Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:32 pm 
Craig Bradley

FarmerBlue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Can’t see us using round 5 & 6 picks

We could easily trade for picks, splits picks, get picks back as part of trades, trade future picks and use rookie picks. 5-6 picks is not unusal. Some smart trading and we could have 3-4 inside top 30

Can you give us an example?

I can only find three, possibly four, assets in our possession that would attract any interest at the trade table.

Next year’s first round pick, estimated to be 11-20. We’d be able to trade that for pick 15-20 this year.
Paddy Dow. At most, a pick in the 30s (late 2nd, early 3rd)
Liam Stocker. As above.
Will Setterfield. Maybe a 4th round pick, somewhere in the 50s.

Two of those, I would HATE to see on the table.

Even with the miracle return on all three players, and a subsequent package deal with the acquired picks, there might be a pick in the 20s left over. THEN we’d have to find a way back into the first round in the year we’ve just traded out of. The rules force us to use two first round picks every four years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:35 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If we traded our F1 for a 1st rounder, depending where our 2nd lands, we could have 3 in 30 easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:19 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Can’t see us using round 5 & 6 picks

We could easily trade for picks, splits picks, get picks back as part of trades, trade future picks and use rookie picks. 5-6 picks is not unusal. Some smart trading and we could have 3-4 inside top 30

Can you give us an example?

I can only find three, possibly four, assets in our possession that would attract any interest at the trade table.

Next year’s first round pick, estimated to be 11-20. We’d be able to trade that for pick 15-20 this year.
Paddy Dow. At most, a pick in the 30s (late 2nd, early 3rd)
Liam Stocker. As above.
Will Setterfield. Maybe a 4th round pick, somewhere in the 50s.

Two of those, I would HATE to see on the table.

Even with the miracle return on all three players, and a subsequent package deal with the acquired picks, there might be a pick in the 20s left over. THEN we’d have to find a way back into the first round in the year we’ve just traded out of. The rules force us to use two first round picks every four years.

Future picks, bundling players or bundling picks for clubs who have F/S picks. Happens a lot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

jezzarules wrote:
If we traded our F1 for a 1st rounder, depending where our 2nd lands, we could have 3 in 30 easily.

Yep

If season stopped today we have Pick 12 and then have Pick 30. A Future first for this years first we easily have 3 inside 30.

We also have 62, 66 & 84

Then we could trade Dow for a 3rd rounder to a lower club. Lets say Pick 38. We could easily use later picks to help clubs get picks for F/S picks.

Even with little imagination we could have Pick 12, 20, 30, 38 & 62 in the draft. We can then have One rookie pick and a Pre season draft pick

We could pick up Lachlan Sholl from Crows for Pick 66. We traded SPS for 52. Maybe Karl Amon as a FA.

That's 8-9 changes without being to creative

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I know its a little early still but any idea what draft range the Campo twins may fall in?
May need to keep our 2023 picks to trade for 2024 picks if that makes sense to ensure we have enough points.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:00 am 
Geoff Southby

I don't think our list needs too much work in the off season other than replacing retired players with drafted ones.

The positions of weakness I feel we have are:
1. We are still missing 1 A grade inside mid/tagger (Prestia like or a Rowell).
Voss has been getting Cotts to do some tagging over the last month so maybe he could fill that role, the other is Dow.
Dow is better at clearances but Cotts has better endurance and attack on the man.
2. We still need a wingman that is great overhead, one that can be relied on to win 1 on 1's and be heavily competitive for 1 on 2's.
If Machbank or Gov were reliable they could fill that role or maybe Setterfield has lifted enough to take the next step.
3. Less injuries in defence, we can't really help that but we can start by drafting another key defender to back up the current ones.
4. The ruck issue we had this year shouldn't happen next year with another off season into Mirkov and TDK and a fit Young with less injuries in defence pinch hitting.

All other positions seem to have enough depth and with the above roles filled we can then have our small forwards playing less defensively outside F50 and at the feet of Harry and Charlie instead.

Injuries have really railroaded us this year, a lot more than I expected.

But geez it's been a good year so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:26 am 
Rod Ashman

FarmerBlue wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

Yep

If season stopped today we have Pick 12 and then have Pick 30. A Future first for this years first we easily have 3 inside 30.

We also have 62, 66 & 84

Then we could trade Dow for a 3rd rounder to a lower club. Lets say Pick 38. We could easily use later picks to help clubs get picks for F/S picks.

Even with little imagination we could have Pick 12, 20, 30, 38 & 62 in the draft. We can then have One rookie pick and a Pre season draft pick

We could pick up Lachlan Sholl from Crows for Pick 66. We traded SPS for 52. Maybe Karl Amon as a FA.

But so many assumptions!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:27 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

rhino27 wrote:
I know its a little early still but any idea what draft range the Campo twins may fall in?
May need to keep our 2023 picks to trade for 2024 picks if that makes sense to ensure we have enough points.

Jesus waaaaaaaaay too early to think of that

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:34 am 
Harry Vallence

carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

Yep

We also have 62, 66 & 84

But so many assumptions!

How else would you do it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:47 am 
Geoff Southby

Would you trade McGovern back to the Cows for Sam Berry?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:

Is he what we need? I hope McGovern stays and stays fit and he is really talented and will help us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Is he what we need? I hope McGovern stays and stays fit and he is really talented and will help us.

He's 20 years old, averaging 4 clearances and 9.1 tackles this season.
He could be a great addition to the middle, defensively.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:27 pm 
Garry Crane

who ever we draft has to be strong and quick ,no more soft bodies,eg coll player maqueery (spelt wrong) he is quick and hard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

jpulice1969 wrote:
who ever we draft has to be strong and quick ,no more soft bodies,eg coll player maqueery (spelt wrong) he is quick and hard.

I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:20 pm 
formerly Fevola

We dont like extroverts at Carlton. We need some of those. We recruit nice boys. Ie Hayes. Good story guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

I like him BUT we have Hewett Kennedy Cripps even Walsh who are tough clearance players

I wouldn't say no but I think we need run and ball use. Berry's kicking is questionable. Just not a priority for me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

jpulice1969 wrote:

Agree. A Dustin Martin clone would take us to the next level :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

I like him BUT we have Hewett Kennedy Cripps even Walsh who are tough clearance players

I wouldn't say no but I think we need run and ball use. Berry's kicking is questionable. Just not a priority for me

I don't disagree with the need for run, but I also believe we are missing a true tagger to stop or slow these losses in clearances we have had this year.
The return of Pitto will help a fair bit but I still think it is a position we haven't quite covered yet, especially with this 6-6-6 rule the centre clearances are the most important now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yes….

we need a…see you next Thursday Yolanda…type…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
jpulice1969 wrote:

Agree. A Dustin Martin clone would take us to the next level :thumbsup:

Yes.
How about Rowell or A Brayshaw.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 93  Next