Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:50 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Blue Vain wrote:
I'll be interested to see if they have they tried to ramp up the fitness of our ruck coach to see if his body stands up to the rigours?
It would be handy to have his guile and size around the stoppages at the moment. At 33 he's about 12 months younger than Goldstein or Ryder.
If he could fill a void until Pitto comes back later in the year, it may be worth the risk as a last list spot.

I understood the concept of playing Cripps in the ruck on the weekend so JSOS could spend more time up forward but it took away from Cripps game IMHO and it wont work against teams with 2 decent ruckmen. It would also allow TDK to spend more time forward whilst Harry is injured.

Hail Mary selection? Maybe but could it be worth a final list spot as it appears we'll have 2 selections if we want them.

Would he need to have nominated by now? Love the idea

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:32 am 
Bert Deacon

Apparently the cut-off for MSD player nominations is 5pm Tuesday 24 May.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/754387/2022-nab-afl-mid-season-rookie-draft

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:28 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Geelong and Hawthorn both very light on for rucks at the moment too due to injury. Given they both have picks before us, could be slim pickings in the MSD if we are looking to shore up our ruck stocks.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:13 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Was thinking MK earlier today
Surely not tho

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:14 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

As an aside get rid of Dow at our peril. He would thrive in the senior side if there was a spot. Might be worth giving Carroll and spell and bringing Dow in.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/23/ ... iod-swing/

Carlton will this year step back from the frontline of the trade and free agency windows to focus on the draft.

The Blues have been among the most active players in the exchange period in recent years, but are bracing for critical contract negotiations with some of their most important performers.

Carlton have already been linked with Port Adelaide free agent Karl Amon, but sources said the Blues would only be involved in trade or free agent deals at the lower end of the pay scale, if at all.

Star Blues Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay both fall out of contract next year and will command significant new deals at top dollar.

Blossoming forward-ruck Tom De Koning and No.1 ruckman Marc Pittonet will need new contracts, while Zac Fisher and Jack Silvagni headline a group of important role players who also need to be re-signed.

Carlton has not used a first-round pick since taking Brodie Kemp in 2019 as it set about picking off talent from rival clubs.

Established pair Adam Cerra (trade) and George Hewett (free agent) came in last year. In 2020 it was Adam Saad (trade) and Zac Williams (free agent), while Jack Martin was forced into the pre-season draft in 2019 and Mitch McGovern was traded for in 2018.

Post subject: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I love this approach. We need to bring young players into a good culture. For 20 years we brought young players into a shit culture and put them into the furnace.

I have always looked at Joel Selwood, pick 7 or whatever it was. Came into a strong culture and team. Travis Boak similar.

We threw Gibbs and Murphy in with no culture, leadership or structure around them.

We are in a position to build from the draft and bring players into a positive environment.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

Effes wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/23/carlton-to-prioritise-draft-over-another-big-trade-period-swing/

Carlton will this year step back from the frontline of the trade and free agency windows to focus on the draft.

The Blues have been among the most active players in the exchange period in recent years, but are bracing for critical contract negotiations with some of their most important performers.

Carlton have already been linked with Port Adelaide free agent Karl Amon, but sources said the Blues would only be involved in trade or free agent deals at the lower end of the pay scale, if at all.

Star Blues Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay both fall out of contract next year and will command significant new deals at top dollar.

Blossoming forward-ruck Tom De Koning and No.1 ruckman Marc Pittonet will need new contracts, while Zac Fisher and Jack Silvagni headline a group of important role players who also need to be re-signed.

Carlton has not used a first-round pick since taking Brodie Kemp in 2019 as it set about picking off talent from rival clubs.

Established pair Adam Cerra (trade) and George Hewett (free agent) came in last year. In 2020 it was Adam Saad (trade) and Zac Williams (free agent), while Jack Martin was forced into the pre-season draft in 2019 and Mitch McGovern was traded for in 2018.

Good. Get a couple of talls in MSD and then go to the draft.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:38 am 
Geoff Southby

18 Carlton VFL players have nominated for MSD.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/767871/full-list-of-msd-nominations-ex-sun-blue-s-brother-among-the-prospects

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:39 am 
Rod Ashman

Not sure where to post this but I just had a look at the AFLCA Coaches Award and of the top 19 leaderboard that is listed, Melbourne and us have each got 3 players (us = Cripps, Curnow & Walsh). Richmond & Bris have 2 each.

In terms of All-Australians, I'd think we'd currently have Cripps, Weitering, and Docherty. And I reckon Hewett would be close and Walsh probably will get closer if his form continues its trajectory back to his best.

It is cool to see that the stats seem to be supporting our rise on the ladder - I keep getting surprised by this as I still feel we are not quite as good as our ladder position appears to place us. Anyway, we are certainly on a ride this season and I'd hope that we will be a much better team at the end of this season than we were at the start.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:47 am 
Geoff Southby

I'm the same, our ladder position makes me uneasy.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:02 am 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:

And Finbar O’Dwyer!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:09 am 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

And Finbar O’Dwyer!

Doesn't Finbar play for Williamstown?

Who do you like for MSD?

I would like a KPD but then again I really like Will Hayes too.

For me:
1. Cripps/Hayes
2. Cripps/Finbar

Wade Dersken is a big unit too, but he's been playing forward.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:52 am 
Harry Vallence

We really need a tall with out first pick and possibly second. Ballenden & Strom would be my hope. Having said that I have been impressed by Will Hayes in the Reserves as a tough big bodied mid

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

FarmerBlue wrote:
We really need a tall with out first pick and possibly second. Ballenden & Strom would be my hope. Having said that I have been impressed by Will Hayes in the Reserves as a tough big bodied mid

I guess it’s a matter of perspective, but I wouldn’t bracket Hayes with the ‘big-bodied’ group. He’s bigger than Fisher & Motlop, but that’s about it.

Ballenden has had some good moments this season. He was a touch unlucky to get the flick from Brisbane, but they would feel justified with what Fort has given them.

Hard to see either he, or Strom getting past the 14 clubs in front of us, but we can hope.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sidefx wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

And Finbar O’Dwyer!

Who do you like for MSD?

For me:
1. Cripps/Hayes
2. Cripps/Finbar

Yeah, Finbar is playing for Willi. Doc S provided an update on him recently. He is a ‘no’ from me.

Will Hayes has been excellent in the games he’s played in the VFL this year. You wouldn’t necessarily recruit him based on ‘need’ but he is someone who could step in and play AFL this weekend if needed and available.

It would be a great result if a mature age ruckman fell to us in the MSD. Someone to help us get through to the end of the season. Kreuzer would have been ideal, but he hasn’t nominated.

I guess the other need we have is for a KP, preferably one who can play at both ends but mainly in defence. A non-injured OMac basically. Having seen a fair bit of the reserves this year, I don’t think JGM or Cripps Jnr are the answer. I notice Michael Hartley has nominated - what do we think of him?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:58 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

And Finbar O’Dwyer!

Who do you like for MSD?

For me:
1. Cripps/Hayes
2. Cripps/Finbar

Yeah, Finbar is playing for Willi. Doc S provided an update on him recently. He is a ‘no’ from me.

Will Hayes has been excellent in the games he’s played in the VFL this year. You wouldn’t necessarily recruit him based on ‘need’ but he is someone who could step in and play AFL this weekend if needed and available.

It would be a great result if a mature age ruckman fell to us in the MSD. Someone to help us get through to the end of the season. Kreuzer would have been ideal, but he hasn’t nominated.

I guess the other need we have is for a KP, preferably one who can play at both ends but mainly in defence. A non-injured OMac basically. Having seen a fair bit of the reserves this year, I don’t think JGM or Cripps Jnr are the answer. I notice Michael Hartley has nominated - what do we think of him?

Hartley ? yeah , good pick up " Sue ". He can play CHB and is a mile in front of JGM . If Weiters goes down we are ratshit , so yeah , could be handy .

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Dedicated thread for MSD discussion is here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=37510

Post subject: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

17th Premiership wrote:
Not sure where to post this but I just had a look at the AFLCA Coaches Award and of the top 19 leaderboard that is listed, Melbourne and us have each got 3 players (us = Cripps, Curnow & Walsh). Richmond & Bris have 2 each.

In terms of All-Australians, I'd think we'd currently have Cripps, Weitering, and Docherty. And I reckon Hewett would be close and Walsh probably will get closer if his form continues its trajectory back to his best.

It is cool to see that the stats seem to be supporting our rise on the ladder - I keep getting surprised by this as I still feel we are not quite as good as our ladder position appears to place us. Anyway, we are certainly on a ride this season and I'd hope that we will be a much better team at the end of this season than we were at the start.

How do you not have Curnow in the current AA team? He’s currently leading the Coleman. Coleman medal winner gets picked every single year. If the team was picked now, Charlie would be a lock.

Im still not sure Weitering would be in. His past 2 weeks have been scintillating but before that he was a bit up and down. Haven’t watched enough non-Carlton games to compare him to other key defenders though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

17th Premiership wrote:

Curnow says hi

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 93  Next