Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:55 am 
Bruce Doull

The Dees sure as hell missed Steven Mayo a bit last night...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:55 am 
Geoff Southby

I'm not sure whether you can have good swagger or bad swagger. If you can, there seems to be a nice bit of good confidence swagger building about the place rather than the bad swagger of we just thought we'd show up and it would all happen for us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:09 am 
Rod Ashman

Wait, did we really have 17 or 16 on the field at some point?
If so, for how long?
If not, sorry for my gullibility!

I think McGovern left a huge hole when he went off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:14 am 
Bruce Doull

17th Premiership wrote:
If so, for how long?

That was a game a few years ago against GWS at Marvel. It was them that had 17.

& they still thumped us

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

I'd be playing LOB for the moment. I think his hard running and skilful disposal are outweighing his contested/defensive weaknesses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:47 pm 
Bob Chitty

i might be captain obvious here ... but Cerra/Hewitt are going to make an incredible difference for us.

We have instantly almost doubled our output from our midfielders, and the flow on effect of them will mean more players like kennedy will have more impact ...

i honestly cant remember the last time we had 4 x midfielders with 30+ possessions in a game, its something i constantly reflect on when reviewing games (just how little contribution we get from the others - and not the usual suspects, it might be 1 midfielder or 2, but to get 4 ... unheard of for us) .... and this wasnt against mugs, but what many rate as the best midfield in the comp ...

to think Walsh comes into that Midfield ...

yes i get that its a practice match etc.. but id rather win than lose a practice match, and to what we did against the dees was something.

i have seen more to like from a structure and midfield point of view in 6 quarters of footy that i have watched than i have for a few years. its great. we did struggle going forward with McKay off ... just looked a different side..

and i cant cope the 50m rubbish ... normally we are the undisciplined side, i will never understand why players talk to umpires .. especially now (as frustrating as it would be at times not to vent, the new rules make it so no coversation is had)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:07 pm 
John James

I'm a lot more excited by the year ahead now than I was after the second quarter last week.

Should be a great year!

Go Blues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:10 pm 
Bob Chitty

Was at the game last night and came away feeling overwhelmingly positive about the performance.
Not too concerned about the result as both teams had players out, nothing much on the line and we play the entire second half with a makeshift forward line.
However, I think you can read into things like intensity, game plan and performances from individuals.
The team looked well drilled. Pressure was the best I’ve seen in years. Even guys who have been patchy in the pressure and tackling department brought the heat. Much better use of the handball to release players into space.
Thought Oscar and McGovern were good behind the ball
Durdin and Owies bring great heat and got some reward for effort especially early. Sounds like Durdin will be ok for Rd 1 luckily
Midfield was where we won the game. Crippa, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett all very good. Cerra and Hewett are both tough but also nice users. Add Walsh in hopefully soon and that’s looking like the best midfield we’ve had in close to a decade
Having said all that, we need to bring it round 1. Counts for nothing if we pack it in vs Richmond
Overall great night at the footy and looking forward to Rd 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

I also wouldn't underplay the role that McGovern played.

For me the key takeaways were:
1) Midfield - tougher/bigger, better, more even
2) McGovern mopping up everything
3) Handballs to release and then targeted kicking rather than aimless, quick quick forward
4) (Small) forward pressure
5) Individual improvement from new or improved personnel e.g. Cerra, Hewitt, Kennedy, O'Brien, McGovern, TDK, Owies and Durdin. AND CRIPPA back to his best.

The big unknown is whether we can bring that under the increased pressure of the real season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Seen a bit of it back and it just reinforced what I thought. We played well. We moved the ball really well at times and there was an excitement, a confidence, that I haven't seen for a while. Load was shared and players looked like they knew what they were doing.

However.

This was not a game of H&A level footy nor finals, we know that. Not because of the time of year, but because, as I said earlier, the openness of the midfield.

The only side that allowed more midfield space last season than Melbourne did last night was... Us.

Melbourne were trying. But they were not playing with any of the structures they ground sides sown with last year. They didn't even appear to set out to do that.

Voss will know this. Anyone watching will know this. It was like comparing footy to cricket last night in terms of H&A to pre season.

But fk it. We won and it was fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Finally we have a midfield. Genuine optimism now as a result.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yeah, Dees had a month less preaseason than us effectively also.

I'm a bit too burnt by the ghosts of preseasons past to get too excited. It all starts against the Tiges, who I think will be back to top 4 this year. Would love to knock them off round 1

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I am interested to hear who you have earmarked for the wing in round 1, Stef and BV?
More importantly, looking to the 2nd half of the season, who do you see as a good fit for the wing?
No argument, just curious and I'm a Glass Half full with the prospects, on our list, beyond LOB and Setterfield, to fill the 2 wings.

I can see this team get better, and tougher and play finals.

GO BLUES ...

I've posted it several times. I'd like to see Kemp on one wing and when Walsh comes back in, I think there will be a midfield/wing/half forward rotation with maybe Walsh, Cerra and Fisher.
I'd like to see O'Brien make it as a good AFL player but IMHO, you're seeing a different player to me at the moment.
But that's all a part of being a Carlton supporter, isn't it? Differing opinions and all with a bit of reality in them and a bit of mayo as well. :wink:

Good aoya BV.

I've enjoyed a rippa loooong lunch with guys and gals who love footy or have no idea.
The ones with no idea love Carlton now. The underdogs.

But you still didn't answer the question. No drama. That's your call. I asked did LOB play well last night?: that's all.
There's no media, no election slide, no cost in honesty, nothing, Just Talking Carlton.

Thanks for your IMHO. I'm aware of your thoughts on Kemp and Walsh on a wing...but ...they didn't play. So we have to judge what's in front of us and what's available.
I'm not seeing a different player than you. I'm seeing what is before me, and with that big hole on the wing I'll take best available; that's all from me.
I'm happy, like many others what LOB gives us right now.

Do you really think Voss will play Kemp on a wing round 1?
I want him too, please do, but I can't see Voss trialing now given the real deal is starting in 2 weeks time. I'm just hoping Kemp is in the 23 picked TBH.

I am a fan of 2 rucks and 2 tall mobile wingmen. That's never been a secret.
Hell, I loved the idea of Waite and Walker on a wing and I saw one or the other but not both for team balance.
I love the idea of Marchbank and Plowman as wingmen since the day we got them, from what I saw at GWS "live".
So, Kemp and Charlie on a wing turns me on too, (if we had a plethora of KPF's). Kerna has retired, so Harry can't double up with him.
But that depends on Walsh or Cerra there, and if DeKoning is peaking, and with Harry and Jack as tall options tall options....I just blew.

I'm not differing or adding mayo, I'm just looking for what is likely, and the impact of the selection, before I put money down. Hence interested in your opinion. You're not giving me much, nor the likelihood of what may happen in round !. Hence, LOB plays wing. Life goes on, regardless.

Undefeated in the preseason. I'll take that.
Must be what Prozac feels like.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
I'd be playing LOB for the moment. I think his hard running and skilful disposal are outweighing his contested/defensive weaknesses.

That's all I'm saying too, Stef.
He's shown some improvement in areas I didn't think he would or could.
Good luck to him and Carlton.

We can only improve from there when there's pressure for his spot too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:

They also ended the season with a clean bill of health.
They also had a faultless preesason.
They did extras behind the seasons with a view to go back 2 back.
They have Tomlison AND Dunstan add to the group.
They hit the ground running with their intra club sims.
They hit the goround running with an almost 100 point win against the upcoming Kangas only last week.

They had their best midfielders being served/ spoon fed by their dominant ruck man, Gawn.
They were trying their best and did well around the ground.
The wanted to win, and you could tell.
They got smashed in the midfield, with Walsh missing from ours.
That's the engine room, where it all starts.

I expect us to go in even harder against those pricks in yellow and black: thay've had their day in the sun...too much sun for my liking, and Voss' I bet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:

I'm a bit too burnt by the ghosts of preseasons past to get too excited. It all starts against the Tiges, who I think will be back to top 4 this year. Would love to knock them off round 1

Did they?
I may be wrong but I thought most clubs started pre season around the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Finally we have a midfield. Genuine optimism now as a result.

:thumbsup:

add Walsh.....

and a fitter version of others..........ie Martin, possisbly Williams when Stocker comes in.....FMD!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:20 pm 
Bert Deacon

bondiblue wrote:
I am interested to hear who you have earmarked for the wing in round 1, Stef and BV?
More importantly, looking to the 2nd half of the season, who do you see as a good fit for the wing?
No argument, just curious and I'm a Glass Half full with the prospects, on our list, beyond LOB and Setterfield, to fill the 2 wings.
Pardon my intrusion into the great wing debate of '22, but it got me thinking about who I'd have in there.

I'd definitely have LOB on one wing for round 1. Possession is 9/10ths of the law (isn't it?) and as the incumbent through the practice games, I'd be surprised if he wasn't retained given solid contributions in both games and no major disasters. Yes, he has flaws (questionably soft, panicky decision making under heat), but I think we've also got to acknowledge what he CAN do (the running power, the neat delivery) and compare that against the other contenders for the position.

On the other wing I'd start with Cerra for round 1. That may smell a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul, but I just feel we've got a bit more depth through the true midfield than on the wings. I'd have Crippa, Hewett and Kennedy doing the lion's share of CBAs, with cameos from Fisher, Ed and Martin. I wouldn't leave Cerra out there all day, he'd get his chance to have run through the middle too, with Fisher and Martin deputising while Cerra's in there tearing it up.

As the season wears on I'd have Walsh and Cerra waxing on one wing, hopefully LOB solidifying his place on the other and fingers crossed someone like Carroll gets a chance to stake his claim at some point. I'm hoping we don't have to rely on Setterfield, Newnes or Cottrell to cover a wing in too many games.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

kezza wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Did they?
I may be wrong but I thought most clubs started pre season around the same time.
They do, you're right. Unofficially we had a month to rest up before them though.

Anyway, bondi's sold it to me. Just GIVE us the cup...!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
If so, for how long?

That was a game a few years ago against GWS at Marvel. It was them that had 17.

& they still thumped us
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/08/05/the-wrap-up-gws-lose-four-key-players-but-embarrass-carlton/

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next