Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 93  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
AGRO wrote:
I tell you what a fit Hewitt might have just been the big bodied mid that Sydney needed to win a few of those Centre Bounce Clearances last Saturday.

:thumbsup:

Yeah , for sure Aggs . And chuck a Will Setterfield in there and they would have made a real game of it .

So I take it you’re not a fan of Hewitt.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
AGRO wrote:
I tell you what a fit Hewitt might have just been the big bodied mid that Sydney needed to win a few of those Centre Bounce Clearances last Saturday.

:thumbsup:

Yeah , for sure Aggs . And chuck a Will Setterfield in there and they would have made a real game of it .

So I take it you’re not a fan of Hewitt.

I"m a fan of both of them .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:00 pm 
Garry Crane

selwood said how surprised he was with the young kids this year coming on so far fast ,very rarely happens . We need a carrol or philip to take next step in 2023 for example

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jpulice1969 wrote:
selwood said how surprised he was with the young kids this year coming on so far fast ,very rarely happens . We need a carrol or philip to take next step in 2023 for example

Not sure we have a Philip on the list?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

Get Cody Bailey…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Paddycripps wrote:
jpulice1969 wrote:

Not sure we have a Philip on the list?
Just like the Royal Family then.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

jpulice1969 wrote:

That's where we can really improve. Names like Carroll Motlop Young Durdin Kemp Philp Boyd and a couple of draft picks that can push into best 22 is where we can really make a difference

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:37 pm 
Harry Vallence

diesel95 wrote:
I think it was in this thread someone observed the incredible ability of Cats to attract starts players from other clubs and I noted that Issac Smith had gone unmentioned — not to be underestimated and defo a gun outside midfielder to be considered in their elite talent list.

I stand vindicated.

Being a consistent designation club is huge. Geelong attracts quality players constantly and explains a large part of its ongoing success. Collingwood and Richmond are in the same boat. This idea of building through the draft is effectively redundant. Why waste precious years developing young players when other teams can do this on your behalf. It’s why Salary cap management is so important.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

WOW wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
I think it was in this thread someone observed the incredible ability of Cats to attract starts players from other clubs and I noted that Issac Smith had gone unmentioned — not to be underestimated and defo a gun outside midfielder to be considered in their elite talent list.

I stand vindicated.

Being a consistent designation club is huge. Geelong attracts quality players constantly and explains a large part of its ongoing success. Collingwood and Richmond are in the same boat. This idea of building through the draft is effectively redundant. Why waste precious years developing young players when other teams can do this on your behalf. It’s why Salary cap management is so important.

Jeezus , sad but true . Half of Geelongs side started at other Clubs . For me , one of the great joy's of football was seeing young kids come to our Club and follow there progress . Like a journey it was . Will football ever be the same again ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

Mickstar wrote:
WOW wrote:
diesel95 wrote:

I stand vindicated.

Jeezus , sad but true . Half of Geelongs side started at other Clubs . For me , one of the great joy's of football was seeing young kids come to our Club and follow there progress . Like a journey it was . Will football ever be the same again ?

Nope. European and US “football”….and basketball have seen to that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:03 pm 
Robert Walls

bondiblue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

PS.............how is your young bloke going with his footy ? sounds like he is showing promise .

Good onya Mickstar.

Like Errol Gulden, my boys are Marcellin boys, and mad and proud Carlton fans, and in The Swans Academy.
My son's nicname since he was 6 or 7 was "Silk" because of his skills and ability to make things look easy.
Another coach in U9's named him "Diesel" because of his Carlton roots plus his ability to win ball and connect.

But, now 14, his health hasn't been good for 3 years. In bed most weekdays and gets out of bed to play footy and cricket on weekends.
Amazing the Academy have kept him on the list after cutting 20% of the squad at the end of every year for the past 3 years. They must like him.

We are not of health management now, but unless he plays for Carlton, we are not keen on him taking footy too serious.

As a father of two sons, my only takeaway from your post bondi is that I wish and hope and pray your son's health improves significantly!!! That is ALL that is important

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

Mickstar wrote:
WOW wrote:
diesel95 wrote:

I stand vindicated.

Not en masse. The soft cap won’t let any more than one or two through per year. Even the Academies are a fruitless exercise (for all but four).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:12 pm 
Robert Walls

jpulice1969 wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't buy the bs that all of Geelong's 'young kids' just come on because of the system and culture

They are deliberately "hidden" in those Western leagues and the really good ones are already being groomed to be picked up without too much fanfare

Those who escape end up coming back...Dangerfield, Cameron, Dalhaus, Bruin????, etc.

Even though he signed on, even Walsh was being earmarked to return home to the "surfcoast lifestyle"

What Geelong have is an enticing product to lure the best kids back...that product is not just football and success, it's lifestyle, family and for some, country living

Anyway, that's my opinion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

99prelim wrote:
jpulice1969 wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't buy the bs that all of Geelong's 'young kids' just come on because of the system and culture

They are deliberately "hidden" in those Western leagues and the really good ones are already being groomed to be picked up without too much fanfare

Those who escape end up coming back...Dangerfield, Cameron, Dalhaus, Bruin????, etc.

Even though he signed on, even Walsh was being earmarked to return home to the "surfcoast lifestyle"

What Geelong have is an enticing product to lure the best kids back...that product is not just football and success, it's lifestyle, family and for some, country living

Anyway, that's my opinion

Yeah , the " Big Smoke " has become the RatRace and aint so attractive anymore . Once upon a time the country kids couldn't get to the City quick enough . These days they can't get out quick enough . Melbourne unfortunately has gone like all big cities and is not the welcoming place it used to be .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:10 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

PS.............how is your young bloke going with his footy ? sounds like he is showing promise .

Good onya Mickstar.

Like Errol Gulden, my boys are Marcellin boys, and mad and proud Carlton fans, and in The Swans Academy.
My son's nicname since he was 6 or 7 was "Silk" because of his skills and ability to make things look easy.
Another coach in U9's named him "Diesel" because of his Carlton roots plus his ability to win ball and connect.

But, now 14, his health hasn't been good for 3 years. In bed most weekdays and gets out of bed to play footy and cricket on weekends.
Amazing the Academy have kept him on the list after cutting 20% of the squad at the end of every year for the past 3 years. They must like him.

We are not of health management now, but unless he plays for Carlton, we are not keen on him taking footy too serious.

Sorry to hear that Bondi . All the best to the young bloke and yourself .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:22 am 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Don’t be surprised if Setterfield is at Geelong next year. I’ll spew but good luck to him.

Let’s hope so. They’ve been generous trade partners in the past.

They have? Other than Hickmott from 25 years ago who else would you consider as a fair trade? Buyer beware with the cats l say!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:54 am 
Bruce Doull

99prelim wrote:

Some lucrative opportunities after football too I'd suggest.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:40 am 
Ken Hunter

How many places to we have on our senior and rookie lists?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:16 am 
Harry Vallence

kezza wrote:
How many places to we have on our senior and rookie lists?

4 at this stage
Acres will take one

Curnow Setterfield Fogarty waiting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:10 pm 
Craig Bradley

Rod Waddell wrote:
Crusader wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Don’t be surprised if Setterfield is at Geelong next year. I’ll spew but good luck to him.

Let’s hope so. They’ve been generous trade partners in the past.

They have? Other than Hickmott from 25 years ago who else would you consider as a fair trade? Buyer beware with the cats l say!

We received late first round picks for Tuohy & Henderson.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 93  Next