Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 110  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:26 am 
Bruce Doull

Welcome aboard Vossy!

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1019805

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:29 am 
Bruce Doull

Quote:
Dear Liam,

As a valued member, I am delighted to officially announce the appointment of Michael Voss as our new AFL Senior Coach.

With an extensive coaching career spanning 12 years across the Brisbane and Port Adelaide football clubs, and after a distinguished 15-year career as a player, I’m proud to let our members know that he has signed on to lead the Blues for at least the next three seasons.

Becoming our 35th AFL Senior Coach, Michael steps into the role after a thorough selection process driven by our new Director of Football Greg Williams, alongside fellow Directors Tim Lincoln and Patty Kinnersly, three-time premiership coach David Parkin and Head of Football Brad Lloyd.

This appointment marks a significant moment in the path forward for our football club.

We couldn’t be happier as a Board and a football club to officially announce Michael as our AFL Senior Coach.

After a thorough and considered selection process, Michael’s credentials and vast experience in football made him the right person for the job.

Of the short-listed candidates whittled down from an early list of more than ten potentials for the role, Michael has been deemed the best fit for Carlton by our club’s coaching subcommittee and newly appointed CEO Brian Cook, who consulted with the panel and took part in the final interview stages of the process.

The final four candidates presented and interviewed extremely well, each demonstrating strong game plan and strategic knowledge with an emphasis on offence, defence, contest, pressure and structure.

Michael demonstrated a strong understanding of the key fundamental requirements for Carlton right now: inspirational and accountable leadership, driver of a united and ambitious culture, builder of trusting and collaborative relationships and a deep and genuine desire to deliver strong on-field performance.

With Michael, we are getting someone who knows exactly what it takes to achieve high performance — which is consistently winning games of football, to provide the opportunity to compete in September and ultimately win premierships. He has experienced the ultimate triumph as a captain, he’s played a big role in driving success as an assistant coach and it’s where we want to get to at this football club.

We know that we have a highly talented, versatile playing group and we firmly believe that Michael is the person to get the most out of our players as people and as athletes.

We are looking forward to each of them getting to work with Michael, as well as his new assistant coaching staff, and we are excited to begin this next reset phase together with the entire Carlton family, starting with pre-season in November.

Inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 2011, Michael’s contribution to the game sees him a true champion of the modern era, with a resume that boasts the AFL’s most notable achievements as a five-time All Australian – twice selected as skipper – a Brownlow Medallist and a three-time premiership captain.

Captaining the Lions to three consecutive premierships from 2001–2003 and a fourth Grand Final appearance in 2004, Michael’s leadership on the field had him destined to join the coaching ranks following his retirement in 2006.

Hanging up his boots after 289 senior games, Michael went on to become the successor of AFL Legend and his former coach Leigh Matthews, taking the reins at the Brisbane Lions ahead of the 2009 season.

Following five years at the helm, Michael departed the Club at the end of 2013 and secured a role at Port Adelaide 12 months later to oversee its midfield, playing an instrumental role in the Power’s increasing dominance as senior assistant coach under Ken Hinkley.

Revered across the AFL industry for his ability to build strong relationships and help his players realise their full potential while instilling a high-performing culture, made the 46-year-old the standout candidate to take the reins of the Navy Blues.

Please join me in welcoming Michael, his partner Donna, and their children, Casey, Kayla and Gemma to the Blues.
Alternate text
Luke Sayers
President
Member ID: 2908822

And the email!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:30 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

are we happy, not happy, undecided?

12-1-2016 - CAS goes bang, happy new year.. Drugcheats forever..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

camel wrote:

Welcome aboard Vossy!

This is Brilliant!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:32 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

All the best Vossy.

Who were the final four candidates they refer to in the email? We know Voss and McCrae. Who were the other two?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:34 am 
Bruce Doull

rhino27 wrote:
All the best Vossy.

Who were the final four candidates they refer to in the email? We know Voss and McCrae. Who were the other two?

Kingsley, Gia and McQualter were also spoken to. Not sure McRae was ever on our radar.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:35 am 
Bob Chitty

I'm happy.

I think the recent comment by wines was the tick I needed.

I also go over the fact the diesel, parkin and cook have been involved in this .. and i couldn't be more assured that he is the coach we need.

If it means we also get lappin and Scarlett... thats some coaching panel.

Voss as head coach
Power as assistant (midfield w diesel)
Scarlett as assistant (defence)
Lappin as assistant (development)

Get a high quality forward coach and its happy days.

Cook to be the bridge between the board and the club is the other trigger.

I'm very happy with this (assumed the Scarlett and lappin appoinentz)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:36 am 
Bruce Doull

bosman wrote:

My thoughts from the "who should coach..." thread...

Donstuie wrote:
After giving it some thought, I’m happy with Voss, as the recent things I’ve heard about what he’s done at Port sound ideal for our group.

But the other thing is that given this is the third time he’s applied he very clearly WANTS to lead this club.

I’ll judge him on what he delivers, not what happened a decade ago.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:37 am 
formerly Fevola

Lets hope he goes well. Hard to know who was right or wrong. All I know is that I didnt want Ross Lyon as he is too entitled and self absorbed for my liking. With Clarkson, if you need to beg someone and give them $12M for 7 years and it doesnt go well, then we would be stuffed.

Hopefully Voss drives whats needed and gets through this group of players and changes the culture.

They need to know what is required to win premierships and they have someone that knows this all too well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:39 am 
Bob Chitty

Congrats to Vossy
Sounds like we undertook a due and proper selection process which included Cook’s involvement with the final candidates and final interviews
That gives me a level of comfort that this is the right appointment for the club
I have warmed to Vossy in the last few days and think his experiences at Brisbane and under Ken will hold him in good stead to take us forward. He should know what to expect and shouldn’t be overawed by it all
Most importantly he’ll have some strong figures above him in Cook, Sayers and Diesel to create an environment conducive to success
Now we need to add a couple of quality assistants and the footy department overhaul will largely be complete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:39 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Donstuie wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
All the best Vossy.

Kingsley, Gia and McQualter were also spoken to. Not sure McRae was ever on our radar.

:oops: Meant Kingsley.

Were they the final four or the only four?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:40 am 
Horrie Clover

Absolutely thrilled! A proven on-field leader, respected footballer and competitive beast. Just what this playing group and Club needs. He will be given all the support he needs to be successful. #Believe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:41 am 
Bruce Doull

One of the better players I've seen play the game. Nearly as good as Williams.

Let's hope his coaching is up to the same standard

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 am 
Bruce Doull

bosman wrote:

I'm somewhere between ambivalent and excited.

Ambivalent: Oh here we go again on the cycle of hopes being crushed. Now we're on a high thinking of what could be, how long until we land back to reality of what won't be?

Excited: A lot of people are saying Voss is better prepared and he is now being endorsed broadly by the AFL community. Sure a lot of that is supporting a mate, but there's also support from independent voices. Voss has a lot of attributes that many of us would aspire for our senior coach to have: winning culture as a player, widely admired for his attack on the ball and on-field leadership (he was certainly one of my most admired non-Carlton players).

The only real downside is his supposedly failed experience at Brisbane. How much of that was due to him and his lack of preparedness and how much was out of his control?

Simply, people change and Voss has clearly put himself on a path of improvement and is dedicated to a coaching career. We can only wait and see how good he is.

Initially, I would have been not keen on Voss, see previous ambivalence comments, but countering that we have seen good early signs from Sayers and input from respected figures, including Brian Cook, signing off on this appointment.

I love the club first and foremost and Voss is ours and I hope to see him and Weiters on the dais with 17 in hand real soon.

Voss has a great opportunity ahead of him and I hope to see him achieve great things. Go get 'em Vossy!

GO BLUES!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:43 am 
Rod Ashman

Excellent!

Three things give me confidence:
1) Cook, Parkin & Williams. None of them suffer fools. All of them know deeply what is required. They won't be sucked in by powerpoint presentations.
2) Voss is amongst the best leaders the AFL has ever seen. Players will follow him. He will instil confidence and belief in them. Based on hard work and physical/mental toughness, and skill.
3) As distinct from the young coach that he was, this version will be cynical enough not to get seduced by external accolades of him or his team.

Go Blues!

PS. I think we will get Lappin. Don't think Scarlett will come though - he has previously said he will never coach another club other than Geelong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:43 am 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
bosman wrote:

Donstuie wrote:
After giving it some thought, I’m happy with Voss, as the recent things I’ve heard about what he’s done at Port sound ideal for our group.

But the other thing is that given this is the third time he’s applied he very clearly WANTS to lead this club.

Your last line is where it's at. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:44 am 
Ken Hunter

Welcome to Carlton.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:47 am 
Bruce Doull

camel wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
bosman wrote:

Donstuie wrote:

Your last line is where it's at. :thumbsup:

More than anything, I'm just glad that it's @#$%&! done.

The crap we've all had to deal with these past few weeks has been a disgrace.

#GUILTY

Rod Ashman

camel wrote:
bosman wrote:

I'm somewhere between ambivalent and excited.

Ambivalent: Oh here we go again on the cycle of hopes being crushed. Now we're on a high thinking of what could be, how long until we land back to reality of what won't be?

Excited: A lot of people are saying Voss is better prepared and he is now being endorsed broadly by the AFL community. Sure a lot of that is supporting a mate, but there's also support from independent voices. Voss has a lot of attributes that many of us would aspire for our senior coach to have: winning culture as a player, widely admired for his attack on the ball and on-field leadership (he was certainly one of my most admired non-Carlton players).

The only real downside is his supposedly failed experience at Brisbane. How much of that was due to him and his lack of preparedness and how much was out of his control?

Simply, people change and Voss has clearly put himself on a path of improvement and is dedicated to a coaching career. We can only wait and see how good he is.

Initially, I would have been not keen on Voss, see previous ambivalence comments, but countering that we have seen good early signs from Sayers and input from respected figures, including Brian Cook, signing off on this appointment.

I love the club first and foremost and Voss is ours and I hope to see him and Weiters on the dais with 17 in hand real soon.

Voss has a great opportunity ahead of him and I hope to see him achieve great things. Go get 'em Vossy!

GO BLUES!!!

This … :thumbsup:

Bruce Doull

rhino27 wrote:
All the best Vossy.

Quote:
Carlton finalised a four-person shortlist for the senior coaching position this week and landed on Michael Voss. Appointed ahead of Adam Kingsley, Daniel Giansiracusa and Andrew McQualter.

https://twitter.com/RileyBev/status/1440855002503733254

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 110  Next