Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 110  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:27 am 
Harry Vallence

Stkilda, Essenscum, Collingfilth and Sydney all have more injuries to key players than us and their system of play is better than what we are producing.
Injuries are not to blame for our poor performances.
Last week all we had missing in terms of durability and consistency in playing was Docherty and Owies

Don't give me Williams, McGovern, Martin, Marchbank or even Cunningham because between them they've probably been lucky to have played 20 games in the last 3 years

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:48 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

deano35 wrote:
Stkilda, Essenscum, Collingfilth and Sydney all have more injuries to key players than us and their system of play is better than what we are producing.
Last week all we had missing in terms of durability and consistency in playing was Docherty and Owies

Don't give me Williams, McGovern, Martin, Marchbank or even Cunningham because between them they've probably been lucky to have played 20 games in the last 3 years

This.

System of play.

It is fair to say Carlton have NEVER had a good coach in this regard.

1995. Parko handed the reigns over to the players. Love Parko but let's be honest that was a different era.
The game has changed and become so game plan driven.

Voss created the forward handball last year, which worked a treat for 6-8 weeks or so then the competition figured us out.
And we have been average ever since.
Look I get that Carlton pre Voss leaked goals and he is trying to slow things down, so we control the ball more and thus reduce the opposition's ability to score, and it is admirable that we are better defensively this year (though not last week!).
But irrespective only an idiot would say we are playing really good footy right now.
Our ladder position flatters us.

I expect a response this weekend, but St.Kilda will also respond, and if we lose which I suspect we probably will (I have tipped us to win out of sheer hope trying to be positive) we will fall down the ladder and become very vulnerable.
The way we are playing we are no guarantee to make finals.
Our strength has been taken away from us. What has Voss got as a response? It is not just the players who need to respond.

I worry we only get by and play good footy based off above average contested footy around the contest esp at the middle of the ground, and the exceptional abilities of Curnow and McKay. There were several instances in the North game where Curnow marked and kicked to Harry who marked. When they play like that it is hard to stop.

But outside of these things, and of course the odd stand out effort by talented players, I think our game style otherwise is not outstanding and lacks an innovative element that tends to define the best sides.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

deano35 wrote:

Nonsense.
How can you say injuries are not an issue by not wanting to acknowledge "injury prone" injured key players.
The issue you have highlighted here is we are carrying too many injury prone players which in itself is saying injuries are an issue. :smile:

And either way, no one is solely saying injuries are the reason for our poor performances, but it sure doesn't help when you can't field a team with your best players like Adelaide did last week.

Two of those teams have new coaches and you seem to forget the "new coach" effect, even though only last season it was us.
And of the teams you mentioned only the Aints had a similar number of required outs as us and they played ugly like us and still lost to a team that only likes to just win games.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sidefx wrote:
deano35 wrote:

Nonsense.
How can you say injuries are not an issue by not wanting to acknowledge "injury prone" injured key players.
The issue you have highlighted here is we are carrying too many injury prone players which in itself is saying injuries are an issue. :smile:

And either way, no one is solely saying injuries are the reason for our poor performances, but it sure doesn't help when you can't field a team with your best players like Adelaide did last week.

Two of those teams have new coaches and you seem to forget the "new coach" effect, even though only last season it was us.
And of the teams you mentioned only the Aints had a similar number of required outs as us and they played ugly like us and still lost to a team that only likes to just win games.

Injuries and game plan are separate things.

Nobody in their right mind would dispute we have a long injury list. Part of that is recruitment of injury prone players.

But putting injuries aside, I would argue Voss' game style isn't very unique and doesn't stand out to me as being revolutionary in the sense that many of the great teams have played a new style of footy that has caught the rest of the competition off guard.
Malthouse's Collingwood side that went on to win a premiership, while the press was previously in existence I'd argue Mick's team took it to the nth degree and they won a flag as a result. Ross Lyon should have won a flag with that style of play.
Richmond's game style was built off a chaotic brand where they just pushed the ball forwards at all costs, players tapping it on to advantage, even kicking off the ground, whatever the case they just ran forward in numbers and attacked and they had 2 great tall forwards (at least when Lynch came over they did).
This new Collingwood side is similar, they play attacking footy but it starts with defense, they bring high numbers to contests to ensure they win the contested ball, then they spread and run forward with a great attacking mind set.
Melbourne also played an incredibly attacking brand of footy. They moved the ball very quickly to their forwards. Their ability to win the contested ball through their exceptional on ball brigade and then their exceptional wings allowed them to play such a great brand of attacking footy.
Us on the other hand, we seem to be a quite slow moving football team. As I said earlier I get it Voss wants to stem the bleeding that defined the previous iteration of Carlton before he came across. Teague's Carlton didn't know how to defend.
I would argue our team are a little akin to the 2022 Geelong side. That Geelong side were not fleet of foot but applied pressure on the ball carrier all over the ground, forcing turnovers which then allowed the team to rebound and of course they had 2 great tall forwards. We seem to be closer to that model. Not an out and out quick team. But will we be able to master it and bring home 17?
Ultimately I think Voss is conservative as a coach and not a tactical innovator.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
deano35 wrote:

Nonsense.

Nobody in their right mind would dispute we have a long injury list. Part of that is recruitment of injury prone players.

But putting injuries aside, I would argue Voss' game style isn't very unique and doesn't stand out to me as being revolutionary in the sense that many of the great teams have played a new style of footy that has caught the rest of the competition off guard.
Malthouse's Collingwood side that went on to win a premiership, while the press was previously in existence I'd argue Mick's team took it to the nth degree and they won a flag as a result. Ross Lyon should have won a flag with that style of play.
Richmond's game style was built off a chaotic brand where they just pushed the ball forwards at all costs, players tapping it on to advantage, even kicking off the ground, whatever the case they just ran forward in numbers and attacked and they had 2 great tall forwards (at least when Lynch came over they did).
This new Collingwood side is similar, they play attacking footy but it starts with defense, they bring high numbers to contests to ensure they win the contested ball, then they spread and run forward with a great attacking mind set.
Melbourne also played an incredibly attacking brand of footy. They moved the ball very quickly to their forwards. Their ability to win the contested ball through their exceptional on ball brigade and then their exceptional wings allowed them to play such a great brand of attacking footy.
Us on the other hand, we seem to be a quite slow moving football team. As I said earlier I get it Voss wants to stem the bleeding that defined the previous iteration of Carlton before he came across. Teague's Carlton didn't know how to defend.
I would argue our team are a little akin to the 2022 Geelong side. That Geelong side were not fleet of foot but applied pressure on the ball carrier all over the ground, forcing turnovers which then allowed the team to rebound and of course they had 2 great tall forwards. We seem to be closer to that model. Not an out and out quick team. But will we be able to master it and bring home 17?
Ultimately I think Voss is conservative as a coach and not a tactical innovator.

This is a very confusing post.
Firstly you say our game plan is not "revolutionary" then you applaud Collingwood who are doing the same thing as Richmond did but starting from the backline (which Richmond also did BTW).
Then you say we are like Geelong (The premiers) and can we emulate them like Collingwood are emulating Richmond.

With both of those clubs they have plenty of senior A grade players who have hundreds of games of experience, something we don't have.
Personally it seems as though you are trying to look for coaching issues so you can blame someone.

If you want to blame something, blame our poor disposal skills and believe it or not some of our best disposers of the football have been injured.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:53 am 
Robert Walls

Sidefx wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
deano35 wrote:

Nonsense.

This is a very confusing post.
Firstly you say our game plan is not "revolutionary" then you applaud Collingwood who are doing the same thing as Richmond did but starting from the backline (which Richmond also did BTW).
Then you say we are like Geelong (The premiers) and can we emulate them like Collingwood are emulating Richmond.

With both of those clubs they have plenty of senior A grade players who have hundreds of games of experience, something we don't have.
Personally it seems as though you are trying to look for coaching issues so you can blame someone.

If you want to blame something, blame our poor disposal skills and believe it or not some of our best disposers of the football have been injured.

Agree...my issues with Carlton (apart from wishing we had a healthier list) are low-level things that are independent (predominantly) of a game plan
poor disposal skills...Peter Hudson kicks type handballs (without his accuracy to the feet or over the head (kicks the same)
poor decision making (lowering eyes, honoring better lead, tempo, handballing to someone about to get tackled, kicking to 2 v1 etc etc etc etc)
not enough spread to provide next option or lead
SHOCKING kick out strategy (if that is the gameplan, sack Hammill immediately)
small fwds not defending at the source more and running back to help TOO QUICKLY (opposition seem to just waltz it through their back half
abominable tackling effectiveness
mid-fwd transition (obviuously linked to gameplan)
smart deciisons (tapping the ball to someone before you get tackled, kicking off the ground in the wet, fwds just bringing ball to ground if they are being covered-maybe if the small fwds ween't already in the back pocket trying to defend, the could actually crumb the ball)

When was the last time you saw a bullet pass (2-3m off the ground at its maximum height about 25-35m distance) to someone inside 50?????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:59 pm 
John Nicholls

Chris Scott had a bit to say in his presser about how "crippling" it is to lose a few players in one part of the ground.

He said it affected them early in the season and paid respect to how it affected Sydney last night.

We're in the same boat with Saad, Doc and Williams all out of our half back line. Be interesting to see how we as a club and Voss as a coach cope with the pressure and the scrutiny.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Well I've seen enough now.
You know a badly coached side when the players are remonstrating with themselves because they don't know where to kick.
Voss outcoached and has a terrible game plan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:51 pm 
formerly Fevola

Tick tick tick………. Tock.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:51 pm 
John Nicholls

Our two last three F50 entries were cut off by a well positioned defender cutting off the angle and blocking the leading lane.

We HAVE to be able to counter this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

robertbb wrote:
Our two last three F50 entries were cut off by a well positioned defender cutting off the angle and blocking the leading lane.

We HAVE to be able to counter this.

Maybe, you know, stop being a pussy and take it on. Like, I know they are really good on the rebound but maybe let's give it a crack every now and then.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:15 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Team not prepared well enough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:35 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hmmmm….!

kindest regards tommi

Last edited by tommi on Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

Paddycripps wrote:
Team not prepared well enough.

First positive move Voss could make is remove players like O’Brien and Fisher from the team. They are so detrimental to our improvement going forward.

Conditional players who in my view have been gifted games.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

Saints played a very short forward line ... our back line was top heavy ... this proved costly when the ball hit the ground

Lewis Young relieving in the ruck is evidence that so many talls were not needed in the backline

Weitering should have come up a line ... he is not a last line kamikaze style defendef but rather one who chops it off before it gets dangerous

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Interesting Voss presser not on AFL website yet

Lyons' has been up a while

Voss maybe having an extended chat to the players

Wonder what he's saying

Maybe the players are asking him what the game plan is?

Maybe Voss should look in the mirror and ask why Harry can't kick a basic drop punt.
Maybe Voss should ask himself why we play a slow game plan when the good teams play a fast game plan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:30 pm 
John Nicholls

Paddycripps wrote:
Interesting Voss presser not on AFL website yet

Lyons' has been up a while

Yeah. This is strange. I would love to be a fly on the wall.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Still no presser.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:33 pm 
John James

robertbb wrote:
Chris Scott had a bit to say in his presser about how "crippling" it is to lose a few players in one part of the ground.

He said it affected them early in the season and paid respect to how it affected Sydney last night.

We're in the same boat with Saad, Doc and Williams all out of our half back line. Be interesting to see how we as a club and Voss as a coach cope with the pressure and the scrutiny.

Saad and Doc are sadly missed but not Williams. He has offered little in the games he has played. A poor recruitment decision.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:34 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Carlton sit behind WCE for points for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 110  Next