Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:45 pm 
John Nicholls

:lol:

If you shift your perspective, it's actually enjoyable hearing them banging on like clueless twits. Which they always do of course, it's just that we invariably give them reason to do so. Now they continue banging on like clueless twits (as you'd expect) but we can have a laugh rather than get angry. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

Drewgirl wrote:
SEN Picks and Hutchy this morning.

Well Carlton got Brian Cook.
Oh well I liked Cain. But if they had to get rid of him and get someone, then Brian Cook is good.
But why would they only give him a title of CEO. Surely it should be a better title like National Manager?
And surely he doesnt roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty at his age.
I though Cain was doing a great job wasn’t he. I liked him.

Omg the rubbish…….

I stopped listening to SEN years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kezza wrote:
Drewgirl wrote:
SEN Picks and Hutchy this morning.

Well Carlton got Brian Cook.
Oh well I liked Cain. But if they had to get rid of him and get someone, then Brian Cook is good.
But why would they only give him a title of CEO. Surely it should be a better title like National Manager?
And surely he doesnt roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty at his age.
I though Cain was doing a great job wasn’t he. I liked him.

Omg the rubbish…….

I stopped listening to SEN years ago.

We all know Leon has an axe to grind and Hutchy is just an idiot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

I rarely listen or read any media these days as well
I do think that the chances of getting Clarkson have increased with Cooks appointment.
That’s a fair inference to make.
Not that I personally want Clarkson. I want the best coach whoever it is.
Cook must be there on the panel. No brainer. How does that happen if he is not there til mid October

Fair question
You betcha
We have been an absolute basket case
Let’s hope regardless that Cook brings some stability and perspective

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:14 pm 
Bob Chitty

This is a no lose situation.

He is either a massive success and gets the club back into lime, his experience tells you he can do it.

If he can't, then we know the club is forever doomed and the board wields too much power amd it will never change and we can all give up on the club.

Either way, I'm happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Agree with all that but wouldn’t be better to employ the next Brian Cook when there 40

Too true and I’m sure you’ll be able to tell us who that was in about 25 years… :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
Cook starts mid October
Does he sit on the sub committee to appoint the next coach or does the club assume that Clarkson is now a certainty
So Cook misses on having input to the restricted and unrestricted trade window plus the trade period

Cook’ greatest strengths is getting people working together and balancing the books which he did at Geelong from 1999

What about his footy knowledge
How does he address our midfield depth
What does he think we should do with pick 6 and 25
Does he have knowledge on who should be captain( it should be Weitering)
Cook will have to put up with McGovern, Martin, Williams and Saad earning big bucks in his 3 year tenure and the possibility of these blokes churning out more shit footy
In his time at Geelong he was able to construct a player payment structure that meant players took pay cuts to keep the list under the cap
He wont have that luxury at Carlton
I doubt he will be at Carlton for 22 years
Put simply he has his work cut out

Etc
Etc
Make no mistake Geelong have been successful on field for so long because of Stephen Wells
No argument there
I would have preferred the club seek a CEO with a similar background to Cook before he entered the AFL in 1990 when he was in his mid thirties
Having Cook doesn’t guarantee success
Shouldn’t we all have learnt that given the last 2 decades
Let’s just wait and see what happens

My goodness me! We have appointed a guy who has shown he knows how to make a club successful. So say it....Well done Sayers
As for the rest, as you've said, we will have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

I think its a flawed way of looking at things

like searching for the next Shakespeare or Einstein or Da Vince etc... Its what movie people do, and publishers etc. Its why there can be an excellent novel published and then thirty million poor imitation of that excellent novel.
There are no "next"...

there are people who are good at stuff. I think Cook is one of them. The club appears to have a solid base now to take advantage of that good person. I am excited.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cook clearly wants a new challenge
He is one shrewd operator
What many on this site fail to fully acknowledge how [REDACTED] we have been

As I said one of his great successes at Catland was to have far better players on smaller contracts to keep them
Nearly won them a flag in 2020
He doesn’t have the control to do that at Carlton

How can anyone justify Williams Martin McGoverns and Saad’s contracts
Go on try it
How is Cook going to be involved in having midfield depth that we are so far off getting

Does he believe we trade away picks for maturity like we did with disaster this year

He has a far greater challenge on his hands at Carlton than he had at WC and Geelong
I hope 3 things happen
He brings the place together
He finally provides perspective on how to build onfield success so we have no more ridiculous Williams payments or McGovern trades
He can earmarked the next CEO who will be younger
He is 66 in November

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
Clarkson wouldn’t want to go to an unstable club

I keep reading that line in the Herald Sun, and nowhere else.

Its a constant line they throw into nearly every Carlton story.

Shits me no end because there's no source for the information...not even Clarkson.

I think it suits some people's narrative.

When word got out about Cook coming to Carlton almost 3 weeks ago, the same newspaper suggested Cook wouldn't come to Carlton to finish off his illustrious career because of all the "upheavel", "unstable board", " a board wielding too much power", yet there's not one quote from Cook suggesting anything of the sort. Not one. Ditto Clarkson.

And then after 3 weeks of made up shit about Carlton, presto, here's Cook.

Keogh, you pitch your post as fact. That comment is more of the same makey uppey stuff from you and your sources in the media.

Get real. How about some facts. How about a few "IMO"'s after a sentence.

Looks to me Sayers is delivering to ensure every part of Carlton is high performance based. Sounds good to me, and I believed it the moment of his first presser after the sacking of an unsuccessful coach.

Lets wait and see what transpires after the Gf to see what Sayers delivers and who the next coach is....and I bet you will never here Clarkson say he didn't want to go to carlton because it was an unstable club.

Sayers has been courting Clarkson for 5 months, that we know of, well before the Mitchell announcement.

Lets remember Clarkson has no cash flow pressures and will be paid a million bucks for taking a year off work. Have you considered that may be the reason Clarkson isn't taking on any coaching role?

Well said BB. :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

thryleon wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
thryleon wrote:
Until we get results im keeping my powder dry. Swann was one of the best in the business and he couldn't get us going.

Im sick of getting excited only to find out we signed someone who took the job for the wrong reasons.

Sad sack :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regards Cazzesman

You can blame our clubs behaviour over the last 20 years for this sentiment.

Yes this time for sure...

Or it could be like the last few times I said that, like when we went through a process, appointed Bolton to lead us through the sos led rebuild, or when we got Judd, or when ratten returned.

Actually when ratten took over we looked about the same. Lots of first round draft picks, Murphy and Gibbs, the kreuzer cup, fev, Judd, stevens. The flag looked right there. Until it wasn't.

If you look at life in a negative fashion then.........................................you become Keogh MkII.....................and having said that ...........even he has given us all a glimmer/smidgen/minuscule/pint sized positive response to the announcement of Mr Cook, so that must be something to write home about.

That has never happened in the history of TC. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The worst Keogh could say was 'why didn't we find our own 40 year old Mr Cook?' Like they grow on trees. I think the answer to that is Mr Cook will be finding his own mini-me to anoint. :thumbsup:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cook is here for three years . And that three years will set us up for the next twenty years . The bloke is not a narrow shallow flash in the pan sort of fellow . He is ROCK solid . His impact is gonna be felt for a long long time . He is not the take the money and run sort of bloke . The man has PRIDE and that pride will not allow failure .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:30 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:
I rarely listen or read any media these days as well
I do think that the chances of getting Clarkson have increased with Cooks appointment.
That’s a fair inference to make.
Not that I personally want Clarkson. I want the best coach whoever it is.
Cook must be there on the panel. No brainer. How does that happen if he is not there til mid October

Fair question
You betcha
We have been an absolute basket case
Let’s hope regardless that Cook brings some stability and perspective

Of course Cook will have a say on the coach, regardless of when starts. He’s on good coin and he’s been in the conversation for a while.
No sweat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:58 pm 
Trevor Keogh

I've read every post. Looks like my meds are working! IMO it's a good move but, of course, we'll have to wait and see. I'm enjoying what everyone has to say; they're all valid points and concerns. The way Carlton is at the moment we're damned if we do and damned if we don't, so why not get someone like Brian Cook. We've got nothing to lose. I'm not a fan of Cornes but he has softened his view on Carlton, maybe by instruction. I think the real news will arrive after the Grand Final and there won't be any more speculation. I very well may be wrong but Alistair Clarkson may be still in the picture. May. He's changed his mind before and he may be just winding down and reassessing on a day to day basis. He turned down the offer but was impressed with Carlton's list, so that suggests to me he may be open but he will dictate this on his own terms. I understand the club are now leaving him alone but the door is open if he changes his mind.

I don't mind Voss. I'm not sold on Chris Scott and it's good that Brad has made the right decision for himself.

I'm not unhappy that Teague is not coaching but the club showed zero support for him, not really giving him an opportunity to alter his faults. Say, into the review he approaches the people he answers to and asks how his job looks. They tell him, 'It's not great, but if you change "this and this" it will be better for you going forward.' I think he would've listened and given himself every chance to improve in a very short time. That wasn't afforded him like I think it should've. Anyway, I look forward to some more good news and I hope everyone is well.

Last round Carlton made the final four for the first time.

Eventual premiers.

That's what I'm talking about!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

Good result.
Personally I hope Chris Scott follows him.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:03 pm 
Robert Walls

GWS wrote:
keogh wrote:
Agree with all that but wouldn’t be better to employ the next Brian Cook when there 40

Too true and I’m sure you’ll be able to tell us who that was in about 25 years… :lol:

:clap:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:
thryleon wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
thryleon wrote:
Until we get results im keeping my powder dry. Swann was one of the best in the business and he couldn't get us going.

Im sick of getting excited only to find out we signed someone who took the job for the wrong reasons.

Sad sack :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regards Cazzesman

You can blame our clubs behaviour over the last 20 years for this sentiment.

Yes this time for sure...

Or it could be like the last few times I said that, like when we went through a process, appointed Bolton to lead us through the sos led rebuild, or when we got Judd, or when ratten returned.

Actually when ratten took over we looked about the same. Lots of first round draft picks, Murphy and Gibbs, the kreuzer cup, fev, Judd, stevens. The flag looked right there. Until it wasn't.

If you look at life in a negative fashion then.........................................you become Keogh MkII.....................and having said that ...........even he has given us all a glimmer/smidgen/minuscule/pint sized positive response to the announcement of Mr Cook, so that must be something to write home about.

That has never happened in the history of TC. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The worst Keogh could say was 'why didn't we find our own 40 year old Mr Cook?' Like they grow on trees. I think the answer to that is Mr Cook will be finding his own mini-me to anoint. :thumbsup:

Regards Cazzesman

As I have said to you before I’m actually a really positive guy with a positive outlook on life
A poster who has met you described you as grumpy
Everyone is entitled to an opinion
And pick out the bits to suit your argument
I have given 3 potential scenarios on how Cook will be good for the club

So tell me Cazzeman
Answer these two questions
1 How does any CEO help to solve the number one problem we have on field
Midfield depth
2 what would you do with pick 6 and 25. You can add bits if you wish

You asked me for direct answers recently like who I wanted as coach ( Kingsley)

Common grumpy
Give us the answer to those 2 questions
Don’t give us the answers in two years time :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

keogh wrote:

:lol: :lol: Damn that Mrs Caz is a ‘give up’.

So tell me Cazzeman
Midfield depth

Common grumpy

1. Through his vast experience, the CEO helps to guide the selection panel towards picking the right Coach. The right Coach improves the midfield depth with his able bodied assistants. Problem solved.

2. #6 for Cere. Pick 25 no idea. I would trade SPS and O’BRIEN. I would attempt to put the work into Kemp, SOS and Charlie so that they can rotate through the middle at times. Not big minutes for them but some stoppages. I would tell McGovern he either makes it as an Intercept defender in 2022 of he gets traded.
Jack Martin and Zac Williams, statistically have to be the fittest they have ever been in their careers at Round 1 or they play VFL.

I would put Dow and Setterfield into a professional boxing training regime for 2 months to harden them up.

Of course there are a host of other things but those spring to mind.

No idea who I would have for Coach aside from Clarkson. Yes Kingsley has a great CV but really I know nothing about any of the untried. Buckley under Cook would be interesting but I know Buckley has said no.

Putting the Prelim aside, I do like the way Port Power attack the contest, but not sure what real input Voss has in that.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:43 pm 
Bruce Comben

Apologies if this has already been posted guys! A short excerpt. But worth a read. Boom!

Re: Brian Cook interview with Jon Anderson back in 2019:

Jon Anderson: When you retire, you will have spent an AFL-VFL record of 30 years as a CEO? What are you proudest of?

Brian Cook: The cultural change at Geelong is at the top of my list because without it nothing else could have happened. We have one of the best around. The AFLPA do their cultural survey each year and we’ve rated one or two for the last five or six years along with clubs like Sydney and Hawthorn.
To those who think culture isn't critical for success... There you have it! The missing and key ingredient “culture “. Could be a Red Sea moment for the club!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:
keogh wrote:

:lol: :lol: Damn that Mrs Caz is a ‘give up’.

So tell me Cazzeman
Midfield depth

Common grumpy

1. Through his vast experience, the CEO helps to guide the selection panel towards picking the right Coach. The right Coach improves the midfield depth with his able bodied assistants. Problem solved.

2. #6 for Cere. Pick 25 no idea. I would trade SPS and O’BRIEN. I would attempt to put the work into Kemp, SOS and Charlie so that they can rotate through the middle at times. Not big minutes for them but some stoppages. I would tell McGovern he either makes it as an Intercept defender in 2022 of he gets traded.
Jack Martin and Zac Williams, statistically have to be the fittest they have ever been in their careers at Round 1 or they play VFL.

I would put Dow and Setterfield into a professional boxing training regime for 2 months to harden them up.

Of course there are a host of other things but those spring to mind.

No idea who I would have for Coach aside from Clarkson. Yes Kingsley has a great CV but really I know nothing about any of the untried. Buckley under Cook would be interesting but I know Buckley has said no.

Putting the Prelim aside, I do like the way Port Power attack the contest, but not sure what real input Voss has in that.

Regards Cazzesman

Good answer
I doubt you would get Cerra with pick 6 unless SPS is part of the trade
Agree on Curnow SOJ and Kemp
Philip is an interesting one. Has two years to go on his contract
Martin and Williams are hopefully at boot camp now
Add Fisher as well
I would also try Cripps to have extended periods in attack
What I want is accountability
Our midfield is way too soft and flashy
Don’t gift games to anyone who can’t consistently apply pressure

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next