Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 110  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
Lace Out wrote:
Martin in his prime was as good as it gets in finals.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

And so was the dominator … some might have to go back through their vhs tapes to remind themselves of how good Johnno was on the big stage …

Very unlucky not to have at least two Norm Smith Medals.

The 1982 Norm Smith Medal should definitely be Johnston’s.

Yes to all the above

Martin is a great. Dominator is the greatest. That's all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teague's 2021 Carlton defeated Freo by 45 points
Voss' 2022 Carlton lost to Freo by 35 points.

80 point turnaround

NEW PLAYERS:

Freo Clark and Bodie
Carlton: Hewett Cerra Young

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:43 am 
Craig Bradley

The Boss would want to come up with an answer for our rebound game, toot flower sweet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Teague's 2021 Carlton defeated Freo by 45 points
Voss' 2022 Carlton lost to Freo by 35 points.

80 point turnaround

NEW PLAYERS:

Freo Clark and Bodie
Carlton: Hewett Cerra Young

Sakc Voss

Mind you we played them twice in Melbourne last year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:27 am 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/04/25/ ... m-round-6/

Buckley's view:

3. Percentage is a great guide

“We’ve got enough data now, six games in, we’ve got enough of a guide, and percentage is what you want to look for.”

“The only team in the top eight without a percentage of 100 is Carlton, the only team out of the top eight with a percentage above 100 is the Bulldogs.

“I think Carlton are the most vulnerable side in the top eight.

“Everyone says that they’re such a great stoppage side, they’re middle of the road for scores from stoppage.

“So it is their stronger point to their scoring, but it’s not great against the rest of the competition.

“They need to fix their transition footy first and foremost… when they attack they need to be able to defend better as a unit behind it, and when they’re defending, they need to be able to move the ball with more effectiveness from the back half.

“It can happen (mid-season), but right now they’ve won games off the back of bursts of football from clearance, and that’s why everyone sees that their clearance is strong, and aerial dominance in their forward 50.

“It’s something that can easily come and go, and it’s something that we’ve seen in their games.

“Their defenders are holding up really well, a lot of their name players through the middle are performing well, Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay, I don’t reckon you can get more out of the individuals at the moment.

“So then collectively, they’re not really gelling over a four quarter performance.

“What we’re seeing is that their best is exceptional, and that’s a great thing to have… all you have to do, and this where the work has to be done by the coaching group, by the club, by the players themselves, is to continue to bump up your average performance.

“And the way you do that is your low level needs to improve, and that takes time, we can’t be expecting that at this stage with a new coaching structure, it takes time for that to be established.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:35 am 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/04/25/the-buck-stops-here-buckleys-five-takeaways-from-round-6/

Buckley's view:

“We’ve got enough data now, six games in, we’ve got enough of a guide, and percentage is what you want to look for.”

“The only team in the top eight without a percentage of 100 is Carlton, the only team out of the top eight with a percentage above 100 is the Bulldogs.

“Everyone says that they’re such a great stoppage side, they’re middle of the road for scores from stoppage.

“So it is their stronger point to their scoring, but it’s not great against the rest of the competition.

“They need to fix their transition footy first and foremost… when they attack they need to be able to defend better as a unit behind it, and when they’re defending, they need to be able to move the ball with more effectiveness from the back half.

“It can happen (mid-season), but right now they’ve won games off the back of bursts of football from clearance, and that’s why everyone sees that their clearance is strong, and aerial dominance in their forward 50.

“It’s something that can easily come and go, and it’s something that we’ve seen in their games.

“Their defenders are holding up really well, a lot of their name players through the middle are performing well, Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay, I don’t reckon you can get more out of the individuals at the moment.

“So then collectively, they’re not really gelling over a four quarter performance.

“What we’re seeing is that their best is exceptional, and that’s a great thing to have… all you have to do, and this where the work has to be done by the coaching group, by the club, by the players themselves, is to continue to bump up your average performance.

“And the way you do that is your low level needs to improve, and that takes time, we can’t be expecting that at this stage with a new coaching structure, it takes time for that to be established.”

I generally appreciate Buckleys analysis and comments and agree totally especially with the last statement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Over to you and your coaching team to work out how we get to finals this year.

We've lost Pitto and gained Hewett Cerra and Young, and may add Marchbank and Cuningham.

We won 8 games last year. We have 4 games in the bank thus far after 6 rounds.

If the MC can't find a way to beat North, we have stagnated after a good start for the club.

Then I'd say we will struggle to get to 8 let alone 12 for Finals with bottom teams Crows Druggies, Giants...well, everyone below us improving and on the rise.

It couldn't happen....could it? :yikes:

Come on Blues

We weren't that bad against Frep having watched the game a couple more times. Just some loose checking and our bottom 8 made a lot of mistakes with effort and judgement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

Effes wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/04/25/the-buck-stops-here-buckleys-five-takeaways-from-round-6/

Buckley's view:

It’s hard to disagree with all that.

The Pittonet injury isn’t going to make things easier, but we still have a lot of scope for improvement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I was thinking about how physical and strong at the contest the Lions have been since Chris Fagan took over Lions from Leppitsch; not his first year, but thereafter.

I was thinking about the ruthless nature of the Lions players under captain Michael Voss. They would hold grudges.

I was thinking about what 'old' Carlton would do to someone who deliberately set out to hurt their ruckman, lets say Nichols, or Trevor Keogh? Like Darcy did to Pitto.

I was thinking who we have that has that Voss mongrel.

I concluded with "Vossy has only been here for 6 games..." I assume that will come....its the other layer.

Then I wondered who he would bring into the team....then saw 19yo Kyssaia Pickett on TV and concluded:

We have our version, and he's 19yo...time to unleash Motlop, and encourage mongrel and unsocial footy. That way we find out whose up for the contest in the business half of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

Stocker is pretty unsocial

I do like that about him

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:00 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Darcy having his head stood on and subbed off due to concussion an "accident"?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

I have been so impressed with Vossy at every media event he has attended so far as Coach. Whether it be on a TV show or pre/post game interviews he has been near on perfect.

He is calm and polite and natural. There are no histrionics or poor form when things haven't gone well. He just answers the question in a civil, sensible manner and moves on. His post match interviews have been a great selling point for the Club. He is honest and positive with the journo's and I think as a result, they like talking with him.

What's the old saying - 'You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.'

80,000+ members seems to suggest there are plenty like me who are loving what he brings every week.

Go Blues.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

I agree Cazzes. He's come a long way since his Brisbane days.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:
I have been so impressed with Vossy at every media event he has attended so far as Coach. Whether it be on a TV show or pre/post game interviews he has been near on perfect.

He is calm and polite and natural. There are no histrionics or poor form when things haven't gone well. He just answers the question in a civil, sensible manner and moves on. His post match interviews have been a great selling point for the Club. He is honest and positive with the journo's and I think as a result, they like talking with him.

What's the old saying - 'You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.'

80,000+ members seems to suggest there are plenty like me who are loving what he brings every week.

Go Blues.

Regards Cazzesman

Yeah , i reckon that sums up Voss perfectly . He represents the Club beautifully .

PS.................still reckon he has that menace . The Journo's seem reluctant to go Voss . Pity the bloke who does coz underneath that calm exterior there is the leopards don't change there spots Voss . Somewhere , someplace , someone's gonna cop it .

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

Love him !!

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

grrofunger wrote:
Love him !!

Same.
I was unsure about his appointment initially but I think the club got it spot on.
We are lucky to have him and hopefully he has a long, successful coaching career with us.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:39 pm 
formerly Fevola

He has this determination and really wants to succeed. Exactly what we need. No agendas. Happy we didnt get Clarkson. Clarkson will only come back to win a premiership. Oh ok cause its that easy.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Drewgirl wrote:
He has this determination and really wants to succeed. Exactly what we need. No agendas. Happy we didnt get Clarkson. Clarkson will only come back to win a premiership. Oh ok cause its that easy.

The highlighted part sums it up. Vossy is a winner. Nobody would have hated the way his time in Brisbane ended more than him. Nobody would be more driven to make amends than him. He is the type who wouldn't be scared to take a step back as he did by going to Port as an assistant and learn as much as he could to ensure that when he gets another opportunity, he would be the best coach he could possibly be.
Unlike others who resort to a doping scheme or crack the sads, he swallowed his pride, put in the hard work as he did in his playing career and has given himself and thankfully us, the best chance of success going forward.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:57 pm 
formerly Fevola

Yep i feel that Malthouse, Pagan, Clarkson etc would only come back to stick it up someone. They got success already and feel entitled. I am happy with the choice we made with Voss. Not saying its guaranteed success but its was the right way to go.

I think Buckley is another that a club would have been happy with as he did not have success. But he is a massive figjam so not sure.

Watch Clarkson come to GWS and get paid an absolute bucket load by the AFL. He thinks he will have instant success. Obviously when we approached him, it was all too hard dealing with a team that has been crap for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Drewgirl wrote:
Yep i feel that Malthouse, Pagan, Clarkson etc would only come back to stick it up someone. They got success already and feel entitled. I am happy with the choice we made with Voss. Not saying its guaranteed success but its was the right way to go.

:thumbsup:
Spot on.
Although I wish someone would let him know something and anything don't have a K on the end. :grin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 110  Next