Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Midfield?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:39 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I think we shod just go get bonteampelli, jack Steele and jaryd beri as I've always said they are the best so why rest. We should swap them for samo and fisher and a 3rd round luck and if they don't like it then try get stuffed. Also no more than 200k base with incentives if they love the jumper the play for that and if not then we will get others who do.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
I’ve read a lot about structure and tactics as a main reason to why we have not performed to expectations
True to some extent
For me it’s mainly personal

So it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:51 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
I’ve read a lot about structure and tactics as a main reason to why we have not performed to expectations
True to some extent

So it seems.

What would you do Einstein?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

I think it's a combination.
The top of the pile players will always perform well - self-motivated, driven etc... And mostly, they have done so at Carlton. (Cripps, Walsh, Weitering come to mind).
The others are at varying levels of capability, intent, toughness, intellect etc...

And we have traded poorly IMO for mediocre talent; actually, elite talent, mediocre attitude: McGovern, Williams come to mind. Saad has performed pretty much as expected but we gave up too much for him.

And our decisions at draft time have been questionable; I kind of get it - we had to outperform the market, given how far back we were coming from and therefore needed to take some risks.

And I think too many of our recruits have not performed as expected, which indicates poor development.

And, our coaching has not been up to scratch in terms of game plan and/or communicating/teaching the game plan.

I expect the review will find deficiencies in all these areas, and more. And there will be change to playing personnel, recruiting personnel, development, and coaching. I can't see Teague be retained.
And, I suspect amongst admin AND I'd be surprised if the Board retains its shape over the coming couple of years. I reckon Sayers will stay, and maybe one or two others. And the rest will be turned over in the coming 2-3 years. And if all that happens, I will be happy; well, content that we are making changes for the betterment of our club. (It might still go pear shaped but at least we are DOING something! to quote Kennedy...)

I just want us to get back to the top end of the ladder and give my six year old something to cheer about, like I had growing up. Even just a little bit of that would be nice!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

17th Premiership wrote:
I think it's a combination.
The top of the pile players will always perform well - self-motivated, driven etc... And mostly, they have done so at Carlton. (Cripps, Walsh, Weitering come to mind).
The others are at varying levels of capability, intent, toughness, intellect etc...

And we have traded poorly IMO for mediocre talent; actually, elite talent, mediocre attitude: McGovern, Williams come to mind. Saad has performed pretty much as expected but we gave up too much for him.

And our decisions at draft time have been questionable; I kind of get it - we had to outperform the market, given how far back we were coming from and therefore needed to take some risks.

And I think too many of our recruits have not performed as expected, which indicates poor development.

And, our coaching has not been up to scratch in terms of game plan and/or communicating/teaching the game plan.

I expect the review will find deficiencies in all these areas, and more. And there will be change to playing personnel, recruiting personnel, development, and coaching. I can't see Teague be retained.
And, I suspect amongst admin AND I'd be surprised if the Board retains its shape over the coming couple of years. I reckon Sayers will stay, and maybe one or two others. And the rest will be turned over in the coming 2-3 years. And if all that happens, I will be happy; well, content that we are making changes for the betterment of our club. (It might still go pear shaped but at least we are DOING something! to quote Kennedy...)

I just want us to get back to the top end of the ladder and give my six year old something to cheer about, like I had growing up. Even just a little bit of that would be nice!

Well said

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
True to some extent

So it seems.

No need to get personnel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

You could put the bloke up as collateral for a house loan you own him that much.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
True to some extent

So it seems.

No need to get personnel.

I’m not
I’ve put up some ideas on how to give our midfield more depth
Got any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:40 pm 
Geoff Southby

Besides Owies SOJ and Stocker I reckon Newman is worth a go in the midfield
These 4 blokes play with some intensity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:

All right you made some worthy onfield suggestions but Newman?

He's tough, one sided and slow. Clumsy comes to mind.

He played a few games as a mid at Swans, got found out. He played wing when he was younger and had a spring in his step.

He's only in our 22 because of injury.

I guess you can try whatever in the last 2 insignificant rounds... Kemp, Ramsay and Carroll are players who could do with a taste of AFL before the preseason. Would be great to see Stocker given a go there too

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:

Agree with this. Esp re SOJ and Stocker.
And if we put these guys who would go at it like rabid dogs in the middle, I suspect there will be a few others who will suddenly find the ball falling their way a bit more too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:14 pm 
Bert Deacon

sos got totally played by the giants,who gave him players they knew are not good enough e.g plowman ,setterfield,kennedy ( taken 3 yrs to get 23 posessions) and all the others who got delisted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I wouldn't be canning Kennedy.
He has shown more opponent accountability than any midfielder we've had for 10 years. (Apart from Ed)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:10 pm 
Ken Hunter

an issue - a good example of this happened last week (no good examples of anything much this week). Kennedy is at a contest but the saints get the ball and take off, his lack of speed means they are away BUT he chases and follows up, covering almost half the field, and guess who gets the ball back for the bluebaggers - Yep, Kennedy.

This is what we do not teach our players - the follow, the keep going, the try that little bit more. Too many of our midfield, try one or even maybe two attempts then if the ball scoots clear they stop. No. keep going, keep harassing, keep yourself in the game. Its what makes Walsh special.

That can be taught/developed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
an issue - a good example of this happened last week (no good examples of anything much this week). Kennedy is at a contest but the saints get the ball and take off, his lack of speed means they are away BUT he chases and follows up, covering almost half the field, and guess who gets the ball back for the bluebaggers - Yep, Kennedy.

This is what we do not teach our players - the follow, the keep going, the try that little bit more. Too many of our midfield, try one or even maybe two attempts then if the ball scoots clear they stop. No. keep going, keep harassing, keep yourself in the game. Its what makes Walsh special.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

dannyboy wrote:

Yep ! go to the top of the class .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

Maybe Blue Vain doesn’t have an opinion
Maybe that mod is still doing his research
Maybe Cazzeman doesn’t care anymore
Maybe Teague is gone
Maybe the board is finally going to be put under the blow torch it justifiably deserves after 40 years of cronyism
But one things for certain
Our midfield is shit
Why
Culture and recruiting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

dannyboy wrote:

not by us it would appear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:20 pm 
Ken Hunter

to teach something it has to be very clear what it is you want to teach and then structured planning on the best possible way to teach it - neither are two things that appear to be in abundance in the 21st century Carlton.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

mAYBE the new phone has a caps lock button.
mAYBE it will allow player names to be spelt correctly.
pROBABLY won't stop hindsight recruiting being the most successful recruiting of all.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next