Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: An all-time low
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:28 am 
Bruce Doull

Adam Chatfield wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
A game early 2000s against north at docklands. Can't remember what it was called then. Might have been Spider Burton's last game, maybe not, but he played ridiculously well.

And we got thrashed probably because we just had a pathetic team then.

Last game 2003, we lost by 124 I think. Then we had a mass clean out and all the mature hacks came in and got us to 10 wins in 2004.

The same day Kouta got a Bronx cheer for getting a touch, and Edelsten won a car in our end-of-year raffle.

It will never get lower than that.

#GUILTY

Post subject: Re: An all-time low
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

@#$%&!, this one didn't even hurt.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:37 am 
Ken Hunter

it hurt - how can you kick 5 goals and then stop, completely, utterly stop. baffled.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:56 am 
Bob Chitty

7dominator wrote:
It has been quite some time since I last posted.T o preface things I am a 57 year member for sometime based in Sydney where I fund 9 Memberships.
Today’s game was the most disappointing and depressing game that I have EVER witnessed .The total capitulation was a disgrace even allowing for injuries etc.
I am ashamed to say that despite watching the entire game I could not bring myself to watch the send off for Mark Murphy.To my mind it was tarnished not only by the performance of the Team but by the manner the milestone was reached.
Numerous Club veterans and others who played today should never represent the Club again.How on earth could a coaching group again allow such a disgrace to happen.
Lots of comment has been made re the Coaching situation but my view for what it’s worth is that change has to happen.
I witnessed to Battle Of Britain live in 1987 and hated Clarkeson but bring him in.His performance over the last 4 /5 weeks with a inferior list has been remarkable.

As for our so called management the time has to be up for the ego driven so called Members who use the Club as a Social plaything,

Agree ... watching last night was just sad ... I turned it on half way through the second.. didn't see us kick a goal ..

I honestly feel for the coach ... he may or may not be the right coach .. but the way the club has handled it is an utter disgrace and anyone involved in it leaking or suggesting we got to the media.. should be walked ..

Enough is enough

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:00 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't feel for the coach. The desire to defend is an afterthought for him. That's inexcusable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:28 am 
formerly Fevola

I dont feel for Teague either. This is not learn as you go play school. He should have some pride and step down himself.

We all see how every game unfolds and the 5+ goal turnarounds. He refuses to try different things.

Even last night when we were getting thrashed. How about trying the future. Stocker and Kemp in the midfield?

He seems really stubborn, at least try something to stop the rot.

But every coach we get, is the same story at this club.

No excuses this time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:44 am 
Bob Chitty

Last night was one of the more demoralising performances in recent memory, even despite the hefty injury list.
We are almost 6 years to the day when our club walked off the ground having been pumped by hawthorn in the final round of 2015. From that point, the “rebuild” effectively began. We knew there would be significant short term pain on field, which occurred, but it’s hard to envision that we’d be finishing 13th in 2021 with similarly soulless performances to those that contributed to us embarking on this rebuild.
In my view, we have rebuilt the list but we have failed so far to rebuild the culture and standards that should be associated with a successful club. The players, coaches, management etc have changed but the standards have not.
We need a tough coach who can drive standards and weed out the objectors in the playing group. That is not Teague given what we’ve seen in the last two years.
We also need a coach who values defending and installs a system that effectively balances offence and defensive. That is not Teague.
My hope is that a new coach can turn this list, which has talent, around. My big concern is that maybe this playing group is beyond repair from a standards perspective and they just will not do the hard yards required to succeed.
We will likely know the answer to that point in 2-3 years which is about the time frame that our players usually pack it in and give up on the coach. Hopefully this doesn’t happen again because, firstly, we’ve selected a good coach and, secondly, our players have learnt to have some pride in their performance and the jumper they wear each week.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:58 am 
Craig Bradley

Our first ever wooden spoon was hard to take... lost all bragging rights and any moral superiority we held as supporters

Making James Hird a martyr in his last game before his suspension... was the first time I literally hated being a Carlton supporter

This loss doesn't hurt as much as the realisation that 6 years into a rebuild, we're still a nowhere club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:00 am 
Harry Vallence

In the first episode of the ‘Making Their Mark’ series, there’s a quick pan into the Adelaide locker room - there’s a massive mantra on the wall which reads:

TEAM FIRST
You’ll never take the next step as a team until helping a teammate through fatigue means more to you than resting through yours.

I wonder what signs Carlton have in their locker room?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:04 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Scotty12000 wrote:
In the first episode of the ‘Making Their Mark’ series, there’s a quick pan into the Adelaide locker room - there’s a massive mantra on the wall which reads:

TEAM FIRST
You’ll never take the next step as a team until helping a teammate through fatigue means more to you than resting through yours.

If it gets hard, give it away.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:10 am 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
london blue wrote:
Unprofessional going public with a review. As challenged Teague has been with his lack of experience the board has set him up for failure these last 2 months. We’ve left him hang out to dry. Regardless of whether he is the right man, the boards public process has been a disgrace. Complete lack of integrity.

I can't agree. Does anyone actually believe we could implement a review using external participants and keep it quiet? :?
We were better being open and transparent with our intentions.

I for one was rapt that the review has been public and even a little messy...it will hold us much much more to account

Sorry to disagree with LB above but I am sick and tired of all this empathy for DT...Call me heartless, call me anything but nobody put a gun to his head when the job was offered to him. He was told he would just be an interim coach so he should've been reflective enough to examine his own skillsets etc. and possibly realise he needed to develop further before embarking

He took a chance and and he has been found wanting...big time...you make your bed, you lie in it

I don' know what his personal tragedies have been but I hope his life can turn around from those. Good luck with future endeavours but you were never, never, never the right person to replace Bolton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:35 am 
Geoff Southby

This was not an all time low for me in terms of performance
That was in 2018 when the Giants out scored us 7 goals to 1 in the last quarter with only 16 fit guys on the ground and we had 22 fit players.
With the bottom tier only occupied the two top decks empty with people being offered half price omission at Marvel.
That was 3 years into a rebuild
Then as I said often a couple of weeks later SOS decided he didn’t want the two freebies from the lower leagues and he gave away 3 picks in the 20s as well for Mitch McGovern and Will Setterfield
When their careers are over Krueger and McAdam will have achieved more than McGovern and Setterfield combined if things continue
And I was filthy at the time with these trades because it was at the very least uncertain whether SOS and his band of merry men had recruited well particularly mids

Because of over inflated self egos right across the club we overrate the people that participate particularly the players

Teague will get the bullet. He is stubborn doesn’t try enough things and he is not defensively minded enough
But he is only a small part of the problem
I cling to the hope that something will change
It won’t come from the board and their likely to stay

We need to appoint a new coach who won’t stand for this crap anymore
He will bring his staff with him
Players are dropped if they don’t deliver. Too many players have been gifted games
Install a belief they can do it and that’s to the players who physically can play at AFL level
Offer contracts that fit the players output in terms of time
Players are flexible and are tried in different positions

We need to appoint someone as quickly as possible
Sacking Teague tomorrow will give us an extra week
By the end of September the new coach and football department cut players from the list and target what we need which are simply better mids
For instance whilst I love Ed Curnow he shouldn’t be offered a year contract
His form has tapered off he is 32 next year and he wont be part of the future
Betts should retire
Surely the inner sanctum knows we can’t be a premiership in 2023.
So why have a 35 year old on the list
Like Murphy this year it is selfish and stifles the development of the young players.
Look at Honey the only good thing to come out of the last month
He should have played earlier but the obsession to get Murphy to his personal milestone has partly prevented Honey playing earlier

This list is not good enough
The midfield is the most shallow in the league

But as The Swans and the Bombers have shown if you draft well for 2 years you can turn things around

If this club decides to give a first rounder away for Cerra they have got it wrong again
Go with kids in the draft
Target mids
We need another key back
Trade out what you can to get some extra picks
Eg you may get a future second rounder for SPS

Look to the lower leagues
There are players there in their low to mid 20 s who can play at the top level

I don’t reckon this club thinks we are that bad
We have had simply shit coaches
Not totally true
We simply must appoint someone who knows where we are at and can make the tough decisions and install a team culture and belief and not give a duck what the powers think

Last edited by keogh on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:36 am 
Banned

All time low was winning 4 games of 44.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:40 am 
Banned

Blue Vain wrote:
london blue wrote:
Unprofessional going public with a review. As challenged Teague has been with his lack of experience the board has set him up for failure these last 2 months. We’ve left him hang out to dry. Regardless of whether he is the right man, the boards public process has been a disgrace. Complete lack of integrity.

I can't agree. Does anyone actually believe we could implement a review using external participants and keep it quiet? :?
We were better being open and transparent with our intentions.

Of course in the off season not half way the season when season still on the line taking coaches away from their work wondering whether they will have a job next year. It was stupidly disruptive and totally unprofessional.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
Yep, the Adelaide game last year was far worse.

I had to stop & think about which loss that was. They're becoming a blur. This is a low
I love you CK.

Post subject: An all-time low
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

It hurts more because most bought into this rebuild tripe.
I said at the time they announced it that this would end in tears and it has.

You don't give anyone at any time an excuse not to perform. Announcing rebuilds and review does that.
If you don't feel secure in your job and you can't see a future then you can't perform at your peak.

We have been sold a lie

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:36 am 
Geoff Southby

Nineteen goals to nil . Nuh , thats the worst i can remember . Faaark , we have been rebuilding forever . ...........hope fully there is a young George Harris out there . The blokes running the joint now are the ones who have been drinking out of the same swill pit . They aint the answer . No way .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Scotty12000 wrote:

TEAM FIRST

Murph 400!

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:04 pm 
Ken Hands

Maybe the potential loss of half our members might be the kick up the backside this club needs to change the culture. Can’t see us having 80 k members next year after the shit , mess and disaster this year has been. Having said that I’ll stay loyal and renew mine and hold onto hope that things will come good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

Can't see the free members coming back...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next