Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 93  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:34 am 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
Heavs wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
I’m glad he is gone because it has nothing to do with culture.
Some footballers are simply not good enough
Setterfield is not good enough only a dumb club like Essendon***** would contemplate having him on an AFL list
McGovern has talent but makes way too many errors. He doesn’t do the hard stuff well enough .
My point is when they were recruited
To recruit 2 guys for potentially 5 good players at a time when the club was at its lowest in terms of performance was ridiculous not to mention a million dollars in salary cap space per season
A club like Geelong simply doesn’t do that shit
That’s why they are constantly up there
They get some wrong but more right

Setterfield was constantly talked up by posters on here teammates and the club
Why?
Because he was a top 5 pick

Dow is in the same boat
He ain’t good enough
No awareness craps himself under pressure disposal is unsatisfactory
Like Setterfield a good VFL footballer

For the record, Geelong's top 4 in the B&F this year are 29, 30, 31 and 34.
If that was us, you'd be squealing like a pig.
Selective bitching as usual. Our list is building beautifully.
We've made mistakes but so has every club.

Good band name that.

Debut album, Everything is Everything by Selective Bitching.

Lead by the double A side single, Combines Are Pointless/He Can’t Run.

What weapons did Setterfield have?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Setterfield will be 25 at the start of next season. Why have a 25 year old running around in your VFL team when you can give an opportunity to an 18 year old?
He was good depth but he played his best footy as a defensive mid. Hewitt does it far better. He wanted out, we got about 120 points for him instead of him going in the PSD.

I really rated Setterfield and am disappointed.

However, lists and SC are tight and we have a starting midfield of Cripps Walsh Cerra Hewett Kennedy & Docherty. Carroll is coming through and maybe Kemp. Williams is also an option. Dow may stay

Fisher Martin Durdin Motlop Cottrell can also do midfield minutes

We will also most likley pick up another 1 or 2 mids in the draft

Whilst I'm disappointed we are in a good spot

Right on FB!!

Acres also said last week that Vossy wanted the same as what he produced for freo this year, and will see some midfield minutes as an inside mid: share the load, and plenty going through the middle to keep them fresh and competitive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

Setterfield was horrible. Lacked urgency. Can't kick

Could have walked him to PSD, so to get anything is a bonus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

keogh wrote:

Weapons of mass vanilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:54 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Did you talk up Setterfield?................

What weapons did Setterfield have
Name them
We gave up a pick in the 20s and 43 and after 5 years and SFA we trade him for a fourth rounder............

Yet you still Trott out the same shit even when the powers to be at the club think he is shit too
For his own sake I hope he does ok At Essendon**
He is probably a nice guy
But he is an average AFL player

Typical Keogh argument. :lol:

Keogh: "Did you talk up Setterfield?...."

BV: Well in fact I've been challenged in recent days for saying the club did the right thing moving him on.

Keogh: Not to worry, I'll pretend you're talking him up anyway.......

"What weapons did Setterfield have
Name them"

BV: Not enough weapons. As he's approaching 25 and can't nail down a spot, the club was right to let him go.

"Yet you still Trott out the same shit even when the powers to be at the club think he is shit too"

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:12 pm 
Robert Walls

Let's build a Visy centre of excellence for the development of late rookie picks.

Would that make everyone happy?
We could finance it with a few pokies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
Did you talk up Setterfield?................

What weapons did Setterfield have
Name them
We gave up a pick in the 20s and 43 and after 5 years and SFA we trade him for a fourth rounder............

Yet you still Trott out the same shit even when the powers to be at the club think he is shit too
For his own sake I hope he does ok At Essendon***
He is probably a nice guy
But he is an average AFL player

Typical Keogh argument. :lol:

Keogh: "Did you talk up Setterfield?...."

BV: Well in fact I've been challenged in recent days for saying the club did the right thing moving him on.

"What weapons did Setterfield have
Name them"

BV: Not enough weapons. As he's approaching 25 and can't nail down a spot, the club was right to let him go.

"Yet you still Trott out the same shit even when the powers to be at the club think he is shit too"

Give me your view about Will Setterfield based on his 5 years at Carlton ?
You know my thoughts
And while your at it if you want tell us what to do with “ The Gov” if he produces similar stuff in 2023 when his contract expires

Last edited by keogh on Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
keogh wrote:

Weapons of mass vanilla

And low calorie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
What would you all like the club to do?
Handcuff him? Pull a gun on Dodoro?
He's out of contract. They offered him a far better deal than we did and they could have easily walked him to the PSD.
FFS. He's a fringe player who couldn't get a game. Anyone would think we traded Patrick Cripps.

Not sure anyone has said he is Cripps....

FWIW, its clear he was offered something better and good luck to him taking it. From what Im reading from others here, and also my own thoughts, is that there is valid questioning around why we had to add a pick as well only to gain a future 4th which basically adds little or no value to us.

The 2021 premiers traded a 22 year old who played 16 games this year for pick 44. A player they had offered a 3 year deal to. That's the current value this trade period.
We traded a 25 year old who cant get a regular game in a team that missed the 8. We wanted a future pick because it allows us to trade our future first if the right deal comes along. Throwing in a pick we were never going to use is irrelevant IMHO.

This is the only relevant reason for the pick swap imo.

We can make up stuff like suggesting Austin/Carlton wanting to find a home for Setterfield without the embarrassment/tarnish delisting brings with it, or, tried to avoid the taunts that may have come SOS' way, regarding his midfield failings...but we're making it up. The abovementioned thought is reasonable.

I also like Bluey 44's suggestion too:

Quote:
But the bonus is that they got a deal done, and saved themselves a couple of days having to talk to Dodo.
Less dodo time?
#priceless

He's gone. we move on. One day we will find out more from Austin, or even Setterfield.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:50 pm 
Garry Crane

sos recruiting another failure setters and Dow who no one wanted . Tipping a big year for dow in 2023 though. Austin hasn't really impressed me ,everything he has done at this stage is very simple /basic that i could have done his job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

I was a fan of Setterfield from his TAC days.

At that time, he had obvious AFL talent. You don't go Pick 5 without showing something.

He won the contested ball, had terrific vision in traffic, he was neat and tidy with his disposal and by all accounts had some leadership potential. On top of that he was a great size and decent athlete. He had the dreaded 'P' word potential, as an 18yr old.

Alas at 25, what he never developed was intensity and a fiercely competitive nature to dominate stoppages and games. He is too good for the VFL and yet his lack of physicality and intensity held him back at AFL level. Some players just don't have that in their makeup.

Keogh he is not a dud. Just like many, many before him, he has so far failed to get the very best out of himself. The penny just hasn't dropped yet and he is far from alone in that regard.

He has frustrated me no end in 2022. He could have secured his spot for the foreseeable future in out best 22 if only.......if only. He could play LOB on a break, if he just applied himself physically. LOB played most of the year and Setters got the bit parts.

His 3 years at Carlton were very disappointing, in that he didn't take those extra steps.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Has a team ever been successful at the high end of the draft without a solid investment in player development/welfare? There's a massive correlation between the Collingwood, West Coast and Hawthorn types who can afford solid investment in player development/welfare and their strike rate at the draft compared to the start ups, Melbourne, Lions, North, Carlton etc.

That’s the problem posters on here have. Excuse after excuse.
In todays footy world at the top level recruiting talent is number one in terms of importance
Player development is important but if you haven’t got the socks to start with there is nothing to pull up

The club bullshitted it’s way through a presser in 2016 saying the quick fix was over.
It only took just over 2 years before the club did a backflip on that old chestnut.

Our top end talent is excellent but our depth is poor.
Recruiting decisions like Setterfields add up down the road.

I have said this sooo many times
Have a look at the Premiership teams year in year out
So many rookie late picks
Geelong a classic case this year
Your head of List Management is the most important employee at your club

Good thing we have moved on from those days.

SOS failed more than he succeeded.
He couldn't get the right mids, and couldnt attract big targets over (Cognilio, Shiel) thank god.

Liddle is gone and with that his meddling in Footy Dept business.

Judd the footy director at the time is gone too. He didnt seem to have much influence on list and development.

So to a degree MLG failed along with, Liddle, SOS, Teague and Judd failed.

Sayers Williams Voss and Cook with Austin as list mgr look the goods.

What I find incredible ids the dozen players from other teams that make our best 23 strong as it is along with players from picks # 1, 1, 10 & 12 over 5 years (and 30 picks in the draft)

What it says to me is it wont take long to bring in and develop good depth players when we get rid of the fringe players.

We may just well have TDK, Carroll, Kemp, Philp, Honey, Cottrell, Durdin pick 10 & Cuningham bashing down the door in 2023 and have the likes of Newman, Plowman, McGovern/Marchbank, OBrien, Martin, Fisher, Owies, Dow & Sam Durdin as our depth players, along with the few of the abovementioned door bashers. That's not bad depth imo....in fact, its damn good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Cazzesman wrote:

At that time, he had obvious AFL talent. You don't go Pick 5 without showing something.

He won the contested ball, had terrific vision in traffic, he was neat and tidy with his disposal and by all accounts had some leadership potential. On top of that he was a great size and decent athlete. He had the dreaded 'P' word potential, as an 18yr old.

Alas at 25, what he never developed was intensity and a fiercely competitive nature to dominate stoppages and games. He is too good for the VFL and yet his lack of physicality and intensity held him back at AFL level. Some players just don't have that in their makeup.

Keogh he is not a dud. Just like many, many before him, he has so far failed to get the very best out of himself. The penny just hasn't dropped yet and he is far from alone in that regard.

He has frustrated me no end in 2022. He could have secured his spot for the foreseeable future in out best 22 if only.......if only. He could play LOB on a break, if he just applied himself physically. LOB played most of the year and Setters got the bit parts.

His 3 years at Carlton were very disappointing, in that he didn't take those extra steps.

Regards Cazzesman

Yep this pretty much it up.

Setters has most of the tools but lacks intent.

I'd hazard a guess he is a bit introverted as a person.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

:clap:
You could add, he has also had 3 different coaches at the club since he was here, so not only was there no continuity in coaching like said clubs, there were no defined roles or structures for his attributes, hardly an environment to excel and get the best out of yourself if you needed the support.
I'd argue to say it's an issue of both player and circumstance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jpulice1969 wrote:
sos recruiting another failure setters and Dow who no one wanted . Tipping a big year for dow in 2023 though. Austin hasn't really impressed me ,everything he has done at this stage is very simple /basic that i could have done his job.

So he doesn't need to use punctuation either?

I like your optimism though in that another failure who no one wants is going to have a big year in 2023.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

A good inside mid just thinks about getting the ball
The don’t worry about contact
Setterfield did when he was at Carlton
We gave up an early 2 second rounder and a third rounder and now we get a fourth rounder
It isn’t that simple but too many situations like this set you back

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:31 pm 
Ken Hunter

Heavs wrote:
jpulice1969 wrote:

So he doesn't need to use punctuation either?

I like your optimism though in that another failure who no one wants is going to have a big year in 2023.

Punctuation is over-rated - LOL emoji/#/twitter/etc, etc.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:35 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

You win some and you lose some.

SOS did well to get us that bounty when we got Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham and Jack.
And he had some inspired mid to late draft choices (TDK says hi).

But on the downside he stuffed up the Dow and LOB draft, and the Stocker/Philp/Kemp picks look dodge right now (though Kemp looks alright I suppose), and most of his GWS plays didn't turn out to much granted many of these deals cost us little.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

keogh wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

A good inside mid just thinks about getting the ball
The don’t worry about contact
Setterfield did when he was at Carlton
We gave up an early 2 second rounder and a third rounder and now we get a fourth rounder
It isn’t that simple but too many situations like this set you back

Yep good point.......but

Saad
Hewett
Williams
Cera
Young
Acres
Boyd and a few others, plus re-signing Crippa, Weits, Walsh, Charlie and Harry might just set you up long term.

Nobody has all hits and no misses in the AFL.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
He could play LOB on a break, if he just applied himself physically. LOB played most of the year and Setters got the bit parts.

Regards Cazzesman

Dare I say we could compile a very long list of players that could play LOB on a break.

Winston Churchill

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 93  Next