Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

BigBlueWave wrote:
St Kilda looked a lot cleaner with their ball movement.

:?
St Kilda looked pressured and rushed IMHO. Our ball movement was much cleaner. We handed them goals with basic errors from inexperienced or fringe players. That shouldn't happen once we put Doc, Plowman, Stocker, Martin, McKay etc back into the side.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:04 am 
John James

Blue Vain wrote:
Lots to like. Lots to work on.
3 All Australians to come back into the side. Cripps was excellent. Loved the game of Kennedy.
Cerra is classy, Durdin and Fisher create plenty of pressure and pace on the ball.
Backline is still a concern. What's the point of playing O'Mac and not putting him on King? I suspect Weitering calls the shots on defensive match ups and his ego wont let King go to someone else. The defensive coach should call the shots. At stages McDonald was playing on mid size forwards. That's pointless.

Boyd apparently is a beautiful kick but he was a turnover machine today. Nic Newman frustrates the hell out of me. The most one sided player in the AFL. With stocker, Docherty and Plowman to come back in, he should be first defender out of the side.
O'Brien has been mentioned by others. He's always lacked strength in the contest and crumbles under pressure. I thought Pitto was very good today, as were Saad, Williams, Owies and Setterfield.
Philp seemed to struggle unfortunately IMHO.

Love Silvagni's workrate but his kicking is poor by AFL standards. Put a couple of passes on Charlies head that should be an easy lace out chest mark. Both times Charlie got smashed. Not good enough.

Loved the pressure and intent around the ball. The Saints were rushed 90% of the time. That's the best tackling, pressuring Carlton team I've seen in a couple of decades. Is it sustainable? Hopefully so.

For round 1, in Harry, Doc, Plowman, Stocker, Martin.
Out Williamson, Newman, Boyd, Philp, O'Brien. Kemp to the wing.

Pretty much covers my observations from The Legends Stand yesterday. Totally agree re Newman. That turn over when he refused to run onto his right side was embarrassing. JSOS worked so hard but yes, his disposal is not good enough. Agree with the outs. Cerra gives us the class we have craved, not sold on Williams. Go Blues!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Beijing Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
3 All Australians to come back into the side. Cripps was excellent. Loved the game of Kennedy.
Cerra is classy, Durdin and Fisher create plenty of pressure and pace on the ball.
Backline is still a concern. What's the point of playing O'Mac and not putting him on King? I suspect Weitering calls the shots on defensive match ups and his ego wont let King go to someone else. The defensive coach should call the shots. At stages McDonald was playing on mid size forwards. That's pointless.

Boyd apparently is a beautiful kick but he was a turnover machine today. Nic Newman frustrates the hell out of me. The most one sided player in the AFL. With stocker, Docherty and Plowman to come back in, he should be first defender out of the side.
O'Brien has been mentioned by others. He's always lacked strength in the contest and crumbles under pressure. I thought Pitto was very good today, as were Saad, Williams, Owies and Setterfield.

Love Silvagni's workrate but his kicking is poor by AFL standards. Put a couple of passes on Charlies head that should be an easy lace out chest mark. Both times Charlie got smashed. Not good enough.

Loved the pressure and intent around the ball. The Saints were rushed 90% of the time. That's the best tackling, pressuring Carlton team I've seen in a couple of decades. Is it sustainable? Hopefully so.

Pretty much covers my observations from The Legends Stand yesterday. Totally agree re Newman. That turn over when he refused to run onto his right side was embarrassing. JSOS worked so hard but yes, his disposal is not good enough. Agree with the outs. Cerra gives us the class we have craved, not sold on Williams. Go Blues!

Lucky you in the Legends stand.

What are your expectations of Williams? Midfielder? HBF?

Based on what you saw yesterday what areas of his game does he need to improve on? Weaknesses?

I thought he was out 3rd best out there, after Cripps and Saad, but that was from TV land.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:50 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Based on what you saw yesterday what areas of his game does he need to improve on? Weaknesses?

I thought he was out 3rd best out there, after Cripps and Saad, but that was from TV land.

I agree. I thought both Williams and Saad were great off half back!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:16 pm 
John James

carntheblues wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Maybe my expectations are too high for him. He seemed rushed and hassled when disposing of the ball. Our side lacks class and quality. I will leave it at that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:01 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Blue Vain wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

St Kilda looked pressured and rushed IMHO. Our ball movement was much cleaner. We handed them goals with basic errors from inexperienced or fringe players. That shouldn't happen once we put Doc, Plowman, Stocker, Martin, McKay etc back into the side.

Its amazing how 2 people can watch a game and see it in an entirely different way. I watched the game again today and have not changed my opinion. With the exception of the first quarter, St Kilda seemed far cleaner, particularly going inside 50. On the other hand we struggled all day to hit targets.

Can't wait to get Stocker back ... he really adds some pressure in the back half.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Voss answers questions about yesterday’s game and the season ahead:
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/1066 ... 5749263001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Beijing Blue wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Maybe my expectations are too high for him. He seemed rushed and hassled when disposing of the ball. Our side lacks class and quality. I will leave it at that.

We will see as the year progresses. A couple of the 50 metre passes from Williams were truly amazing: pin point accurate.

Hey those photos who posted on BF were pretty good :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Weapons.

Add Docherty and Stocker to the mix and no one will be able to sit on all of them in the backline.

Have a feeling from Voss' presser today when both Stocker and Docherty return Docherty will play on a wing, perhaps defensive wing.

If OBrien keeps improving his ability to run defensively and offensively for 4 quarters are another weapon.

I'm liking what we are building from defense. Spewin' about Jones, but thankful we have OMac and Young.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
We will see as the year progresses. A couple of the 50 metre passes from Williams were truly amazing: pin point accurate.

Yep, I agree. McGoverns kicking will be a real feature as well. Newman kicking in is pointless. It's up to the coaches to nominate the designated kickers and stick to them. Newman should be well down the list. I'd consider McGovern and Williams as our best options.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Its amazing how 2 people can watch a game and see it in an entirely different way. I watched the game again today and have not changed my opinion. With the exception of the first quarter, St Kilda seemed far cleaner, particularly going inside 50. On the other hand we struggled all day to hit targets.

Can't wait to get Stocker back ... he really adds some pressure in the back half.

Perception is reality.
No one is wrong or right.

I thought the same as BV. We hit targets with our possession game, but failed/wasted opportunities with the old long bombs to Curnow with 2-3 on him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Yep, I agree. McGoverns kicking will be a real feature as well. Newman kicking in is pointless. It's up to the coaches to nominate the designated kickers and stick to them. Newman should be well down the list. I'd consider McGovern and Williams as our best options.

Newman is a very poor-man’s-Simmo without the heart

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

strangeblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Newman is a very poor-man’s-Simmo without the heart

@#$%&! me. Put the poor cauliflower in a body bag.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:29 pm 
Bob Chitty

BigBlueWave wrote:
OK ... well I have to say I was disappointed.

Same old problem moving the ball into the forward line ... we just do it so poorly. Bad decision making and bad execution. St Kilda looked a lot cleaner with their ball movement. Also thought our forward pressure dropped right off after the first quarter.

Backline looked very vulnerable. We are going to miss Jones so much. Too often players were caught out with opposition players running into space.

Hopefully we were just rusty but on that performance we will get crushed by Richmond.

Positives were Cripps, Cerra and Silvagni.

Agree our forward pressure dropped.in the 2nd quarter but think it was really good later on the game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:41 am 
Ken Hunter

FINALLY. We are not only setting up correctly at stoppages with players sitting on the outside but we are using our hands to move the ball out to them for their run. We are also running more through the corridor with multiple handballs. FINALLY - thank you VOSS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:27 am 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
FINALLY. We are not only setting up correctly at stoppages with players sitting on the outside but we are using our hands to move the ball out to them for their run. We are also running more through the corridor with multiple handballs. FINALLY - thank you VOSS.

Yeah , i reckon Suzz . On and off the field there seems to be more direction , more cohesion . Looks to me like its team first all heading in the same direction . I was a critic of Sayer's , but i will give him his due's , he has got the joint together . Prez , CEO , Coach . It's an old style recipe but when you get that right its bombs away .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:58 am 
Craig Bradley

SurreyBlue wrote:

I like what I saw there but our forward 50 entries are still bombish, hope it changes with McKay back in the team... and out back 6 looked a little lost at time... shows how much we're going to miss Jones, especially early on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hornet wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

I like what I saw there but our forward 50 entries are still bombish, hope it changes with McKay back in the team... and out back 6 looked a little lost at time... shows how much we're going to miss Jones, especially early on.

True.

Bombing should be the last resort "Get out of Gaol" Kick.
That's one of the reasons a monster is sitting at FF with a 50/50 chance to mark it, or has a dangerous small in the waiting for the crumbs.
Its not right kick to execute if the sole KPF has 2 or 3 opponents, and we did that.

I saw footage from a different angle to that seen on Kayo and noticed when Charlie didn't mark it, he pushed back strongly against Battle to spill the ball to the ground, but the smalls, we are raving about, were not there for the crumbs.

Bombs to Harry will more likely come off in one on one's, and sometimes 2 v 2, but we need to show some composure and go backwards sometimes to retain possession and find a better way forward: keepings off.

I liked how some of our players like Hewett, and Crippa went backwards to keep possession.

Valuing possession more is one key take home for me of the new game style. I like. Much.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

Good points re: forward entries Bondi.
My main concern with Owies is that he doesn't 'rove' the balls off the packs. He tends to be more a lead up/mark forward.
I really prefer Durdin closer to goals and Martin is still my preference for now. Hopefully Jessie develops, as I don't believe Honey is the answer.

As for KP forwards - like what I see from Kemp up there!!! Lead to the ball carrier and looked a natural forward. Didn't mind the Charlie/Kemp/JSoS combo, but as you said, we cannot bomb and hope. All three are more the lead up mark and kick forwards but with lots of talent.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

I know it's very early in the new regime, but it looks we might be learning to play with AFL-level strategies. Using designated kickers. Controlling the ball with handball or those 8 metre kicks. Applying defensive pressure around the ball. Getting a defensive winger behind the ball. Shepherding in marking contests (even though we did it poorly).

Midfield looks much stronger and less flaky around the ball. I wonder if that contributed to Cripps excelling at what he does well, rather than trying to do everything. Cerra looks a beauty. Classy with the ball. Knows how to apply AFL pressure. Hewett impressed me as well. Strong enough to move the ball on when tackled. But holds the ball in when he's doing the tackling.

Durdin the biggest improver of our young guys. Won lots of ball. Applied terrific pressure. Even competed in the air, despite his size.
Williams and Saad were electric with their rebound.
SOJ very good.
The most dangerous I've seen Charlie since he returned to the side.
Kemp looks dangerous up forward too. Nice to have another thumping kick for goal. Just need to continue to pour games into him. But with Gov shifting to defence, I assume Kemp will be midfield/forward for now.
Owies and Pittonet were good.
Decent 2nd half from Boyd, Gov and OMac.

Usual timid and costly ground contests from LOB. But if we can get him the ball 20-25 times a game, it's probably worth the cost. In his defence, he did compete in 3 aerial contests.

Thought Newman had a shocker.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next