Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Judd one son wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Judd one son wrote:
A three tall backline is an absolute must next year. Plowman is not one of these, he should play on most dangerous goal kicking small every week. Weitering is a lock, then we need to pick the best intercept market and the best agile tall. Weitering isn't a great runner and wouldn't be able to play on the running / jumping forwards like Jeremy Cameron etc.
Lachie Young could be the best option to play on tall athletes.
Kemp, McGovern and Marchbank would be competing for the intercept position.
Id like to see one of them develop into a genuine defender though, rather than just wanted to intercept. McGovern could be a brilliant defensive match up for Heeney, Liam Ryan, De Goey etc. the mid sized marking players who are good above head have given us massive headaches for years. He has the speed and aerial ability to mould into the Dylan grimes defender who can play big and small and would love to see him become a truely accountable defender.

Leaves it something like this....

Plowman Weitering McGovern
Saad Young Williams

With Newman or Kemp selected as the 7th defender, possibly docherty at some stage allowing Williams midfield too.

I'm a fan of 3 tall defenders, and 2 ruckmen in a GF, so I think that should be the practise throughout the H & A.

Agree Weiters is a lock, and given that height and mobility we need (similar to jones), the height, mobility and good development at the Bulldogs, by default Lewis Young is the other 200cm tall. Is so similar to Jones and spooky how he comes from the Doggies too. Is this the first sign of the great things to come in 2022?

I'd love for McGovern to be good enough to play that role on the medium forward, and never want to see Plowman with that type of match up if it can be avoided. But. McGovern has to earn that spot.

IF Marchbank is fit, he's the list's best natural class intercept mark (Lever like), and therefore 3rd tall IMO.

So I'd have Marchbank pencilled in before I pencil in McGovern because both have question marks on their fitness, and McGovern has a lot of other question marks.

Plowman on the smalls is not a given as some argue. He's had good days against class smalls his fans will highlight ad nauseum, despite far and few for a long time, but he's also had some shockers against the smalls. IMO, with Doc returning, and he's got Dec, Jan, Feb and March to get fit for round 1, I can't see him missing, and would prefer him to lockdown on a small, and direct the backline.

I even have Kemp ahead of Plowman and McGovern based on what I've seen. He's quick and a good mark, and brings good aggression and can play multi positions. Lets remember that the coach looks like he's trying to find a spot for Gov, and throwing out the challenge for a spot that seems is not Plowman's anymore.

Perhaps Kemp's point of difference would be being able to play smaller? Don't see a whole lot separating Kemp, McGovern and Marchbank at the moment. Suggest only one could play.

We need to remember with Young though, that he was behind a couple of average defenders in Gardiner & Cordy at the bulldogs. He'd need to improve quite considerably to become automatic at Carlton. Wonder whether any of the other three can develop into a true genuine tall and play on a Riewoldt or Cameron as is required against a two pronged attack?

Kemp is a very versatile player. Like Cripps he's 195cm KP size midfielder. Already has a big body and much taller than Gov, 5cm, and a couple cms taller than Marchbank. The difference is, if Kemp can put on a bit more muscle/ strength, and he's entering his 3rd preseason (on his upper body at least), he can play KP.

As for the 3rd tall for me the order of preference is Marchbank Kemp Gov Parks. I'd also have Kemp as the 7th defender over Plowman, Newman and williamson not just for his JSOS like versatlity but for his athletic attributes.

I think Kemp could play on smalls; he's quite mobile and nimble for 195cms, imo, moreso than Plowman. But I'd prefer Doc to take care of a small forward any day of the week before kemp and Plowman, now that he wont be exposed by Teague's weak defensive game plan.

The thing about Lewis is despite being 3rd Kahuna behind what you refer to as "average defenders in Gardiner & Cordy at the bulldogs", but I don't agree with. Beveridge didnt gift games easily AND preferred a shorter more attacking defenders. Doesn't mean Young wasnt good enough. Have a look back at the game he gave Charlie and absolute bath to see whether this kid has got it or not.

I agree Young is not proven/ cemented himself as a KPD yet: he's only 22yo. But as far as a tall KPD who else have we got? Hence my reference to mim as the "default" selection. Therefore, and its only my thinking, KPD is his to lose imo.

Haven't had a look at the team for a while and just realised there's Oscar at 196cm on the radar too. IMO he also needs to work on his upper body strength because like Young at the Dogs, Oscar at the Dees was easy to move in one on one's against the bigger KPF's, and that isn't at unsusual challenge for even the experienced, albeit smaller KPD's at many teams, including Richmond.

With Voss coming in with a good team defense game plan, and losing Jones, we don't want Jones' replacement to be our achilles heel... and I don't think it will.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

For Lewis young
I want to be for Lewis young
Do you really want to live forever......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
For Lewis young
I want to be for Lewis young
Do you really want to live forever......

:grin: :clap: expected of you.

Youre an ideas man CK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

I try bondi!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Surely Liam Jones can come back now.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:30 pm 
Laurie Kerr

buzzaaaah wrote:

I dont see why not either. Just get one of those medical exemptions like djokavic obtained. Afl players where open to play with medical exemptions werent they? Technically if he got omicron today for example, does a rat test, reports it to government, and then applies for medical exemption that should be valid for 6 months at least. By then there may be no mandate. I dont see why he cant just do that and be accepted. Its not like hes missed a huge amount of pre season to make him physically irrelevant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:54 am 
Geoff Southby

Bluetears wrote:
buzzaaaah wrote:

I dont see why not either. Just get one of those medical exemptions like djokavic obtained. Afl players where open to play with medical exemptions werent they? Technically if he got omicron today for example, does a rat test, reports it to government, and then applies for medical exemption that should be valid for 6 months at least. By then there may be no mandate. I dont see why he cant just do that and be accepted. Its not like hes missed a huge amount of pre season to make him physically irrelevant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'm a huge fan but his time is up. The other players made the commitment and did what was required.
He had the chance and decided to go his own way. End of story IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Bluetears wrote:

I dont see why not either. Just get one of those medical exemptions like djokavic obtained. Afl players where open to play with medical exemptions werent they?

Why not would be basically the same reason Novax is in detention. It's not a legit reason if you could have got the jab earlier but decided not to. Hard to bs that you were planning to when you're a known anti-vax.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:28 pm 
Laurie Kerr

jezzarules wrote:
Bluetears wrote:

I dont see why not either. Just get one of those medical exemptions like djokavic obtained. Afl players where open to play with medical exemptions werent they?

Why not would be basically the same reason Novax is in detention. It's not a legit reason if you could have got the jab earlier but decided not to. Hard to bs that you were planning to when you're a known anti-vax.

Thet wouldnt be entirely the same situation. I think novak might have told some porkies in his visa application which was auto approved.

Last edited by Bluetears on Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:31 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Blue Vain wrote:
I'm a huge fan but his time is up. The other players made the commitment and did what was required.
He had the chance and decided to go his own way. End of story IMHO.

Yeah i am guessing this would be his main obstacle to any return.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:21 am 
Craig Bradley

What is the point of a vax mandate when it does sweet FA to stop infection. Everyone is going to get Covid anyway. Apparently there are 50+ players infected right now.

It’s political posturing and that’s it. Has absolutely nothing to do with health. Jones is young, fit and healthy and Covid will do nothing more than put him in bed for a week at worst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:11 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jake_h03 wrote:
What is the point of a vax mandate when it does sweet FA to stop infection. Everyone is going to get Covid anyway. Apparently there are 50+ players infected right now.

It’s political posturing and that’s it. Has absolutely nothing to do with health. Jones is young, fit and healthy and Covid will do nothing more than put him in bed for a week at worst

Omicron wasn't around when the mandates were introduced. Who knows what future variations will be like?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:59 am 
Craig Bradley

jezzarules wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Omicron wasn't around when the mandates were introduced. Who knows what future variations will be like?

Even with Delta, there is little if any evidence that vaccination reduces the rate of infection. Almost all of Europe and the US was blowing up with outbreaks before Omicron existed despite high vax rates. The vax seems to be effective in reducing hospitalisation and death but not infection

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:07 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jake_h03 wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Even with Delta, there is little if any evidence that vaccination reduces the rate of infection. Almost all of Europe and the US was blowing up with outbreaks before Omicron existed despite high vax rates. The vax seems to be effective in reducing hospitalisation and death but not infection

Ok. Let it rip then ?!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

jezzarules wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Ok. Let it rip then ?!

I’m just saying the vax is doing little if anything to stop the spread, so what’s the point of mandates? The vax is only providing protection for the vaxxed individual, no one else

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

jezzarules wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Ok. Let it rip then ?!

Why not?

90% of the country is vaccinated. The most vulnerable got first dibs, so they’re covered. What are we waiting for?

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if the mandate is gone before the mid-season draft rolls around.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

So we say to Liam, "Its OK mate, we got vaccinated to get us to 90%, you can bludge off the rest of us"
He made his choice, it's over.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:54 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Remember he is mates with most (if not all) of the team i assume. You would have to consider there might be a chance the team would not hold it against a "mate" and/or forgive them if any animosity existed, as opposed to how they would view that situation towards a stranger.

I wonder how his contract ended too. Was it cancelled (maybee in attempt to gain a compensation draft pick), or was it just left to expire. If the latter maybee he could just waltz back into the team. If his contract has been cancelled and hes already delisted he may need to be redrafted as a rookie or something. I dont know how tha situation sits, and it would be relevent to any comeback.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Technically due to having retired he cannot be picked up for 2022.
Would require an AFL makey-uppey exemption. Maybe Tennis Australia can help out?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next