Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 93  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:53 pm 
Craig Bradley

keogh wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
I’m glad he is gone because it has nothing to do with culture.
Some footballers are simply not good enough
Setterfield is not good enough only a dumb club like Essendon****** would contemplate having him on an AFL list
McGovern has talent but makes way too many errors. He doesn’t do the hard stuff well enough .
My point is when they were recruited
To recruit 2 guys for potentially 5 good players at a time when the club was at its lowest in terms of performance was ridiculous not to mention a million dollars in salary cap space per season
A club like Geelong simply doesn’t do that shit
That’s why they are constantly up there
They get some wrong but more right

Setterfield was constantly talked up by posters on here teammates and the club
Why?
Because he was a top 5 pick

Dow is in the same boat
He ain’t good enough
No awareness craps himself under pressure disposal is unsatisfactory
Like Setterfield a good VFL footballer

For the record, Geelong's top 4 in the B&F this year are 29, 30, 31 and 34.
If that was us, you'd be squealing like a pig.
Selective bitching as usual. Our list is building beautifully.
We've made mistakes but so has every club.

Good band name that.

Debut album, Everything is Everything by Selective Bitching.

Lead by the double A side single, Combines Are Pointless/He Can’t Run.

What weapons did Setterfield have?

None. Not a single one.

I would’ve delisted him and moved on. Same with Dow, Cuningham and O’Brien, but now I just look forward to hearing from you about how the grass is greener everywhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
He could play LOB on a break, if he just applied himself physically. LOB played most of the year and Setters got the bit parts.

His 3 years at Carlton were very disappointing, in that he didn't take those extra steps.

Regards Cazzesman

Dare I say we could compile a very long list of players that could play LOB on a break.

:lol:

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right

Bassssiiiillllllll

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Look I’m a doctor and I want my sausages!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwrTVHenqsI

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

I don't see the point bemoaning the picks we gave up for Setters or Gov... considering how many of our early first rounders flopped, what were our chances of striking gold in r2/3? No point in listing good late selections for Geelong, they're totally different environments, for all we know Dow might have become a mainstay at Kardinia. We're emerging from a shitty era in the club's history, let's keep building.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

You build a whole lot quicker without torching draft picks, and we should know because we’ve torched a few.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
I was a fan of Setterfield from his TAC days.

At that time, he had obvious AFL talent. You don't go Pick 5 without showing something.

He won the contested ball, had terrific vision in traffic, he was neat and tidy with his disposal and by all accounts had some leadership potential. On top of that he was a great size and decent athlete. He had the dreaded 'P' word potential, as an 18yr old.

Alas at 25, what he never developed was intensity and a fiercely competitive nature to dominate stoppages and games. He is too good for the VFL and yet his lack of physicality and intensity held him back at AFL level. Some players just don't have that in their makeup.

Keogh he is not a dud. Just like many, many before him, he has so far failed to get the very best out of himself. The penny just hasn't dropped yet and he is far from alone in that regard.

He has frustrated me no end in 2022. He could have secured his spot for the foreseeable future in out best 22 if only.......if only. He could play LOB on a break, if he just applied himself physically. LOB played most of the year and Setters got the bit parts.

His 3 years at Carlton were very disappointing, in that he didn't take those extra steps.

Regards Cazzesman

:clap:
You could add, he has also had 3 different coaches at the club since he was here, so not only was there no continuity in coaching like said clubs, there were no defined roles or structures for his attributes, hardly an environment to excel and get the best out of yourself if you needed the support.
I'd argue to say it's an issue of both player and circumstance.

Players are 18yo men when they come to the club.

They have a fantastic environment to ply their trade and develop.
I dont think the club should provide them with a baby bottle as well.
These kids choose a professional life. Most don't make it after their draft.
Club hardly at fault imo. Easy target.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
You build a whole lot quicker without torching draft picks, and we should know because we’ve torched a few.

We haven't torched many since Austin came, and that's where we are at.

SOS set us up in 2015 adding to Cripps and Doc.

Another No 1 pick in Walsh and there's a lovely set of names and all signed for the long term: which shows good character

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

GreatEx wrote:
I don't see the point bemoaning the picks we gave up for Setters or Gov... considering how many of our early first rounders flopped, what were our chances of striking gold in r2/3? No point in listing good late selections for Geelong, they're totally different environments, for all we know Dow might have become a mainstay at Kardinia. We're emerging from a shitty era in the club's history, let's keep building.

I agree. Forget the past era. We are finally emerging from the tunnel and now is the time to keep eyes firmly fixed forward to Number 17.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
AGRO wrote:

We haven't torched many since Austin came, and that's where we are at.

SOS set us up in 2015 adding to Cripps and Doc.

Another No 1 pick in Walsh and there's a lovely set of names and all signed for the long term: which shows good character

We’ve only gone to the draft with 3 live picks in Austin’s tenure - so sample size is small.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:57 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
I was a fan of Setterfield from his TAC days.

At that time, he had obvious AFL talent. You don't go Pick 5 without showing something.

He won the contested ball, had terrific vision in traffic, he was neat and tidy with his disposal and by all accounts had some leadership potential. On top of that he was a great size and decent athlete. He had the dreaded 'P' word potential, as an 18yr old.

Alas at 25, what he never developed was intensity and a fiercely competitive nature to dominate stoppages and games. He is too good for the VFL and yet his lack of physicality and intensity held him back at AFL level. Some players just don't have that in their makeup.

Keogh he is not a dud. Just like many, many before him, he has so far failed to get the very best out of himself. The penny just hasn't dropped yet and he is far from alone in that regard.

He has frustrated me no end in 2022. He could have secured his spot for the foreseeable future in out best 22 if only.......if only. He could play LOB on a break, if he just applied himself physically. LOB played most of the year and Setters got the bit parts.

Regards Cazzesman

:clap:
You could add, he has also had 3 different coaches at the club since he was here, so not only was there no continuity in coaching like said clubs, there were no defined roles or structures for his attributes, hardly an environment to excel and get the best out of yourself if you needed the support.
I'd argue to say it's an issue of both player and circumstance.

They have a fantastic environment to ply their trade and develop.
I dont think the club should provide them with a baby bottle as well.
These kids choose a professional life. Most don't make it after their draft.
Club hardly at fault imo. Easy target.

This isn't WW2.
18yo is hardly a man these days and most of these kids don't develop any maturity until well into their 20s and some I'd say a lot longer.
These kids "want" to be AFL players and a lot of them take longer to adjust to the pressures of the environment than your Walsh types.
And some just realise it's not actually what they want at all or just drag the chain until the penny drops or they are.
Sorry Bondi, but to think the club is hardly at fault for player development both physically and mentally when the club has actually come out and said how bad we've been at player development is kind of a silly comment TBH.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:

The problem was we got O'Reilly to do the building :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

Don’t worry….

because if the good lord meant us to worry…
he would’ve given us something to worry about…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
You win some and you lose some.

SOS did well to get us that bounty when we got Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham and Jack.
And he had some inspired mid to late draft choices (TDK says hi).

But on the downside he stuffed up the Dow and LOB draft, and the Stocker/Philp/Kemp picks look dodge right now (though Kemp looks alright I suppose), and most of his GWS plays didn't turn out to much granted many of these deals cost us little.

Some people don’t get it, if SOS had his way, we would have Weideman & Tomlinson instead of McKay & Curnow…

We got lucky…

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:

Developmentally speaking there is not much difference between a 16yr old brain and that of an 18yr old. However the difference between an 18yr old and a fully developed brain at around 25-26 is enormous.

They are boys with hairy legs and deep voices. I think the afl drafts them too young. A lot of these boys who have to move interstate move into a host family home where they can still be nurtured.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:43 am 
Ken Hunter

tommi wrote:
Don’t worry….

because if the good lord meant us to worry…
he would’ve given us something to worry about…!

kindest regards tommi

well I worry about you...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:29 am 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
AGRO wrote:

The problem was we got O'Reilly to do the building :lol:

Lick o’ paint….

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:54 am 
Bruce Doull

:grin:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:03 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

For the sake of completeness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyuS8GcENfQ

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:08 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

We would have been better off with this O’Reilly rather than Stephen O’Reilly.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:44 am 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
We would have been better off with this O’Reilly rather than Stephen O’Reilly.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 93  Next