Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

We have cover. I’ll even remove Weitering from the illustration to prove we have players on the list to cover the holes. Not saying it’s an ideal situation or we would be over confident they can do the job week in week out but that’s up to the coaches to develop them and the game plan to defend as a team.

Plowman Young Macdonald
Kemp Marchbank Parks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Crusader wrote:
The only way to replace a player like Jones, at this time of the year, is through the draft and just accept that it’s going to take time.

I'm not really across the draft this year but have heard it's very light on for tall KPD.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
Crusader wrote:
The only way to replace a player like Jones, at this time of the year, is through the draft and just accept that it’s going to take time.

I'm not really across the draft this year but have heard it's very light on for tall KPD.

Lucky for us, we’re only looking for one.

Most of the draft class have only played a dozen games and the gestation period for bigs is a good 12-24 months longer than the rest. How would anyone know what they’re looking at?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hope that's the case Crusader

Or failing that, we could always dial it back to the early 2000s & draft a 190 & just 'predict that he'll grow' :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

SurreyBlue wrote:
We have cover. I’ll even remove Weitering from the illustration to prove we have players on the list to cover the holes. Not saying it’s an ideal situation or we would be over confident they can do the job week in week out but that’s up to the coaches to develop them and the game plan to defend as a team.

Plowman Young Macdonald
Kemp Marchbank Parks

You left out Williamson who I don't think is up to it anyway.

In your 6 Young was let go by the Doggies who have a lack of KPD. Marchbank is neither tall enough or can get on the field.

Sorry SB, I can see holes because of the Jones dilemma.

Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

Maybe we don't have to replace Jones by convincing him to have the vaccine. Thanks to the genius of Monty Python.

Get a neurotic little "lady" dressed in ancient middle eastern gear and with a high pitched scream.

YOU ARE JUST A NAUGHTY BOY!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
Hope that's the case Crusader

Or failing that, we could always dial it back to the early 2000s & draft a 190 & just 'predict that he'll grow' :grin:

The ol’ Kris Massie strategy.

Maybe we could tweak it just a wee bit & draft one that’s already big & can run a bit. Then try & teach him how to play footy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
In your 6 Young was let go by the Doggies who have a lack of KPD.

They offered him a contract so they obviously rated him

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:19 am 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
What’s Kristian Jaksch doing these days?

:yikes:

Luke Livingston , he might be ready now !!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:19 am 
Rod McGregor

We need to remember Young wasn't selected in the Dogs defence as he was behind Cordy and Gardiner, who are both underwhelming. He will need to improve if he's going to be a genuine defender in the AFL.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:30 am 
Ken Hunter

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Plowman Young Macdonald
Kemp Marchbank Parks

You left out Williamson who I don't think is up to it anyway.

In your 6 Young was let go by the Doggies who have a lack of KPD. Marchbank is neither tall enough or can get on the field.

Sorry SB, I can see holes because of the Jones dilemma.

Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am wrong.

Don’t be sorry, I have no problem with people disagreeing, as long as it’s done in a respectful manner and you my friend do that. :thumbsup:

My illustration above is about KP list management with a focus in this area. I feel we have this area covered off. You must remember, no side has 2 Weitering’s and Jones’s on the list.

As for Williamson, I don’t see him having qualities to classify as being a KP defender, hence why left him out. All others can and currently do play tall. Plowman as well can be debated on this point.

I feel going into 2022, every position on our list has good coverage, except for a genuine developing KP forward. Do this exercise with McKay and Charlie out. Also, hope to see maybe a Boyd played as shutdown small defender, as this is the other position I would be a little concerned about.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:38 am 
Harry Vallence

Young & Macdonald are ok for the crash and bash work , disrupting supply to the giant forwards, once accomplished there’s plenty of talent to sweep the ball away .
Our general is Weitering assisted by Gov. and Marchy if we’re fortunate ,then Saad, Williams & Newman do the rest with speed and class. Can’t see major problems, will take at least 1st half season to adjust and recalibrate defense certainly, but can be done.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:17 pm 
Rod McGregor

bmaurizio wrote:
Young & Macdonald are ok for the crash and bash work , disrupting supply to the giant forwards, once accomplished there’s plenty of talent to sweep the ball away .
Our general is Weitering assisted by Gov. and Marchy if we’re fortunate ,then Saad, Williams & Newman do the rest with speed and class. Can’t see major problems, will take at least 1st half season to adjust and recalibrate defense certainly, but can be done.

We need someone with some running ability, particularly closing speed. Weitering is an unbelievable defender but he is a pretty poor runner. Need someone able to go with the blokes who are fast and mobile. McGovern and McDonald are the two who come to mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:28 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bmaurizio wrote:

Fortunately with having a new coaching team, we'll be resetting our entire game plan rather than modifying what we had.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rumour that the Jones boy has retired

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Rumour that the Jones boy has retired

Not just a rumour. He has unfortunately.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/10306 ... e_Y1ZRhIX4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jones announces his retirement

Defender Liam Jones announces retirement effective immediately.
By Carlton Media - Just now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

Lewis Young surely or Oscar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:14 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

God help us if we leak goals and lose more games than we should early in the season…

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sad news :cry:

I felt he would only improve as the years went on, and he only needed to tidy up a couple parets of his game.

With the options this year for the intercept mark in the backline with the addition of 200cm Young, the return of Marchbank for the same, the growth of Kemp, and the possibility of McGovern, I felt jones will be able to focus on his one on one task and help team mates in a more measured way.

Not to be.

What we will miss is jones' ability to play on the No1 or No. 2 KPF regardless of size. Now the No.1 KPF is Weiterings.

I hope Young can develop some upper body strength to hold the 2nd biggest KPF, and do Jonesy proud, and Marchbank returns healthy and fit to return to his intercepting best.

We do have options, and another selection in the Draft....I'm expecting a pick swaps or two to target another KPF if its true Austin was looking at a goal kicking mid at pick 25, or keogh can give Austin some insight of a bonafide KPF in the WAFL or SAFL there for the taking.

I'm also expecting Voss to be more focissed on team defense and leave the KPF's as vulnerable as Teague's plan did.

Good Luck Liam. Ridiculous decision, but I respect it ... but don't go into the outback with that bloody disease when you catch it, because not all indigenous people are vaccinated out there either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next