Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Best 22
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:58 am 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Despite some rumblings from frustrated Carlton supporters and media headline seekers, our new recruit Zac Williams was only one of 3 players ranked as "elite" in their position by Champion Data.

Same can be said about Saad.

These 2 I'm expecting to rock the AFL world in 22.

Just goes to show how low the bar is for ‘general defenders’.

We want to move Williams into the midfield and, well, if Crippa is merely ‘average’…

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Vossy said

Quote:
"We still feel like, for the now, he's about playing across half-back and developing his skillset there. There's been no real further discussion outside of that. He's really clear on that. In fact, he's pretty keen to get stuck into it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/706135/blues-bullish-as-doc-eyes-incredible-early-season-return

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:23 pm 
Robert Walls

Heard Stocker now out for 10 with a cracked tibia

Is it true? Poor bugger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

london blue wrote:
Heard Stocker now out for 10 with a cracked tibia

Is it true? Poor bugger

Woah - have heard nothing on this (nor have any posters on BF as far as I can make out...
Where did you get the info LB?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Also heard Honey out for a month and H with shoulder issues …

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:26 pm 
Rod Ashman

From club posted today:
Stocker underwent surgery before Christmas following an ankle syndesmosis injury, which was a higher grade than that of teammate Walsh. He is currently in a strong running phase of his rehabilitation, which he is continuing to focus in. He won’t be available for the practice games, with his availability to play to be assessed again at the start of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

Re Harry
McKay has some joint soreness in his foot that is currently being managed. He won’t play against St Kilda this week, while he’s a chance to play against Melbourne next Thursday: however, the main focus is being ready for Round 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

If Charlie’s in then Harry is out.

That’s the rule yeah?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

GWS wrote:

That’s the rule yeah?

yep - they are actually the same person...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Midfield Coach Tim Clarke thinks Carroll is a beauty

Potentially a midfielder, or another putting his hand up for the wing role.

Quote:
Carlton assistant coach Tim Clarke has spoken highly about a pair of youngsters at the club.

Second year midfielder Jack Carroll has impressed at Princes Park, with Clarke confident we will see the 19-year-old at AFL level in 2022.

Carroll was the 41st pick in the 2020 National Draft and impressed in patches in the VFL last year as a tall, athletic, left-footed midfielder.

“He’s been super impressive. He just slipped into last year’s draft. I think he was the youngest kid in the draft, he could very much be in his first year,” Clarke told SEN WA’s The Run Home.

“It’s been terrific how he’s approached pre-season in his second year.

“He got injured and missed a week, but he would’ve played last week against the Saints, he’s in terrific form, he’s complimenting the other players through the midfield and forward really well.

“He’s a player that will definitely play senior footy this year if his body is fine and he’ll be a good player to watch in the future.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/03/03/the-uncapped-blues-teenager-who-will-play-senior-footy-in-2022/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:10 am 
Rod Ashman

Arnhem blues wrote:
GWS wrote:

That’s the rule yeah?

yep - they are actually the same person...

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
Cripps said with the arrival of Adam Cerra and George Hewett in particular the Blues were looking to build their own midfield in the mould of the great Brisbane midfield that Michael Voss had been involved in. Called the Fab Four, the Lions had three Brownlow medallists: Voss, Simon Black and Jason Akermanis, along with another elite player Nigel Lappin, who was the only one of the four to be All-Australian in each of the team’s premiership years.

“You talk about that talented midfield - that’s something we really want to create. He [Voss] played in a really great midfield and we feel like that’s something we want to build as a group as well,” Cripps said.

“We did a lot of work over the summer especially, adding George and Cerra in to combine with myself and Walshy, Matty Kennedy, Paddy Dow, the rucks, there’s a lot of different dynamics. Will Setterfield, there’s a lot of different dynamics.

“Look at the age demographics. We are at a really good age to build something for a long time.”

After a lean couple of seasons through injury and form, Cripps said he was determined to return to his best.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we-have-a-lot-of-different-weapons-cripps-bullish-about-blues-attack-20220309-p5a36e.html

The Fab Four under Voss at Carlton. :gift:

Dow gets a mention, Setterfield gets a mention. Hopefully LOB has his break out year too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:53 am 
Craig Bradley

I’m not totally confident in the McGovern experiment, but it seemed ok in the praccy match. So, until they figure him out, I’ve got him in a deeper defensive group.

As the side evolves, all going well, that group of nine can be trimmed back to seven or eight (Kemp in Gov’s spot & Newy gets the arse), with the balance being committed to transition and scoring.

Until then, I think this is the group:

Def: Weitering, McDonald, McGovern
Def/Mid: Saad, Stocker, Williams, Kemp, Docherty, Newman
Ruck: Pittonet
Mid: Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy, Dow
Fwd/Mid: Martin, Fogarty, Ed Curnow
Fwd: McKay, Charlie Curnow, Silvagni, Durdin

Post subject: 2022 Best 22
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:22 pm 
Wayne Johnston

It will be very revealing to see if we have a plan b for when sides inevitably shutdown Guv as a rebounding/intercept defender.

We may even see this as early as next Thursday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
I’m not totally confident in the McGovern experiment, but it seemed ok in the praccy match. So, until they figure him out, I’ve got him in a deeper defensive group.

As the side evolves, all going well, that group of nine can be trimmed back to seven or eight (Kemp in Gov’s spot & Newy gets the arse), with the balance being committed to transition and scoring.

By Group you mean Team, given there's 23 in your group.

In the "Group" of possibles, I'd add TDK, Owies, Setterfield with a good chance of selection.

I've got no idea how the MC view Plowman.

I can't see Fogarty in the "Group" let alone in the "Team". Very underwhelming in the practise games, seniors and reserves.
I don't think you'll see Stocker for a few weeks yet. Nothing to indicate he's even fit again or training with the team.
Hard to leave out Ed, but if he's not fit enough, as he hasn't been in the praccy games, he will be rested imo.

I am really suss on Jack's shoulder too. He tackled well vs Saints, but not against the Dees. Can't see him missing coz nothing has been mentioned of it, but if his shoulder isn't right he can't be expected to put his arm up to tap and crash into Nankervis. Just the smell of blood and Nankervis could do some more damage to him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
It will be very revealing to see if we have a plan b for when sides inevitably shutdown Guv as a rebounding/intercept defender.

We may even see this as early as next Thursday.

So true, but then there's also the obvious run we get out of the backline from Saad and Williams that would be viewed as "supply". That's why I'd love for Doc to play to give us 3 classy distributors and reliable players to mop up loose ball if Gov isn't given free reign by Hardwick.

Hardwick is know for backing his players and game plan as opposed to tagging or shut down roles.

If Hardwick was to shut down Gov, how and who would he use to do that? Balta? That's who I think Gov will go too.

Adding TDK to the mix would force Tiges to play to keep the 3 talls, Broad, Tarrant and Gibcus in the backline. They are not really tall defenders.

I think TDK would really stuff up all well intentioned plans by Hardwick.

So exciting to see footy again, and what I expect, the "Carlton Renaissance". Can't wait to fly down to Melb and watch the game live and fixated with another TC buddy.

We can beat these prix.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

In the "Group" of possibles, I'd add TDK, Owies, Setterfield with a good chance of selection.

I can't see Fogarty in the "Group" let alone in the "Team". Very underwhelming in the practise games, seniors and reserves.
I don't think you'll see Stocker for a few weeks yet. Nothing to indicate he's even fit again or training with the team.
Hard to leave out Ed, but if he's not fit enough, as he hasn't been in the praccy games, he will be rested imo.

I am really suss on Jack's shoulder too. He tackled well vs Saints, but not against the Dees. Can't see him missing coz nothing has been mentioned of it, but if his shoulder isn't right he can't be expected to put his arm up to tap and crash into Nankervis. Just the smell of blood and Nankervis could do some more damage to him.

I meant group, as in the group that makes up our best 23.

Obviously the likes of Stocker, Kemp, Docherty, Walsh & Ed have some question marks against their names this week. That’s a discussion for a different thread.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

I meant group, as in the group that makes up our best 23.

Obviously the likes of Stocker, Kemp, Docherty, Walsh & Ed have some question marks against their names this week. That’s a discussion for a different thread.

I tripped myself.
I was in the wrong thread. :oops:

I am an unabashed fan of Stocker, Kemp, Docherty, Walsh and Ed: all in my Best 22.
I really don't like cutting the 23rd-26th players out of my Best team, because player form fluctuates throughout the year, including from injury.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

My Best 22 for 2022 (before bounce of ball tomorrow)
Highlighted currently injured and out for round 1

B: Stocker Weitering Marchbank
HB: Williams McDonald Saad

R: Pittonet Hewett Walsh
C: Cerra Cripps Docherty

HF: Honey C.Curnow Martin
F: TDK McKay Durdin

IC: Kemp Kennedy Fisher Silvagni
23: Cuningham

EMERG: McGovern OBrien Setterfield Dow Philp

Happy for the 5 emergencies to replace those currently injured too.

My changes since the Draft:

Durdin has been the surprise packet over the preseason for me.
OBrien moved up the order
I've swapped Honey and Cuningham. Love the pace and strength of both.

Expect the emergence of Carroll, Philp and Motlop during 2022

Will be interesting to revisit this team at the end of the year after we play Finals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:51 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think generally the "best 22" teams do not have enough midfielders on the bench.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next