Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
I hope Voss learns from 2009.

I'd hate to see us win a final, get rolled the week after by a kick or something, and then deciding we're closer than we are, and retaining list cloggers/adding veterans rather than going to the draft as planned.

Too right. Fools Gold!

This is the tricky part: what's real and what's a fallacy?
Who is going to make us better and who is holding us back?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Drewgirl wrote:
Of Course we have dropped off. We are not getting the same output or consistant output from Weitering, Cripps, Hewitt, McKay, Martin, Fisher, JSOS, Kennedy. Injuries to Pitto. TDK and JSOS tired. Setterfield, Newnes, Plowman not up to standard.

If Cripps (playing injured again?), Weitering, (injured) McKay (injured) are out of sorts, this would hurt any team let alone us with hardly any depth.

We are playing like a team afraid of failing, have no confidence and look tired after all the injuries we had.

Hate to say it we were better without out so called stars coming back.

We maybe from the lack of fitness cant sustain any pressure, or do we not understand we need to pressure in a game.

I dont get us. What the hell has happened to Cripps and McKay ? Why does Walsh always get caught holding the ball? Why does Docherty just hoist the ball out of the backline ? Why did all our forwards go up the ground; only to let Brisbane out the back for so many easy goals on the weekend? Why dont we tap the ball back from the middle and hand ball it forward like we did for half a season?

I have no answers. I thought we had changed.

Great post Drewgirl. Great!

Same questions I have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

I'd hate to see us win a final, get rolled the week after by a kick or something, and then deciding we're closer than we are, and retaining list cloggers/adding veterans rather than going to the draft as planned.

Too right. Fools Gold!

There's 9 blokes out of contract that are in some form of best 22 or another.

Ideally, we get those deals done, offer the chaff what's left, or they're replaceable.
Instead we be proactive, either trading pre-agents or ahead of out of contract time.

I think we keep Curnow and Doc for less than what the market offers.
McGovern and TDK, I'd prefer to keep, but I'd be happy to entertain offers. Hypothetically if we ended up involved with the Luke Jackson trade and ended up with Sean Darcy for less than a team offering ridiculous money for TDK, I'm not complaining.
I think McKay is definitely sell high buy low territory.
Motlop - probably need to know what the go-home factor is like. Is a 4 year deal doable to spread it out?
Plowman might have value to another side. Contracted for another year. We could probably find a similar sized defender in the VFL for less.
Pittonet would be one I'd be keen to lock in now given his injury interrupted year and our need for leverage in the TDK stakes.
Young is another I feel as though there's a bit of urgency to lock in. He had a great month of footy without Weitering.

None of those deals realistically impact our need/want for Setterfield, Newnes, Fogarty and Cuningham beyond how much we're prepared to offer them. Without knowing the exact amount they're all on, I suspect they all fit in the criteria of can find similar or slightly less for a lot less coin. If they want to take less money to stay, then keep them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Since Hewett was out injured...

Quote:
From rounds 16-21 the Blues’ midfield ranks only 10th for clearance differential and points from stoppages after that area of the field was dominant in early rounds.

Carlton’s contested possession differential is still second in the league (+11.5) but will be challenged by Cripps’ likely absence.

With the ‘Carlton Crew’ three down, Cerra will again have to adjust his role after playing only 66 per cent of midfield time since round 13.

In that new role playing wing (14 per cent) and forward (20 per cent), he is well down on inside 50s (minus 55 per cent), clearances (minus 41 per cent) and score involvements (minus 35 per cent).

Carlton might need him to exert his centre square dominance alongside Dow, who was able to win only 13 possessions against Brisbane.

I didnt realie Cerra has been thrown around so much.

Nevertheless, we need reliable depth in the midfield group to eventually replace Dow (maybe keep him another year), Setterfield (OOC), Ed (retire), Fogarty (OOC)...not sure about Hayes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Too right. Fools Gold!

Ideally, we get those deals done, offer the chaff what's left, or they're replaceable.
Instead we be proactive, either trading pre-agents or ahead of out of contract time.

McGovern and TDK, I'd prefer to keep, but I'd be happy to entertain offers. Hypothetically if we ended up involved with the Luke Jackson trade and ended up with Sean Darcy for less than a team offering ridiculous money for TDK, I'm not complaining.
Motlop - probably need to know what the go-home factor is like. Is a 4 year deal doable to spread it out?
Plowman might have value to another side. Contracted for another year. We could probably find a similar sized defender in the VFL for less.
Pittonet would be one I'd be keen to lock in now given his injury interrupted year and our need for leverage in the TDK stakes.
Young is another I feel as though there's a bit of urgency to lock in. He had a great month of footy without Weitering.

None of those deals realistically impact our need/want for Setterfield, Newnes, Fogarty and Cuningham beyond how much we're prepared to offer them. Without knowing the exact amount they're all on, I suspect they all fit in the criteria of can find similar or slightly less for a lot less coin. If they want to take less money to stay, then keep them.

Great summary Galty.
Rod Galt's brother, Greg, was good at these sorts of analytics: you can't be Greg, because IIRC you're on the Gold Coast and he's in Melbourne.

Despite the laconic behaviour of Harry. I still think he is much needed. Harry and Charlie need each other, and I believe Harry will continue to get stronger and improve his kicking for goal.

Darcy would be our No 1 ruck and Pitto isnt a Fwd-ruck thus far. I think TDK will make it as a Fwd ruck. He has one weapon: his leap and mark.

With the Doc and Curnow comment, you are referring to Ed?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Matt Crouch and Lachie Hunter can't get a regular senior game for the Crows and Dogs respectively.
I doubt they would cost much in terms of draft picks however am not sure of their salaries.
Both are only 27yo so should have a few good years left.
Neither have much pace but regardless would be a much better option on the wing than what we currently have.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:12 am 
Geoff Southby

Humpers wrote:
Matt Crouch and Lachie Hunter can't get a regular senior game for the Crows and Dogs respectively.
I doubt they would cost much in terms of draft picks however am not sure of their salaries.
Neither have much pace but regardless would be a much better option on the wing than what we currently have.

Crouch, injury prone.
Hunter is on personal leave from the club, good player though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:19 am 
Rod Ashman

Humpers wrote:

No thanks. Need speed and endurance to play wings. Las thing we need is more one pace plodders.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:22 am 
Geoff Southby

carntheblues wrote:
Humpers wrote:

No thanks. Need speed and endurance to play wings. Las thing we need is more one pace plodders.

:lol:
There's that too.

Post subject: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:23 am 
Wayne Johnston

carntheblues wrote:
Humpers wrote:

Speaking of which, how about Plowman onto a wing?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:27 am 
Rod Ashman

WOW wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I still believe our top 22-25 can beat anyone. It's our next level and depth that is the issue.

Names like O'Brien Dow Setterfield Cottrell look good in parts but don't do enough consistently and for 4 quarters. When has one been in the Top 5 on ground? We need greater contribution from our 25-35 ranked players.

I think Williamson Ed Curnow Parks Newnes Philp will be gone. Then some of O'Brien Dow Cottrell Setterfield Stocker Fogarty Cuningham Martin Hayes Honey will be moved on

We need improvement and improved fitness in 2023 from Kemp Carroll McDonald Motlop Williams McGovern Marchbank Durdin Young TDK Pittonet Mirkov to really improve

Then we need to add some drafts picks and some smart depth players. We need genuine A Grade young talent coming through. I believe we need a genuine mature No.1 Ruck and I would chase Goldstein. He could easily play for 3 years and would help our midfield. I would also look at a "Callum Sinclair" type that can be depth and come in and fill KPF or Ruck when needed

The way Voss has been speaking all year that this is a long term development program says to me they have doubts about our list and needs a "refresh"

Good post

Our squad is not good enough. Additionally, we have too many injury prone players.

Ultimately in my view it comes down to good culture and player development. Geelong has this in spades. It has the knack of turning ordinary players into good players. We rely way too much on our superstars.

So the answer is tossing away players rather then developing them. I don't see us improving by simply tossing away the baby with the bathwater. Development is the key as others have stated and that is where we are way behind. So we need to get that in order. I get there will be some turnover in players but those suggesting Cunningham should go.....well that's just silly. He's had a knee reconstruction for goodness sake. Prior to that he was really starting to come into his own. On that basis we should have got rid of Doc because he had 2 knee reconstructions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:32 am 
Rod Ashman

FarmerBlue wrote:
Our core side for 2023

B: Boyd Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Williams Cripps Fisher
HF: Cerra McKay Motlop
F: Silvagni Curnow Owies
Foll: Pittonet Hewett Walsh
Int: Kennedy TDK Marchbank Durdin
Plus: Kemp Carroll Mirkov McDonald Newman

Then everyone else is up for discussion.

I would get:

Goldstein (FA)
Sinclair (DFA)
4-5 good draft picks
1-2 solid trades
1-2 DFA's

Too many changes sending the wrong message and getting us nowhere. Also the side listed is no different o this year. Very one paced. Need at least one of Martin to replace one of the smalls and Honey or Cunningham. Also I do not think Williams has the endurance to run wing. Doc would be better but I prefer Walsh on the wing. I also do not think we can play TDK, Pittonet and Jack together.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:02 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Too right. Fools Gold!

Great summary Galty.
Rod Galt's brother, Greg, was good at these sorts of analytics: you can't be Greg, because IIRC you're on the Gold Coast and he's in Melbourne.

Despite the laconic behaviour of Harry. I still think he is much needed. Harry and Charlie need each other, and I believe Harry will continue to get stronger and improve his kicking for goal.

Darcy would be our No 1 ruck and Pitto isnt a Fwd-ruck thus far. I think TDK will make it as a Fwd ruck. He has one weapon: his leap and mark.

I'd prefer to keep Harry, absolutely, but I'd prefer to not blow up the entire list to accommodate his contract ahead of him, and if a team wants to offer something stupid either in terms of picks/players or contract terms, let them. Collingwood blinked with Travis Cloke in 2012, ended up with a couple of mediocre years before giving him away to the Dogs for next to nothing. I suspect the career trajectory is similar.

I have a horrible feeling that in the next 18 months it will come down to either keeping Harry or TDK, barring either completely stripping the list of depth or getting lucky that a team takes an albatross contract like Martin off us.

Agree with you in saying that I don't think a Pittonet/Darcy combination would necessarily work - I'd be of the view that we'd have Pittonet as back up, or you alternate between the two, and whoever is standing come finals time, you work around that.

Was referring to Charlie in that earlier comment - based on his commentary around his contract, and the two years paid to do very little, I think he'd be keen to repay that faith. I think 800-850 a year on average is probably realistic for us, but could easily get 1.2 elsewhere. Would also require a massive leap of faith to sign him long-term given the concerns around not only his injuries, but his commitment to managing them appropriately also.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
WOW wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I still believe our top 22-25 can beat anyone. It's our next level and depth that is the issue.

Names like O'Brien Dow Setterfield Cottrell look good in parts but don't do enough consistently and for 4 quarters. When has one been in the Top 5 on ground? We need greater contribution from our 25-35 ranked players.

I think Williamson Ed Curnow Parks Newnes Philp will be gone. Then some of O'Brien Dow Cottrell Setterfield Stocker Fogarty Cuningham Martin Hayes Honey will be moved on

We need improvement and improved fitness in 2023 from Kemp Carroll McDonald Motlop Williams McGovern Marchbank Durdin Young TDK Pittonet Mirkov to really improve

Then we need to add some drafts picks and some smart depth players. We need genuine A Grade young talent coming through. I believe we need a genuine mature No.1 Ruck and I would chase Goldstein. He could easily play for 3 years and would help our midfield. I would also look at a "Callum Sinclair" type that can be depth and come in and fill KPF or Ruck when needed

The way Voss has been speaking all year that this is a long term development program says to me they have doubts about our list and needs a "refresh"

Good post

Our squad is not good enough. Additionally, we have too many injury prone players.

Ultimately in my view it comes down to good culture and player development. Geelong has this in spades. It has the knack of turning ordinary players into good players. We rely way too much on our superstars.

So the answer is tossing away players rather then developing them. I don't see us improving by simply tossing away the baby with the bathwater. Development is the key as others have stated and that is where we are way behind. So we need to get that in order. I get there will be some turnover in players but those suggesting Cunningham should go.....well that's just silly. He's had a knee reconstruction for goodness sake. Prior to that he was really starting to come into his own. On that basis we should have got rid of Doc because he had 2 knee reconstructions.

Not so silly carna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Too right. Fools Gold!

Great summary Galty.

I'd prefer to keep Harry, absolutely, but I'd prefer to not blow up the entire list to accommodate his contract ahead of him, and if a team wants to offer something stupid either in terms of picks/players or contract terms, let them. Collingwood blinked with Travis Cloke in 2012, ended up with a couple of mediocre years before giving him away to the Dogs for next to nothing. I suspect the career trajectory is similar.

I have a horrible feeling that in the next 18 months it will come down to either keeping Harry or TDK, barring either completely stripping the list of depth or getting lucky that a team takes an albatross contract like Martin off us.

Agree with you in saying that I don't think a Pittonet/Darcy combination would necessarily work - I'd be of the view that we'd have Pittonet as back up, or you alternate between the two, and whoever is standing come finals time, you work around that.

Was referring to Charlie in that earlier comment - based on his commentary around his contract, and the two years paid to do very little, I think he'd be keen to repay that faith. I think 800-850 a year on average is probably realistic for us, but could easily get 1.2 elsewhere. Would also require a massive leap of faith to sign him long-term given the concerns around not only his injuries, but his commitment to managing them appropriately also.

:thumbsup:

Martin's albatross :lol: so true. Made of paper...he goes in hard, but its all kamikaze. Thank god he was front loaded $1M in his first year.

If its true Crippa and walsh were happy with 800K to make room for the team, and Harry & Charlie do the same, we are doing OK. I think Charlie will repay our faith, and Harry has said if we want team success we all have to consider playing not at Market value.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

sinbagger wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
Humpers wrote:

Speaking of which, how about Plowman onto a wing?

I can see it… #17 at the ‘G… there goes Plow on a searching run.

Down Batman Ave.

FFS :screwy: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

Not ideal that somewhere between a third to a quarter of the cap is reserved for four players. When you assume a similar amount for Weitering, McGovern, Saad, TDK, Williams, that's 2/3 of the cap on 9 players.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Just on this bit…

If Charlie’s contract was (for instance) $200k base + a $30k match fee, he would’ve only received the base during the bulk of his lay off.

The CBA states that players injured in the 1s will receive their match fee, whatever that may be, for the period that they are laid up. So, an ACL in R1 will still see you earn match fees up until the end of the year.

Charlie did most of his damage at home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Just on this bit…

If Charlie’s contract was (for instance) $200k base + a $30k match fee, he would’ve only received the base during the bulk of his lay off.

The CBA states that players injured in the 1s will receive their match fee, whatever that may be, for the period that they are laid up. So, an ACL in R1 will still see you earn match fees up until the end of the year.

Charlie did most of his damage at home.

It's an interesting point, I'd be interested to see what the club legal advice would be on the prospects of defending that basis though - especially in the context of initial injury occurring on-field versus a recurrence of.....dubious means.

Either way - he's been well looked after in the past and it's great to see him returning that with some interest this year. Hopefully moreso when it comes to negotiating the next contract.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Not ideal that somewhere between a third to a quarter of the cap is reserved for four players. When you assume a similar amount for Weitering, McGovern, Saad, TDK, Williams, that's 2/3 of the cap on 9 players.

Sounds bad, but doubt it is as such.

I'm assuming Weitering, McGovern, Saad, TDK, Williams are on not on 800K, and Saad's contract wil take him to 32yo, and Gov will be traded or he signs at a much discounted rate than his previous for obvious reasons.

From the info we have read at the time of the contract and managers have had their say in response to the made up media headlines, such as Gov not on $750, but less than the $650 offerred by Crows to stay:

Saad was $600-650K.
Gov was $650. Front loaded heavily in the first couple of years because SOS couldnt land a Big Fish. maybe $500K this and next year.
Williams $700-750 Front loaded? Maybe some, along with Crippas...because SOS couldnt land a big fish with money he banked.
Weitering quietly signed on....I'd say $700 given Charlie Crippa and Walsh were highest paid at the club.
TDK, gosh he's nowhere near $800, let alone $500. He's only 23yo and only came on last year to fill in gaps.

As for TDK's next contract...still dont think it will be more than $650 but he'd really need to step up from his current form for that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 93  Next