Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 110  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:43 am 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/828631/full-post-match-r23-blues?videoId=828631&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1661072697001&references=AFL_MATCH:3998

Nailed where we are at exactly.

Regards Cazzesman

Yeah , theres a man in charge of a room .

Voss also mentioned unpopular decisions to be made . Gonna be a very interesting that .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:29 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Happy with Voss as coach however I think we should have played Docherty on ball earlier in the season. It was only when our injury toll mounted the coaching staff was forced to try something different. Also I think blind Freddy can see that Setterfield can't play on the wing - he either plays in the guts or not at all.
A couple of learnings that came a bit too late in the season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

IIRC, Doc was getting high numbers, as in midfielder numbers, off half back early in the year.

Agree with you about setterfield

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
Voss has talked repeatedly about adding more layers to the game plan

Throughout the season, the Blues showed they could score from a dominant stoppage game and through cohesive ball movement, but losing five games in the final six matches showed it did not always stand up under pressure.

As David King showed on Fox Footy’s The First Crack, the Blues didn’t have a fat-side winger defending hard enough deep to allow Jacob Weitering to charge at Jamie Elliott.

They are small-margin wins that can save you games.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/wreck-it-ralph-where-carlton-went-wrong-and-what-it-needs-to-be-a-genuine-contender/news-story/7f316b2e2cecb6a3c01aef8af519b66d

Our wings failed us miserably: LOB, Setterfield, Newnes, Cottrell. Of all those 4 I'd stick with Cottrell, he has good endurance plus raw speed, but he needs to learn more about the craft of a wingman.

Maybe Cerra and Docherty wax a wing....or take one each? LOB and Cotts have engines, but we need more than just engines.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I hesitantly watched McRae interviewed on 360 last night....not all of it...I couldnt, but I did take note the situational game training drills the Pies conduct every week between their VFL and AFL players to end training. It adds a layer of fun but it also trains them on something a professional team will need one day.

He's a crafty one McRae. No surprise the Pies have won 11 games less than 7 points.

Michael Voss talks about adding layers to the game plan, and I hope he introduces situational game training because after the last 2 games its obvious we don't or, if Voss does, the players must be plain dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

Watch all clubs do that sort of training year and each game is won or lost in the last few minutes frenzy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

It's unsustainable and like everything in footy will be figured out and countered.

We need to come up with our own point of difference.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

Traveller86 wrote:
It's unsustainable and like everything in footy will be figured out and countered.

We need to come up with our own point of difference.

Yeah . Easy to run with the pack . Be in front of the pack .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:57 pm 
Wayne Johnston

So what is this Pies gameplan? Play crap til you are 4-5 goals down with 15mins left , then throw the gameplan out the window and take every risk in the book and then hope the opposition make a load of mistakes in the last few minutes like Ess*, Melb and Carlton? Seems to work ...although Horse was having none of it. The Cats will probably be too far in front. And Melbourne wont let it happen again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
I hesitantly watched McRae interviewed on 360 last night....not all of it...I couldnt, but I did take note the situational game training drills the Pies conduct every week between their VFL and AFL players to end training. It adds a layer of fun but it also trains them on something a professional team will need one day.

He's a crafty one McRae. No surprise the Pies have won 11 games less than 7 points.

Michael Voss talks about adding layers to the game plan, and I hope he introduces situational game training because after the last 2 games its obvious we don't or, if Voss does, the players must be plain dumb.

Bondi love your input here so thankyou. FWIW, I still contend that in addition to what you suggest (and other areas), a focus needs to be centered on fixing the clear mental fragility which has been shown in parts earlier this season, but certainly when we had critical games over the last few weeks, where we just simply had to win and could of despite stupid dumb decisions. What that entails, I think, is getting a psychologist or similar on the payroll, to provide the support they need to improve mentally, especially when the heat is on and/or when you are under pressure situations.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

club29 wrote:
So what is this Pies gameplan? Play crap til you are 4-5 goals down with 15mins left , then throw the gameplan out the window and take every risk in the book and then hope the opposition make a load of mistakes in the last few minutes like Ess*, Melb and Carlton? Seems to work ...although Horse was having none of it. The Cats will probably be too far in front. And Melbourne wont let it happen again.

It looks like you describe.
Full on defense then chaos.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Bondi love your input here so thankyou. FWIW, I still contend that in addition to what you suggest (and other areas), a focus needs to be centered on fixing the clear mental fragility which has been shown in parts earlier this season, but certainly when we had critical games over the last few weeks, where we just simply had to win and could of despite stupid dumb decisions. What that entails, I think, is getting a psychologist or similar on the payroll, to provide the support they need to improve mentally, especially when the heat is on and/or when you are under pressure situations.

Like Leading Teams?

We didn't start the season with 4 quarter efforts, and like last game we played 1 great quarter but one.
The good thing, is we did adjust, and a few times we played 3 or 4 quarter games and won: Swans & Freo

WE have to stay focussed for longer, and with a bit of mongrel: to play with hatred. :fight:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
club29 wrote:

Play on at all costs and hope your opponents shit the bed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:45 am 
Craig Bradley

Wojee wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
club29 wrote:

Play on at all costs and hope your opponents shit the bed.

Hardly revolutionary.

No real threat in the key posts, so push them up the ground. Turn the ball over & spread.

Bring Setanta & Jeffy out of retirement?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:32 am 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Like Leading Teams?

We didn't start the season with 4 quarter efforts, and like last game we played 1 great quarter but one.
The good thing, is we did adjust, and a few times we played 3 or 4 quarter games and won: Swans & Freo

WE have to stay focussed for longer, and with a bit of mongrel: to play with hatred. :fight:

Without doubt . Really like that last line Bondi , you are talking my language . Unfortunately i can see only two blokes ( Owies and Honey ) who have any real drop punt about them but there are questions marks about whether they are actually good enough . Sad state of affairs hey .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Like Leading Teams?

No nothing like Leading Teams :). In my view, the playing group has issues above the shoulders - their mental state and their ability to as you say "remain focused for longer et al". To me that suggests a professional (not sure exactly what - maybe a psychologist) is required to help out

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

This slingshot chaos, turn it over in the opposition F50 and run like hell breaking lines and chipping into the corridor while all your forward run and spread forward of the ball, seems to be the tactic that’s worked for them. That sense of belief they have now that this works gives them supreme confidence and makes opposition sides panic because they know Collingwood are coming at them. Struggled to do it against Sydney cramped on the small SCG and because a Sydney are hardened and never panic. Probably might struggle at Marvel

I don’t think more psychologists are the answer. All teams have a bucketload of well-being and mental health people.

I think situational drills done repetitively so that given scenario A we go to routine B Drill enough and even dumb players don’t have to rely on instinct. That’s why teams like Geelong whose players have played together for so many years have the edge. You can see from our game against them they just work together like clockwork. It was all so automatic.

Let’s just hope Collingwood go out in straight sets. cauliflower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

Richmond game plan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:31 am 
Rod Ashman

Collingwoods game plan didn't work for pretty well 3 quarters against us and won't work at all against Geelong and Sydney.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:05 pm 
Garry Crane

get him some help ,especially defense coach

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 110  Next