Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:59 am 
Harry Vallence

Who is condom head and why do they have that nickname?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

Is he up to the task?

Seems to have gone underground.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

I have to believe Cook has it under control and knows what he is doing. If rumours are true, he doesn't rate our list management and control of Salary Cap. I reckon this will lead us to letting players like TDK & McGovern go and maybe 1 or 2 others.

We need more picks and Salary Cap relief. I expect 8-10 List changes at years end

I expect major changes to Football Department especially around Lloyd and the Assistant Coaches. Voss needs a mature head to support him (like Balme did with Hardwick and Fagan with Clarkson) and a Smart tactician

I see this as a refresh and not a rebuild. A lot has improved especially off field over the last few years and even on field. We just need to right some wrongs

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

Traveller86 wrote:
Is he up to the task?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cook_(football_administrator)

Quote:
West Coast Eagles
Cook was appointed as CEO of the West Coast Eagles in 1990 and during his nine years at the Eagles, the club quadrupled its membership, dramatically increased revenue and became the first non-Victorian club to win the AFL premiership in 1992 and again in winning the 1994 premiership. Both successes were achieved against Geelong.[5][6] Cook during his tenure as CEO of the Eagles also provided strong support to West Coast Eagles senior coach Mick Malthouse as one of the factor's for the Eagles on-field performance success in reaching finals in every year.[7] At the end of the 1998 season, Cook quit his position as CEO of the West Coast Eagles.[8] Cook was then replaced by Trevor Nisbett as CEO of the West Coast Eagles.

Geelong Football Club
Cook was then appointed as CEO of the Geelong Football Club in 1999.[9] At the end of the 1999 season, Cook informed then-Geelong Football Club senior coach Gary Ayres that the club would not grant him a contract extension beyond the 2000 season by stating “We are in a world of pain financially, things aren’t travelling all that well … we are not really in a position to extend any contracts”.[10] Cook then later oversaw a complete overhaul of the once-struggling club's finances in his tenure, as well as being a key supporter of former senior coach Mark Thompson along with club president Frank Costa.[11] Cook also oversaw Geelong's three AFL premiership victories in 2007, 2009 and 2011.[12]

Cook also oversaw an era for the Geelong Football Club that experienced finals football in 16 of their last 18 seasons as well as 13 top four finishes between 2004 and 2021, including the three premierships during that time. That on-field success has been mirrored by performance off the field, with Cook leading a four-stage redevelopment of GMHBA Stadium also known as Kardinia Park, while also ballooning the Cats’ turnover from $16 to $60 million during his tenure.[13]

Cook has been suggested as a potential future Australian Football League CEO[14] and was also suggested as a possible CEO for the new expansion teams, Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney.[15]

At the conclusion of the 2021 AFL season, Cook left his position as CEO of the Geelong Football Club after 23 years, and was replaced by Steve Hocking.

I'd say he's up to it.
The better question is, are we patient enough?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

FarmerBlue wrote:
I have to believe Cook has it under control and knows what he is doing. If rumours are true, he doesn't rate our list management and control of Salary Cap. I reckon this will lead us to letting players like TDK & McGovern go and maybe 1 or 2 others.

We need more picks and Salary Cap relief. I expect 8-10 List changes at years end

I expect major changes to Football Department especially around Lloyd and the Assistant Coaches. Voss needs a mature head to support him (like Balme did with Hardwick and Fagan with Clarkson) and a Smart tactician

I see this as a refresh and not a rebuild. A lot has improved especially off field over the last few years and even on field. We just need to right some wrongs

Agree with all this Farmer. Hopefully Cookie could entice someone like Brenton Sanderson to come across. Voss may not be able to keep Aaron Greaves or Tim Clarke either. And get Mark Stone out of Brisbane as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:
Is he up to the task?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cook_(football_administrator)

Quote:
West Coast Eagles
Cook was appointed as CEO of the West Coast Eagles in 1990 and during his nine years at the Eagles, the club quadrupled its membership, dramatically increased revenue and became the first non-Victorian club to win the AFL premiership in 1992 and again in winning the 1994 premiership. Both successes were achieved against Geelong.[5][6] Cook during his tenure as CEO of the Eagles also provided strong support to West Coast Eagles senior coach Mick Malthouse as one of the factor's for the Eagles on-field performance success in reaching finals in every year.[7] At the end of the 1998 season, Cook quit his position as CEO of the West Coast Eagles.[8] Cook was then replaced by Trevor Nisbett as CEO of the West Coast Eagles.

Geelong Football Club
Cook was then appointed as CEO of the Geelong Football Club in 1999.[9] At the end of the 1999 season, Cook informed then-Geelong Football Club senior coach Gary Ayres that the club would not grant him a contract extension beyond the 2000 season by stating “We are in a world of pain financially, things aren’t travelling all that well … we are not really in a position to extend any contracts”.[10] Cook then later oversaw a complete overhaul of the once-struggling club's finances in his tenure, as well as being a key supporter of former senior coach Mark Thompson along with club president Frank Costa.[11] Cook also oversaw Geelong's three AFL premiership victories in 2007, 2009 and 2011.[12]

Cook also oversaw an era for the Geelong Football Club that experienced finals football in 16 of their last 18 seasons as well as 13 top four finishes between 2004 and 2021, including the three premierships during that time. That on-field success has been mirrored by performance off the field, with Cook leading a four-stage redevelopment of GMHBA Stadium also known as Kardinia Park, while also ballooning the Cats’ turnover from $16 to $60 million during his tenure.[13]

Cook has been suggested as a potential future Australian Football League CEO[14] and was also suggested as a possible CEO for the new expansion teams, Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney.[15]

At the conclusion of the 2021 AFL season, Cook left his position as CEO of the Geelong Football Club after 23 years, and was replaced by Steve Hocking.

I'd say he's up to it.
The better question is, are we patient enough?

Oh I know he's the best in the business.

But I worry that he may check out as he's approaching retirement age and that not even he can fix the Carlton Football Club lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I know someone who’s been very close to the Geelong board for a long time. When Cook signed with us he said “You can have him. He’s done!”

He said similar about Fogarty after his first few excellent games for us and we’ve barely seen him since.

I wrote it all off as sour grapes at the time but he has me worried now. :sad:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
I know someone who’s been very close to the Geelong board for a long time. When Cook signed with us he said “You can have him. He’s done!”:

Have heard the same.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
GWS wrote:
I know someone who’s been very close to the Geelong board for a long time. When Cook signed with us he said “You can have him. He’s done!”:

Have heard the same.

Was he in a swimming pool at the time?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:42 pm 
Horrie Clover

FarmerBlue wrote:

We have the foundation, even though Weiters has been down as has Mckay.

We could turn things around if we get the right players in quickly- no star power nonsense, just 4/5 players that are B+

Jack Martin and Zac Williams have killed us. Not their fault, when they play they make a difference- rebound out of the back 50 and a goal sneak who dosent need much of it to do damage. They were recruited to fill these roles but can't get on the park.

Martin still has another year but I imagine will be gone at the end of next year. I wouldn't be suprised if Zac Williams gets a tap on the shoulder and is asked to move as well, both extremely talented but cant get on the park no fault of their own. We can't build a team around guys who can't play.

This year is total right now, time to start planning....

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:29 am 
Geoff Southby

GWS wrote:
I know someone who’s been very close to the Geelong board for a long time. When Cook signed with us he said “You can have him. He’s done!”

He said similar about Fogarty after his first few excellent games for us and we’ve barely seen him since.

I wrote it all off as sour grapes at the time but he has me worried now. :sad:

Unless he has dementia I can hardly see how he could be done.
Plus his tenure was only going to be a couple of years to get the ball rolling, set things up and impart his knowledge into our club and its systems.
A little bit different to a player IMO.
And IIRC, Geelong weren't too happy with him leaving at the time.
Sour grapes maybe.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

He could be done because he just doesn't have the energy for it anymore and wants to go grow roses or some shit. People phone in jobs all the time when their heart isn't in it.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:56 am 
Geoff Southby

On that I'd agree with.
However, he doesn't strike me as the kind of person that would offer himself for a short period and not commit to it.
Two years is a pretty short stint to make massive changes, so I doubt the pressure is that great on him and maybe his second year was more as an advisory role.
Which is something he alluded to upon his appointment.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:38 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
On that I'd agree with.
However, he doesn't strike me as the kind of person that would offer himself for a short period and not commit to it.
Two years is a pretty short stint to make massive changes, so I doubt the pressure is that great on him and maybe his second year was more as an advisory role.
Which is something he alluded to upon his appointment.

Which is cool. And we don't see what happens in the back room - but if that was the case he would surely be identifying and grooming his replacement. Haven't heard boo from a mouse this year.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:53 am 
Harry Vallence

I'm hearing he wants to extend his stay with us for an extra 2 years.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:57 am 
Geoff Southby

If deano is on the money then that would explain why we haven't seen a replacement being groomed.
It also puts to bed any theories his heart isn't in it anymore.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:21 am 
Geoff Southby

deano35 wrote:

Hope so . Whats this thing about his age ? i'm five years older than Cook and i'm still on the payroll . Never felt better . Cook looks as fit as a fiddle to me . And not weary , tired , or burnt out by a long way . The bloke has got plenty left in the tank . Still has a heap to offer and we are lucky to have such a highly esteemed man in our ranks .................... stop looking for chinks you blokes . Get around him .

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:49 am 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
deano35 wrote:

Hope so . Whats this thing about his age ? i'm five years older than Cook and i'm still on the payroll . Never felt better . Cook looks as fit as a fiddle to me . And not weary , tired , or burnt out by a long way . The bloke has got plenty left in the tank . Still has a heap to offer and we are lucky to have such a highly esteemed man in our ranks .................... stop looking for chinks you blokes . Get around him .

:clap:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
GWS wrote:

Have heard the same.

Cooked?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next