Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Did I misunderstand when Cook said, in his interview yesterday, that other clubs may find themselves in a similar boat and perhaps the AFL is waiting to understand numbers before deciding anything...?

I took what he said to mean that the AFL is reluctant to give us anything because it will create an unwanted precedent for when this situation arises again.

Same.

From the AFL perspective, the ‘situation’ isn’t limited to covid and vaccinations, rather every retirement that’s lodged after the deadline.

Liam announced his retirement after the 2pm deadline on Wednesday 10th. I suppose that means we can only fill that spot during the SSP beginning in January?… or worse, the mid-season draft.

You mean, like they don’t want to treat every salary cap breach the same because it may cause a precedent that they can’t change later?

Or they don’t want to award priority picks because it may cause a precedent that they can’t change later?

I don’t think so, the AFL pick and choose all the time, it’s all “makey-uppey”.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

Drewgirl wrote:
Nice position Liam put us in..just shows the culture we have. could have at least done it before.

You’re convinced it’s his doing, despite the story breaking well before the lodgement date?

The club had ample time to orchestrate an outcome that didn’t leave them stood in the open, holding their collective dicks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

Crusader wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:
Nice position Liam put us in..just shows the culture we have. could have at least done it before.

You’re convinced it’s his doing, despite the story breaking well before the lodgement date?

The club had ample time to orchestrate an outcome that didn’t leave them stood in the open, holding their collective dicks.

What outcome were they going to orchestrate? Liam is a confirmed anti-vaxxer. He's given up a whole career over it. Nothing was changing his mind for a desired outcome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

What outcome were they going to orchestrate? Liam is a confirmed anti-vaxxer. He's given up a whole career over it. Nothing was changing his mind for a desired outcome.

Anti Vaxer ? reckon if he was 21 he wouldn't be an anti vaxer . climbin ' on the bandwagon .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

jim wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:

If the club had arranged his retirement (since his mind was made up) before the 2pm deadline, we could fill his spot in either the national draft or rookie draft.

They didn’t, so they can’t fill the spot until the supplemental selection period opens in January.

When the club said they were working with the AFL re replacement options, they were asking for leniency of roughly 48 hours that would allow us to draft a player.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:35 am 
Rod Ashman

sinbagger wrote:
Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Did I misunderstand when Cook said, in his interview yesterday, that other clubs may find themselves in a similar boat and perhaps the AFL is waiting to understand numbers before deciding anything...?

I took what he said to mean that the AFL is reluctant to give us anything because it will create an unwanted precedent for when this situation arises again.

Same.

From the AFL perspective, the ‘situation’ isn’t limited to covid and vaccinations, rather every retirement that’s lodged after the deadline.

Liam announced his retirement after the 2pm deadline on Wednesday 10th. I suppose that means we can only fill that spot during the SSP beginning in January?… or worse, the mid-season draft.

You mean, like they don’t want to treat every salary cap breach the same because it may cause a precedent that they can’t change later?

Or they don’t want to award priority picks because it may cause a precedent that they can’t change later?

Agree. Cola "makey-uppey".

Financial support Hawthorn got by playing matches in Tasmania "makey-uppey."

If Carlton ever get to challenge for the title again it will be the biggest underdog story in the history of the game - or one of them. What this club has been through ...the mind boggles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:06 am 
Craig Bradley

tap in 79 wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Same.

Agree. Cola "makey-uppey".

Financial support Hawthorn got by playing matches in Tasmania "makey-uppey."

If Carlton ever get to challenge for the title again it will be the biggest underdog story in the history of the game - or one of them. What this club has been through ...the mind boggles.

Leicester City says hi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

I like the idea of Weitering Young & McGovern working together down back. Who they play on depends on match ups.

We then have Docherty Newman Saad Williams Williamson Plowman all fighting for running spots. It's a very good defence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:06 pm 
John Nicholls

FarmerBlue wrote:
I like the idea of Weitering Young & McGovern working together down back. Who they play on depends on match ups.

We then have Docherty Newman Saad Williams Williamson Plowman all fighting for running spots. It's a very good defence

Is it? I mean you've switched Jones for Young/McGovern. Otherwise the defense is the same as last year. How many goals they leak?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:45 am 
Rod Ashman

He meant it is a very good defence on paper.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:19 am 
Harry Vallence

robertbb wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:

Is it? I mean you've switched Jones for Young/McGovern. Otherwise the defense is the same as last year. How many goals they leak?

I reckon it was more about team defence and lack of midfield pressure we leaked so many goals last season. I like what we have if we have a decent game plan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

Agree our lack of midfield pressure has been notable, Tim Clarke has it all ahead of him, the most important assignment to revive the position on the park.
Obviously Hewett & Cerra are massive additions, brining depth and skill, which was much needed.
Now the trick is to get Cripps back closer to his better form, all the other midfielders are raring to go.
Clarke is pivotal, has the credentials & capabilities as midfield coach, All other positions on field will function better too. Go Baggers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bmaurizio wrote:
Agree our lack of midfield pressure has been notable, Tim Clarke has it all ahead of him, the most important assignment to revive the position on the park.
Obviously Hewett & Cerra are massive additions, brining depth and skill, which was much needed.
Now the trick is to get Cripps back closer to his better form, all the other midfielders are raring to go.
Clarke is pivotal, has the credentials & capabilities as midfield coach, All other positions on field will function better too. Go Baggers

Great post. :clap:

Depth and skill are a given.

System and cohesion is the challenge for Clarke.

Improve the midfield group and we improve the team instantly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:28 am 
Rod McGregor

A three tall backline is an absolute must next year. Plowman is not one of these, he should play on most dangerous goal kicking small every week. Weitering is a lock, then we need to pick the best intercept market and the best agile tall. Weitering isn't a great runner and wouldn't be able to play on the running / jumping forwards like Jeremy Cameron etc.
Lachie Young could be the best option to play on tall athletes.
Kemp, McGovern and Marchbank would be competing for the intercept position.
Id like to see one of them develop into a genuine defender though, rather than just wanted to intercept. McGovern could be a brilliant defensive match up for Heeney, Liam Ryan, De Goey etc. the mid sized marking players who are good above head have given us massive headaches for years. He has the speed and aerial ability to mould into the Dylan grimes defender who can play big and small and would love to see him become a truely accountable defender.

Leaves it something like this....

Plowman Weitering McGovern
Saad Young Williams

With Newman or Kemp selected as the 7th defender, possibly docherty at some stage allowing Williams midfield too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Judd one son wrote:
A three tall backline is an absolute must next year. Plowman is not one of these, he should play on most dangerous goal kicking small every week. Weitering is a lock, then we need to pick the best intercept market and the best agile tall. Weitering isn't a great runner and wouldn't be able to play on the running / jumping forwards like Jeremy Cameron etc.
Id like to see one of them develop into a genuine defender though, rather than just wanted to intercept. McGovern could be a brilliant defensive match up for Heeney, Liam Ryan, De Goey etc. the mid sized marking players who are good above head have given us massive headaches for years. He has the speed and aerial ability to mould into the Dylan grimes defender who can play big and small and would love to see him become a truely accountable defender.

Saad Young Williams

With Newman or Kemp selected as the 7th defender, possibly docherty at some stage allowing Williams midfield too.

I'm a fan of 3 tall defenders, and 2 ruckmen in a GF, so I think that should be the practise throughout the H & A.

Agree Weiters is a lock, and given that height and mobility we need (similar to jones), the height, mobility and good development at the Bulldogs, by default Lewis Young is the other 200cm tall. Is so similar to Jones and spooky how he comes from the Doggies too. Is this the first sign of the great things to come in 2022?

I'd love for McGovern to be good enough to play that role on the medium forward, and never want to see Plowman with that type of match up if it can be avoided. But. McGovern has to earn that spot.

IF Marchbank is fit, he's the list's best natural class intercept mark (Lever like), and therefore 3rd tall IMO.

So I'd have Marchbank pencilled in before I pencil in McGovern because both have question marks on their fitness, and McGovern has a lot of other question marks.

Plowman on the smalls is not a given as some argue. He's had good days against class smalls his fans will highlight ad nauseum, despite far and few for a long time, but he's also had some shockers against the smalls. IMO, with Doc returning, and he's got Dec, Jan, Feb and March to get fit for round 1, I can't see him missing, and would prefer him to lockdown on a small, and direct the backline.

I even have Kemp ahead of Plowman and McGovern based on what I've seen. He's quick and a good mark, and brings good aggression and can play multi positions. Lets remember that the coach looks like he's trying to find a spot for Gov, and throwing out the challenge for a spot that seems is not Plowman's anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:55 am 
Rod McGregor

bondiblue wrote:
Judd one son wrote:

Saad Young Williams

I'm a fan of 3 tall defenders, and 2 ruckmen in a GF, so I think that should be the practise throughout the H & A.

Agree Weiters is a lock, and given that height and mobility we need (similar to jones), the height, mobility and good development at the Bulldogs, by default Lewis Young is the other 200cm tall. Is so similar to Jones and spooky how he comes from the Doggies too. Is this the first sign of the great things to come in 2022?

I'd love for McGovern to be good enough to play that role on the medium forward, and never want to see Plowman with that type of match up if it can be avoided. But. McGovern has to earn that spot.

IF Marchbank is fit, he's the list's best natural class intercept mark (Lever like), and therefore 3rd tall IMO.

So I'd have Marchbank pencilled in before I pencil in McGovern because both have question marks on their fitness, and McGovern has a lot of other question marks.

Plowman on the smalls is not a given as some argue. He's had good days against class smalls his fans will highlight ad nauseum, despite far and few for a long time, but he's also had some shockers against the smalls. IMO, with Doc returning, and he's got Dec, Jan, Feb and March to get fit for round 1, I can't see him missing, and would prefer him to lockdown on a small, and direct the backline.

I even have Kemp ahead of Plowman and McGovern based on what I've seen. He's quick and a good mark, and brings good aggression and can play multi positions. Lets remember that the coach looks like he's trying to find a spot for Gov, and throwing out the challenge for a spot that seems is not Plowman's anymore.

Perhaps Kemp's point of difference would be being able to play smaller? Don't see a whole lot separating Kemp, McGovern and Marchbank at the moment. Suggest only one could play.

We need to remember with Young though, that he was behind a couple of average defenders in Gardiner & Cordy at the bulldogs. He'd need to improve quite considerably to become automatic at Carlton. Wonder whether any of the other three can develop into a true genuine tall and play on a Riewoldt or Cameron as is required against a two pronged attack?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

We will know the answer to all our questions tomorrow night when CFC draft a true KP or a mid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:15 pm 
formerly Fevola

Teddy - you have faith. We never draft a true player of position and end up playing them there.

What I think, is we draft a skinny project with potential that will play back or forward. And then doesnt know what his true position is in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

Drewgirl wrote:
Teddy - you have faith. We never draft a true player of position and end up playing them there.

What I think, is we draft a skinny project with potential that will play back or forward. And then doesnt know what his true position is in the end.

Never said I had faith. Said we'll see what CFCs intentions are. Based on history you are probably right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Judd one son wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Judd one son wrote:

Saad Young Williams

Perhaps Kemp's point of difference would be being able to play smaller? Don't see a whole lot separating Kemp, McGovern and Marchbank at the moment. Suggest only one could play.

We need to remember with Young though, that he was behind a couple of average defenders in Gardiner & Cordy at the bulldogs. He'd need to improve quite considerably to become automatic at Carlton. Wonder whether any of the other three can develop into a true genuine tall and play on a Riewoldt or Cameron as is required against a two pronged attack?

Kemp is a very versatile player. Like Cripps he's 195cm KP size midfielder. Already has a big body and much taller than Gov, 5cm, and a couple cms taller than Marchbank. The difference is, if Kemp can put on a bit more muscle/ strength, and he's entering his 3rd preseason (on his upper body at least), he can play KP.

As for the 3rd tall for me the order of preference is Marchbank Kemp Gov Parks. I'd also have Kemp as the 7th defender over Plowman, Newman and williamson not just for his JSOS like versatlity but for his athletic attributes.

I think Kemp could play on smalls; he's quite mobile and nimble for 195cms, imo, moreso than Plowman. But I'd prefer Doc to take care of a small forward any day of the week before kemp and Plowman, now that he wont be exposed by Teague's weak defensive game plan.

The thing about Lewis is despite being 3rd Kahuna behind what you refer to as "average defenders in Gardiner & Cordy at the bulldogs", but I don't agree with. Beveridge didnt gift games easily AND preferred a shorter more attacking defenders. Doesn't mean Young wasnt good enough. Have a look back at the game he gave Charlie and absolute bath to see whether this kid has got it or not.

I agree Young is not proven/ cemented himself as a KPD yet: he's only 22yo. But as far as a tall KPD who else have we got? Hence my reference to mim as the "default" selection. Therefore, and its only my thinking, KPD is his to lose imo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next