Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 110  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:29 pm 
Serge Silvagni

We will make finals. Saints and Dogs won’t make.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

I said earlier that I won't make the call on a coach in his first season and I stand by it, but it's hard not to attribute what's going on at the moment to the coaches box.

Structures, game plan, player mindset, team selection is on them

Injuries are a factor but not to the extent of bottom 6 type performances

I have (hope) faith they will grow with this team but it's hard to stomach atm...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

What's with the crappy loopy handballs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

Voss needs to stay on the bench for the rest of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

And eat lollies

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:18 pm 
Garry Crane

change the f......k....g game plan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hornet wrote:
I said earlier that I won't make the call on a coach in his first season and I stand by it, but it's hard not to attribute what's going on at the moment to the coaches box.

Structures, game plan, player mindset, team selection is on them

Injuries are a factor but not to the extent of bottom 6 type performances

I have (hope) faith they will grow with this team but it's hard to stomach atm...

Voss didn’t recruit players who can’t execute basic skills handball and kicking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Skills Skills Skills

Melbourne has this issue and brought in Mark Williams to focus on skills at the beginning of 2021. Players said it made a massive difference. We need someone similar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Not knocking Vossy but question needs to be asked. How much was the first 10 weeks great coaching and how much was the honeymoon period?
Teague went 6-4 in his first 10 taking over a team that was 1-10.
Bolton went 5-5 with a crap list in his first 10.
Yes we looked like a top 4 side after 10 but we've been bottom 6 since. 1 good win against Freo and the other 3 against garbage. We have failed every test in the 2nd half of the season and failed miserably.
Changing coach isn't going to solve our issues either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:22 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

missnaut wrote:
Lace Out wrote:
Expecting a fited up team today, Voss would of taken no prisoners in the match review. Takes no shit from anyone and says it how it is from what I'm hearing.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
That worked out well.
I blame myself for misspelling fired.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:26 am 
Harry Vallence

rhino27 wrote:
Not knocking Vossy but question needs to be asked. How much was the first 10 weeks great coaching and how much was the honeymoon period?
Yes we looked like a top 4 side after 10 but we've been bottom 6 since. 1 good win against Freo and the other 3 against garbage. We have failed every test in the 2nd half of the season and failed miserably.

Nah. A few flat weeks but we are miles ahead of where we were under Teague. Not in the same ball park.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:28 am 
Harry Vallence

daggs001 wrote:
rhino27 wrote:

Nah. A few flat weeks but we are miles ahead of where we were under Teague. Not in the same ball park.

Agree with this. However, I think us stepping up has exposed a few players

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:02 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sidefx wrote:
Voss needs to stay on the bench for the rest of the year.

Yep.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:

A: As much as you like. Its all only an opinion

Yes we looked like a top 4 side after 10 but we've been bottom 6 since.

We never had that pleasure with Bolton or Teague

What happened after round 10?

Let me see, vs Pies...Our No 1 KPD, Weitering was subbed out at 10 min mark, His back ups...Jones, McDonald, McGovern, Parks all out injured, and Plowman, Young and Marchbank wre the KPD's till Marchbank joined the injured list. Add Williams and Williamson out injured from that back half

Then there was Pittonet, Williams, Cuningham... and the injuries kept coming...Cerra, S.Durdin, Martin, Owies, Philp, Boyd, Fogarty, Carroll, Stocker, Hewett, Kennedy, Newnes....I don't think Bolton and Teague had to endure this sort of injury calamity

1 good win against Freo and the other 3 against garbage. We have failed every test in the 2nd half of the season and failed miserably.

We have won 4 games including Freo and GWS against the odds with all those injuries.

The teams who beat us in the 2nd half were at full or close to full strength.

We might lose our Captain for the last 2 rounds, but history wont go into such detail when reviewing our year. We have all that information at our finger tips, let alone have to endure it on a weekly basis as rusted on fans, and have witnessed amazing wins against the odds.

I keep reminding people, Voss inherited this list. Its his first year. He has had to play the likes of Plowman, Dow, Newnes, Setterfield, LOB, and a bunch of 19,20yo kids...because the cupboard is bare and bereft of class beyond our best 23.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
daggs001 wrote:
rhino27 wrote:

Agree with this. However, I think us stepping up has exposed a few players

and that's the reality check we all need.

Voss had his reasons for not selecting dropping Plowman from round 1 team, and recently Dow, Setterfield... but was forced to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
It’s not the end of the world if Carlton falls out of the top eight from here, according to David King.

The Blues need to win one more game to make it, with the Bulldogs likely to overtake them on percentage if they don’t.

Losses to Adelaide and Brisbane on the road have left them still needing that 13th win, with Melbourne and Collingwood to come.

With an injury list in double digits all season and the pending suspension of Patrick Cripps, that final victory feels unlikely.

However, King believes Carlton has laid out their game style, proven they have the tools and shouldn’t be too dismayed if they miss out.

“We were there at the start of the season for their practice game at IKON Park to work out who they are. They were going flat out at every training session, flat out at every pre-season game. It’s a long year,” King told SEN Breakfast.

“They’ve shown this season that in 2023 and 2024 they’re going to be a force. They’ve set standards.

“They aren’t as physically imposing as they were in the first eight weeks of the season, they aren’t as brutal in the contest and clearance, their top players maybe aren’t in ripping form, they’ve hit the wall a little bit for me.

“Which is probably expected. I probably expected this with Collingwood, Hawthorn, the first-time coaches coming in have got to set standards and get rolling so early in pre-season and there’s no tapering.

“It hasn’t happened at Collingwood, but it has happened at Carlton. There’s no shame in that.

“If Cripps gets a few weeks and they go in without three or four of their midfield set, they’ll get what they get, but there’s so many positives out of Carlton this year.

“It doesn’t really matter if you finish seventh, eighth, ninth or 10th. It doesn’t change where you’re going next year.

“I just think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

“I’d love to do a study on teams that have finished seventh and eighth the last few years and how it’s impacted the following two to three seasons. Has it actually helped them or is it a false economy?

“They go so hard in the last three weeks to limp into eighth and more often than not they’re out week one and all the talk and all the excitement, it just becomes a nonsense.

In terms of the way they play, I think there’s been enormous gains this year. Michael Voss has done a great job.

“They’ve run out of personnel. Injuries have got them.”

On top of likely losing Cripps for the final two games, the Blues will likely be without Matt Kennedy (broken jaw) and George Hewett (back) from their starting midfield group.

The Blues will seemingly have at least 14 players unavailable for Saturday night’s clash with Melbourne.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/08/theres-no-shame-in-that-why-its-not-the-end-of-the-world-if-carlton-misses/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

only GC ESS HAWKS and Crows fielded less experienced sides than us on weekend and the result reflected this
Brisbane had 132 games average to our 84 - thats over two seasons

It will get worse this week if Crippa gets suspended and Martin is injured again

Kingy is probably right but it doesn't make it any better the fall from grace since round 10 has been dramatic

Its not just the injuries and loss of players that have hurt it is the way the players have returned from injury have played

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:49 pm 
Garry Crane

injuries /we didnt turn up / players and game plan not good enough no more excuses .eg saints and adl a good team would have won those games. I think voss and club needs to find assistants from a successful club to help.Nick martin needs to find missing pieces eg Ash Johnston from ferals ,the recruiter got ask to find a quick key fwd 193 cm and he found him,this is what Austin has to do . No more footscray players (easy way)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

jpulice1969 wrote:
change the f......k....g game plan

Too late for that.

Coaching from the bench should help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
only GC ESS HAWKS and Crows fielded less experienced sides than us on weekend and the result reflected this
Brisbane had 132 games average to our 84 - thats over two seasons

It will get worse this week if Crippa gets suspended and Martin is injured again

Kingy is probably right but it doesn't make it any better the fall from grace since round 10 has been dramatic

Its not just the injuries and loss of players that have hurt it is the way the players have returned from injury have played

:thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 110  Next