Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Hope is a waning candle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:45 am 
Ken Hunter

Watched a movie last night

In the movie there is a reference to a bloke ferrying Carlton players to an island...brought back the memories of those early days with Bolton...the hope this club had turned around, had accepted the draft and the need to develop their own players etc...then of course we sacked Bolton and in came Teague...Teague, like Bolton, Like Malthouse, Like Ratts, like Pagan, like Brittain...each new coach brings new hope but that hope each time is diminished...the wick can only be lit so many times, the flame to burn into a season or two or three and then comes the replacing, the sell, the blowing out of the flame and relighting it...each time noticing the candle is less than it was...How many times can this flame be relit before there is nothing left...nothing but memories of what once was, memories so faded the youngsters need to dredge up memories of grandparents and before to recall any fledging flap of success.

I stand here, the flame flickering, the flame to be snuffed out again I think, waiting for the board to sell the new messiah, the new lord, the new set of players, the new chessboard and I admit I grow tired of reaching for the matches.

Maybe darkness is all there is with this club. Another to be snuffed out as a reminder nothing lasts for ever, nothing ever has, nothing ever will...

not even hope.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:52 am 
Bruce Doull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF-Fvu2AvME

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:22 am 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:

In the movie there is a reference to a bloke ferrying Carlton players to an island...brought back the memories of those early days with Bolton...the hope this club had turned around, had accepted the draft and the need to develop their own players etc...then of course we sacked Bolton and in came Teague...Teague, like Bolton, Like Malthouse, Like Ratts, like Pagan, like Brittain...each new coach brings new hope but that hope each time is diminished...the wick can only be lit so many times, the flame to burn into a season or two or three and then comes the replacing, the sell, the blowing out of the flame and relighting it...each time noticing the candle is less than it was...How many times can this flame be relit before there is nothing left...nothing but memories of what once was, memories so faded the youngsters need to dredge up memories of grandparents and before to recall any fledging flap of success.

I stand here, the flame flickering, the flame to be snuffed out again I think, waiting for the board to sell the new messiah, the new lord, the new set of players, the new chessboard and I admit I grow tired of reaching for the matches.

Maybe darkness is all there is with this club. Another to be snuffed out as a reminder nothing lasts for ever, nothing ever has, nothing ever will...

Jesus Dan . Thats bloody good . I aint into the Arts , Poetry , Writing , that sorta stuff , but i tell you man ,your stuff i get . You got a gift mate .

not even hope.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:39 am 
Ken Hunter

I think I've seen this film, it's Der Untergang (Downfall), right? Starring Walshy, a madman in a bunker in 2025, ranting at other posters about how Teague should deploy his defenders, the other posters perspiring, not wanting to be the one to inform him of the terrible truth...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:29 pm 
Craig Bradley

Perhaps I’m getting a bit immune from these losses and season has been disappointing and riddled by underperformance and ineptitude but I do think there is some HOPE

Yes I’m as frustrated as everyone and am sick of losing and our team being mentally weak and not showing grit and obviously didn’t enjoy yesterday but I think this review of acted upon properly can be a catalyst to drive the right change and result in better performance on and off field

I don’t mind that it’s public as it puts everyone on notice and given players and coaches to rectify the situation
We obviously need to get a gun coach get a better footy department and footy dept head get alignment with all aspects/sections of footy dept including high performance and football administration

I reckon there is hope given this years performance
H Walsh Weitering have proved to be guns
Martin Williams and Cripps need to get fit and will have greater output when they do
Owies and Honey look like players to me
We have got games into Stocker and TDK
Both important going forward
Dow and Kennedy have established themselves as senior footballers
Jack Silvagni continues to improve and develop
Jones and Saad are good players
I’m hoping at some stag Docs gets a good run at it

Ed Curnow continues to give his all
Levi Murph and Eddie all need to retire love Eddie but it is time and this will reduce significantly age of group

Need to obviously fundamentally change game plan and mindset of playing group not an easy task but doable if they get a gun coach in as a matter of urgency

Crappy year but there are still positives and positives to build on

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

Thanks Frankie , i feel better already . agree basis of a good team there . The GLARING obvious has been the midfield and that has been the case for yonks .Why has there been more attention to the obvious . Midfield , not HBF wanna be's .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

I also should have noted that Charlie has come back rusty but has at least come back
I’m frustrated like everyone sick to death of being amateurs but think next 3 months are a few of the most important ones for the club BUT Itemain invested and hoping things are done for the better this time
GO BLUES

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

When you give up pick 8 for Saad, you know the club is in disarray.
I held hope that I was wrong but alas again.........NFI off field, which translates to on field.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:30 pm 
Ken Hunter

frank dardew wrote:
I also should have noted that Charlie has come back rusty but has at least come back
I’m frustrated like everyone sick to death of being amateurs but think next 3 months are a few of the most important ones for the club BUT Itemain invested and hoping things are done for the better this time
GO BLUES

On Charlie - I’m concerned that he isn’t really jumping or extending himself at the contest but just happy to have him back and getting through these games. After being out for 2 years, I’m sure touch will come with games. Some of our delivery towards him yesterday was diabolical, so wasn’t all that bad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

dannyboy wrote:

not even hope.

Vicious, depressing cycle.

Forever destined to be also rans.

Until they prove otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:46 pm 
Bob Chitty

Great post Danny - really resonates with how I and I’m sure a number of others are currently feeling about this club
Also great post from Franky outlining the positives from the year that can be hard to see given the past 4 weeks of footy
As Franky said, the next 3 months are key. The review needs to be acted on with urgency and the right decisions/appointments need to be made.
It is simply unpalatable for many supporters (and I assume more so for the younger ones who haven’t seen anything but crap) if we end up back in this situation in 2 or 3 years where we are seeing the same soulless performances and pointing fingers at the coach, head of footy, board etc
We just must get it right
I can’t say I’m confident given the decisions made by this club over 20 years or so but let’s see what pans out

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
Perhaps I’m getting a bit immune from these losses and season has been disappointing and riddled by underperformance and ineptitude but I do think there is some HOPE

Yes I’m as frustrated as everyone and am sick of losing and our team being mentally weak and not showing grit and obviously didn’t enjoy yesterday but I think this review of acted upon properly can be a catalyst to drive the right change and result in better performance on and off field

I don’t mind that it’s public as it puts everyone on notice and given players and coaches to rectify the situation
We obviously need to get a gun coach get a better footy department and footy dept head get alignment with all aspects/sections of footy dept including high performance and football administration

I reckon there is hope given this years performance
H Walsh Weitering have proved to be guns
Martin Williams and Cripps need to get fit and will have greater output when they do
Owies and Honey look like players to me
We have got games into Stocker and TDK
Both important going forward
Dow and Kennedy have established themselves as senior footballers
Jack Silvagni continues to improve and develop
Jones and Saad are good players
I’m hoping at some stag Docs gets a good run at it

Ed Curnow continues to give his all
Levi Murph and Eddie all need to retire love Eddie but it is time and this will reduce significantly age of group

Need to obviously fundamentally change game plan and mindset of playing group not an easy task but doable if they get a gun coach in as a matter of urgency

Crappy year but there are still positives and positives to build on

You could be on the money.

Eddie Levi and Murphy finish this year, Official!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:58 am 
Banned

Lots of room in salary cap now