Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

I still have flash backs in my dreams and a touch of PTSD. :eek: :eek: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :lol: :lol:

Caz and I went to a function about a year after the CFC Black Friday. We were talking to a Board member who told me, at one stage the Club was so broke, they were about a week away from 'handing the keys back' to the AFL.

Scary days.

And I know the Club and Wayne Hughes copped so much flack back then, but he was basically a 1-man band doing his work on the smell of 1/2 an oily rag.

At the time, the power clubs had Recruiters/Watchers falling out of their backside, and Wayne had know-nothing, green as grass me, and a Septuagenarian to help him.

Not excuses, just facts.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:58 am 
Geoff Southby

I banged on for years in this site( I joined in 2005) about the club not being modern and stuck in the past
Elliott
Pratt
Mathieson
They were from era that was outdated a long time ago

You look at StKilda
Bassett and Lethlean sack a coach who has just been given a new contract for a guy whose last 4 years of his coaching career was disastrous
Now in the space of a year there is virtually a whole new bunch of staff
I can tell you categorically that Roughead left because he couldn’t stand Lyon
It’s his way or the highway
And that’s the approach Carlton had in its working makeup
It doesn’t work these days or for the last 20 years when the draft and salary cap finally took full effect

Don’t forget
Lyon nearly was our coach
But a collective group of people had to be unanimous in that decision
One person said no and the rest is history
Maybe the Saints might prove me wrong
But in the time Lyon has coached he hasn’t had a plan B
The Saints were the fourth lowest scoring team last year
If you break their defense their history
Lyon imo would be a poor choice of coach for any club
He is outdated
And of course he gets SOS in as a List Manager because their mates
You all know what I think of SOS
Wouldn’t know a good mid if he fell over them
That choice was made by one or two people
That was Carlton
Working together and having the right people at the top doesn’t guarantee you a flag but gives you a fighting chance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

IMO, thank God Lyon was not picked as our coach for a million reasons, but the key one is, Lyon felt "entitled" to us gifting him the role without a transparent, process driven approach.

I have to say, my heart stopped during the "horrific long stretch of losses last season". Rightly, it was viewed by most hardened supporters who have seen this soooo many times in our past history. It was like here we go again, right? We must change our coach AGAIN, right?

In retrospect, thank God the club held firm and gave Vossy the chance. They backed him. That was not without high risk given previous situations. Then the "streak" happened. One, two, three, four, five, six..... wins in a row and a prelim final from literally nowhere!

Of course, we should not sit on our laurels as a club and assume the path is set. But seriously Vossy and co, including perhaps getting the buy in back after that horror stretch from the playing group and the club as a whole, could not have done anything more.

I think he deserves the contract extension. IMO, He has done everything any reasonable person would think it justified.

IF that means waiting a little, then so be it, but I'm far more comfortable than ever, this club, its executive and its super on-board members and supporters, continue to ride the wave, and will not make stupid, non-considered, knee jerk decisions.

GO BLUES!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
IMO, thank God Lyon was not picked as our coach for a million reasons, but the key one is, Lyon felt "entitled" to us gifting him the role without a transparent, process driven approach.

I have to say, my heart stopped during the "horrific long stretch of losses last season". Rightly, it was viewed by most hardened supporters who have seen this soooo many times in our past history. It was like here we go again, right? We must change our coach AGAIN, right?

In retrospect, thank God the club held firm and gave Vossy the chance. They backed him. That was not without high risk given previous situations. Then the "streak" happened. One, two, three, four, five, six..... wins in a row and a prelim final from literally nowhere!

Of course, we should not sit on our laurels as a club and assume the path is set. But seriously Vossy and co, including perhaps getting the buy in back after that horror stretch from the playing group and the club as a whole, could not have done anything more.

I think he deserves the contract extension. IMO, He has done everything any reasonable person would think it justified.

IF that means waiting a little, then so be it, but I'm far more comfortable than ever, this club, its executive and its super on-board members and supporters, continue to ride the wave, and will not make stupid, non-considered, knee jerk decisions.

GO BLUES!

Like that a lot . Very good BRock .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:24 am 
John James

DocSherrin III wrote:
A two-year deal seems fine given that's what I think our premiership window is. If a flag isn't won before the end of 2026, start over.

no doubt this was one of the mid-season “hit the panic button” , “sack everyone” members of Blues last year.

who the flower knows what the window is. gréât new recruits and one of the youngest lists in the AFL. other clubs could be strengthening faster than us but honestly who knows?!

injury and player management has always been the wild card even in our premiership years threatened to derail us and other teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:27 am 
John James

kezza wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
What’s the rush?

He's out of contract end of the year isn't he?

This would create stability, avoid a media circus if we have another average start and at 2 years I think it strikes a healthy balance for each party.

55% win rate for Voss - best since Parkin. He's shown he can coach enough to warrant an extension.

Agree.
We have sacked too many coaches in recent years, need some stability.

no we’ve selected new coaches badly.

geriatric pagan was terrible for example. turned fev into a first class Wayne Cary of a tosser. a bad culture got worse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:16 am 
John James

Mickstar wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:

GO BLUES!

i’ll pat myself on the back for saying, mid season when we needed to win most of our remaining games to make finals, “season looks shot, very hard to make finals now, esp given lack of form”, “it’s got nothing to do with Voss, or Cripps, Blues are exceptionally lucky to have both of them”.

also said ‘for sure, try some new things, give more of the kids a run. rest young players who look exhausted and have waned from the early impact they showed’. (Motlop, Hollands come to mind).

also said keep important players for structure in the starting 22, even when we’d like to see them involved in more chains of possession leading to goal scored (H obviously who some nuffies wanted dropped every week when his confidence was shot, i said impose new kick selection rules on him, that’s it. Owies is the main one who comes to mind up forward, lots of blues i spoke to even during finals seemed to want him dropped every week, presumably in the hope or expectation that we’d discover a new 50 goal a year third marking forward option on our list, a very unrealistic hope mid season IMhO, and that’s definitely not how we play when were playing “our way” up forward.

i think Owies was super important for our transition play with his running and positioning, admitly he was less effective in heavy traffic last season as he has been in the past. i expect his role changes game to game. with Elijah Hollands, potentially the irish ☘️ and Jack Martin starting to find his slot in the forward puzzle in finals especially, pressure on the Carneys to get selected, and potentially some wing depth in Binns and others then things are looking very bright.

in the end club culture, players’ psychological maturity and humility — which Voss continually emphasises in interviews and we hear is emphasisied between the four walls of the club — is the most important thing to dévelop with a list as good as ours. it’s the edge we need over at least eight other very impressive player lists in the AFL. there’s also some very canny coaching teams managing those eight other lists. trust in the process and there’s no window at all, it comes down to good work and good karma (which again is about player maturity and even club offical maturity and ethics, which raises questions about Sayers past life in the big four consultancies who are well known by their own nonexecutive staff to be corrupt as sin, or read some of the many books like “When Mcakinsey Came to Town”)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

diesel95 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:

GO BLUES!

i’ll pat myself on the back for saying, mid season when we needed to win most of our remaining games to make finals, “season looks shot, very hard to make finals now, esp given lack of form”, “it’s got nothing to do with Voss, or Cripps, Blues are exceptionally lucky to have both of them”.

also said ‘for sure, try some new things, give more of the kids a run. rest young players who look exhausted and have waned from the early impact they showed’. (Motlop, Hollands come to mind).

also said keep important players for structure in the starting 22, even when we’d like to see them involved in more chains of possession leading to goal scored (H obviously who some nuffies wanted dropped every week when his confidence was shot, i said impose new kick selection rules on him, that’s it. Owies is the main one who comes to mind up forward, lots of blues i spoke to even during finals seemed to want him dropped every week, presumably in the hope or expectation that we’d discover a new 50 goal a year third marking forward option on our list, a very unrealistic hope mid season IMhO, and that’s definitely not how we play when were playing “our way” up forward.

i think Owies was super important for our transition play with his running and positioning, admitly he was less effective in heavy traffic last season as he has been in the past. i expect his role changes game to game. with Elijah Hollands, potentially the irish ☘️ and Jack Martin starting to find his slot in the forward puzzle in finals especially, pressure on the Carneys to get selected, and potentially some wing depth in Binns and others then things are looking very bright.

in the end club culture, players’ psychological maturity and humility — which Voss continually emphasises in interviews and we hear is emphasisied between the four walls of the club — is the most important thing to dévelop with a list as good as ours. it’s the edge we need over at least eight other very impressive player lists in the AFL. there’s also some very canny coaching teams managing those eight other lists. trust in the process and there’s no window at all, it comes down to good work and good karma (which again is about player maturity and even club offical maturity and ethics, which raises questions about Sayers past life in the big four consultancies who are well known by their own nonexecutive staff to be corrupt as sin, or read some of the many books like “When Mcakinsey Came to Town”)

Great post diesel

I do recall your comments too.

The highlighted bit is the reason we can get the edge over this week's favoutites at the Gabba, let alone over 15 of the 18 teams vying for the 4.

I hope we see that maturity and humility, and now belief in our game plan and in each other.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:58 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Certainly hope so, can't see us getting within 6 goals of Brisbane tomorrow night.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:
I still have flash backs in my dreams and a touch of PTSD. :eek: :eek: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :lol: :lol:

Caz and I went to a function about a year after the CFC Black Friday. We were talking to a Board member who told me, at one stage the Club was so broke, they were about a week away from 'handing the keys back' to the AFL.

Scary days.

And I know the Club and Wayne Hughes copped so much flack back then, but he was basically a 1-man band doing his work on the smell of 1/2 an oily rag.

At the time, the power clubs had Recruiters/Watchers falling out of their backside, and Wayne had know-nothing, green as grass me, and a Septuagenarian to help him.

Not excuses, just facts.

No excuses ? reckon as you were so terribly underfunded is a massive excuse Cazz . Dunno how you did it . And the " hand the keys back " story i heard from several well connected people myself and was scarily close to the mark . So thank the heavens we still have a Footy Club and lets not anyone of us ever take it for granted again . To be forwarned is to be forearmed .
Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AFL 2024: The transformation and secret sauce driving Carlton up the ladder
Quote:
“We look for roles that really stand out on the day,” Acres said.
“Cottrell gets to my man and frees me up – it’s so crucial for what we want to do behind the ball. We want to play a front-half game so it’s not always about getting to the footy, it’s about covering an exit to stop a team rebounding out the other side.
“George Hewett goes to the opposition’s best mid. The group looks at those things, acknowledges them and celebrates it heavily.
“(Adam) Cerra and Matt Owies find those clips and we watch them together and speak about it and get around those guys.”

Quote:
As Lloyd said this week: “The coaching staff and leadership group have put a real effort into a player-led environment. It’s gaining momentum. And they are so well resourced with Vossy and Ash in a senior leadership role with three assistants and (head of coaching and performance) Aaron Greaves. The club from the playing list to staff has been craving stability and we have been able to do that in the last few years.”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Great article Kouta.

I especially liked this part:

Quote:
When guys have a genuine care to elevate others around them, that’s when you are going to go places. This team is starting to grow into that,” he said.
“It comes from years of work. From growing relationships, from spending time together, from sharing the joys of the game. From being vulnerable. Those little acts that are so emotional and go so far towards winning a game, they come from a much deeper place. They have to be instinctual and they have to come from a place of care. The connection piece is where this team is growing and it can take them to some special places.”

The two bolded sections are the key areas this team has had significant improvement in.

Especially, the fact the group has blocked out the lazy attitude of just playing for themselves and there has been a focus to try and bring your team mates into the game rather than be selfish.

Id suggest that area had been prevalent for years and was one of the many reasons our Culture had been questioned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110