Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:14 am 
Stephen Kernahan

It's disappointing we couldn't secure a tall defender in the ND.
I'd like to see Lieu get a rookie spot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:21 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:

I was thinking that too, but I wonder if drafting Cowan makes it less likely now?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:33 am 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
LOB gets a two year extension and we bring in Acres, Hollands & Binns. Anyone else feel like we’ve maybe over-corrected on the outside mids?

Well surely we gotta find a good 'un purely on weight of numbers . But yeah" Sue " , i would have liked to pick up a Key Defender for sure . Maybe they have someone in mind for a rookie spot .

James Van Es was still on the board but we went with Cowan. Obviously time will tell if that was the right call. And then going for Binns when we already had Hollands was interesting - but anyway, best wishes to the new Bluebaggers!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:18 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:

Agree. Is it possible we're eyeing one off as a free agent in 12 months? Also, I think I heard next year's crop has a fair bit of key position talent.
As I said in pre draft thread I would have seriously considered Busslinger with our first but am very much a believer of best available regardless of position. If Hollands was deemed best available I'm comfortable with that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:20 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aboynamedsue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
LOB gets a two year extension and we bring in Acres, Hollands & Binns. Anyone else feel like we’ve maybe over-corrected on the outside mids?

Well surely we gotta find a good 'un purely on weight of numbers . But yeah" Sue " , i would have liked to pick up a Key Defender for sure . Maybe they have someone in mind for a rookie spot .

James Van Es was still on the board but we went with Cowan. Obviously time will tell if that was the right call. And then going for Binns when we already had Hollands was interesting - but anyway, best wishes to the new Bluebaggers!

At the risk of being accused of potting a kid who has just been drafted, struggling to understand the rationale behind the Binns pick up. Not potting him personally and yes am going off his bio only but plays largely between the arcs, has little contested side to his game and needs to improve his kicking. Sounds like a poor man's LOB to me and that's pretty damn poor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:58 am 
Bruce Doull

Happy with our draft hand, from the limited reports/footage I've seen. Wing & run was a constant concern for us in 22 & we've addressed that, & then some.

I maybe would have liked a goal scoring small/med forward, but you can't have everything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:04 am 
Rod Ashman

Puts Dow, Cuningham and Philp under immediate pressure to get fit and perform.

List looks to be lacking height, worried about our ruck depth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:36 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:

I agree however it sounds like Lemmey is versatile and can play at both ends. Maybe he could become a defensive option?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:04 am 
Geoff Southby

DesEnglish wrote:
Puts Dow, Cuningham and Philp under immediate pressure to get fit and perform

I think LOB & Cottrell are the incumbents for the positions Acres, Hollands & Binns are pushing for. I’m going by the online descriptions of our new players, but I think the guys you mention above play different roles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:10 am 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

At the risk of being accused of potting a kid who has just been drafted, struggling to understand the rationale behind the Binns pick up. Not potting him personally and yes am going off his bio only but plays largely between the arcs, has little contested side to his game and needs to improve his kicking. Sounds like a poor man's LOB to me and that's pretty damn poor.

I haven’t seen Hollands or Binn play live but, based on the footage and descriptions, it surprises me that we selected both - especially give we just signed Acres and extended LOB & Cottrell’s contracts. If we were going for Binn, why not take Busslinger at #11?

Like you, I’m not potting the players.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:14 am 
Harry Vallence

I really like what we have done. We have made our list a lot better and that's all we can ask
If what the 'experts" say is true Hollands will be a gun. I really like Cowan. Looks an AFL player
Someone said Lemmy was a Top 10 pick early but slid. Is that true?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

I was thinking that too, but I wonder if drafting Cowan makes it less likely now?

Isn't Cowan around 187cm so he's probably more a running back.
From memory Lieu is about 194cm so he can take taller options. It's a real gap in our list IMO. Hopefully Sam Durdin has a good pre-season and puts his name forward.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

From memory Lieu is about 194cm so he can take taller options. It's a real gap in our list IMO. Hopefully Sam Durdin has a good pre-season and puts his name forward.

Leiu’s not a one-on-one defender… truth be told, he’s got a lot to learn about defence in general.

There is ABSOLUTELY something there though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

FarmerBlue wrote:
I really like what we have done. We have made our list a lot better and that's all we can ask
If what the 'experts" say is true Hollands will be a gun. I really like Cowan. Looks an AFL player
Someone said Lemmy was a Top 10 pick early but slid. Is that true?

Coming into the season, I thought he was the best forward - if not player - in the pool.

As the season wore on, I was a bit worried that I’d been Courtney Johns’d… in the end, I think the overall review of this year’s crop will note that the WA & SA kids were more exposed than their Vic counterparts.

So, it’ll be Dan’s fault if we’ve messed up the draft. :fight: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:36 pm 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
Puts Dow, Cuningham and Philp under immediate pressure to get fit and perform

I think LOB & Cottrell are the incumbents for the positions Acres, Hollands & Binns are pushing for. I’m going by the online descriptions of our new players, but I think the guys you mention above play different roles.

I’m thinking more about list spots than field position.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

Their all guns in late November

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

My impression of Lieu is that he’s best suited to HB - I’m not sure he’s a genuine AFL KPD.

We need at least one of S.Durdin and Young to step up next year so that Weitering, McGovern & Marchbank can play their way.

Hopefully we can retain Lieu in our VFL team because I like his competitiveness.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

So is this the wash up?-

Out
Setterfield
Stocker
Newnes
Williamson
Parks
Hayes
OMac
2023 Rd 2 pick
2023 Rd 3 pick

In
Acres
Hollands
Cowan
Binns
Lemmey
2023 Rd 4 pick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

I don’t like losing 2023 r2 & r3. Especially from what we are hearing about the draft.
I’m sure clubs won’t be offering their picks that readily next year as well.
I guess I’m no expert, so what do I know......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:

I've been thinking about this today as to why we would do this.
The only thing that comes to mind is Voss wants a hard running game style and instead of the common line of thought we are adding depth/replacing on the wing, I think we will find some other positions might have a personnel change.
If you take Collingwood, they had a hard running game up and down the ground inside, outside, off the HB line and off the HF line with relentless pressure all game.

If you look at our HB line to our HF line of good two way runners, we now have:
Saad
Doc
Walsh
Cottrell
Acres
LOB
Hollands
Binns

If all are on the ground at the same time across those lines, the surge/pressure going forward to attack and coming back to defend will be relentless and all game.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93  Next