Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jezzarules wrote:
Club made it pretty clear that the MSD selections weren't just with a six month outlook. Still, everything needs to be sorted out end of year and trades / FA in and out effect the available spots.

I didnt factor that...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Cunningham
Marchbank
Martin
McDonald
McGovern
Williams

There’s six talented players who miss too much footy with injury. I’ll be surprised if all six are on our primary list again next year.

Contract terms and medical prognoses will largely inform the decisions. We obviously don’t have access to that information.

But unless their bodies are cooked, and if the TC contract tracker is to be believed, Martin (2024), McGovern (2023) and Williams (2026) will stay - unless the club needs to make a salary cap dump and is willing to trade them for peanuts. We shouldn’t have to do that though, if it’s true they had front loaded contracts.

Cunningham, Marchbank & McDonald are apparently out of contract at the end of 2022. I reckon McDonald is gone. As long as Cunningham & Marchbank don’t suffer any further significant set backs over the next couple of months, I think moving those two to our rookie list would be a good result.

I'm surprised it hasn't been posted. I heard from someone who knows that Oscar had the 2 screws inserted to 'fuse' the injured part and if all goes well by end of the year, he has an offer on the table.

I'm guessing Oscar will be the KPD back up as rookie, and if Durdin is retained he's the KPD back up on a list. We can then go to the draft and select a KPD in the 1st or 2nd round to develop.

Marchbank is only 25yo. He has a developed body. Is a potential A grader. Showed glimpses of his prowess in only game he's played, and his team mates love him. We stuck with Charlie and Doc, and I can't see the club not doing the same.

I take your point that there's 6 injury prone players from 8 last year, and they take up valuable list spots, but are they stopping us from making the selections in the draft we want to make eg KPD, Ruck, Wing? I don't think anyone is forcing our hand to drop any of those uncontracted players this year.

I'm guessing we want to create 4 list spots for 2 draft picks (#18, #36 :wink: ), 1 Trade, 1 upgrade LOB

List spots can be created by:

1. Ed Curnow = list spot
2. Williamson = list spot
3. Fogarty = list spot
4. Jones- Durdin = list spot ...rather do this than lose Marchbank
5. Hayes- = list spot ... rather do this than lose Cuningham.

Then there's Newman and Newnes, like Marchy and Cunners, also out of contract.

Looking at it like this, Marchbank and Cunners aren't safe if Durdin and Hayes valued higher. Ditto Newman and Newnes who have had good year thus far.

I’m pretty sure Newman got a two year deal at the end of last year?

It’s probably a choice between Durdin and McDonald, rather than between Durdin and Marchbank as I think Marchbank plays a different role to the other two. If the prognosis for Marchbank is reasonable, I hope we can move him to the rookie list. That might be bad news for Parks, who I thought showed improvement early this year and seems well regarded.

You mentioned Fogarty & Williamson, Philp & Setterfield are another two who might be in the gun. Plus Dow (who I think is contracted and so is more likely to be traded than delisted) and Ed Curnow (ret?).

There's always the rookie list that saved LOB and Kennedy .. safety net for those who fall.

Philp & Setterfield out of contract too ...well.

Good chance Dow creates a spot. After we win the flag this year, I expect another team will go for him.

Plenty of options.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Drewgirl wrote:
i really do hope we slowly start locking Curnow, McKay and Dekoning up now rather than leave it to next year. But the club cant be negligent enough not to have prepared for this. I hope so anyway.

Bloody media trying to find something negative as they have nothing else at the moment.

This explains why the club has stated we have room for another FA but going to the draft, and looking at 2 cheaper options through trade value like Newnes and Jones, or DFA.

As if the club hasn't factored in Curnow, McKay, DeKoning.
Just as they did with Walsh and Cripps, who took less than their market value to ensure the club keeps the group together.

You can see the boys, I mean the whole 45 of them love each other's company, their work place, the supporters and....they will know what to expect from the loyal passionate supporters if they choose to go to another team for mammoth bucks.

Home is where the heart is, and Carlton is home for Victorians, West Aussies and Sth Aussies.

Kennedy today on SEN mentioned how everyone plays for each other, and such is the love for each other no one has requested a trade back home.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:58 am 
Ken Hunter

Drewgirl wrote:
i really do hope we slowly start locking Curnow, McKay and Dekoning up now rather than leave it to next year. But the club cant be negligent enough not to have prepared for this. I hope so anyway.

Bloody media trying to find something negative as they have nothing else at the moment.

Yeah, that pissed me off hearing Cornes talking TDK up as a $1.2M/season player or whatever it was. He played a great game on the weekend but still gets beaten in the ruck most weeks, but no doubt his agent will be all over the media comments and demanding top coin as a result, when the boy is still more potential than sure thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

Cane Kornes….

idiot…!

two good “opinions”…amongst 500 POX…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

Too much sugar cereal for Kaneo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:50 am 
Harry Vallence

Last night showed to me again the need for another mature ruck. If TDK or Pittonet are injured it’s hard. Jack busts a gut but it lessens his effectiveness. He was Buggered last night and Marshall & Ryder monstered us

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:04 am 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
Last night showed to me again the need for another mature ruck. If TDK or Pittonet are injured it’s hard. Jack busts a gut but it lessens his effectiveness. He was Buggered last night and Marshall & Ryder monstered us

Yep . TDK got well and truely schooled by Ryder . Shit he is a wiley old fox . But TDK never gave up and kept battling on . There ruck dominance made Jones look like a champion . Add Sinclair and Hill in there and thats the game .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

Poster on BF saying that Owies and Stocker about to re-sign, just working on finer details now.
Harry and Charlie both keen to stay and opened contract discussions over the bye week. Both prepared to take unders for around $800,000 a year which is similar to what they are on now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
Poster on BF saying that Owies and Stocker about to re-sign, just working on finer details now.
Harry and Charlie both keen to stay and opened contract discussions over the bye week. Both prepared to take unders for around $800,000 a year which is similar to what they are on now.

That's great news kezza :thumbsup:

Not that I dont expect them to leave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

Williamson now "retired"

That makes us a full list with no extras. I expect 6-8 changes at years end

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
kezza wrote:

That's great news kezza :thumbsup:

Not that I dont expect them to leave

Always good to have someone posting good news and getting us in a positive frame of mind after a game leaving us feeling :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Just a reminder from an article in The Age midyear, where we are at from a List Management perspective.

Quote:
The Carlton list management team used the opportunity in the early part of the rebuild to spend below the salary cap during the lean years of 2018 and 2019. The Blues banked money for future acquisitions and also front-ended contracts to create space under the cap down the track.

Quote:
Carlton will have space in their salary cap to add talent to their list via free agency and trades at year’s end as they contend for a top-four spot under new coach Michael Voss.

Quote:
Industry sources suspected, however, they might struggle to compete for talent at season’s end as they have star forwards McKay and Curnow becoming free agents at the end of 2023. But club sources said the Blues had maintained enough flexibility to keep their options open when trade time arrived.

Quote:
It means the Blues’ targets will be middle-ranking players in terms of salary who are targeted to fill specific needs. One club source said a shorter injury list and the further development of young players to play certain roles was where the greatest potential for improvement lay.

Quote:
They are also aware their tall defensive and rucking depth has been tested in the first half of the season through injury and Liam Jones’ unexpected retirement.

Quote:
The Blues were happy to spread Matthew Kennedy’s recent deal over three years and will look to re-sign injured midfielder David Cuningham and Liam Stocker.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/running-mid-another-tall-blues-have-cap-space-to-target-free-agents-trades-20220512-p5akvn.html

Someone mentioned Stocker and Cuningham on the verge of resigning, and it looks like we will get a good look at what we have missed with the absence of Cuningham.

Furthermore, discussions have already started with Curnow and McKay's management to extend their contract with Carlton asking for far less than their market value, just as Cripps and Walsh did with pay packs around the 800K mark.

With the imminent return of Weitering and Pittonet from injury, followed by McGovern and Cuningham, and Sam Durdin to give us some KPD depth, we should have a good understanding of our shortfalls to improve the list come Finals time.

Great era to look forward to as a Bluebagger.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:58 am 
Stephen Kernahan

kezza wrote:

I wouldn't be offering Stocker a long term deal.
2 years max IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
kezza wrote:

I wouldn't be offering Stocker a long term deal.
2 years max IMHO.

Ditto.

Boyd is more of what we are looking for from our Back Pocket player.

Stocker will be behind Boyd and Williams who will come back in too.

If Stocker is competing for a midfield role he faces same issues as Dow & Setterfield...in the queue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

My wish list.

Goldstein - FA
Amon - FA
Go to draft with 4 picks which we can hopefully improve
A rookie pick
Pre season pick - Hope someone like Connor Ballenden that can step in and play any KP needed

I don’t think we need much more.
Fitness of McDonald Marchbank McGovern may influence our decisions

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
My wish list.

Goldstein - FA Depends on where the Big M is at by the end of the year.
Amon - FA Depends on how much the MC is stressing on the wings. Would undoubtably help JSOS to stay in the forward line
A rookie pick
Pre season pick - Hope someone like Connor Ballenden that can step in and play any KP needed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
My wish list.

Goldstein - FA
Amon - FA
A rookie pick

I love the idea of improving our first round pick, like we did in 2015, but to improve our first pick we will need to target a bottom 8 team's first round pick. Its not going to be easy.

With Lions bidding for FS Will Ashcroft, and I'm sure there's other FS picks on the horizon, like Alwyn for Druggies, but he's not going on the first round, let alone Academy picks. Nevertheless, there will be points needed by some teams. This is where we can improve our picks, but our first pick will be a late one as will the Lions and all top 8 teams first pick, Sydney included.

Our 1st round pick will be 18-10. Worth pursuing.
Our 2nd round pick will be 38-30 can get us a good player
Our 3rd round pick may be a promotion from rookie list....LOB unless he's happy to sign a contract extension but remain on the rookie list for another year.

A Ballenden type will go a late pick or PSD.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I know Amon made the AA squad in 2020, but this year I don't see much difference in Amon and LOB other than Amon seems to handle the physical contest better...not much better.

LOB is 185 and 84
Amon is 181 and 77

Any upgrade on the current best 22 is more than welcome, but I can't see Amon giving us a huge improvement on LOB.

I think LOB is a work in progress, and he may end up being depth given his weakness in a one on one contest, especially on the last line where wings are needed for support.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:02 am 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
I know Amon made the AA squad in 2020, but this year I don't see much difference in Amon and LOB other than Amon seems to handle the physical contest better...not much better.

LOB is 185 and 84
Amon is 181 and 77

Any upgrade on the current best 22 is more than welcome, but I can't see Amon giving us a huge improvement on LOB.

I think LOB is a work in progress, and he may end up being depth given his weakness in a one on one contest, especially on the last line where wings are needed for support.

I'm 50/50 on Amon. Only reason I like it is he's a free agent and he is a known quantity. At 27 is he worth it?

O'Brien Cottrell have shown good improvement and with the development of Boyd, Williams could easily play wing. Cuningham Hayes Fisher Setterfield are other wing options.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 93  Next