Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 am 
Geoff Southby

Well done CFC . Get the off field right and everything flows from there . Cook was the bloke we always wanted . Swann was second dibs . For the first time in a long time i actually think we are turning the corner . Yeah , i shitcanned Sayer's . Been around for ten years so he was part of the mess . Well , he's in the drivers seat now and he's put the pedal to the metal . He aint mucking' around . Truth be known he's probably a shithouse back seat driver but put him behind the wheel and he blossoms . So , good on you Sayer's for having a redhot go . Doing something is better than sitting like a paralysed rabbit waiting to be blown to smithereens ........................i could not be happier . .......................i reckon we need one more ex player on the board . Love Sticks back there . Love SOS to come back . But the younger blokes like Prender , Simon White , Jammo , yeah , they would be great also . I reckon Cook will become heavily involved in all aspects of the Club onfield and offield . Cook gets things right . A great decision maker ..................but the greatest thing Cook does is he brings people together . He unites people and has them rowing in the one direction . Cook makes people feel good about themselves whether you are the boot studder or the lady on the phone . Cook makes people feel valued and important . Cook makes people feel they are an integral part of the organisation . ...................A fantastic get for mine .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:42 am 
Geoff Southby

P S ................with regards to Cooks age . Well , i'm nearly ten years older than Cook and i still work full time and have never felt better . And i will continue working till i can't work anymore or till i die whichever comes first . Its great to wake up in the morning and have something to look forward to .....................Cook has heaps of life about him . Got the get up and go of blokes half his age .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:48 am 
Geoff Southby

murraycray wrote:
Excellent news. Now I'd like to see SOS return to the fold. In whatever capacity !
Carltonfc Ambassador maybe ? I don't care, just get him back in.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:50 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
azzablue wrote:
keogh wrote:
We all know of Cook’s ability to unite people for the common cause.
His record is second to none.
My reservation is his age and his length of tenure.
The club is a dogs breakfast at the moment
His record at both West Coast and Geelong was built over more than 3 years.
It won’t be an instant success thing
But yes his record in getting organizations to unite and work together is second to none
We are desperate for stability
Can we poach Wells as well

This is all about sending a foundation , structure and credibility

And no better way to start than getting cook across who can implement this

He turned Geelong around ... and got the whole club to buy in all together

Don't see it as a negative Azza. That is Keoghs version of blissful delirium.
Compared to 99% of his posts, that's unbridled joy.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:00 am 
Geoff Southby

Cook starts mid October
Does he sit on the sub committee to appoint the next coach or does the club assume that Clarkson is now a certainty
So Cook misses on having input to the restricted and unrestricted trade window plus the trade period

Cook’ greatest strengths is getting people working together and balancing the books which he did at Geelong from 1999

What about his footy knowledge
How does he address our midfield depth
What does he think we should do with pick 6 and 25
Does he have knowledge on who should be captain( it should be Weitering)
Cook will have to put up with McGovern, Martin, Williams and Saad earning big bucks in his 3 year tenure and the possibility of these blokes churning out more shit footy
In his time at Geelong he was able to construct a player payment structure that meant players took pay cuts to keep the list under the cap
He wont have that luxury at Carlton
I doubt he will be at Carlton for 22 years
Put simply he has his work cut out

Etc
Etc
Make no mistake Geelong have been successful on field for so long because of Stephen Wells
No argument there
I would have preferred the club seek a CEO with a similar background to Cook before he entered the AFL in 1990 when he was in his mid thirties
Having Cook doesn’t guarantee success
Shouldn’t we all have learnt that given the last 2 decades
Let’s just wait and see what happens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:09 am 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
P S ................with regards to Cooks age . Well , i'm nearly ten years older than Cook and i still work full time and have never felt better . And i will continue working till i can't work anymore or till i die whichever comes first . Its great to wake up in the morning and have something to look forward to .....................Cook has heaps of life about him . Got the get up and go of blokes half his age .

Agree with all that but wouldn’t be better to employ the next Brian Cook when there 40

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:28 am 
Rod Ashman

On Crunchtime, Kane Cornes was very bullish about this appointment.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:50 am 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Agree with all that but wouldn’t be better to employ the next Brian Cook when there 40

Yep , sure would . But you have to start somewhere . No doubt they will have a young buck earmarked sitting right next to Cook learning the ropes . Trick is finding the right young buck . I complete faith in Cook who will sort out the wheat from the chaff . I get where you are coming from " K " and i see why you are concerned as our track record for the last twenty years is shit . But i reckon for a change there gonna get this right . Its only a gut feeling , but i just sense it .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:54 am 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
keogh wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Yep , sure would . But you have to start somewhere . No doubt they will have a young buck earmarked sitting right next to Cook learning the ropes . Trick is finding the right young buck . I complete faith in Cook who will sort out the wheat from the chaff . I get where you are coming from " K " and i see why you are concerned as our track record for the last twenty years is shit . But i reckon for a change there gonna get this right . Its only a gut feeling , but i just sense it .

Good point you make
Look I think Cook is the best footy administrator that there has ever been
I just hope he goes up to Sayers one day soon and says
“ Your paying Zac Williams all this money over 6 years. You don’t win flags doing this sort of shit”.
Might bring a reality check to a few flower who need it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:14 pm 
Bob Chitty

keogh wrote:
Cook starts mid October
Does he sit on the sub committee to appoint the next coach or does the club assume that Clarkson is now a certainty
So Cook misses on having input to the restricted and unrestricted trade window plus the trade period

Cook’ greatest strengths is getting people working together and balancing the books which he did at Geelong from 1999

What about his footy knowledge
How does he address our midfield depth
What does he think we should do with pick 6 and 25
Does he have knowledge on who should be captain( it should be Weitering)
Cook will have to put up with McGovern, Martin, Williams and Saad earning big bucks in his 3 year tenure and the possibility of these blokes churning out more shit footy
In his time at Geelong he was able to construct a player payment structure that meant players took pay cuts to keep the list under the cap
He wont have that luxury at Carlton
I doubt he will be at Carlton for 22 years
Put simply he has his work cut out

Etc
Etc
Make no mistake Geelong have been successful on field for so long because of Stephen Wells
No argument there
I would have preferred the club seek a CEO with a similar background to Cook before he entered the AFL in 1990 when he was in his mid thirties
Having Cook doesn’t guarantee success
Shouldn’t we all have learnt that given the last 2 decades
Let’s just wait and see what happens

What is the link between Cook and Clarkson that everyone references?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

Clarkson wouldn’t want to go to an unstable club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

Lowey_47 wrote:
Carlton dealt crushing blow with Cook only signing for 3 years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:

I keep reading that line in the Herald Sun, and nowhere else.

Its a constant line they throw into nearly every Carlton story.

Shits me no end because there's no source for the information...not even Clarkson.

I think it suits some people's narrative.

When word got out about Cook coming to Carlton almost 3 weeks ago, the same newspaper suggested Cook wouldn't come to Carlton to finish off his illustrious career because of all the "upheavel", "unstable board", " a board wielding too much power", yet there's not one quote from Cook suggesting anything of the sort. Not one. Ditto Clarkson.

And then after 3 weeks of made up shit about Carlton, presto, here's Cook.

Keogh, you pitch your post as fact. That comment is more of the same makey uppey stuff from you and your sources in the media.

Get real. How about some facts. How about a few "IMO"'s after a sentence.

Looks to me Sayers is delivering to ensure every part of Carlton is high performance based. Sounds good to me, and I believed it the moment of his first presser after the sacking of an unsuccessful coach.

Lets wait and see what transpires after the Gf to see what Sayers delivers and who the next coach is....and I bet you will never here Clarkson say he didn't want to go to carlton because it was an unstable club.

Sayers has been courting Clarkson for 5 months, that we know of, well before the Mitchell announcement.

Lets remember Clarkson has no cash flow pressures and will be paid a million bucks for taking a year off work. Have you considered that may be the reason Clarkson isn't taking on any coaching role?

Last edited by bondiblue on Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

I am indifferently enthusatic about this signature.
Carlton has had a plethora of key signatures over the last 20 years.
Namely:
D. Pagan
R. Pratt
G. Swann
M. Malthouse
S. Trigg
A. Russell
Let's hope this one has the Midas Touch.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:35 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Patience Keogh - part of the strategy is to do that .....come in....set up.....mentor that 40 year old for the next 22 years

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:

Oh yeah...the question you replied to was from Menzel Mahem

Quote:
What is the link between Cook and Clarkson that everyone references?

The correct answer is, no one has any source for the connection but it has become folklore since some Jon Ralph mentioned it in ...surprise surprise, the Herald Sun.

Carlton stories, made up or not, attract clicks and sell papers. Nuff said.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

london blue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Patience Keogh - part of the strategy is to do that .....come in....set up.....mentor that 40 year old for the next 22 years

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:03 pm 
Horrie Clover

Cazzesman wrote:
thryleon wrote:
Until we get results im keeping my powder dry. Swann was one of the best in the business and he couldn't get us going.

Im sick of getting excited only to find out we signed someone who took the job for the wrong reasons.

Sad sack :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regards Cazzesman

You can blame our clubs behaviour over the last 20 years for this sentiment.

Yes this time for sure...

Or it could be like the last few times I said that, like when we went through a process, appointed Bolton to lead us through the sos led rebuild, or when we got Judd, or when ratten returned.

Actually when ratten took over we looked about the same. Lots of first round draft picks, Murphy and Gibbs, the kreuzer cup, fev, Judd, stevens. The flag looked right there. Until it wasn't.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

CFC8795 wrote:
On Crunchtime, Kane Cornes was very bullish about this appointment.
Go Blues!

Amazing how cornes had changed his tune , last week we were a rabble under his so called qualified eyes

We blues supporters have long memories , now we need the coach and then performances on the field to follow

And the afl world will eat humble pie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:39 pm 
formerly Fevola

SEN Picks and Hutchy this morning.

Well Carlton got Brian Cook.
Oh well I liked Cain. But if they had to get rid of him and get someone, then Brian Cook is good.
But why would they only give him a title of CEO. Surely it should be a better title like National Manager?
And surely he doesnt roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty at his age.
I though Cain was doing a great job wasn’t he. I liked him.

Omg the rubbish…….

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next