Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

Heard it all before.

I want to believe Voss is the hard nut who wont accept softness but we will see.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

All will be answered very early in the season. I reckon within the first 5 minutes of Q1 against Richmond.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

carntheblues wrote:
All will be answered very early in the season. I reckon within the first 5 minutes of Q1 against Richmond.

Yeah reckon thats right . But one swallow don't make a summer . They gotta sustain it . They gotta keep it going week in and week out .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Good Article by Jake Niall on the Blues and the underperforming Blues who need to perform better for us to take a position in the 8
Bit harsh on Martin maybe but spot on McGovern and Williams and McGovern chief offender

He also said we Need Charlie up and firing which is obvious to move up the ladder

Still in my view need improvement in TDK Dow OBrien Setterfield Fisher Cunningham (if ever fit)Willo and need Carroll and kemp to be senior players to keep everyone else honest and ensure competition for spots
Be helpful if 2 of honey Durdin Motlop Owies became competent senior players

Heard Diesel on radio tonight said the usual stuff but did say he liked the way Mirkov was developing needed a couple of year in vfl but moved really well for a guy that was 7 ft almost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:55 am 
Harry Vallence

Just reading The Age, big picture on the back of Cripps and Weitering under the headline "A Carlton Crusade". Reading the article I see we have a "10 man injury ward".

I just despair of this club.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Thought we learnt a bit about how the midfield will be chosen this year on Thursday. Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy and Fogarty all got time alongside Cripps. They all win contested ball and apply defensive pressure. It's pretty clear what Dow is going to need to do, if he wants to gain a spot. Didn't really feature in the VFL write ups, but I wonder how he went with the defensive side of things?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

So it looks like our tall defence will start out with Weiters, OMac and Gov. Although I quite like OMac, I think we're really going to miss Jones. It's not ideal to have 2 key defenders, neither of whom are very quick. Wouldn't be surprised if this gets exploited a bit this year.

I wonder what the longer term plan is? Kemp is athletic enough to complement Weiters. But do they want him to be a long-term key defender?

Be curious to know how athletic Young is. Or whether we might potentially take another look at someone like Glass-McCasker.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:41 am 
Harry Vallence

Voss did say our depth is not great at Tall Keys, so additional tall player in Pre-Season seems a lock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
Thought we learnt a bit about how the midfield will be chosen this year on Thursday. Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy and Fogarty all got time alongside Cripps. They all win contested ball and apply defensive pressure. It's pretty clear what Dow is going to need to do, if he wants to gain a spot. Didn't really feature in the VFL write ups, but I wonder how he went with the defensive side of things?

I think what we saw is pretty close to what we will see come round 1.

Fogarty was only given a quarter. In that quarter he got a loose ball in the mid field that went to him. He blindly handballed directly to a Saints player right in front of him, then proceeded to tackle and got dragged along, almost dismissively and saints player got his handball away...with ease. That was his contested ball win, and he does apply defensive pressure.

Fogarty and Dow played 4 quarters in the VFL game. i was told by someone there applying the eye test, Dow did more than Fogarty in the VFL game, and the stats show Dow had 21 possessions, maybe more than Fogarty??

Voss gave us a hint that peripheral players are fighting for one spot against another player. The question we need to ask is Dow competing with Fogarty for a spot? I think they are different types.

I don't think we bat that deep with midfielders we can write off Dow, and I'm not a fan of Fogarty's anymore. IMO there's only Martin and Dow who could be considered for a midfield role missing from last week's praccy, with Docherty possibly played on a wing if Stocker/Boyd picked for a BP role.

I think of all those who got time alongside Cripps, question marks only apply to Fogarty.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
So it looks like our tall defence will start out with Weiters, OMac and Gov. Although I quite like OMac, I think we're really going to miss Jones. It's not ideal to have 2 key defenders, neither of whom are very quick. Wouldn't be surprised if this gets exploited a bit this year.

I wonder what the longer term plan is? Kemp is athletic enough to complement Weiters. But do they want him to be a long-term key defender?

Be curious to know how athletic Young is. Or whether we might potentially take another look at someone like Glass-McCasker.

OMac and Weitering take the dangerous KPF's. That's a lock down position.
When Jones wandered away from this he got exploited.

As long as there's speed and support around those 2, I think we will be fine.

Kemp is the obvious alternative, and from what Voss suggested young, but like Kemp he is still developing.
Hence OMac it is for now.

Voss will have to make plans if OMac is standing on a wandering quick KPF like a Nick Reiwoldt, and if they are Kemp's height, then put Kemp on them! This could finally release Weiters for the intercept role...what a luxury that would be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

https://www.afl.com.au/news/712623/no-l ... -list-spot

Good call I reckon. Monitor the state leagues over the next few months and hopefully land the best available key defender in the mid season draft.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/712623/no-luck-for-three-hopefuls-as-blues-hang-on-to-vacant-list-spot

Good call I reckon. Monitor the state leagues over the next few months and hopefully land the best available key defender in the mid season draft.

Totally agree

We are not desperate.

Its time for best available for list needs...or should I say...for flag needs :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
Tim Watson agreed with Lloyd’s assessment of Carlton’s, saying they would be “hard to stop” if their ruck stocks gave them first use out of a stoppage more often than now.

“It was glaringly obvious (during pre-season) that their big-bodied midfielders are powerful,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“You have (George) Hewett who is a very good player, (Patrick) Cripps looks back to his best and Kennedy was really good and looks like a confident midfielder…then you add (Adam) Cerra in there.

“If you add a ruckman that gives them half a chance to give them first access to the ball, they’ll be hard to stop around the clearances.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/08/how-cerras-arrival-will-help-blues-skipper-cripps/

Pitto....go in and smash Nankervis in round 1. Unleash the Italian Stallion.

FFS Mr Russell, get some muscle on Mirkov and quick, and My Voss, get games into TDK, starting round 1.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:29 am 
Geoff Southby

List of COVID top-ups. For us, it’s our VFL players.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/720124/reve ... lub-s-list

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:33 am 
Rod Ashman

Yes there may be some interesting selections forced on us during the year. Still its great to be back at the footy. GO BLUES!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:18 am 
Stephen Kernahan

THE Carlton Football Club is pleased to announce Corey Durdin and Alex Mirkov have extended their contracts with the Blues for a further two years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:29 pm 
Rod Ashman

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I hope we are searching far and wide, and keogh is helping us find a gem in the mid season draft.

We have to wait and see what comes of this knee cork to Pitto, but if he's OK, then a KPD to replace Jones is vital.

McDonald was out all last year with a back injury, and he's been missing with a back problem to the point he's not a reliable option.

Young is too light for one of the two KPD positions, or he's undeveloped.

If McDonald was available, and with McGovern and Marchbank out injured, Young would make a great 3rd tall/ intercept mark.

We need to find a mature KPD, like GCS did in 2018 with Sam Collins, who was a 23 yo playing in the VFL.

We have ONE pick to choose the best available in the country having watched them perform for half a season elsewhere.

Who and Where are you, one very important KPD to support AA candidate Weitering ????????

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

I'm with you on this and my order of preference is:
KPD
Ruck (if Pitto is gone)
Wing - a tall that can take contested marks and has some pace and endurance (not asking much I know).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
I'm with you on this and my order of preference is:
KPD
Ruck (if Pitto is gone)
Wing - a tall that can take contested marks and has some pace and endurance (not asking much I know).

KPD is a lockdown role playing against the big boys 196cm+/100kg

Those wings are more difficult to find imo. A Jarrod "panter" Waite (father-son), or a Andrew "sky" Walker (pick 2) would be great but we wont have a pick 2 or a FS to help us there.

We need to keep scouring the WAFL SAFL VFL for mature players who have the attributes we are desperate for.

Setterfield, LOB, Newnes and Cottrell are obviously not the answer, and I feel Carroll is a ruck rover, but I'm just guessing (not knowing what his engine is like).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 93  Next