Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:15 am 
Geoff Southby

Also thought Brett Backwell delisting was a bit strange. Got some brown low votes and seemed to have the excitement factor about him. Perhaps Hamill didn't rate him, ha ha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:33 am 
Ken Hunter

TBWKTM wrote:
Karl Norman, along with Laurie Angwin- the enfant terrible twins......such a shame, really :sad: :sad:

Mrs Caz and I were at a training session back in 2004 when Angwin had arrived. Training had basically finished and he was mucking around having shots on goal. He was sailing torps through from 60 metres out post high. I was in awe watching him. Like a young colt having fun.

He then swapped into the goal square with 5 or 6 others. He literally stood on the heads of his team mates to take 3 massive hangers. I'm pretty sure one was over the top of Digby Morrell. He hung in the air for an eternity, took the mark, landed on his feet and took off before hitting a player lace out on the lead 50 meets away.

Prodigious talent, sadly with a head full of demons.

I spoke to his dad at length one training session. You could tell he was always anxious about where Laurie's head was at.

Mrs Caz and I sat next to Karl at a CFC jumper presentation function one year. 2 hours we chatted. A week later we said hello to him at training. Didn't remember who we were.

People do say I am instantly forgettable :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:42 am 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:
Ian Aiken, ha ha. Murray Vance after a similar clarkson type incident

Vance had his jaw broken by Clive Waterhouse in an Ansett Cup game at Waverley. You’re right, he never kicked on from that point after showing some early promise.

Massie was another high draft pick who didn’t deliver on his promise. He went on to do OK at the Crows but his career never reached the expected heights.

I was bemused when we traded Massie. He looked like he was just blossoming in 2001 I think it was

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:43 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Tony Southcombe
Tony Pickett
Mark Porter
Good call on Porter. He played a blinder at Prince's Park against North one year. Maybe not on the stats sheet but taps to advantage.... Very bloody good.

Never quite there.

His debut against Essendon**** in 97 was a blinder also.

"hey google... What is a blinder? "

Yeah he had one of the first taps of the game that went straight down ratten's (I think) throat
Bradley's. For a trademark running goal.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk
Steel trap CK, steel trap :lol:

https://youtu.be/cUNEk_Gc33M

5m02s

Ratten kicked the first goal. Braddles kicked the 65m bomb.

Never doubted you.

Last edited by bluehammer on Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:51 am 
Bruce Doull

One bounce & a goal. Loved Braddles!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:11 am 
Geoff Southby

Lowey_47 wrote:
Also thought Brett Backwell delisting was a bit strange. Got some brown low votes and seemed to have the excitement factor about him. Perhaps Hamill didn't rate him, ha ha

Backwell won the Liston Trophy in 2001…and we delisted him at the end of that season! We didn’t exactly have young talent to burn at that stage, so I agree it was a slightly strange one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:

Vance had his jaw broken by Clive Waterhouse in an Ansett Cup game at Waverley. You’re right, he never kicked on from that point after showing some early promise.

Massie was another high draft pick who didn’t deliver on his promise. He went on to do OK at the Crows but his career never reached the expected heights.

I was bemused when we traded Massie. He looked like he was just blossoming in 2001 I think it was

Same here. Was originally drafted to play CHB off memory. One of the cohorts of 188cm players we drafted who were projected to grow into KP height and never did.
Played some good footy for us though alternating between HB, wing and HF. Would have liked to have kept but at end of the day, we wouldn't have been that much a better side had we kept him. Just meant we wouldn't have had someone as useless as Eccles taking up a spot on our list.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:43 am 
Robert Walls

I’m going to add Andrew Cavedon. Looked capable of the spectacular at times. They were probably fleeting glimpses, but for a mobile player at that height he seemed full of potential.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:

Same here. Was originally drafted to play CHB off memory. One of the cohorts of 188cm players we drafted who were projected to grow into KP height and never did.
Played some good footy for us though alternating between HB, wing and HF. Would have liked to have kept but at end of the day, we wouldn't have been that much a better side had we kept him. Just meant we wouldn't have had someone as useless as Eccles taking up a spot on our list.

Yeah, I think if Massie had stayed he would have been just another undersized ‘tall’ defender in 2002-2003 (along with Livo, T-Bird & Beaumont). Having said that, it was a bit of a head scratcher that we traded him for Eccles who was injury prone and had little upside.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

The_Cranium wrote:
Oh that Angwin goal was something else.

Does anyone know if there is footage of that Angwin goal? I’ve been hearing about it for years but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yes terrible trade by Parko the Massie one
He didn’t rate him apparently

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:11 pm 
Geoff Southby

frank dardew wrote:
Yes terrible trade by Parko the Massie one
He didn’t rate him apparently

Parko was gone by that stage Frank. Brits took over at the end of 2000 and Massie was traded end of 2001.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sorry ANBNS must have got my wires crossed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:44 pm 
Wayne Johnston

aboynamedsue wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:

Does anyone know if there is footage of that Angwin goal? I’ve been hearing about it for years but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.

I remember seeing it on the replay at that time, so it must have been recorded somewhere…..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:56 pm 
Robert Walls

At my age I've seen a few who had almost what it took:
[1] Ciaran Byrne: This guys had just about everything. He'd still be playing if he hadn't got homesick. His ACL didn't help him, but he looked so promising. His athleticism was fantastic, but he broke very easily.
[2] Ciaran Sheehan: This bloke was the reason Tuohey ended up being traded. Sheehan had pace and a huge left leg. But injury ruined him before we could see much of it. Another who broke far too easily.
[3] Bill Martin: Only old timers will remember this kid. He came up through the U19's when they were strong, but it didn't take long to get him into the 2nds. He took some huge marks in the two's before breaking his leg. When he came back he had lost the pace to get to the contest and didn't have any faith in his leap. Retired not long after.
[4] Adrian Whitehead: Back pocket in 1995, his foot injury stopped him being a 200+ game player. He would have been a very solid player for us in the early 2000's had he survived.
[5] Alex Silvagni: His injury ruined an excellent defender who was only finding his straps in our guernsey.
[6] Trent Hoppner: This lad was the best schoolboy footballer going around, but not once did he take to the field uninjured. He was injured when we drafted him and struggled to get close to fitness.
[7] Nick Duigan: As a mature pick he was a beauty, but his knees failed to handle things. We lost a real leader when his knees dropped off.
[8] Brian Kekovich: he looked like he was the answer to our forward problems, but injury ruined him, just as it ruined his replacement, Greg Kennedy a couple of years later.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

This was the game

https://www.blueseum.org/Round+15%2C+2003

but I can't find anything on youtube. I'll ask Jarusa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
This was the game

https://www.blueseum.org/Round+15%2C+2003

but I can't find anything on youtube. I'll ask Jarusa

:thanks:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

beowulf wrote:
At my age I've seen a few who had almost what it took:
[1] Ciaran Byrne: This guys had just about everything. He'd still be playing if he hadn't got homesick. His ACL didn't help him, but he looked so promising. His athleticism was fantastic, but he broke very easily.
[2] Ciaran Sheehan: This bloke was the reason Tuohey ended up being traded. Sheehan had pace and a huge left leg. But injury ruined him before we could see much of it. Another who broke far too easily.
[3] Bill Martin: Only old timers will remember this kid. He came up through the U19's when they were strong, but it didn't take long to get him into the 2nds. He took some huge marks in the two's before breaking his leg. When he came back he had lost the pace to get to the contest and didn't have any faith in his leap. Retired not long after.
[4] Adrian Whitehead: Back pocket in 1995, his foot injury stopped him being a 200+ game player. He would have been a very solid player for us in the early 2000's had he survived.
[5] Alex Silvagni: His injury ruined an excellent defender who was only finding his straps in our guernsey.
[6] Trent Hoppner: This lad was the best schoolboy footballer going around, but not once did he take to the field uninjured. He was injured when we drafted him and struggled to get close to fitness.
[7] Nick Duigan: As a mature pick he was a beauty, but his knees failed to handle things. We lost a real leader when his knees dropped off.
[8] Brian Kekovich: he looked like he was the answer to our forward problems, but injury ruined him, just as it ruined his replacement, Greg Kennedy a couple of years later.

Some solid nominations there beowulf. I’ll confess that I wasn’t familiar with Bill Martin until I looked him up on the Blueseum - https://www.blueseum.org/Bill+Martin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:18 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Jamie Dunlop was enjoyable watching in the 2s

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:26 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aboynamedsue wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:

I can't find anything though I feel like I saw it somewhere not all that long ago. It wasn't so much that it was anything spectacular for a goal of the year contender, it was that he made it look so easy for a guy that was 200 CM. Baulked a player without even thinking about it and slotted it on the run. I remember thinking at the time, it's an elite talent that does that so easily.

Think of that footage of a young kouta plucking it one handed and slotting it on the run. Wasn't the spectacle of the goal as a little moment that made you take notice and think this kid has something special.

I got the same feeling watching Kemp do the blind turn in the middle of the ground and put the foot down before he fluffed the kick. Just a small moment in the scheme of the game that made you smile because that's not something you see from a kid in their 3rd or 4th game.
Laurie's goal was one of those moments but alas it wasn't to be. Let's hope young Kemp was a glimpse into the not too distant future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next