Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 110  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/1210 ... cwODQ5NgS2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

Great to listen to Vossy post season, can't wait until next season, but the reality is that we have to. Hope this is a great learning process for the playing group. GO BLUES!!!

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

Yep! Great chat from Vossy.
Bring on 2023.
GO BLUES

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/1210870/full-interview-voss-on-first-season-at-the-helm?videoId=1210870&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1661842901001&spMailingID=8638444&spUserID=Mjg5NTEwNjc5NjY3S0&spJobID=1560708496&spReportId=MTU2MDcwODQ5NgS2

Its not just going to happen . You have to go out there and earn it . No one is going to hand it to you on a plate .....................music to my ears Sue . Next year is going to be a hell of a lot tougher than this year .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:47 am 
Rod Ashman

Agree - next year will be harder.
We will have additional expectation.
This year, we had a few surprising wins and that set up higher expectation for the second half of the season. But overall, I think we ended up roughly where we were expected to at the start of the year (6-10).
Next year, expectations will be top 6. But to get there, we must continue to beat the better teams and certainly cannot afford to drop any games against teams outside the 8!!

To achieve this, we will need to see continued improvement by the players, the coaching/game plan, injuries. Physically and mentally.

I must say I am enjoying the stress that comes with expectation much more than the odd surprise amidst a season of resignation and the occasional bright spark of individual performance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
Agree - next year will be harder.
We will have additional expectation.
This year, we had a few surprising wins and that set up higher expectation for the second half of the season. But overall, I think we ended up roughly where we were expected to at the start of the year (6-10).
Next year, expectations will be top 6. But to get there, we must continue to beat the better teams and certainly cannot afford to drop any games against teams outside the 8!!

To achieve this, we will need to see continued improvement by the players, the coaching/game plan, injuries. Physically and mentally.

I must say I am enjoying the stress that comes with expectation much more than the odd surprise amidst a season of resignation and the occasional bright spark of individual performance.

For sure 17 th . Great being back in the pressure cooker . That stress coming from expectation makes you feel like a real old style Carlton supporter .It was an every day normal feeling for us once . Nice to have that tension back .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:53 pm 
John Nicholls

He has some homework to do.

on gamestyle

I feel we're too turnover prone and not quick enough in general. Teams absolutely feast on those two weaknesses nowadays. Watching Brisbane and Richmond tonight really drives that home.

Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewitt and Kennedy all one-speed - if they don't win the ball we're on the back foot. And we're not yet adept enough at transition if we do force a turnover in the back half. Not looking much better for pace in our fwd line either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I think it's more a case of creating turnovers and ruthlessly punishing them through ball movement, I see that as far more of an improvement opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:51 am 
Geoff Southby

And speed becomes negligent if we are hitting more targets, especially tight kicks and smart knock ons.
After watching last nights game, that will be the difference for us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:35 am 
John Nicholls

Sidefx wrote:
And speed becomes negligent if we are hitting more targets, especially tight kicks and smart knock ons.
After watching last nights game, that will be the difference for us.

Watch the last quarter again (in particular) but really the whole match. I haven't seen stats but I'm guessing marks were way down - finals are just too tightly contested to rely on kick-mark. Need to move the ball with speed. The Tigers don't want to kick long as their first instinct, they want to get the ball to the outside with quick movement and then run in packs. We were at our best in the early season because we were doing exactly this. We fell away when we started playing Teague-ball.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

I hope Michael Voss has the whole playing group watch the last quarter of Melbourne vs Sydney. The way the swans played controlling the ball, is the reason we aren't playing finals. Two words SYSTEM and TOUGHNESS. Watch with eyes wide open our Carlton.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

We beat Sydney with the same desperation, toughness and system. It was the day I knew this group can do.
As we all know, it didn't end well but this group is good enough. That's what hurts the most.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

79Vintage wrote:
I hope Michael Voss has the whole playing group watch the last quarter of Melbourne vs Sydney. The way the swans played controlling the ball, is the reason we aren't playing finals. Two words SYSTEM and TOUGHNESS. Watch with eyes wide open our Carlton.

And you don't have to be a Star . Tom Hickey worked and worked and i believe in the end was the most influential player on the ground .WORKRATE . Hickey is no more than a hardworking journeyman but possesses enormous persistence and is a great example to blokes who are not so blessed with natural talent . A great inspiration for mine is Tom Hickey . And a whole lot of young players in that side also so enough of the young and developing card . Its now .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

Like a “Massey Grey”…!

kindest regards tommi

well coached team Swannies…!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

tommi wrote:
Like a “Massey Grey”…!

My world crumbles when you are not here...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
We beat Sydney with the same desperation, toughness and system. It was the day I knew this group can do.
As we all know, it didn't end well but this group is good enough. That's what hurts the most.

This. Whilst reflecting the following post from Vintage 79

Quote:

Point is, Swans were able to bring that game more consistently throughout the season (see Ladder) and when it counted (see Finals).

One thing we should take note, and its nothing to do with Swans Academy, but moreso Bloods Culture. Swans bottom 6/ depth players know the brand of contested footy they are expected to bring to each and every contest, let alone game.

Our bottom 6 players in my best 23 are Fisher, Durdin, Motlop, McGovern, Martin and TDK, and imo, our depth players are Plowman, OBrien, Setterfield, Dow, Cottrell, Stocker, Newman, Silvagni, Owies, Honey, Cuningham and Ed.

From the abovementioned bottom 6/ depth group, I would say only Newman, Stocker, Honey, Martin and Ed are the combative types who prey on the contest, and only Stocker and Honey have a career ahead of them, the others a year or two left. We need to recruit types who suit Vossy's combative style.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:46 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
79Vintage wrote:

And you don't have to be a Star . Tom Hickey worked and worked and i believe in the end was the most influential player on the ground .WORKRATE . Hickey is no more than a hardworking journeyman but possesses enormous persistence and is a great example to blokes who are not so blessed with natural talent . A great inspiration for mine is Tom Hickey . And a whole lot of young players in that side also so enough of the young and developing card . Its now .

Tom Hickey is all heart, and gives his all every minute he's on the ground. Pitto is a bit like Tom.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:27 pm 
Garry Crane

game plan has to changed ,swans key fwds did nothing and still won , no easy goals pressure all over the ground ,20 tackles in the last by syd wow what a effort ,carlton players can only dream.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

Reid kicked 2 in a minute to give the Swans daylight, wouldn't say the forwards did nothing. I'm not convinced we need a major change in approach. This finals series is the first time in a decade I haven't watched games and felt depressed about how far apart this is from our level. I would have given ourselves a big chance in both games so far. Better composure (experience), more leg speed, better injury management and we're almost there. This is also the reason I've been anti- every trade and FA signing proposed in the recruitment thread, I want us to go to the draft to address our needs, and keep our strengths.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
Reid kicked 2 in a minute to give the Swans daylight, wouldn't say the forwards did nothing. I'm not convinced we need a major change in approach. This finals series is the first time in a decade I haven't watched games and felt depressed about how far apart this is from our level. I would have given ourselves a big chance in both games so far. Better composure (experience), more leg speed, better injury management and we're almost there. This is also the reason I've been anti- every trade and FA signing proposed in the recruitment thread, I want us to go to the draft to address our needs, and keep our strengths.

I'm with you Great Ex

Unless there's an amazing player on offer to fill a need, and it costs us our 2nd rounder, then use the first 2 picks in the draft.

Voss knows what he's got and what he needs. I'm sure Voss will move on the players who cant execute his directives.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 110  Next