Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Best 22
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
My Best 22 for 2022 (before bounce of ball tomorrow)
Highlighted currently injured and out for round 1

B: Stocker Weitering Marchbank
HB: Williams McDonald Saad

R: Pittonet Hewett Walsh
C: Cerra Cripps Docherty

HF: Honey C.Curnow Martin
F: TDK McKay Durdin

IC: Kemp Kennedy Fisher Silvagni
23: Cuningham

EMERG: McGovern OBrien Setterfield Dow Philp

Happy for the 5 emergencies to replace those currently injured too.

My changes since the Draft:

Durdin has been the surprise packet over the preseason for me.
OBrien moved up the order
I've swapped Honey and Cuningham. Love the pace and strength of both.

Expect the emergence of Carroll, Philp and Motlop during 2022

Will be interesting to revisit this team at the end of the year after we play Finals.

A pretty good team Bondi.
I suspect Owies will come into calculation before Philp or Honey.
Depending on the opponent, there would be games where I would go with TDK and JSOS as the rucks. Just not against the brutal types (Nankervis)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:07 am 
Ken Hunter

Backs: Adam Saad - Jacob Weitering - Sam Docherty
Half-backs: Mitch McGovern - Oscar McDonald - Nic Newman
Centreline: Matthew Kennedy - Patrick Cripps - Lochie O'Brien
Half-forwards: Zac Fisher - Charlie Curnow - Lachie Fogarty
Forwards: Matthew Owies - Harry McKay - Jack Silvagni
Followers: Tom De Koning - Sam Walsh - George Hewett
Interchange: Corey Durdin - Marc Pittonet - Will Setterfield - Zac Williams

Emergencies: Lachie Plowman

They say the Premiership team is all about the bottom 6.

I was pondering our bottom 6 last night and who would replace them to make us better

Bottom 6
McDonald
O'Brien
Owies
Newman
Setterfield
Fogarty.

Replaced by
Marchbank/Young/Plowman
Cerra
Martin
Stocker/Kemp
Cunningham/Honey
Philip/Dow/Carroll

I love Ed Curnow but I think we must go past him now.

Owies and Durdin have been pretty good but I we just need abit more strength over the ball and in the air at this time. We need even more flexibility. Kennedy continues to raise the bar because he is so strong overhead and can pluck that high pressure mark when required. Kemp, Carroll, Honey and Stocker are in the same mold.

Is there anyone that thinks Harry and Charlie will last the entire 25 games? So we need Plan B for sure.

Nice to have some depth. :thumbsup:

Replace your bottom 6.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:21 am 
Harry Vallence

I have high hopes for Motlop Stocker Kemp Carroll to become Best 22 players by the end of the year. I'm hopeful Dow & Philp can reach their potential and Cuningham & Marchbank can make successful returns

I'm a fan of Mirkov as well so hopefully we will see some real depth develop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:43 am 
Rod Ashman

Cazzesman wrote:
Backs: Adam Saad - Jacob Weitering - Sam Docherty
Half-backs: Mitch McGovern - Oscar McDonald - Nic Newman
Centreline: Matthew Kennedy - Patrick Cripps - Lochie O'Brien
Half-forwards: Zac Fisher - Charlie Curnow - Lachie Fogarty
Forwards: Matthew Owies - Harry McKay - Jack Silvagni
Followers: Tom De Koning - Sam Walsh - George Hewett
Interchange: Corey Durdin - Marc Pittonet - Will Setterfield - Zac Williams

Emergencies: Lachie Plowman

They say the Premiership team is all about the bottom 6.

I was pondering our bottom 6 last night and who would replace them to make us better

Bottom 6
McDonald
O'Brien
Owies
Newman
Setterfield
Fogarty.

Replaced by
Marchbank/Young/Plowman
Cerra
Martin
Stocker/Kemp
Cunningham/Honey
Philip/Dow/Carroll

I love Ed Curnow but I think we must go past him now.

Owies and Durdin have been pretty good but I we just need abit more strength over the ball and in the air at this time. We need even more flexibility. Kennedy continues to raise the bar because he is so strong overhead and can pluck that high pressure mark when required. Kemp, Carroll, Honey and Stocker are in the same mold.

Is there anyone that thinks Harry and Charlie will last the entire 25 games? So we need Plan B for sure.

Nice to have some depth. :thumbsup:

Replace your bottom 6.

Regards Cazzesman

You have both our current wingers as bottom 6. With Cerra back, Walsh can play on one wing. I think that Setterfield has been playing OK, but apart from Cottrell and Newnes who else can play the wings. Cunningham and Dow can't. What is Philp, Carroll and Honey's endurance like?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Pittonet/ DeKoning in the ruck (yest 2 rucks) gives us a dynamic to overcome and confuse other ruck combos.

Cripps Hewett Kennedy did and do very well as the starting midfield group...plenty of big bodies and grunt

Cerra and Walsh as wings...a different type of wing role than that played by LOB and Setterfield.

Pressure on spots is amazing.

Post subject: 2022 Best 22
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:16 am 
Craig Bradley

Had to go a long way back to find this thread! Right back to the start of the season. I guess that means we’re going alright and have better things to talk about?

Anyway, I’m going to go out on a limb here but I’m convinced our best lineup does not include 2 ruckmen. I think we’re doing well enough in the ruck and what we gain by having an extra runner in the team is invaluable.

This is really dictated by the fact that we have Charlie, Harry, and JSOS up forward. Throw a resting ruckman in there and it’s way too top heavy IMO. Earlier in the year when we had this setup we saw teams score more heavily against us in shorter periods as they were able to waltz it out of defence too easily and transition to attack, ie the Hawthorn game.

Perhaps it’s horses for courses and will depend on the opposition ruck setup but generally I think we are far better balanced with an extra runner in the rotations and an extra mobile small-mid forward buzzing around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:23 am 
Geoff Southby

jake_h03 wrote:
Had to go a long way back to find this thread! Right back to the start of the season. I guess that means we’re going alright and have better things to talk about?

Anyway, I’m going to go out on a limb here but I’m convinced our best lineup does not include 2 ruckmen. I think we’re doing well enough in the ruck and what we gain by having an extra runner in the team is invaluable.

This is really dictated by the fact that we have Charlie, Harry, and JSOS up forward. Throw a resting ruckman in there and it’s way too top heavy IMO. Earlier in the year when we had this setup we saw teams score more heavily against us in shorter periods as they were able to waltz it out of defence too easily and transition to attack, ie the Hawthorn game.

Perhaps it’s horses for courses and will depend on the opposition ruck setup but generally I think we are far better balanced with an extra runner in the rotations and an extra mobile small-mid forward buzzing around

That makes sense Jake . However , history tells you Premiership sides more often than not have two big strong Ruckmen . The Shaun Grigg model is pretty rare .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:09 am 
Rod Ashman

I think we now have close to 30 players that are worthy of our best 22.
Go Blues! Onwards and upwards!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:40 am 
Harry Vallence

CFC8795 wrote:
I think we now have close to 30 players that are worthy of our best 22.
Go Blues! Onwards and upwards!

I always thought our players were badly developed under Teague. Voss seems to be getting the best out of our players and the youngers players are now improving and stepping up. Makes a massive difference. It’s not best 22 anymore it’s about form and competition for spots.

B: Boyd McDonald/Young Kemp/McGovern
HB: Williams/Docherty Weitering/Marchbank Saad/Newman
C: Cottrell/Setterfield Cripps/Kennedy O’Brien/Hayes
HF: Durdin/Fogarty McKay Fisher
F: Martin/Silvagni Charlie Owies/Motlop
Foll: TDK/Pittonet Hewett/Kennedy Cerra/Walsh
Int: Stocker Carroll Dow Honey Newman Newnes Ed Cuningham

We could choose any of these combinations/players and it would be best 22. Shows how important structure and culture is. First time in 25 years we could do that

Only weakness to me is having another Ruck and 1 or 2 KPPs on our list

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:00 am 
Craig Bradley

Mickstar wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

That makes sense Jake . However , history tells you Premiership sides more often than not have two big strong Ruckmen . The Shaun Grigg model is pretty rare .

I see where you’re coming from but the game is pretty much unrecognisable from 10 years ago so history beyond that has little relevance. The evolution of zoning and team defence has completely changed the game how it’s played

Also, Im not altogether against two ruckmen. I would be happy to go with two if we didn’t already have 3 talls in the forward line. Adding a 4th with a resting ruck is the dealbreaker for me. I’d rather another small at the feet of Charlie Harry and JSOS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

The two-ruck argument always boils down to how you deal with the interchange being capped at 75 rotations.

Dees make it work because Gawn, Langdon & Petracca play 90% game time. That’s at least a dozen rotations saved to fuel their pressure game.

Cripps has gone from 90% to low 80s. George is a bit less & Kennedy is at 70% on a good day… adding a second ruckman to that mix, another half a dozen rotations… any wonder we were gassed in the early rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
The two-ruck argument always boils down to how you deal with the interchange being capped at 75 rotations.

Dees make it work because Gawn, Langdon & Petracca play 90% game time. That’s at least a dozen rotations saved to fuel their pressure game.

Cripps has gone from 90% to low 80s. George is a bit less & Kennedy is at 70% on a good day… adding a second ruckman to that mix, another half a dozen rotations… any wonder we were gassed in the early rounds.

Maybe we are getting them through the middle fo the year on reduced time? What if we add Cerra and have an extra midfield rotation? Many ways we can balance it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:

Would you play one ruck in a Grand Final?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Absolutely. If we had Harry, Charlie, and JSOS forward I’d be terrified if we had both TDK and Pittonet in as well. As I said, give me the extra runner any day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:

Absolutely. If we had Harry, Charlie, and JSOS forward I’d be terrified if we had both TDK and Pittonet in as well. As I said, give me the extra runner any day

Cheers jake :thumbsup:

In that case, I'd think you'd have to have a ruck as the sub incase No 1 ruck went down.

An extra runner is an extra runner, and you'd hope the tap went our way for the runner to take advantage of that chain. Runners are important.

Walsh provides us with a 2 for 1 running machine, proving the value of a great runner. If Cottrell, LOB and Newnes make the senior team in Finals, or even 2 of them, we have players who can run all day. Weapon, no doubt.

I don't think its a fair fight in a potential Grand Final between Carlton vs Dees with Gawn and Jackson vs TDK and Jack, and I doubt it would happen.

There's no right or wrong from where we sit, we just have to wait to see what the MC does when 2 rucks are available.

I think the 2 rucks has always been here to stay and the trend has been to have a more mobile Forward - Ruck for the chop out, who is a big unit that can ruck. Pies started that trend back in 2010 with the big unit, Brown (ex North Player). I think we have that luxury with TDK and Pitto.

Anyone who thinks that Jack is a stay at home 3rd tall hasn't watched his running game when playing that position. He runs his guts out providing a mismatch in transition. You see Jack in defense at times. For those who think playing TDK is at the expense of Jack, I think that's wrong. Jack is in our best 22 for his heart, soul, and moreso his footy IQ.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
Crusader wrote:

Maybe we are getting them through the middle fo the year on reduced time? What if we add Cerra and have an extra midfield rotation? Many ways we can balance it

I have no doubt the players are improving their engines, and the peripheral players with engines are developing well. To add to that, it has been reported Vossy added more layers to the game plan to fix our turnover game deficiency in the early rounds, and this last game vs Freo, it looks to me we have the Will and the Game Plan to run out 4 quarters. If we continue with that trajectory, fitness and game plan will be our weapon in finals.

Maybe the load is being spread across the team because we have more talent to play roles ... Cottrell, LOB and Newnes have great engines and are playing good footy, so much so, they look like they belong at this level.

...and there's Cerra and Martin who will be returning unless their replacements have them covered.

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

There's a few players who have thrived under Voss this year.

I have no doubt my best 22 team before the season started will be different to my best team after we win the Flag....this year :wink:

Who has thrived and put their hand up for a spot in the Best 22:

Fisher, LOB, Cottrell, Boyd, Kennedy, Durdin Owies, McGovern

I would add Newman, Weitering and Young to that list too, due to Vossy's team defense.

How are we going to fit them all in? That's a great problem.

Cripps got his body right and Austin added Cerra and Hewett to carry the load.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

Best 22 heading into this years finals

B: Boyd Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Williams Cripps Hayes
HF: Walsh McKay Fisher
F: Silvagni Curnow Durdin
Foll: Pittonet Hewett Cerra
Int: Kennedy TDK Owies Newman (Cottrell/Martin)

This side could beat anyone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

Goodness me, I'm going to have to watch the last 10 minutes of the Eagles game, sounds like I missed the second coming.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:53 pm 
Wayne Johnston

FarmerBlue wrote:
Best 22 heading into this years finals

B: Boyd Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Williams Cripps Hayes
HF: Walsh McKay Fisher
F: Silvagni Curnow Durdin
Foll: Pittonet Hewett Cerra
Int: Kennedy TDK Owies Newman (Cottrell/Martin)

This side could beat anyone

There’s no way Williams has the tank to play wing, I’d prefer LOB to Williams in that position.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next