Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:48 am 
Harry Vallence

Im interested in peoples thoughts on Curnow. From what I saw he looks unfit and or way off the pace. Seemed very fumbly and was slow off the mark. Also noticed him fall awkwardly on his knee at one point and he had a very worried look on his face. .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:51 am 
Harry Vallence

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Im interested in peoples thoughts on Curnow. From what I saw he looks unfit and or way off the pace. Seemed very fumbly and was slow off the mark. Also noticed him fall awkwardly on his knee at one point and he had a very worried look on his face. .

Just thought it was confidence and opportunity. Looks fit to me. It will come. He's too good but I would have given him a run up the ground

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
Was LOB really that bad? I know he missed a couple of kicks and looked a bit panicked at times but I hope he gained some confidence and can see what’s required

Agro Jr, was pretty sure that it was LOB’s dad calling into SEN last night.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

When the team wins in the fashion of last night, it's a team win. Some players played better than others, that's just to be expected but across the board everyone played with committment and was a member of the team. Here, not going to question even one of our players, all contributed well and not going to condemn anyone who wore the jumper. This is a new era under Voss and as supporters we need to give all our players a clean slate. Let's just enjoy the win.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Had the best footy day starting from the flight to Melbourne...Bluebaggers united. that's another great story. Watched the VFL at 4pm and couldn't believe my eyes what unfolded there. Was this the impact of Vossy I was seeing in the ressies?

9 goals to 0 in first quarter
15 goals to 2 at half time
21 goals to 4 at 3/4 time
Lost the last 5-2 and still won by 17 goals

Philip 3 goals in the 1st. Copped a huge bump in the 3rd.
Carroll is ready. Classiest player on ground. Pendlebury like.
Motlop is ready to roll. All class, tough tackler and elite skills.
Dows 3rd Qtr...must have had 15 disposals
Mirkov won the ruck easily, but not ready to dominate in AFL but will one day sooner than later.
Kemp played Full Forward...ball was going over his head most game...though the goals.
Young looked great and too good for VFL.
Boyd is a tough customer.

Carroll > LOB
Walsh > Setterfield
Motlop > Owies
Dow > Fisher
Stocker > Newman

Marchbank to come in....has more class than Oscar....imo
Cuningham > Williamson

Having said that....great team effort by all. Everyone had their moments.
Read the criticisms in posts above. LOB tried hard, ran hard to cover ground, and up till this week seemed the best option for a wing. Setterfield 2nd Qtr was fantastic and I thought he showed physicality he hadn't shown before. Fisher tried to impose himself on the game especially in the 2nd, he wasn't great or maybe good enough, but he didn't drop his head and tried.

Did I mention I'm a fan of the 2 rucks?
Well I'm still a fan. Pitto best game ever and throwing in TDK really threw a spanner in the works for Tigers. Keepers.

Nothing better than sitting in a Melbourne cafe for brekky with another TCer having Melb papers sprawled over the top our chilli chorizo eggs (that's right Frank...same as you), hot coffee, after a historic win, but nevertheless a huge Carlton win at the G. Nothing is better. Dada dada.

The noise last night drowned out the Tiger army from the first bounce. Who would have thought that could happen. The giant is awakening. I love being part of this Renaissance.

Plenty of improvement to come from the growth in belief, resilience, never say die attitude and a great coaching group...and the fact Walsh Carroll Motlop will improve us in the short term and Stocker in a few weeks later, and Cuningham to come on and put more pressure on spots.

Carroll has to be selected next week after what I saw. Time stands still when he has the ball, and Motlop is ready for the big boys too....imo.

I don't want to go back to Bondi. This is home. I'm loving the vibe in Melbourne. The natural order of things seems it has been corrected.

Thank you Mr Sayers I'm in Blue Heaven

Last edited by bondiblue on Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

79Vintage wrote:
When the team wins in the fashion of last night, it's a team win. Some players played better than others, that's just to be expected but across the board everyone played with committment and was a member of the team. Here, not going to question even one of our players, all contributed well and not going to condemn anyone who wore the jumper. This is a new era under Voss and as supporters we need to give all our players a clean slate. Let's just enjoy the win.

Love this post.

Everyone had a dip, and if they weren't involved enough they through themselves in the coal face.

Team showed great character.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Great win and great to be back at the footy. :smoking:

Love the toughness of our midfield. Matty Kennedy epitomises its strength to me. He's tough, fearless and he plays a selfless game. Not bad for the 14th best midfield according to that used car salesman turd McGuane. :grin:
The media talk up Cerra's class and silkiness but he's a tough kid. Most tackles on the ground last night and he sticks his head in where a a lot of other AFL mids wouldn't.
I don't get the criticism of Setterfield. He runs hard, plays his role, assists the defence but what's more, his field kicking is exceptional.
Love Durdin's workrate, pressure and smarts. He doesn't fumble and if he can stay fit, he'll kick 30+ goals this year.
I've been one of Charlies biggest fans but his effort last night when the opposition had the ball was second rate.

Pitto had a crack but I thought TDK really sparked us in the last 15 minutes. A couple of centre clearances and he made sure he halved any ruck contests at worst.
I'd look to bring in Jack Carrol or Kemp to replace O'Brien. I've said enough about him so I won't harp on about it.
Oscar has a crack but as I said during the week, his kicking and decision making is poor. Several times he had McGovern or another player standing near him. Why would Hamill not instruct him to handball the @#$%&! thing? Frustrating.

All up, a great night. We're slightly deficient in the ruck and for a tall back but apart from that, our list balance is exceptional. Plus we have some real talent running around in the 2's.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:

IMO Curnow is not fit enough to play as well as we expect.
Can't sprint. Seems sluggish and TBH he seemed to be not interested in the chase. He chased half hearted and gave up the chase. Despite half hearted effort if that's the case he looked buggered.

Did not look like one of the best runners in the club

Russell has done an amazing job on the team's fitness. Our last quarter effort against a seasoned team is proof of that. I think there's other plans for Curnow and building his game in the seniors seems the cornerstone of that build up.

The Tigers defenders Grimes, Broad and at times Balta mauled Harry and Charlie which gave TDK and SOS plenty of space to present.

Harry Charlie and TDK are a handful. One day (in September) they will click

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Watched the VFL at 4pm and couldn't believe my eyes what unfolded there. Was this the impact of Vossy I was seeing in the ressies?

9 goals to 0 in first quarter
15 goals to 2 at half time
21 goals to 4 at 3/4 time
Lost the last 5-2 and still won by 17 goals

Philip 3 goals in the 1st. Copped a huge bump in the 3rd.
Carroll is ready. Classiest player on ground. Pendlebury like.
Motlop is ready to roll. All class, tough tackler and elite skills.
Dows 3rd Qtr...must have had 15 disposals
Mirkov won the ruck easily, but not ready to dominate in AFL but will one day sooner than later.
Kemp played Full Forward...ball was going over his head most game...though the goals.
Young looked great and too good for VFL.
Boyd is a tough customer.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

One of the huge frustrations under Teague is that we seemed to keep letting teams beat us the same way: Jayden Stevenson, Dusty Martin, etc. I don't know how much the coaches and match ups had to do with it last night, but I was delighted we weren't beaten by Martin again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

Cazzesman wrote:
Half way through the last they handballed to O'Brien and he fumbled it. I yelled out never give the ball to that man, ever.

A minute later he gets the free in square and the lady infront turned and said with a smile...."Do you want the ball in his hands now? I replied, yes he can kick the goal, so he can run off to the bench and never come back on again, ever!"

Ever, ever, ever!!!

If we have no-one better than him in the 2's then we aren't fairdinkum.

Regards Cazzesman

Totally agree, never again.
I texted my brother i think around 3/4 time the same thing :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

What i really enjoyed is that we had poise and composure out of the middle.
Instead of blind kicks and hacks we constructed relevant clearances.
Voss and co must have had a cracker of a summer :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:56 pm 
formerly King Kenny

I only have one comment, how bloody loud were we as a crowd storming home! And after the Doc goal. The sleeping giant awoke.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The Normal One wrote:
I only have one comment, how bloody loud were we as a crowd storming home! And after the Doc goal. The sleeping giant awoke.

As a lifelong supporter who has lived in Perth, don’t take for granted being apart of a crowd like that. You could hear and feel it through the TV. Amazing stuff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

We've had so many false dawns over the last 20 years, but that felt different. Genuinely felt like a changing of the guard.

Voss in his presser said you can't deny this was a signature win

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
We've had so many false dawns over the last 20 years, but that felt different. Genuinely felt like a changing of the guard.

I agree they looked like an entirely different group and won despite so many being down on the night.
The way they started was scary bad though

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
CK95 wrote:

I agree they looked like an entirely different group and won despite so many being down on the night.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

It looks like the real deal. But it's only week 1

Feels good different to last 10 years...with so many not having big games.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:07 am 
Bob Chitty

the recruitment of Cerra and Hewitt has to be applauded.

Its no longer the Cripps show, is no longer the Walsh show ... over the pre-season we have gone from a very average midfield, to now having 4 to 5 players that can regularly rack up 25+ possessions every game (and can all kick goals) which i think will find itself being one of the best midfields in the comp, come seasons end.

Our output has at least improved by 50 possessions per game and at least 2 goals per game ... by bringing Cerra and Hewitt .. thats a huge instant improvement. a fit cripps, kennedy in form ... if we have improved by at least 80 possesions and 4 goals a game, id be surprised, and thats the difference in winning and losing.

If one of them struggles abit, up steps the others ... if one them starts to dominate, then it brings the others in ... our midfield is a legit handful.

And the most exciting aspect for me, is because we have that solid nucleus it then makes it alot easier for that 2nd tier to step up (aka Kennedy who has been quality for the last two weeks), which improves us again .. (im very interested to see the likes of Stocker/Dow run through the midfield)

I dont think all of them well play like that every week (i hope they do) but that is the point, if 1 is down, we still have 3 or 4 stepping it up ... no longer if cripps is down we struggle ...

Credit to the coaching staff, still alot of work to be done, but the steps againt Dees and Richmond have been fantastic to watch.

re Curnow, he does look off the pace a little bit. I think thats confidence and fitness.
re O'brien, i think people can have a very strict eye on him, thought he was okay and kept at it. I dont think the match up did him any favours (Pickett) who RIchmond seemed to isloate one out, but perhaps that was becuase he was on O'brien ... but i though Pickett was excellent for the tigers, hence the harsh reaction againt O Brien

but you dont win like we did, without it being a full team result. feels like for the first time, we dont have to rely on a special performance from Cripps/Walsh etc.. to get us over the the line. The team will get the win.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

It’s round one
Really good win
The difference from last year
Midfield depth
Kennedy was our second best mid the second half of last year
He has taken his game to another level
Hewitt and Cerra obviously gives us depth
Cerra surprised me with his inside work
Durdin looks really good. We have another small forward to add to the list

Defence is a concern for me
We smashed them at stoppages and forward 50 entries
The defence will be put under a heap of pressure at some stage
Williams and Saad don’t defend very well
Newman is just ok
Small forward opposition were a concern for us last year

And Richmond might not be much chop in 2022
Let’s wait till mid June before we can really get excited

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
It’s round one
Really good win
The difference from last year
Midfield depth
Kennedy was our second best mid the second half of last year
He has taken his game to another level
Hewitt and Cerra obviously gives us depth
Cerra surprised me with his inside work
Durdin looks really good. We have another small forward to add to the list

Defence is a concern for me
We smashed them at stoppages and forward 50 entries
The defence will be put under a heap of pressure at some stage
Williams and Saad don’t defend very well
Newman is just ok
Small forward opposition were a concern for us last year

And Richmond might not be much chop in 2022
Let’s wait till mid June before we can really get excited

Richmond were lucky to kick 10 against a good team defence after the first 5 minutes.

Cerra' inside work has been there but he's taken it to a Voss level

Williams was da man to close down Dusty when he went forward. He didn't get stats for that work but I loved how he was in dusty face and frustrated him. He can defend. So can Saad. Voss has them focussed on their roles

So glad you enjoyed the victory.

IMO it was some of our very own draft picks who were the weakest links during the game but all put in in a very strong team effort in the last quarter

Let's hope we take that form into next weeks game and beyong

Last edited by bondiblue on Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next