Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:22 am 
Geoff Southby

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
My guess is we've lowballed Marchbank, and McAsey is the back up option if he doesn't take it.

Possible.
Marchbank needs to prove he can stay on the ground first before asking for too much.
I doubt he'd even get a contract at another club as it stands.

The other reason could be OMac, he may never return.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:27 am 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
My guess is we've lowballed Marchbank, and McAsey is the back up option if he doesn't take it.

Possible.
Marchbank needs to prove he can stay on the ground first before asking for too much.

OMac saw a new Dr and is apparently doing well. If no recurrance the club is keen for him to keep playing.
I don't see Marchbank & McAsey as similar players. I am told there will be some new signings announced very soon
We need more KP depth and McAsey is a talent we could get cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:42 am 
Bob Chitty

I’d hate to see Marchy pull a Waite on us. Let’s keep him for the right price

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:51 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Cornes said he would keep Harry over Walsh.
Doesn't like Sam much does he.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:

He has made a fool of himself with his ongoing derogatory commentary of Walsh.

Plus Cornes felt he needed to apologise about his rating of Walsh. That would make him spew.

Get use to it. Walsh is going to cop negative commentary from Cornes his whole career.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:

He knows the right burley to get some action.

I’d do everything I could to avoid the universe where it’s one or the other. But, if pushed, I’d keep Harry over Walsh as well - that’s just a numbers argument.

Probably 50 top-line mids in the league (albeit with a gap from 1-50) and the system generates a dozen replacements every year.

There’s maybe 10 key forwards of the same level & a 3-5 year wait to produce a new one, or $700k+ to buy one off the shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Possible.

OMac saw a new Dr and is apparently doing well. If no recurrance the club is keen for him to keep playing.
I don't see Marchbank & McAsey as similar players. I am told there will be some new signings announced very soon
We need more KP depth and McAsey is a talent we could get cheap.

Fingers crossed he's all good then.
He still has good potential, OMac.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Possible.

Probably not a cash consideration so much as it'd be a delisting/re-rookie on a one year deal scenario, similar to LOB/Kennedy.

Throw in Durdin, Akuei. Plowman/Kemp both contracted for another year. Then you've got all the starters locked in. We've probably got one too many as it is, McAsey would probably be two.

I'm open to the idea of picking him up - especially as you say if McDonald is no good. But it probably requires someone taking a punt on Marchbank (or possibly Plowman) beyond what would make sense; deciding we've seen enough of both Durdin and McDonald or going too tall on the list profile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Possible.

Probably not a cash consideration so much as it'd be a delisting/re-rookie on a one year deal scenario, similar to LOB/Kennedy.

Throw in Durdin, Akuei. Plowman/Kemp both contracted for another year. Then you've got all the starters locked in. We've probably got one too many as it is, McAsey would probably be two.

I'm open to the idea of picking him up - especially as you say if McDonald is no good. But it probably requires someone taking a punt on Marchbank (or possibly Plowman) beyond what would make sense; deciding we've seen enough of both Durdin and McDonald or going too tall on the list profile.

I'm with you on this.
If he comes cheap and is good depth or there is something else happening we don't know about, then yes.
Otherwise I'd prefer we focus on the midfield.
If Setter can come into the rotation as a tagger then we need to look at speed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Really important to remind ourselves the media beat up salaries are just guesswork, and Simpson tells us there's hundreds of thousands of dollars over inflated

Quote:
West Coast coach Adam Simpson does not agree with the reported salary numbers regarding several Eagles players.

The Herald Sun’s ‘rich list’ has seven Eagles on fairly significant money - Jeremy McGovern ($1-$1.1m), Andrew Gaff and Tim Kelly (both $800-$900k), Jack Darling ($775-$875k), Elliot Yeo and Luke Shuey (both $750-$850k) and Nic Naitanui ($600-$700k).

From that article, the back page story of The West Australian suggests: Is it time for West Coast to farewell Luke Shuey, Nic Naitanui and Andrew Gaff in wake of salary squeeze?

It indicates that that the septet mentioned above are holding almost half of the Eagles’ entire player salary, prompting Karl Langdon to ask Simpson the following.

Langdon asked on Sportsday WA: “How do you respond to the back page of our West?

“This is a snippet that they’ve taken out of the Herald Sun’s annual AFL rich list which has revealed, it says, as just seven Eagles players eating up $6 million of the club’s $13 million salary cap.”

Simpson is adamant the numbers aren’t accurate, suggesting a lot of guesswork goes into such reports.

“Well, it’s just not true,” he responded.

“It’s a guess. I suppose they’d ring managers to try and predict what other players might be on.

I know for a fact that there’s hundreds of thousands of dollars difference in that article than what’s reality.

“So then what do you do? You write an article off another article when it’s just not facts.

“I don’t know how to respond other than tell everyone it’s not true. It’s hard to actually give it any oxygen, albeit everyone takes it as gospel.

“There’s no public record that states what everyone is on, it’s purely speculation. To assume what they have, it’s just not right.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/16/its-just-not-true-eagles-coach-questions-accuracy-of-salary-report/

The Herald Sun in the same report guesses that the following Carlton players are on...

C. Curnow $600-700K
A. Saad $600-$700K
M.McGovern $650-$750K
H.McKay $700-$800K
Z.Williams $750-$850K
J.Weitering $750-$850K
P.Cripps $875-$975K

In other words HS is guessing Carlton's top 7 paid players are earning between $4.95M - $5.625M of our $13M Cap.

Therefore the HS's crude figures suggest the other 38 players may be earning as little as $7.375 or av $194 K each.

Yeah right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Really important to remind ourselves the media beat up salaries are just guesswork, and Simpson tells us there's hundreds of thousands of dollars over inflated

Quote:
West Coast coach Adam Simpson does not agree with the reported salary numbers regarding several Eagles players.

The Herald Sun’s ‘rich list’ has seven Eagles on fairly significant money - Jeremy McGovern ($1-$1.1m), Andrew Gaff and Tim Kelly (both $800-$900k), Jack Darling ($775-$875k), Elliot Yeo and Luke Shuey (both $750-$850k) and Nic Naitanui ($600-$700k).

From that article, the back page story of The West Australian suggests: Is it time for West Coast to farewell Luke Shuey, Nic Naitanui and Andrew Gaff in wake of salary squeeze?

It indicates that that the septet mentioned above are holding almost half of the Eagles’ entire player salary, prompting Karl Langdon to ask Simpson the following.

Langdon asked on Sportsday WA: “How do you respond to the back page of our West?

“This is a snippet that they’ve taken out of the Herald Sun’s annual AFL rich list which has revealed, it says, as just seven Eagles players eating up $6 million of the club’s $13 million salary cap.”

Simpson is adamant the numbers aren’t accurate, suggesting a lot of guesswork goes into such reports.

“Well, it’s just not true,” he responded.

“It’s a guess. I suppose they’d ring managers to try and predict what other players might be on.

I know for a fact that there’s hundreds of thousands of dollars difference in that article than what’s reality.

“So then what do you do? You write an article off another article when it’s just not facts.

“I don’t know how to respond other than tell everyone it’s not true. It’s hard to actually give it any oxygen, albeit everyone takes it as gospel.

“There’s no public record that states what everyone is on, it’s purely speculation. To assume what they have, it’s just not right.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/16/its-just-not-true-eagles-coach-questions-accuracy-of-salary-report/

The Herald Sun in the same report guesses that the following Carlton players are on...

C. Curnow $600-700K
A. Saad $600-$700K
M.McGovern $650-$750K
H.McKay $700-$800K
Z.Williams $750-$850K
J.Weitering $750-$850K
P.Cripps $875-$975K

In other words HS is guessing Carlton's top 7 paid players are earning between $4.95M - $5.625M of our $13M Cap.

Therefore the HS's crude figures suggest the other 38 players may be earning as little as $7.375 or av $194 K each.

Yeah right.

Salary Cap will increase next year and the next.

Isn't this McGovern's last year on good money?

When Williams signed I think it was front loaded and the same was with Weitering. SOS banked a lot of money in last year or so of his reign.

We have also just signed Cottrell Owies Boyd for 2 years on I would assume basic money

Then we have Dow McDonald Durdin x 2 Motlop Honey O'Brien Setterfield Fisher Kemp Carroll Stocker Fogarty Mirkov all on base money or not much more

We won't chase any big names this year and may sign Sholl & McAsey and they won't be on big money either

Then we will go to the draft for 4-6 players and they will be on bottom money for 2 years

I am sure we are fine and will be even better in a year or so

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:

Thats the Pot calling the Kettle black . Cornes was the master of getting the cheap kick .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:02 pm 
Robert Walls

Players who play best as an inside mid (i.e. attend centre bounces, and play on ball most of the game)

Cripps - can play forward (although more in theory than in practice).
Walsh - can play half-back, wing, half-forward and small forward. He'd probably be a half-decent small defender if he we needed him to, too.
Cerra - has actually shown no particular ability to play anywhere other than purely on ball.
Kennedy - can play forward.
Hewitt - can play half-back if required.
Setterfield - Can play wing, but without much impact.
Dow - can only play as a pure onballer.

Others:

Docherty and Williams can play on ball.
Fisher can take a rotation. Martin can (in theory - in practice I can't remember the last time he did).
Cunningham and Philp are unproven, but *should* be able to when fit.
Carroll attended some centre bounces when he played.
Silvagni can (effectively) if needed.

So... what's the best mix? How many 'play much better when they play inside mid' players do we need? At this stage Setterfield and Dow are our 6th and 7th best options for, at most, two or three spots on the field. Would they be better suited finding a team that has them in the top 3 for inside mids?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
He's miles better than Akuei.

So is my Nanna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:46 pm 
Garry Crane

how bad is our recruiting if we chase Mcasey from (ADL), we have durdin waiting from rookie draft . What does our team need the most ? speed ,pace ,run ,our ball movement is to slow and if we add another kpd i think it is a waste of selection. Fly from collingwood said how strong and quick swans players are, thats what need AUSTIN.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jpulice1969 wrote:
how bad is our recruiting if we chase Mcasey from (ADL), we have durdin waiting from rookie draft . What does our team need the most ? speed ,pace ,run ,our ball movement is to slow and if we add another kpd i think it is a waste of selection. Fly from collingwood said how strong and quick swans players are, thats what need AUSTIN.

Where did they get them from?
OK, I know that a few came from the Academy: 5/45.

They came from Good Drafting. Success from the late picks in the draft and great development...includes putting size and strength on them too, as well as being drilled to play the Sydney way before making a senior appearance.

After Jones retired and Gov and Oscar went down injured the talk around here and in the industry is we need more KPD depth, so we got Durdin mid year, and KPD development and we haven't got anyone.

Oscar and Durdin and KP depth players isn't over the top
McAsey as a developing 21yo KP player isn't over the top

Parks and Plowman are not KP but talls, and they wont be around for too long.
Akuei as a Cat B doesn't disrupt the numbers
Kemp is our only other tall we are developing, and he's no KP but he can play HB, Wing and Mid too

A McAsey type is ideal for now, whether its him or not.....

We can still Draft for speed, and Lachie Sholl (if we land him) has wheels.

Cuningham & Philp are our speed demons on our list.

We have picks ~ 12 and 30...plus a couple in the 60's. Nothing stopping us picking up 2 gems with speed with those 2 picks if we have our KP'd sorted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
He's miles better than Akuei.

So is my Nanna

Is she quick?

If so, sign her up.

Don't know about Akuei ... seems to be a loooong way behind all the listed players. Hence only a project player.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

Quick question….

where are our Africans at…?

that’s what I’D like to know about it…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Be ironic if McStay leaves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Be ironic if McStay leaves.

You mean McLeaves....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 93  Next