Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Injury Thread 2022
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:51 am 
Rod Ashman

FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Look going into 2022 losing Casboult and not drafting another ruck and having Mirkov not ready was dumb

We have Mirkov, Pittonet and TDK. You want a 4th ruck? How many lists have 4 ruckmen? None I'd suggest.
It's overkill and unbalances the list. We had O'Mac and Young as back ups. It's just a shit year for our talls, but we still have adequate replacements. TDK is developing and JSOS is serviceable.
I loved Casboult for his determination and service to the club but his time was up as a Carlton player.

I see TDK as a second ruck/fwd. Mirkov is being developed so is almost like having a rookie. I would have had another mature ruckman on our list and hope we do for next year or so as Mirkov develops. Having a mature ruck available each week is extremely valuable

Yep, I cringe every time TDK goes up at centre bounce...even when we had Pitto available. I see TDK as such a valuable asset as pinch hit in the ruck and rest/play forward.
Much more of this 1st ruck stuff and we will grind him, and his body, down to a much lesser version of himself. We did it with Kreuzer too.

Ruck is such and injurious position and you have seen what it does to athletic men (read Nic Nat). Imagine Nic Nat without the injuries as pinch hit ruck now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:53 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Look going into 2022 losing Casboult and not drafting another ruck and having Mirkov not ready was dumb

We have Mirkov, Pittonet and TDK. You want a 4th ruck? How many lists have 4 ruckmen? None I'd suggest.

As listed on their own websites

Collingwood - Begg Grundy Cox & Cameron
Essendon* - Draper Phillips Wright Bryan
Fremantle - Darcy Lobbe Meek Benning
Geelong - Stanley Conway Ceglar Ratugolea Neale Blicavs
Suns - Chol Casboult Witts Moyle Conroy
Hawks - McEvoy Reeves Lynch Ramsden
North - Goldstein Xerri CCJ Edwards
Richmond - Nankervis Soldo Ryan Colina
St Kilda - Marshall Ryder Hayes Adams Campbell Heath
Sydney - Naismith Hickey Sinclair Ladhams McAndrew
WCE - NicNat B.Williams J.Williams Jamieson Strnadica

Clubs like Port who have three are now having to use stop gaps like Finlayson to do their ruckwork
Melbourne with just one injury (Gawn) now have Jackson the ruck supported by Weideman or Brown?
Bulldogs have English Street Martin and another if you count Darcy, Schache or Cordy as rucks (they have all played there)

We have Pittonet TDK & Mirkov. Jack does a great job but is a fill in/back up. Mirkov could fill in for a game or two but certainly wouldn't last a season. TDK still developing and I feel he is more Fwd/2nd Ruck. If TDK went down at the moment we would be in real trouble

Personally, I would want a Goldstein or a Sinclair as mature depth (would also be cheap) and part of development, and a player like a Ballenden who can play Ruck & any KP. I look at our reserves every week and we really lack size

Last edited by FarmerBlue on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

muzza wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

It's overkill and unbalances the list. We had O'Mac and Young as back ups. It's just a shit year for our talls, but we still have adequate replacements. TDK is developing and JSOS is serviceable.
I loved Casboult for his determination and service to the club but his time was up as a Carlton player.

I see TDK as a second ruck/fwd. Mirkov is being developed so is almost like having a rookie. I would have had another mature ruckman on our list and hope we do for next year or so as Mirkov develops. Having a mature ruck available each week is extremely valuable

Yep, I cringe every time TDK goes up at centre bounce...even when we had Pitto available. I see TDK as such a valuable asset as pinch hit in the ruck and rest/play forward.
Much more of this 1st ruck stuff and we will grind him, and his body, down to a much lesser version of himself. We did it with Kreuzer too.

Ruck is such and injurious position and you have seen what it does to athletic men (read Nic Nat). Imagine Nic Nat without the injuries as pinch hit ruck now.

Agree. How many Rucks get through 22 games or even close? It's a bloody tough position

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:50 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What rubbish.

Ruck is arguably the most important position in the game now with the 6 6 6 rule.

Many pundits have said since Pitto went down he might be our most important player.

But some of you clowns think it is fine we have just 1 fully experienced and skilled ruck on the list. That is laughable and amateur hour thinking.

TDK is 2 years off being a fully fledged ruck.
Mirkov isn't ready.

Thats it

Omac and Young? Are you serious ??

This isn't about mediocre depth.
It's about players who can actually do the job properly.

We have 1 guy who has true bona fide experience in the position.

Even if our other talls hadn't got injured we'd still be struggling in this spot as we only have 1 proven ruck.

I don't want to just get by I want to have a fair chance to win the ruck contest every week. You won't get that with the Omacs.

Also it is one of the most injury prone positions positions on the ground

BV you often make good comments but your so far off the mark on this one it's harious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I really don't see the value in a developing/project ruck as they seem so easy to just grab from another team when you need one. Clubs need 3-4 on their lists but generally only 2-3 will get regular opportunity. So most clubs have 1-2 looking for more game time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

jezzarules wrote:
I really don't see the value in a developing/project ruck as they seem so easy to just grab from another team when you need one. Clubs need 3-4 on their lists but generally only 2-3 will get regular opportunity. So most clubs have 1-2 looking for more game time.

Gawn, Grundy & English were all taken as young developing rucks. If you get the right one I like it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

FarmerBlue wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

Gawn, Grundy & English were all taken as young developing rucks. If you get the right one I like it

Obviously all rucks in the system were drafted at some point and there will be some success stories. There would be many more don't make it and waste years of club resources.

Every season there seems to be a handful of them switch teams for relatively low value.
Eg us getting Pitto whilst losing Phillips.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

jezzarules wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

Obviously all rucks in the system were drafted at some point and there will be some success stories. There would be many more don't make it and waste years of club resources.

Every season there seems to be a handful of them switch teams for relatively low value.
Eg us getting Pitto whilst losing Phillips.

That’s the gamble with all draftees. My take is if you have a young developing ruck like Mirkov then you also need a mature back up. Get it right like with Gawn or English it can be a game changer. Too important a role.

Last edited by FarmerBlue on Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Injury Thread 2022
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

jezzarules wrote:

Spot on. Do not waste a pick on them. You can pick up serviceable rucks for nothing from other clubs. Richmond win a flag with a midfielder! Just poach them from a club that has a few of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

AIRCAV wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

Spot on. Do not waste a pick on them. You can pick up serviceable rucks for nothing from other clubs. Richmond win a flag with a midfielder! Just poach them from a club that has a few of them.

Melbourne win a flag with two they developed. It's not one size fits all. Need to look at all avenues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Kreuzer
De Konig
Casboult
Lobbe
Phillips

Kreuzer
De Konig
Casboult
Pittonet

De Konig
Casboult
Pittonet
Mirkov (MSD)

De Konig
Pittonet
Mirkov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Watching Levi limp through every game he played last year, unable to apply forward pressure told us all his time was up, and needed to be replaced. He had knee problems the previous year, and he wasn't getting better.

Club did the right thing delisting him imo, but I was expecting to add another ruck too.

I'm a fan of playing 2 rucks (not 2 Mick Nolan's either) in Finals. Both rucks would need to be in form and a competitive beast to compete with the big boys at the pointy end of the season.

I disagree that 4 rucks disrupts the list. Most teams have 4 rucks, and its not unusual for us to do so either. In fact, I think we learned after that horrible stretch from 2002 when we had with only 2 bonafide rucks we needed 4: one to support the 2 bonafide rucks, and another developing and rucking in the reserves to learn their craft.

In 2003 Allan and French were our 2 rucks with Angwin, Beasy and McKernan as 'crap' back ups. Does anyone remember Cory in the centre bounces, jumping too early, missing the ball completely....We learned from that period we needed 4 rucks due to form and injury and a need for one in the reserves too. French was forced to carry the ruck on his own and the reserves didnt even have a ruck. Same happened to us this year when Mirkov did his ankle.

Then we added 196cm Cain "The courageous" Ackland to the ruck squad in 2006...and that wasn't the answer because he didn't play like a bonafide ruck.

2008 We picked Kreuzer to add to Warnock, Hampson and Jacob, who also had ruck support from Setanta and 196cm Cloke.

2012 Warnock Kreuzer Hampson and Casboult with some cameo support from Rowe when injuries forced our hand with Warnock and Hampson injured.

2022 should tell us 4 is the number of rucks we need on the list. With injuries to Pittonet and for a few weeks Mirkov, we had a lone developing ruck, TDK, take the mantle as No. 1 ruck. When Mirkov wasn't injured he wasn't and hasn't even been selected, so a bonafide ruck in the reserves would be great now whilst Mirkov develops.

Delisting Levi and replacing him with no one, left us with a 24yo Pittonet who is developing his ruck craft, TDK as the developing ruckman, and another on training wheels who we can't use in fairness to the player and the team being Mirkov.

I believe that less than 4 rucks leaves our list unbalanced.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

A mature age ruck would be a list clogger unless in an emergency where we are playing for a grand final berth and all our rucks are injured. I’d much rather Mirkov gets as much time playing first ruck as possible in the vfl.

I bet a bonafide mature ruck would be more useful for us this year if we lost our 2 rucks Pitto and TDK to injury than Mirkov.

In our reserves, Crocker or Glass McAsker play at FF. I'd rather have Mirkov and the mature ruckman waxing the ruck and FF position that what we have now....and play Mirkov as the No. 1 if fast tracking his developmnent asks for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

muzza wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Sorry, I know you're not the only one to hold that opinion, and that's cool, but I can't buy that theory.

In 2010 when Kreuzer did his knee he was not only a great kick at goals, I had never heard anyone suggest he shouldn't be playing, or that he didn't belong in the seniors. He polled well in the club BnF, and was a great kick for goal. His football went downhill, along with his kicking after the ACL.

When he returned in 2011 he was well down on the player he was and that's when the blame by some was put on the club. The club didnt cause the ACL: footy did.

IMO its a Fallacy to suggest the club ruined Kreuzer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

As listed on their own websites

Collingwood - Begg Grundy Cox & Cameron
Essendon** - Draper Phillips Wright Bryan
Fremantle - Darcy Lobbe Meek Benning
Geelong - Stanley Conway Ceglar Ratugolea Neale Blicavs
Suns - Chol Casboult Witts Moyle Conroy
Hawks - McEvoy Reeves Lynch Ramsden
North - Goldstein Xerri CCJ Edwards
Richmond - Nankervis Soldo Ryan Colina
St Kilda - Marshall Ryder Hayes Adams Campbell Heath
Sydney - Naismith Hickey Sinclair Ladhams McAndrew
WCE - NicNat B.Williams J.Williams Jamieson Strnadica

Clubs like Port who have three are now having to use stop gaps like Finlayson to do their ruckwork
Melbourne with just one injury (Gawn) now have Jackson the ruck supported by Weideman or Brown?
Bulldogs have English Street Martin and another if you count Darcy, Schache or Cordy as rucks (they have all played there)

We have Pittonet TDK & Mirkov. Jack does a great job but is a fill in/back up. Mirkov could fill in for a game or two but certainly wouldn't last a season. TDK still developing and I feel he is more Fwd/2nd Ruck. If TDK went down at the moment we would be in real trouble

Personally, I would want a Goldstein or a Sinclair as mature depth (would also be cheap) and part of development, and a player like a Ballenden who can play Ruck & any KP. I look at our reserves every week and we really lack size

There you go. I thought 4 was the norm, and imo, the standard, and we failed to fill the spot. How good would it have been to have a Goldy, Sinclair or the bloke who was once the 4th ruck at WCE, now the first ruck at the Swans, namely Hickey?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

We had a 4th developing ruck as a rookie called Sam Jacobs. He became an AA ruckman.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jezzarules wrote:
Kreuzer
De Konig
Casboult
Lobbe
Phillips

I forgot about Lobbe and Philips....5 rucks...maybe one too many IF there's a hole elsewhere on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

jezzarules wrote:
Kreuzer
De Konig
Casboult
Lobbe
Phillips

Kreuzer
De Konig
Casboult
Pittonet

De Konig
Casboult
Pittonet
Mirkov (MSD)

De Konig
Pittonet
Mirkov

Proves my point. We were poor and TDK was developing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
Kreuzer
De Konig
Casboult
Lobbe
Phillips

I forgot about Lobbe and Philips....5 rucks...maybe one too many IF there's a hole elsewhere on the list.

Have to remember this is when SOS was reshaping the list and we filled a few holes with fill ins like Lobbe. TDK was about where Mirkov is now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:

I bet a bonafide mature ruck would be more useful for us this year if we lost our 2 rucks Pitto and TDK to injury than Mirkov.

In our reserves, Crocker or Glass McAsker play at FF. I'd rather have Mirkov and the mature ruckman waxing the ruck and FF position that what we have now....and play Mirkov as the No. 1 if fast tracking his developmnent asks for that.

100%. Only have to watch the Reserves to see we lack badly in size. I hope next year we add another ruck and a another KPP at least

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 51  Next