Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jake_h03 wrote:
Even with Delta, there is little if any evidence that vaccination reduces the rate of infection. Almost all of Europe and the US was blowing up with outbreaks before Omicron existed despite high vax rates. The vax seems to be effective in reducing hospitalisation and death but not infection.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/12/29/22858379/third-covid-19-booster-shot-slow-omicron-variant-spread

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:56 pm 
John Nicholls

jake_h03 wrote:
Even with Delta, there is little if any evidence that vaccination reduces the rate of infection. Almost all of Europe and the US was blowing up with outbreaks before Omicron existed despite high vax rates. The vax seems to be effective in reducing hospitalisation and death but not infection.

Which is exactly what they'd been saying since the vaccines were "built" and went into trials.

Shocking, I know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

GWS wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/12/29/22858379/third-covid-19-booster-shot-slow-omicron-variant-spread

Go away with your facts and scientific information.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:50 pm 
Laurie Kerr

jezzarules wrote:
Technically due to having retired he cannot be picked up for 2022.
Would require an AFL makey-uppey exemption. Maybe Tennis Australia can help out?

Didnt mumford retire end 2020 then come back and play last season for gws? As you say maybee afl makee upley rules. Haha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Bluetears wrote:
jezzarules wrote:
Technically due to having retired he cannot be picked up for 2022.
Would require an AFL makey-uppey exemption. Maybe Tennis Australia can help out?

Didnt mumford retire end 2020 then come back and play last season for gws? As you say maybee afl makee upley rules. Haha

He was out for a year last time.
This time he nominated for the national draft which makes him eligible for the 2022 mid-season draft if gws need him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
GWS wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Facts are we are having hundreds of thousands of cases daily despite 95% vax rates. It is spreading like wildfire amongst vaxxed and unvaxxed alike. I trust what is actually happening more than any ‘study’

Supportive of the vax but I’ve seen no real evidence to convince me it stops the spread of the virus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:14 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jake_h03 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
GWS wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Facts are we are having hundreds of thousands of cases daily despite 95% vax rates. It is spreading like wildfire amongst vaxxed and unvaxxed alike. I trust what is actually happening more than any ‘study’

Supportive of the vax but I’ve seen no real evidence to convince me it stops the spread of the virus

You’ve just quoted two links referring to studies showing that the vaccines slow the spread but you’ve seen “no real evidence”.

Ask yourself how fast it might be spreading without vaccines.

And then consider how that might affect hospitals, health workers and patients needing non-COVID attention.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
GWS wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

You’ve just quoted two links referring to studies showing that the vaccines slow the spread but you’ve seen “no real evidence”.

Ask yourself how fast it might be spreading without vaccines.

And then consider how that might affect hospitals, health workers and patients needing non-COVID attention.
You are unbelievable.

This vaccine we have all taken is next to useless against this current cold and flu spreading even the CEO of Pfizer has said as much.

This sort of stuff happens every year and is why flu Vax is constantly changing.

More people have died since the vaccine than before.

You can make up coulda woulda shoulda shit all you like but you can only deal with the numbers that are being presented.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:23 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jake_h03 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
GWS wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

???

Studies of what is happening can't be trusted, but your observations of what is happening are correct?
There are not hundreds of thousands a day...that's not a FACT

It's not spreading in vaxed and unvaxed ALIKE... (that's what others have posted here... and there's plenty of other evidence)

Vaxing isn't about stopping viruses.. It's about stopping the impact... Who promised otherwise?

Every sentence is wrong...
(or did I miss the sarcasm?)

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:

Vaccine obviously killed them!

I shouldn’t laugh but FMD you crack me up Syd… :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:

Vaccine obviously killed them!

I shouldn’t laugh but FMD you crack me up Syd… :lol:
No but how many people were hiding under the bed and then got vaccine and thought it was safe to come out

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

My 85yo mother caught covid on NYD, from my family, despite being diligent and careful not to catch it.
She has underlying health issues.
She is double vaxed, and still feeling the effects of covid post isolation.
She believes the effects of the flu was worse.
We believe she would have been in strife had she not been vaxed.
We were never under the impression we couldn't catch the disease.

After watching the footage of 195cm Cripps monstering 200cm Young, I think we will miss out on the flag this year with Jones missing, all because he was scared off from being vaxed by the expert doomsdayers. Everyone is an expert, and no one has an answer.

Bring on 2022.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:39 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Back on the topic... it seems jones has joined the palm beach fc on the gold coast.. probably puts an end to any chance of him coming back.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... aac5bcdda1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:10 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Bluetears wrote:
Back on the topic... it seems jones has joined the palm beach fc on the gold coast.. probably puts an end to any chance of him coming back.

Interested to see what the vaccination rules to play footy are in QLD, and if they are lax in comparison to AFL, what happens if QLD govt changed its rules.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
Bluetears wrote:

Interested to see what the vaccination rules to play footy are in QLD, and if they are lax in comparison to AFL, what happens if QLD govt changed its rules.
Updated on 17th Dec

Outdoor sport
Vaccinated and unvaccinated persons are permitted to attend and participate.

from here

https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/governme ... strictions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

For mine, I agree with Bondi (and probably most people) that there is much we don't know. And much of what we do know is coming through some sort of filter - even some of the reporting of data, be it political or ideological. We tend to place greater weight in sources we already like/trust/align with.

I am extremely pro-Vax. I am triple vaxed not because I was told to do so by the government but because I believe it will help protect me from getting very sick or dying. I originally, believed - as I think most people did - that it would protect me from catching COVID. But, I'll happily take the benefit of reducing the severity.
I think that if you decide not to get vaxed, that is primarily putting yourself at risk.

However, I also think the AFL over-reached in mandating that every player must be vaccinated. Probably, under political pressure to make an example, it acted hastily.
We know can see various rules for unprofessional sports that both vaxed and un-vaxed can play; and also that COVID is spreading quickly amongst vaccinated people (given >90% vax rate in Australia).

I think Jones would be feeling pretty pissed off that he was forced out, given how many vaccinated players have since tested positive. i.e. The rule has not stopped the spread amongst AFL players. It may have reduced it but I very much doubt that a handful of unvaxed players would have moved the needle very much.

Having said all that, I'm not so worried about Jones being missing. We need to learn to play without him and I think we can. I actually believe that Jones may be a liability in a properly structured team-defence because he often just rushes in off instinct.
I may be in the minority, but I think McGovern can fill that role. If he can't I'd be giving Silvagni a go before Young. And we also have Marchbank to come back at some point hopefully.
And we have a couple of years to get it right.

PS. I think there is substance to the concern that unvaccinated people carry greater risk of hospitalisation which takes up valuable resources. However a few points to note on that:
1) We have had a sever resourcing issue in our hospital/health system for years, well before COVID. This places slightly more strain on that system but, for example, if we have plunged $20m per day that we were spending on PCR testing and on govt subsidies for stopping the economy, we could have paid for a new hospital and staff (or two) by now.
2) We should be careful about making the case for treating people differently in our health system based on their choices... unless we are prepared to entertain other restrictions e.g. on fat people, smokers, drinkers, people who drive badly, drug users, people who don't exercise as much as others, people who eat poorly (and who would define that??)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

17th Premiership wrote:
2) We should be careful about making the case for treating people differently in our health system based on their choices... unless we are prepared to entertain other restrictions e.g. on fat people, smokers, drinkers, people who drive badly, drug users, people who don't exercise as much as others, people who eat poorly (and who would define that??)

We already do. If you have liver failure due to drinking alcohol, you are extremely unlikely to receive a liver transplant.
Replacement livers will go to people who suffer liver failure due to medical conditions etc. Conditions that are considered self inflicted go to the end of the queue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 pm 
Laurie Kerr

17th Premiership wrote:
Having said all that, I'm not so worried about Jones being missing. We need to learn to play without him and I think we can. I actually believe that Jones may be a liability in a properly structured team-defence because he often just rushes in off instinct.
I may be in the minority, but I think McGovern can fill that role. If he can't I'd be giving Silvagni a go before Young. And we also have Marchbank to come back at some point hopefully.

Yes jones had his moments, but i considered he was still learning and improving with time in the backline role. I agree with you that gov could fill the spot, but he needs to put on some kilos. Not sure about young or his prospects yet so cant comment there, but i would hate to have to put silvagni down there after hes shown us what he can do forward. Mind you, if his skills and influence are even greater down back then yes please! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am 
Bruce Doull

WCE may have a Liam Jones situation looming with Jack Darling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:43 am 
Bruce Doull

Novavax has now been approved. I wonder if this would have affected Liam's decision if it had happened earlier

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next