Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:02 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Humpers wrote:
Would we consider someone like Andrew Gaff from West Coast?
He is coming towards the end of his career but is still a quality player and might come cheaply. Geelong have done well with the Isaac Smith trade and maybe we could do the same with someone like Gaff who would help address a glaring weakness in our side.
Matt Crouch is another player maybe worth considering as he seems out of favour at the Crows.

Only if we genuinely believe we can win the flag would you go Gaff.
No to Crouch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:06 am 
Harry Vallence

Humpers wrote:
He is coming towards the end of his career but is still a quality player and might come cheaply. Geelong have done well with the Isaac Smith trade and maybe we could do the same with someone like Gaff who would help address a glaring weakness in our side.
Matt Crouch is another player maybe worth considering as he seems out of favour at the Crows.

I think it's time to go to the draft. We haven't for a few years.

We need some quality around Wing & HB and there is talk we are chasing Sholl from Crows. He is an elite ball user which we need more of.

Some top end young talent is needed and another pre season to see whether Voss can get more improvement out of Setterfield O'Brien Carroll Cuningham Stocker Kemp Cottrell Boyd. That's where our real improvement will come from

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:15 am 
Ken Hunter

carntheblues wrote:
david31 wrote:
All list management decisions going forward need to address the threshold question of durability. Can we rely on this player to be available for the majority of games?
AFL seasons are long and become a grind in the winter months. The better clubs have lists that run deep and are generally durable. Our list is starting to run deep but we’re carrying too many players who are not durable. We know the names. Need to make some tough calls. If we go with the same group of injury prone players and they miss the majority of games through injury as they usually do, we will only he ourselves to blame. Based on interviews with Lloyd and Cook, the club understands the issue and intends to address it. Not sure why it has taken this long though.

Maybe we need to include a position in the soft cap for a clairvoyant. That way we can vet all potential new recruits and weed out those that wont be durable before they break down!

Or, you know, someone to look at the players' past records and ask themselves what are the chances of a perennial sicknote becoming a regular for us.

Games played per season by some of our recruits prior to arriving at Carlton...

Williams: 11, 8, 12, 22, 23, 2, 24, 11
Martin: 11, 12, 21, 22, 15, 16
Marchbank: 5, 2
McGovern: 23, 13, 12
McDonald: 2, 15, 20, 25, 12, 7

Admittedly, I don't know how many of these absences were due to injury vs selection, but note how all but one of these guys managed full seasons at some point in their career but landed with us after patchy runs. Since then they've continued along similar or worse trajectories. Conversely, we recruit an iron man like Newnes, and he remains an ever-reliable option for us.

I know that players can turn things around as their bodies mature, and sometimes it's worth a punt if they're going cheap. But we overstacked the list with gambles, probably because we couldn't attract the elite to our floundering club. Now that we're desirable again, I hope we can make less risky recruitment decisions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:30 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GreatEx wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
david31 wrote:
All list management decisions going forward need to address the threshold question of durability. Can we rely on this player to be available for the majority of games?
AFL seasons are long and become a grind in the winter months. The better clubs have lists that run deep and are generally durable. Our list is starting to run deep but we’re carrying too many players who are not durable. We know the names. Need to make some tough calls. If we go with the same group of injury prone players and they miss the majority of games through injury as they usually do, we will only he ourselves to blame. Based on interviews with Lloyd and Cook, the club understands the issue and intends to address it. Not sure why it has taken this long though.

Maybe we need to include a position in the soft cap for a clairvoyant. That way we can vet all potential new recruits and weed out those that wont be durable before they break down!

Or, you know, someone to look at the players' past records and ask themselves what are the chances of a perennial sicknote becoming a regular for us.

Games played per season by some of our recruits prior to arriving at Carlton...

Williams: 11, 8, 12, 22, 23, 2, 24, 11
Martin: 11, 12, 21, 22, 15, 16
Marchbank: 5, 2
McGovern: 23, 13, 12
McDonald: 2, 15, 20, 25, 12, 7

Admittedly, I don't know how many of these absences were due to injury vs selection, but note how all but one of these guys managed full seasons at some point in their career but landed with us after patchy runs. Since then they've continued along similar or worse trajectories. Conversely, we recruit an iron man like Newnes, and he remains an ever-reliable option for us.

I know that players can turn things around as their bodies mature, and sometimes it's worth a punt if they're going cheap. But we overstacked the list with gambles, probably because we couldn't attract the elite to our floundering club. Now that we're desirable again, I hope we can make less risky recruitment decisions.

Well our new coach rightly says the best ability is availability

He won't be recruiting injury riddled players unlike our predecessor did

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:34 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

FarmerBlue wrote:
Humpers wrote:

We need some quality around Wing & HB and there is talk we are chasing Sholl from Crows. He is an elite ball user which we need more of.

Some top end young talent is needed and another pre season to see whether Voss can get more improvement out of Setterfield O'Brien Carroll Cuningham Stocker Kemp Cottrell Boyd. That's where our real improvement will come from

I agree

Draft time

It is the lifeblood of clubs as Parko said

Yes Geel do it differently and they made us look like little boys the other night but I still prefer to get good youth than to rely on old players

And I am not 100% sure the list we have now will take us to the promised land

And our CEO hinted as much saying we need to keep turning the list over

We are dreaming if we think what we have now is the cattle required

Remember 1995 we made some key changes to the list that paved the way for premiership glory
Even though we were close prior

Well we aren't even top 4 right now and don't look like being top 4

Let's be real, we are a way off yet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 am 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Humpers wrote:

I agree

Draft time

Yes Geel do it differently and they made us look like little boys the other night but I still prefer to get good youth than to rely on old players

Remember 1995 we made some key changes to the list that paved the way for premiership glory

The more I look at our list the more I believe we need to make at least 8 changes and many tough ones.

Names like Marchbank Cuningham McDonald McGovern Williams Philp Martin are talented but can’t get on the park. You can have 2 or 3 of these but not 6-7 or more

We have a good list but it needs top end talent coming through. We have too many average players getting games and they will not take us to the next level

Big trade/draft period for Austin. He needs to get some quality picks and use them well. Then he needs to fill some gaps like back up ruck and a KP.

When names like Plowman Newnes Newman and the injured players are back up or even off the list then we are in a good spot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

2022 games at any level from our recovery frequent flyers:

Platinum:
Philp - 10 (season)
McGovern - 3 (available)
McDonald - 2 (season)
Cuningham - 0 (season)
Marchbank - 3 (returning)
Docherty - 17 (playing)

Silver:
Pittonet - 6 (available)
Williams - 8 (season)
Martin - 10 (returning)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:

Platinum:
Philp - 10 (season)
McGovern - 3 (available)
McDonald - 2 (season)
Cuningham - 0 (season)
Docherty - 17 (playing)

Silver:
Pittonet - 6 (available)
Williams - 8 (season)
Martin - 10 (returning)

I'd be very interested to know the numbers of these players over the last 3-4 years

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

FarmerBlue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Platinum:
Philp - 10 (season)
McGovern - 3 (available)
McDonald - 2 (season)
Cuningham - 0 (season)
Docherty - 17 (playing)

Silver:
Pittonet - 6 (available)
Williams - 8 (season)
Martin - 10 (returning)

I'd be very interested to know the numbers of these players over the last 3-4 years

https://aflmstats.com/

Bit of a stuff around on mobile, but probably not so bad on a desktop.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:23 am 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Platinum:
Philp - 10 (season)
McGovern - 3 (available)
McDonald - 2 (season)
Cuningham - 0 (season)
Docherty - 17 (playing)

Silver:
Pittonet - 6 (available)
Williams - 8 (season)
Martin - 10 (returning)

https://aflmstats.com/

Bit of a stuff around on mobile, but probably not so bad on a desktop.

We need to get rid of a number of our injury prone players. No doubt. We need better depth and competition for spots on a weekly basis.

We cannot keep all of McGovern Marchbank Cuningham Martin Williams Philp McDonald. At least 3-4 need to go

Big push at years end for resiliant and better skilled players

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:50 am 
Rod Ashman

FarmerBlue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Humpers wrote:

I agree

Draft time

The more I look at our list the more I believe we need to make at least 8 changes and many tough ones.

Names like Marchbank Cuningham McDonald McGovern Williams Philp Martin are talented but can’t get on the park. You can have 2 or 3 of these but not 6-7 or more

We have a good list but it needs top end talent coming through. We have too many average players getting games and they will not take us to the next level

Big trade/draft period for Austin. He needs to get some quality picks and use them well. Then he needs to fill some gaps like back up ruck and a KP.

When names like Plowman Newnes Newman and the injured players are back up or even off the list then we are in a good spot

Personally I think that is too many given where we are and the improvement made this year with the squad and the potential in improvement from many of the younger players. Also I disagree with the comment re "too many average players". It doesn't matter if they are top end talent, average or a plodder. If they play their role for the team then we will get to the next level.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:17 am 
Harry Vallence

carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Humpers wrote:

I agree

Draft time

Personally I think that is too many given where we are and the improvement made this year with the squad and the potential in improvement from many of the younger players. Also I disagree with the comment re "too many average players". It doesn't matter if they are top end talent, average or a plodder. If they play their role for the team then we will get to the next level.

and that is the issue. Our "role" players don't do their role especially against better sides. No matter what your role you need to do the basics well and perform consistently. IMO ours don't

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

Here is one from left field.

Rumours regarding Grundy leaving the 'woods. Pick him up if the 'woods pay part of his salary.

Delist OMac.

Trade one of Plowman, McGovern or Marchbank or all.

Play TDK as the floater in the backline or ruck as needed.

We still have Mirkov as backup ruck and Kemp as backup tall who are both improving.

Post subject: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Still big bucks and I reckon TDK is a couple of years off equivalent ability or more. Good player Grundy but contracted, would need to give up shit loads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

Yeah, I'd be extremely wary of that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluehammer wrote:
Still big bucks and I reckon TDK is a couple of years off equivalent ability or more. Good player Grundy but contracted, would need to give up shit loads.

I love a left field option but can't agree with this one.

TDK is the perfect 2nd Ruck/Fwd and will get a lot better. Great foil for McKay/Curnow. Point of difference to Pittonet

Also, I don't want Grundy. Ruck is not a priority

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

TDK is the perfect 2nd Ruck/Fwd and will get a lot better. Great foil for McKay/Curnow. Point of difference to Pittonet

You don’t think TDK will pile on muscle and get stronger?

Think of all rucks at 23yo and what they became,,,Grundy Witty…go back further and see the transformation of the undo Harr Madden. IMO TDK will be better than Harry.

As long as Pitto and TDK remain healthy we are ok in the ruck division…if we can score a Hickey, Goldstein type cheaply to break glass, that would be about it,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

You don’t think TDK will pile on muscle and get stronger?

Think of all rucks at 23yo and what they became,,,Grundy Witty…go back further and see the transformation of the undo Harr Madden. IMO TDK will be better than Harry.

I certainly do. Where did I say he wouldn't?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:52 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Humpers wrote:

I agree

Draft time

You make 8 changes you need to fill 8 positions and we don’t have a 3rd round pick.

Round 1 & 2 gets us 2 good kids to develop.
A trade, let’s say Sholl, costs round 4
Upgrade a couple rookies LOB & Cottrell
A cheap DFA…..

Can’t see us using round 5 & 6 picks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Can’t see us using round 5 & 6 picks

We could easily trade for picks, splits picks, get picks back as part of trades, trade future picks and use rookie picks. 5-6 picks is not unusal. Some smart trading and we could have 3-4 inside top 30

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 93  Next