Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 110  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:15 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

the problem that i have with Voss is, he's been here before. He coached the lions into regression and couldn't snap out of it, and from this season to last - he's done the same.

when players look confused and observers cannot figure out how we're trying to play and what we're trying to do? that's a red flag in coaching more than the players, imo ...

a season where finals was promised; and collectively as a team & a club right across the board we've regressed; people at cfc will have to pay those consequences...

I'd like to hear more about our "half arsed review" (as per caro's statement) and all of those implications.

Like, why was Mcrae never even green listed as a someone cfc needs to interview?

Our review came up with two names, lyon and voss. One old school and defensive who's never been able to get his teams over the line. And another a champion player who's never made the transition from player to head coach and the only time he tried he failed really really badly... maybe he's a career line coach?

but, why aren't we attempting to find the next mcrae?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:15 am 
Rod Ashman

To me the issue was the club said we wouldn’t take on an inexperienced coach, then missed whatever target they had lined up. Then, rather than actually getting the best person they doubled down and took the only experienced option available.

Reminds me very much of Steve Bradbury becoming a gold medalist.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:41 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

i understand the stigma taking (risking) the lot on an untried coach ... but picking someone who's never quite got there, or got there from a period where modern footy has left behind (pagan, malthouse) to me, seems insane to keep repeating.

I've always hated Essendon* more than the pies. but the pies are right there. so, watching the pies is really confronting for me, bcos they are fun to watch. and i look at mcrae and wonder how we never even had him on our radar?

that shows off the field, how far behind we actually are ... as voss and the playing group show how far behind we are on it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:57 am 
Geoff Southby

Changing Voss is not the solution.
He needs more experienced support like McRae has.
I know this may be a bit controversial but Buckley might be good support for him.
He has experience as a senior coach. Tick
Understands the modern game. Tick
Has never been inside the Carlton bubble. Tick
Will not be afraid to challenge Voss. Tick

He also needs to stick to developing this game plan and make some solid list changes at the end of the season and get players in that can deliver on what he needs.
Speed, speed and more speed, as well as being able to kick a football.
This process takes time and what's another year.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
I know this may be a bit controversial but Buckley might be good support for him.

He also needs to stick to developing this game plan and make some solid list changes at the end of the season and get players in that can deliver on what he needs.

Then why not just get Buckley as coach?

I’m not sure why there’s such loyalty to Voss but people are happy to torch the assistants.

My view is Voss was the wrong guy. His time at Brisbane ended in tears and I fear the same at Carlton.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:36 pm 
Robert Walls

I can't imagine a world where Voss would be happy with a contemporary like Buckley in the box with him as a Director of coaching and I can't imagine Buckley being happy being an assistant.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

bluebo baggers wrote:
I can't imagine a world where Voss would be happy with a contemporary like Buckley in the box with him as a Director of coaching and I can't imagine Buckley being happy being an assistant.

Buckley would also be prohibitively expensive.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

DesEnglish wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Then why not just get Buckley as coach?

I’m not sure why there’s such loyalty to Voss but people are happy to torch the assistants.

My view is Voss was the wrong guy. His time at Brisbane ended in tears and I fear the same at Carlton.

So Melbourne should've just got Chocco?
Or Collingwood should've just got Bolton or Leppa?
Or the Kangas should've just got Ratten?

At some point in time we have to stick to one coach for an extended period.
We have flipped coaches more than a 15yo has flipped burgers at Macca's and it hasn't worked.
Voss came with a lot of plaudits from coaches and players.
So why not Voss and why not get him some senior support like the clubs mentioned, what's the harm in trying?
I don't think he is the wrong coach.
What he is trying to do is the right thing, but he like the players have things they need to work on and that is where more experience helps.

Like the playing team it's all about adding experience and depth to the coaching team also.
So it's not about torching assistants rather than adding more experience.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:

It's a moot point unless Voss is genuinely open to working with such an appointment.
Pointless if he agrees (to help save his job) but then pays lip service to it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

kennyhunter wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

It's a moot point unless Voss is genuinely open to working with such an appointment.

What makes you think he wouldn't be open to it?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

Voss needs to see out next year
He definitely needs help tactically

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:02 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

keogh wrote:
Voss needs to see out next year
He definitely needs help tactically

You'd think it could be a good opportunity for someone to come in and have a clear impact to do their own future aspirations no harm.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:18 pm 
John Nicholls

You know what occurred to me 3/4 of a bottle into some Montepulciano recently.... AI.

Are any teams using AI to dissect opposition play/tactics, melding it with player stats and efficiencies, to probe for weakness and design a counter game plan?

I know they track all kinds of stats now but are they yet at the level of sophistication where Voss can get suggestions from AI?

In IT we call it a decision support system....

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
the problem that i have with Voss is, he's been here before. He coached the lions into regression and couldn't snap out of it, and from this season to last - he's done the same.

when players look confused and observers cannot figure out how we're trying to play and what we're trying to do? that's a red flag in coaching more than the players, imo ...

a season where finals was promised; and collectively as a team & a club right across the board we've regressed; people at cfc will have to pay those consequences...

I'd like to hear more about our "half arsed review" (as per caro's statement) and all of those implications.

Like, why was Mcrae never even green listed as a someone cfc needs to interview?

Our review came up with two names, lyon and voss. One old school and defensive who's never been able to get his teams over the line. And another a champion player who's never made the transition from player to head coach and the only time he tried he failed really really badly... maybe he's a career line coach?

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
kennyhunter wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Maybe he ain't the greatest listener ...

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:45 pm 
Geoff Southby

robertbb wrote:
You know what occurred to me 3/4 of a bottle into some Montepulciano recently.... AI.

Are any teams using AI to dissect opposition play/tactics, melding it with player stats and efficiencies, to probe for weakness and design a counter game plan?

I know they track all kinds of stats now but are they yet at the level of sophistication where Voss can get suggestions from AI?

In IT we call it a decision support system....

Hahahahaha......
That is weird.
On Saturday night after drinking nearly enough beer with a mate who was over to watch the *Cheats I had the exact same idea.
Interesting to see if it would help.
Who has the Chat GPT app?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

kennyhunter wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
kennyhunter wrote:
Sidefx wrote:

Maybe he ain't the greatest listener ...

But do we know this or is this just an assumption?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Buckley says it is not a coaching issue.
Of course he would say that.
He says it is because of Harry and Charlie.
Of course they carry a fair bit of the blame for Fri night.
But equally do the coaches not play a role in kicking skills?
At the end of the day it is coaches who cop it in the neck.
Maybe Nathan has forgotten that.

Harry & Charlie can blame their kicking skills on the coaches.

These guys have to be held to account for their set shot kicking.

I dont blame Vossy one bit for their kicking woes. They're full time professionals.

They are not the ones who are being paid to kick the goals which were set up by the hard work players put in further up the ground.

Coach isnt going to kick it for them.

The coaches are full time professionals too.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Buckley says it is not a coaching issue.
Of course he would say that.
He says it is because of Harry and Charlie.
Of course they carry a fair bit of the blame for Fri night.
But equally do the coaches not play a role in kicking skills?
At the end of the day it is coaches who cop it in the neck.
Maybe Nathan has forgotten that.

Harry & Charlie can blame their kicking skills on the coaches.

These guys have to be held to account for their set shot kicking.

I dont blame Vossy one bit for their kicking woes. They're full time professionals.

The coaches are full time professionals too.

kicking is confidence driven. our group look lost & confused. they're being told to forgo natural instinct (of run and h/pass or kick), and repalce with mark, stop, assess kick long to contests. that's all on coaching.

our players can hit targets. playing fast can aid this (less time to think) and for some operating at pace & with speed it's easier to kick and hit targets. i think our woes are entirely down to coaching.

Rocca improved Casboult's kicking - why hasn't someone been employed to help our lot?

Even matthew lloyd has looked at harry's kicking and said it's a pretty easy fix (and then showed us how), and nowhere near as complicated to fix as Buddy's early career kicking technique.

That doesnt explain why Harry, Charlie and co are missing set shots. It can't be the 30 seconds they have catch their breath, steady and take the set shot at goal. Have a look at the casual approach when kicking a set shot at goal; the swinging hands before the ball drop, no real or consistent routine. Then there's the failure to mark balls that land straight into their hands.

Nah, the KPF's are goal kickers. That's their primary job. That's what they practise.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:17 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:

Mcrae is the man manger and leader, and the assistants are the ones who are the tacticians and line coaches. Mcrae has good assistants guiding him and his players. Voss is a man manager and leader.

Who knows, maybe the Vossy game plan has got the players buy in and because it is unique its something we should embrace if it can win Finals because its different. I'm only guessing, like the rest of us.

Game plan has been tweaked and needs to continue to be tweaked and practised against AFL teams, not intra club games during the preseason. Maybe the reset is happening as we speak. Maybe we will see the players pick up another 5% and focus and visualise goals before they kick them.

Whatever is the problem, looks to me the rest of this year will be about finding out what works and who is not worth keeping.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 110  Next