Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 110  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

Was very interesting listening to Kane identifying Carlton as one of two teams he thinks could make big moves next year (together with Sydney) and his nominating Fisher as one of the five players he thinks most likely to go beserk next year!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:59 pm 
formerly Fevola

Yep and people want to chuck him in as a sweetner to the Cerra deal with pick 6.

I see a lot in Fisher. I just feel he is not happy as his role is not set and seems lost.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

17th Premiership wrote:
Was very interesting listening to Kane identifying Carlton as one of two teams he thinks could make big moves next year (together with Sydney) and his nominating Fisher as one of the five players he thinks most likely to go beserk next year!

Kane cornes is a idiot so hopefully he can convince port
To take the elite fisher off our hands ,,, absolutely overrated

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

azzablue wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

Kane cornes is a idiot so hopefully he can convince port
To take the elite fisher off our hands ,,, absolutely overrated

Why is he overrated? Is there maybe any chance his role was completely misdirected and/or not well defined under Teague?IMO we saw many games where Fish was very good and has an impact. Speed and good skills too. Not exactly something we have in spades now is it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:10 pm 
Craig Bradley

Deadset kidding ourselves if we’re pinning all of Fisher’s failings on the coach.

He was given every possible chance to succeed by Teague. Kept as far as humanly possible from any defensive accountability.

He’s been given the simplest of roles, yet AFL footy is a few levels above his understanding of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

thryleon wrote:
billc3 wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I'm excited by Voss. I believe he will bring the hardness and standards we need.

One thing I would like to see is Charlie Curnow play like Stringer DeGoey or Petracca. Go into the middle at times and be that dynamic player that can turn a game. Almost like Kouta. He is 192cm and has a great running capability. He can still go forward but with Mckay DeKoning JSOS McDonald or McGovern up forward he can play a slightly different role

Anyway just my thoughts. I enjoy reading the comments on here. Go Blues
Yep...
Swap Cripps and Charlie during games...... Like we could have swapped Kennedy and Cripps on occasion this year.....but didn't.... maybe that too was a COVID-19 thing.... (just for the Teague discussion above)

Go Blues

You missed the game where did that and ruined both of their games.
No I didn't.

Moved him to CHF when he was injured and couldn't run..

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:42 am 
Bruce Doull

Already looking forward to the calls to "Sakc Voss" after our first loss next season.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:32 pm 
Horrie Clover

Wojee wrote:
Already looking forward to the calls to "Sakc Voss" after our first loss next season.

Based on previous form, I thought it only fitting the topic is already open for discussion and surprised no one started a thread.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:10 pm 
Robert Walls

thryleon wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Based on previous form, I thought it only fitting the topic is already open for discussion and surprised no one started a thread.

I think Heavs tried to.
But he's too controversial for the conservative vibe here :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Voss has made it clear he will focus on the areas Teague didn't focus on or wasn't able to be successful at.

Winning the contest
Support around the contest.
DEFENCE

Underpinned with a "Powerful Brand" of football.

I expect players who had their worst years of AFL will improve with a modern game plan.
Players like Docherty, Williams, Cripps will benefit from this.

Goddard was providing his opinion on the need for Saad to get back to basics with a team defence mentality, and fit into Team Defence mode. This is something all our backline can help with, because there were times when our backline had holes and open leading lanes, and a lack of accountability playing Teague's ultra offensive footy.

Quote:
“We saw it with Zac Williams (when he played in defence), Adam Saad and even Doc (Sam Docherty) a lot of the time, they’re all just running trying to get involved offensively, then their ability to make defensive decisions was really, really poor.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/01/what-decisions-is-he-making-former-teammate-calls-out-saads-playing-style/

And rather than trying to do everything, Cripps can concentrate on his strengths as the contested ball and dish it out to support around the contest, which wasn't there last year.

I know Carlton was hampered by injury to Curnow, Pitto, levi, Marchbank, Cuningham etc etc, but Teague's plan looked a bit too kamikaze with players going for broke offensively only for it to backfire when the ball was turned over and we didn't have any defensive set up.

I expect a huge improvement next year. 12-13 wins are not out of the question if Teague was able to muster 8.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:

Typically with a new coach you will get a couple of players that will bloom and a couple that will want to leave. I hope Cripps is mature enough and devoted enough to that Jumper that he cops Voss's message on the chin. Cripps was at times embarrassing last season the way he demanded the ball when he was not in a position to do so and subsequently fluffed it...this could have been a reflection of Teague's style and attempt to have Cripps lift himself to a new level and carry the team.... either way it was not successful and you do that enough you will lose the respect of your team.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Voss has made it clear he will focus on the areas Teague didn't focus on or wasn't able to be successful at.

Winning the contest
DEFENCE

I expect players who had their worst years of AFL will improve with a modern game plan.

Goddard was providing his opinion on the need for Saad to get back to basics with a team defence mentality, and fit into Team Defence mode. This is something all our backline can help with, because there were times when our backline had holes and open leading lanes, and a lack of accountability playing Teague's ultra offensive footy.

Quote:
“We saw it with Zac Williams (when he played in defence), Adam Saad and even Doc (Sam Docherty) a lot of the time, they’re all just running trying to get involved offensively, then their ability to make defensive decisions was really, really poor.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/01/what-decisions-is-he-making-former-teammate-calls-out-saads-playing-style/

And rather than trying to do everything, Cripps can concentrate on his strengths as the contested ball and dish it out to support around the contest, which wasn't there last year.

I know Carlton was hampered by injury to Curnow, Pitto, levi, Marchbank, Cuningham etc etc, but Teague's plan looked a bit too kamikaze with players going for broke offensively only for it to backfire when the ball was turned over and we didn't have any defensive set up.

I expect a huge improvement next year. 12-13 wins are not out of the question if Teague was able to muster 8.

Teague's efforts were sadly our 2nd best effort this century, the 42% being better actually than Voss's effort at Brisbane. Did it with a shit load of injuries too. Issue was players choose when they felt like defending or running two ways. The weeks we did defend we defended well, players just picked and chose when to. Teague gave them a mighty half time blast against Hawthorn for not defending properly, which had immediate effect. The idea when you relied on attack is that you trust your players to defend and run two ways, which the players wouldn't do. We defended well against the Pies, twice against Freo, Geelong, 2nd half against Hawthorn, St.Kiida. Other weeks we weren't bothered. Culture has been shitty for 20 years, not necessarily all the on coaches, as we are learning, or at least some of us are. That is the first thing Voss has to get around. Like all our recent coaches he'll likely have his most success year 1. Teague was unlucky his first year was just half a year with 6-5. Missed his first year honeymoon. Year 2 and after is the test as it has started to go pear-shaped previously. Good luck to Vossy if he can reverse that trend. He'll need it. To start with, new leaders to drive changes with real peer pressure. Only way it's changing.

Actually 3 coaches this century have been sacked on the back of a year of shitload of injuries where even fielding a side at times wasn't that easy. Brittain, Ratten and now Teague, 3 most "successful" coaches win/loss in that times. The first two cases the next coach after them performed terribly. Obviously don't know about the the 3rd yet. Hope Voss can change that. Melbourne finished 17th 2 years ago with 5 wins after a preseason where more than 3/4 of their side didn't get much of a season due to surgeries and alot injuries during the year. Shows how alot of injuries can affect a side.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jim wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Winning the contest
DEFENCE

Quote:

Teague's efforts were sadly our 2nd best effort this century, the 42% being better actually than Voss's effort at Brisbane. Did it with a shit load of injuries too. Issue was players choose when they felt like defending or running two ways. The weeks we did defend we defended well, players just picked and chose when to. Teague gave them a mighty half time blast against Hawthorn for not defending properly, which had immediate effect. The idea when you relied on attack is that you trust your players to defend and run two ways, which the players wouldn't do. We defended well against the Pies, twice against Freo, Geelong, 2nd half against Hawthorn, St.Kiida. Other weeks we weren't bothered. Culture has been shitty for 20 years, not necessarily all the on coaches, as we are learning, or at least some of us are. That is the first thing Voss has to get around. Like all our recent coaches he'll likely have his most success year 1. Teague was unlucky his first year was just half a year with 6-5. Missed his first year honeymoon. Year 2 and after is the test as it has started to go pear-shaped previously. Good luck to Vossy if he can reverse that trend. He'll need it. To start with, new leaders to drive changes with real peer pressure. Only way it's changing.

Actually 3 coaches this century have been sacked on the back of a year of shitload of injuries where even fielding a side at times wasn't that easy. Brittain, Ratten and now Teague, 3 most "successful" coaches win/loss in that times. The first two cases the next coach after them performed terribly. Obviously don't know about the the 3rd yet. Hope Voss can change that. Melbourne finished 17th 2 years ago with 5 wins after a preseason where more than 3/4 of their side didn't get much of a season due to surgeries and alot injuries during the year. Shows how alot of injuries can affect a side.

Generally I agree with you jim. All the above makes sense to me.

I will not assume Teague was the right coach despite his record in our worst period of our 150 year history.

I do blame Teague for not being able to move hearts and minds, and I wont blame or tarnish all the young 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st year players who have no idea what the culture was 20 years ago, or 10 years ago, or 3 years ago before Teague.

Teague is gone, and no doubt, Voss is and will be a different coach to Teague, so I put the theory of culture aside, and look forward to see if after 10 years as an assistant if Voss, as his own man, has become a master coach. I look forward to finding out. Teague's gone, and hopefully with him, his down hill skiing ways at Carlton.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:52 am 
Trevor Keogh

I was heavily advocating to have Teague appointed because I felt we were playing with a newfound spirit we'd sorely missed for many years.

Conversely, I went ballistic on texts in round 2, knowing I'd been sold a lemon. He had changed nothing. The prevailing culture yet again, was a baseline intensity well off the pace of premiership teams. The fact that the players weren't motivated so early in the season after perpetuated team failure was particularly galling.

Voss has got his work cut out. It takes the talent and sacrifice I don't possess to make it into the AFL. We then have a lion's share of players that feel they've attained success in that achievement alone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:21 am 
Rod Ashman

wasthesonofapreacherman wrote:
I was heavily advocating to have Teague appointed because I felt we were playing with a newfound spirit we'd sorely missed for many years.

Conversely, I went ballistic on texts in round 2, knowing I'd been sold a lemon. He had changed nothing. The prevailing culture yet again, was a baseline intensity well off the pace of premiership teams. The fact that the players weren't motivated so early in the season after perpetuated team failure was particularly galling.

Voss has got his work cut out. It takes the talent and sacrifice I don't possess to make it into the AFL. We then have a lion's share of players that feel they've attained success in that achievement alone.

Are you related to our other esteemed poster, Aboynamedsue??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:51 am 
Trevor Keogh

17th Premiership wrote:
wasthesonofapreacherman wrote:

Are you related to our other esteemed poster, Aboynamedsue??

As much as I sincerely enjoy his posts, he didn't bob up on my Ancestry results. That's reassuring given my dad was a preacher.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:39 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Vossy and Hamill will have these guys hitting hard.

Do we need anyone else? ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:36 pm 
Ken Hunter

The Normal One wrote:
Vossy and Hamill will have these guys hitting hard.

Now, about our injury list...

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:20 am 
Bruce Doull

billc3 wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
I'm excited by Voss. I believe he will bring the hardness and standards we need.

One thing I would like to see is Charlie Curnow play like Stringer DeGoey or Petracca. Go into the middle at times and be that dynamic player that can turn a game. Almost like Kouta. He is 192cm and has a great running capability. He can still go forward but with Mckay DeKoning JSOS McDonald or McGovern up forward he can play a slightly different role

Anyway just my thoughts. I enjoy reading the comments on here. Go Blues
Yep...
Swap Cripps and Charlie during games...... Like we could have swapped Kennedy and Cripps on occasion this year.....but didn't.... maybe that too was a COVID-19 thing.... (just for the Teague discussion above)

Go Blues

Cripps is not a forward. How much evidence do we need?!

We'd get more value playing him in the ruck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 110  Next