Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Plowman and Setterfield look very very poor

Williamson also?

Not poor, but made some poor decisions
Peripheral players.

Sample size on Plow not big enough to judge but I've always liked him and Marchy to be our tall wingers like they did at gws

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

A lot to like.
Good to see them win after they pulled up stumps and experimented a bit.

Lots of players fighting for spots round 1.

Gov a few mistakes but he will get better and better at that role

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

Agree SB. Voss threw the team around at half time and also rested the complete forward line, so to hold on and beat a very frustrated premiership team was satisfying. Can’t wait to see us R1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

No team will give up the corridor like Melbourne did tonight in the H&A season.

But a lot to like, particularly our field kicking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:00 am 
Craig Bradley

After 2 years of playing 'exhibition' footy under Teague, it looks like we're now going to be a tackling and pressure team. And I like it a lot.
We've had talented midfielders in recent years, but it looks like we've finally found a midfield. Not only more talent. But they're sharing the load and playing like a team within the team.
Also like how we're now getting goals out of small forwards and midfielders.

Crippa bossed it. I didn't think we'd see this from him again.
Kennedy was outstanding. And Cerra and Hewett not far behind. Cerra looks like absolute class.
McGovern, Saad and Durdin were terrific.
Owies and Fisher pretty good as well. Fisher looks a lot stronger this year.
Pittonet was good against class opposition.

Another encouraging effort from LOB. None of the timid stuff ups this week. Even laid a few tackles (although he's technique is poor and will concede frees).
Liked the spoiling of OMac and Young. Young looks like he's got lovely skills when given the time, but panicked and hacked the ball out of defence too often.

Thought we could have done a better job to ice the game late.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:41 am 
Bruce Doull

Didn't catch the whole game but it appeared there was a lot more to like than be concerned about.

That Kennedy pack mark in the 4th where he just clunked it with his hands was quality.

The umpire abuse rule is an interesting one. If Vossy absolutely lays down the law on it then we can come out a goal a game for the better. The one against Petracca looked ridiculously harsh but if that's the new landscape then so be it.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:45 am 
Harry Vallence

A lot to like and you can see Voss’s DNA already which is impressive as I thought it would take at least the season to get some of our downhill skiers to apply the pressure

I must say that I LOVE the tightening of the time wasting rule as I was constantly yelling out to give the ball back over the last few years.

I am not so sure about the umpire dissent interpretation, however having watched local footy (Covid years excepted) the amount of crap that 15 year old kids have to cop whilst umpiring I accept that changes need to be made and will support them 100%

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:58 am 
Geoff Southby

I loved Fishers game. Not only was he everywhere he looked like he had purpose. In years gone by he has looked lively and skilful when he gathers but then it’s some silly twist, sidestep, run a bit and handball. Indicative of our coaching back then perhaps. Love the way he moves and I want him to succeed. Go Fish.

Gosh I hope this wasn’t a one off for Kennedy wowee.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:25 am 
Stephen Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
Plowman and Setterfield look very very poor

Williamson also?

Not poor, but made some poor decisions
Peripheral players.

Sample size on Plow not big enough to judge but I've always liked him and Marchy to be our tall wingers like they did at gws

AFL website says Plowman played the full reserves game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

So Mick McGuanes 14th ranked midfield had 20 more clearances than his top ranked midfield?
He's a great wordsmith Mick but in reality, he's a used car salesman conning the Herald Sun for a job.
At least the clubs see through the hyperbole. That's why he's coaching suburban footy and not in the AFL system.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:55 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Making the contest
First to the ball
Keep possession
Be Daring
Break the lines
Tackle Hard
Hit hard

Mosquito Fleet

LOB looks like Vossys making.
LOB runs harder than anyone.Has always been a good runner. Just doesn't run to the right spots and spends a lot of time watching the ball kicked over his head.
LOB showing plenty of physicalityhas never shirked the physicality, but always panics in congestion as per highlights with Plowmans goal after the siren. LOB gets the handball sidesteps nicely moves back into traffic is confronted by Petracca and handballs back to Fisher who has a Melbourne player standing right beside him. This is what I have seen him regularly do and I would describe as typical of his play when he gets the ball. He was clear to use his left foot and he should have. Poor decision.
LOB becoming a man before our eyesI will be happy if he just becomes an average footballer who can play his role.
LOB a lock for the wing come round 1being given every chance. I'm just not sold , yet!

Hewlett: "BP "the quiet achiever
Plays hard and close
Pin point disposal
Measured and connects
Strong and stands up

Vossy has the cattle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

carntheblues wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Making the contest
First to the ball
Keep possession
Be Daring
Break the lines
Tackle Hard
Hit hard

Mosquito Fleet

LOB runs harder than anyone.Has always been a good runner. Just doesn't run to the right spots and spends a lot of time watching the ball kicked over his head.
LOB showing plenty of physicalityhas never shirked the physicality, but always panics in congestion as per highlights with Plowmans goal after the siren. LOB gets the handball sidesteps nicely moves back into traffic is confronted by Petracca and handballs back to Fisher who has a Melbourne player standing right beside him. This is what I have seen him regularly do and I would describe as typical of his play when he gets the ball. He was clear to use his left foot and he should have. Poor decision.
LOB becoming a man before our eyesI will be happy if he just becomes an average footballer who can play his role.
LOB a lock for the wing come round 1being given every chance. I'm just not sold , yet!

Plays hard and close
Pin point disposal
Measured and connects
Strong and stands up

Vossy has the cattle

:thumbsup:
See Stefchooks post above for an accurate assessment of LOB's game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:21 am 
Geoff Southby

I was at a wedding yesterday and did not see the game , so , thanks to all for your reports . Sounds like there is definitely improvement but with more work to be done . Reading between the lines it sounds like Voss is gonna do it his way whether you like it or not . And thats great as far as i am concerned coz strength at the top filters down . Only a fool would argue with Voss . ......................with great respect to Brendan Bolton and David Teague who are great footy people our footy club is a big big club that thrives on big big names . Pedestrian work horses just aint our style . Glamour , hype , thats in our DNA . Voss brings that to our Club by the truckload . As an old time Carlton man i feel we have gone back to our roots and i could not be happier .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
Round 1 can’t come soon enough for Blues fans after their five-point win over Melbourne on Thursday night.

Under Michael Voss, Carlton looked strong and dynamic at the contest and had a genuine gameplan, holding off the reigning premiers despite playing just 17 men in the second half.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/03/blues-midfield-mcgoverns-swing-and-umpire-abuse-what-did-we-learn-from-blues/

Wasn't long ago when we played against 17 and got smashed.

Tables have turned.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:35 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Heavs wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Heavs wrote:
What's the new interpretation they are banging on about for 50s?

Not allowed to show anger towards umpire

Not sure if it was a 50 against Petracca

Is that legit the new interpretation? Fmd.

Who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:45 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
A lot to like.
Good to see them win after they pulled up stumps and experimented a bit.

Lots of players fighting for spots round 1.

Gov a few mistakes but he will get better and better at that role

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Everybody made mistakes, but the good stuff he did was a revelation for me.
He is playing confident.

Speaking of revelations, and none perfect but I didn't see this coming for 2022:

Durdin. He can't be left out. The poise amongst the energy, pressure and frenzy he creates...with his small mates reminded me of Setanta's little helpers
De Koning. I didn't think he was that fit. He brings the ball down exactly where WE want IF he doesn't mark it.
Gov: I didn't think he was going to make it.
LOB: I wrote him off, and thought our cupboard was bare for wing with Doch ill, and relying on Philp, to develop of Honey to release martin. Much improved.
Fisher: Playing HHF and helping mids on the outside to add numbers to Cripps Hewett Cerra
Kennedy: I had him in my best 22 for 2022, but TBH, I was actually hoping he would make it, but wasn't 100% he would.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Quote:
Round 1 can’t come soon enough for Blues fans after their five-point win over Melbourne on Thursday night.

Under Michael Voss, Carlton looked strong and dynamic at the contest and had a genuine gameplan, holding off the reigning premiers despite playing just 17 men in the second half.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/03/blues-midfield-mcgoverns-swing-and-umpire-abuse-what-did-we-learn-from-blues/

Tables have turned.

I believe at a certain point in that game it was actually 16.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Making the contest
First to the ball
Keep possession
Be Daring
Break the lines
Tackle Hard
Hit hard

Mosquito Fleet

Plays hard and close
Pin point disposal
Measured and connects
Strong and stands up

Vossy has the cattle

:thumbsup:
See Stefchooks post above for an accurate assessment of LOB's game.

I posted that at half time, and lie most Carltonians, I was a tad excited. Nevertheless, imo he was doing really well, and not average ... and even at the end of the game, I thought he played the wing role very well for a team with a gaping hole in that position.

I was speaking to a lot of Carlton mates, and Dees mates during game an they thought he played great at the time. Not one of a dozen or so people I was liaising with said otherwise. A couple of those blokes played AFL. Since the game, I still think he had a good game, and others I've liaised during this morning's bliss tyhought LOB was good too. Its funny, but there's always 2 sides of the story, so maybe somewhere in the middle is the truth about most players.

From reading Stef's comments I'm not sure if he thought LOB played a good game or not.
He singled out a couple mistakes LOB made, and mentioned his something about his past flaws.
I didn't see him "Always" panic. I think that's an exaggeration. He looked commanding at times last night, and confident. Last night that is.
I've seen just about every Carlton player panic and give off the ball to a player in worse position. No one can deny that. It happens. Ditto poor decisions.

Like I said during the week, Poor fella imo gets a bit more scrutinised and pigeon holed more than most players on fans sites.
Everyone makes mistakes. I thought he was our best wingman last night.

Prior to the season, our biggest hole, was the wing position.
I will be happy IF LOB can play that role this year, because we need 2 of them, and Setterfield doesn't fit the Voss mould imo, in terms of physicality. I think he is soft and avoids contests when its his turn. But like LOB, was the best available last night for the wing role.

With Walsh out we don't have another wingman if it is to be walsh or cerra
With Philp and carroll still developing we can't just throw them in that spot till they are fit and in form, for now.
If Honey breaks into the team, maybe Martin can be released to play wing.

Personally, I don't care if its LOB or Setterfield or Carroll or whoever it is that plays the wing role well this year. I just want it attended by the best available. At this stage of the preseason, I have no doubt whatsoever that LOB is a lock for one of the wings. Its a week by week proposition. We need another in the short term imo...by short term I mean round 1. I don't think we can find another 2 in a fortnight.

I am interested to hear who you have earmarked for the wing in round 1, Stef and BV?
More importantly, looking to the 2nd half of the season, who do you see as a good fit for the wing?
No argument, just curious and I'm a Glass Half full with the prospects, on our list, beyond LOB and Setterfield, to fill the 2 wings.

I can see this team get better, and tougher and play finals.

GO BLUES ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Quote:

Tables have turned.

I believe at a certain point in that game it was actually 16.

:lol:

Well there you go.

We did bloody well to hold on.
Players were spent in that last quarter.

God I love Carlton!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:43 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
I am interested to hear who you have earmarked for the wing in round 1, Stef and BV?
More importantly, looking to the 2nd half of the season, who do you see as a good fit for the wing?
No argument, just curious and I'm a Glass Half full with the prospects, on our list, beyond LOB and Setterfield, to fill the 2 wings.

I can see this team get better, and tougher and play finals.

GO BLUES ...

I've posted it several times. I'd like to see Kemp on one wing and when Walsh comes back in, I think there will be a midfield/wing/half forward rotation with maybe Walsh, Cerra and Fisher.
I'd like to see O'Brien make it as a good AFL player but IMHO, you're seeing a different player to me at the moment.
But that's all a part of being a Carlton supporter, isn't it? Differing opinions and all with a bit of reality in them and a bit of mayo as well. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next