Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

DocSherrin III wrote:
Must be something in the water at Princes Park that makes executives think they have to include promises of premierships in a business plan. It's likely ok for Cooky - he'll be well gone in 5 years and enjoying retirement. But the board approves this. So anything short of a flag in both competitions before 2027 is a failure. I'm really not sure why they think they have to do it.

Brendan Gale comes to mind.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sucess is having a strong culture and regularly competing for the premiership. That's what I want to see, not some @#$%&! pipe dream.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cook was interviewed on 3AW Saturday and a succession plan was mentioned . No name was mentioned . Anybody have any clues to who the chosen one might be ? geez , be great if there was a young Stephen Gough in the ranks .

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:14 pm 
Bob Chitty

Not sure Mick but the one positive is that Brian said he plans to be in charge for 100 games. Much better than the initial 3 year deal he signed. Need calm and experienced heads to navigate the choppy waters

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cook might still have touch with current Swans CEO Tom Harley.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:

Meaning ?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Meaning ?

Meaning Cook could target Tom Harley to take the job - just a thought.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Meaning ?

Meaning Cook could target Tom Harley to take the job - just a thought.

And how do you think that would go Aggs ? just askin "

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Tom Harley would have to be one if the better of the current crop of CEO’s - and Brian Cook would have a connection with him whilst he was CEO of a Geelong and Harley was captain of Geelong.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

Apparently, there was a "Carltonians" nite last nite and Cook spoke.

I am unsure of the reliability of the source, but they claim he said something along the lines of "We are too top heavy and wished we had another 4 Ollie Hollands. Also he apparently conceded the club needs to develop players for the next 3 to 4 years.

Did anyone go to this Carltonians nite?

By develop players does that imply "rebuild" again through the draft?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:

I am unsure of the reliability of the source, but they claim he said something along the lines of "We are too top heavy and wished we had another 4 Ollie Hollands. Also he apparently conceded the club needs to develop players for the next 3 to 4 years.

He said pretty much the exact same thing on the record in his pre-game interview with 3AW last week vs the Lions, it's hardly a secret.

The only thing he didn't say was he wanted 3-4 of Hollands.

It's obvious he knows our deficiencies and that we won't do anything in this competition until they're addressed.

I reckon there are big changes coming at years' end.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

Traveller86 wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:

He said pretty much the exact same thing on the record in his pre-game interview with 3AW last week vs the Lions, it's hardly a secret.

The only thing he didn't say was he wanted 3-4 of Hollands.

It's obvious he knows our deficiencies and that we won't do anything in this competition until they're addressed.

I reckon there are big changes coming at years' end.

Do you think Voss is "safe"?

It seems clear their needs to be changes at board level and potentially at least some of the coaches too....

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

I don't see what sacking Voss would achieve.

By all reports, Craig McRae does very little in terms of tactical set up, and delegates a lot of this to his assistants.

I think the assistants are the ones who should be looking over their shoulders.

I mean, what did Hamill do as an assistant at the Saints to deserve another gig in the AFL?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:50 pm 
Harry Vallence

Traveller86 wrote:

By all reports, Craig McRae does very little in terms of tactical set up, and delegates a lot of this to his assistants.

I mean, what did Hamill do as an assistant at the Saints to deserve another gig in the AFL?

I agree sacking Voss will achieve nothing. But going by history the board has runs on the board doing this on multiple occasions. I think Voss is the right guy, he just needs to maybe be a bit more proactive and change things up. Or maybe he is getting pressure elsewhere to simply keep thinngs the way they are?

The Hamill question is also a very valid one.

Questions should also be asked of Hansen and I have to say Luke Power maybe too. He is the development coach right? Player development has been a consistent failure for many, many years. As for Hansen, our forwards are in some sort of mess generally. He has to be somewhat accountable right?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Traveller86 wrote:

I agree sacking Voss will achieve nothing. But going by history the board has runs on the board doing this on multiple occasions. I think Voss is the right guy, he just needs to maybe be a bit more proactive and change things up. Or maybe he is getting pressure elsewhere to simply keep thinngs the way they are?

The Hamill question is also a very valid one.

Questions should also be asked of Hansen and I have to say Luke Power maybe too. He is the development coach right? Player development has been a consistent failure for many, many years. As for Hansen, our forwards are in some sort of mess generally. He has to be somewhat accountable right?

I think the spotlight should be on the Assistant Coaches. Where's the creativity, the flexibility, the forward fkn entries hitting targets???

Ankle bone aint talking to the knee bone not connected to the thigh bone.....

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Do you think Voss is "safe"?

It seems clear their needs to be changes at board level and potentially at least some of the coaches too....

The case to be made for continuity within the footy department is significantly stronger than that of change - arguably change for change's sake.

Traveller86 wrote:

Hmmmm? The devil's advocate in me says the Mick Malthouse PR playbook is still being used in some corners at the Glasshouse. Remember Mark Neeld?

Within three years he went from coaching the Western Jets to being the Melbourne head coach. Arrived at Collingwood in '09 and looks after the backline. Moves to the midfield coach during the peak of Swan/Pendlebury/Didak years of 2010/11. In 2011, Mick Malthouse lauds him as an AFL coach in waiting. End of 2011, he's named Melbourne coach. Is sacked after 18 months amid fears of a player exodus.

The current Pies assistants might be a bit different due to a) the lack of coaching jobs going and b) We already know one of them can't coach at senior level. (Director of Coaching/Back Coach, Brendon Bolton). All I'm saying is - take what you hear coming out of Collingwood with a grain of salt.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:23 pm 
John Nicholls

We're getting boned.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

Not sure you can get a senior coaching gig on the basis you are delegating everything other than the emo side of things.

If the list does need to be reshaped than we are in more trouble than flash gordon

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Lowey_47 wrote:
Not sure you can get a senior coaching gig on the basis you are delegating everything other than the emo side of things.

Brisbane are doing OK with that method. Goodwin admits he doesn't do a lot of the tactical stuff either. 2nd and 3rd on the ladder.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:55 am 
Geoff Southby

I do get all of that. In any industry your key managers or whatever they are called do more of the day to day strategy for their business line on behalf of the head of the organisation.

However, to get the senior gig he must have had some overall plan or vision for the club. Not just ill get my assistants to do everything and I'll be emo with the players. Voss still needs to tick off on things or he should do.

If he has brought in this assistant or that assistant because of their tactical nous and they are not up to it, someone needs to take responsibility. At the moment there is a lot of mixed messaging around game plan, matchday tactics, list etc, which leads to unrest. Voss doesn't control all of that but should hVe some control over a lot of it

I am not advocating sacking voss or even sacking condom head. Someone though needs to take some responsibility and that is usually one of the leaders. If it ends up a leader is given the arse so be it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next