Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:12 am 
Harry Vallence

robertbb wrote:
You watch this team long enough you start to see the signs.

Pro:

Got on the bike about half way through the 2nd and went and rode loops of Albert park through the drizzle until it got dark.
Then came home, put a roast in the oven and watched mortal kombat movie.
The roast came out pretty good. A little on the dry side but that's on me - I didn't get up to turn it over.
Sweet potato a little on the hard side too but nothing a little Himalayan rock salt can't fix.
Movie was atrocious but still entertaining. Unlike Carlton who weren't even entertaining.
A few shots of the Hemp Vodka from Gippsland rounded things out nicely

Con:

Us. It's you and I. We've been conned into loving this club.

We have definitely been conned way too many times !!

It seems what you were cooking is better than what Carlton was cooking !!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:12 am 
Banned

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Keep Politics Out of Football... PLEASE

If you think saying no to violence against women is political, you're telling on yourself, and not for the first time on this site.

I think you are the problem here. What about violence against men?

Violence in general is grotesque.

I like how the club raises awerness but not to the point at changing club colours.

If the club ever wears LGBT socks I will not follow the game anymore at AFL level and just follow VFL. I will completely lose passion for the game.

I think politics should not be a part of football.

Thank you for contextualising a lot of the baffling strawmen (#notallstrawmem) in your football related posts by claiming we can't address two issues simultaneously and therefore the one that affects approximately two percent of the broader issue is clearly the most pressing. That you've taken the time to add none too subtle homophobia to your Sky News bingo is cute too.

You'll enjoy the VFL. Lot of great social causes being championed by a number of clubs.

I will have absolute no problem following VFL and strand away from perverts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:18 am 
Harry Vallence

ianh wrote:
WARNING IRRATIONAL RANT FOLLOWS - WRITTEN AS A NEXT ROUND PREVIEW BUT WITH A FAIR BUT OF VITRIOLIC REVIEW THROWN IN AT THE END.

Before I fire up let me say I know it is unjustifiably harsh, I know the players turn up with the intent to try their best even if some days they don't fire a shot, I know some busted a gut today and all who play at this level have not only skill beyond us mere mortals but also courage I can't honestly say I know i would display (albeit that courageous is a word that was often used to described my pathetic playing career but largely because to my skill level my courage was impressive rather than it being objectively so) and that they by and large make sacrifices in their lives to ever get to that level but most of us couldn't and/or wouldn't BUT DAMN IT I HAVE LOVED THIS CLUB SINCE 1968 AND I AM GOING TO BE IRRATIONAL ALL RIGHT!

With any luck the competition might be shut down and/or this game cancelled due to Covid.

By my calculation there were 14 players not playing today who might be fit enough to play next week ("the Fit 14"). That would be 14 of my starting 18. If any don't come up it saves another "player" (and I use the term loosely) from today. That leaves 9 spots including medical sub. I would fill them with those that most deserve to be there - a mix of performance this week (not that many get a plus mark), effort over the season, effort over their career and those that need another game under their belt to develop (maybe Honey), continue a comeback (Charlie) or show they are worth a place on the list next year (arguably Kennedy, Dow, O'Brien etc) So category 1 for example would be Newman possibly our best player today, category 2 Walsh, category 3 - well we may as well carry Murph to 300 games now, and category 4 Charlie.

In terms of who played well enough today to have any case to argue for staying in the side - well there's Newman, Walsh, Ed Curnow. Others weren't disgusting but these are the 3 that I reckon flew the flag. Of course Walsh is in category 2 (and H Mac if he is fit but for the sake of the exercise I will assume he is out injured) and Ed C in category 3, so let's start listing "THE NON-SACKED NINE"

Category 1 Newman E Curnow (also could be in category 3)

Category 2 Walsh

Category 3 Murphy

Category 4 TBA

Cripps would also deserve category 3 status for his career, but for the sake of this exercise I am going to say (as may well be the case) he deserves even more a rest for his battered body.

Add Charlie C as category 4 - so 4 more to go. Given I have already suggested only 3 fit category 1 let's look to categories 2, 3 and 4. To my mind we should address category 3 first - those whose body of work over their career with the Blues has them deserving to avoid the ignominy of the cull. Possibles excluding Cripps as aforesaid are Betts of course, Jones and maybe even Weitering albeit he is still young. In any event Weits would surely get in under category 2 for his season performances. That would make 22. I also think JSOS deserves a spot on his year and his drive (and no doubt the family name subconsciously comes into play), so without having any consideration of category 4 we are already at 23 but let's see whether any category 4s deserve to oust any and how many of the names above.

I see the category 4s beyond Charlie as being:

Young guns Honey Stocker Dow

Last chancers Kennedy Williamson O'Brien

Comebackers Nil

I think all but O'Brien have either shown enough or had enough chances to make a decision on their future without needing another look - I won't digress into who I think should stay and who should go that's for the list management discussion, but ... no I won't digress. :smile:

So if you include O'Brien there is 24, one miss out (be one of the 3 emergencies not medisub) and two other bodies to also be named an emergency. End of the day I think Honey's goals probably earn him at least an emergency slot and that leaves 1 emergency and I don't give a rat's tossbag which of these underwhelming (I'll again use the term loosely) "players" get that spot but forced to pick one I'd go Williamson as a harder body who is trying to save his career. Of course if any one or more of the Fit 14 don't come up then one or more of the emergencies and (if we had a run off injuries to the Fit 14 - and let's face it with our injury run this year anything's possible) even beyond might get saved, but for the sake of the exercise let's go with Fit 14 plus 9 plus 3, and I'd line them up with the Fit 14 plus 4 others starting on field ike this:

Williams McDonald Parks
Cottrell Weitering Ramsay
Carroll Setterfield SPS
Durdin McGovern Fogarty
Casboult C Curnow Owies
Jones Kemp Murphy

Then bench plus medisub
E Curnow Newman JSOS Walsh / Betts

Emergencies: MEDISUB Honey O'Brien Williamson

Eddie gets medisub to hopefully limit his workload and set him up fresh for round 23 just in case it is his last game. Smurph gets to play all day (injury aside) in his 300th, that is how it should be for anyone's 300th if the season is over, and he should retire at the final siren or better still announce it before the game. Not that I expect he would do that,, but if I ran the club I'd tell him it's that or medisub for his 300th and see which choice he would make - but if he said medisub I'd start him anyway, his career deserves it. I am a softy/romantic at heart.

Of course no AFL club would do such a thing but it would send such a message. Of course the team would get pumped unless the Port coach completely stuffed up (by which I mean their bus breaks down and they don't reach the ground). But that is the point - the players today other than the ones I have named forfeited the right to wear the first team guernsey for one week at least and it's only the rules around player lists and availability that save even them. It was a collective failure and warrants collective consequences. On on the point of consequences surely the Teague train has been derailed. He should get on the phone to Clarko himself and offer him the job (and ideally stay on as senior assistant with a Roos/Goodwin deal to take over in a few years). Again never going to happen, but then neither was my 3QT suggestion he send one assistant coach out to tell the "players" words to the effect "if you aren't going to turn up for us then we're not going to turn up for you" and then turn around and walk off.

END RANT

Dripping with frustration Ian and with an attempt to make reasonable sense of an untenable situation. We feel it mate. And a few glasses of red thrown in there too I suspect. Haha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:49 am 
Robert Walls

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Keep Politics Out of Football... PLEASE

If you think saying no to violence against women is political, you're telling on yourself, and not for the first time on this site.

I think you are the problem here. What about violence against men?

Violence in general is grotesque.

I like how the club raises awerness but not to the point at changing club colours.

If the club ever wears LGBT socks I will not follow the game anymore at AFL level and just follow VFL. I will completely lose passion for the game.

I think politics should not be a part of football.

Thank you for contextualising a lot of the baffling strawmen (#notallstrawmem) in your football related posts by claiming we can't address two issues simultaneously and therefore the one that affects approximately two percent of the broader issue is clearly the most pressing. That you've taken the time to add none too subtle homophobia to your Sky News bingo is cute too.

You'll enjoy the VFL. Lot of great social causes being championed by a number of clubs.

It's uncanny how often these bigoted Neanderthals out themselves on social media using their favourite tag lines from Sky News....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:57 am 
Banned

Rubbish - people need to accept some people just have standards on how they want to live and refuse to intake anything shoved down their throat unwillingly.

I want my children to have a healthy family life not being subjugated by pervert media constantly shoved down a child's throat.

If I could have a way to censor perversions I would.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:04 am 
Rod Ashman

If we had won yesterday as we should have, I don't think anyone would have mentioned the socks :smoking:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:11 am 
Harry Vallence

Walsh wrote:
healthy family life not being subjugated by pervert media constantly shoved down a child's throat.

Found the pervert.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:12 am 
Bruce Doull

CFC8795 wrote:
If we had won yesterday as we should have, I don't think anyone would have mentioned the socks :smoking:
Nah, we would’ve won by more as we were too woke by the colour of the material around our feet to thrash our opposition like we should’ve.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CFC8795 wrote:
I would have
I would have high lighted that it was our first win in the orange socks

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:19 am 
Banned

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Walsh wrote:
healthy family life not being subjugated by pervert media constantly shoved down a child's throat.

Found the pervert.

Interesting thats where your mind went despite context was far from your perverted mind.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:21 am 
Craig Bradley

Agree with you both just so frustrated by lack of effort and want by the players -us old boys know great carlton teams of the past would walk on broken glass to win games the present wouldn’t walk on shag pile carpet to win

Just numb about yesterday ie going to exit another coach another wasted season another wasted opportunity to fight our way out of mediocrity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:22 am 
Robert Walls

Walsh wrote:
Rubbish - people need to accept some people just have standards on how they want to live and refuse to intake anything shoved down their throat unwillingly.

I want my children to have a healthy family life not being subjugated by pervert media constantly shoved down a child's throat.

Wow, you are a seriously dangerous individual with major issues. What a disgusting attitude to have towards other people based on their sexuality.

The fact that you have kids that you are teaching this shit to is the most alarming.

Think about what will happen if one of them turns out to gay. Sounds like it's time for reflection before you dig yourself any deeper.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:24 am 
Banned

Mil Hanna wrote:
Walsh wrote:

Wow, you are a seriously dangerous individual with major issues. What a disgusting attitude to have towards other people based on their sexuality.

The fact that you have kids that you are teaching this shit to is the most alarming.

Think about what will happen if one of them turns out to gay. Sounds like it's time for reflection before you dig yourself any deeper.

If one of them turn gay then would love them all the same but prefer if they make their own choice rather than being persuaded by sick pervert media.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:24 am 
Rod Ashman

Let's all go outside and enjoy the Melbourne sunshine. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:36 am 
Harry Vallence

CFC8795 wrote:
Let's all go outside and enjoy the Melbourne sunshine. :thumbsup:

Done , im selling my allocated 2 hours that Dan the dictator allocates me

Any bidders ??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:39 am 
Robert Walls

You know... St. Kilda won last night wearing their pride jumper...

And Sydney lost wearing theirs.

It's almost as if... as if the jumper made no difference...

What could it all mean?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:41 am 
Geoff Southby

Pull Up ! all of you .Just pull up.Atrocious................kids,gay's,perversion. Talkin" about this sorta stuff on a footy site is crazy.Reaching an all time low for mine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:43 am 
Wayne Johnston

Walsh wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:
Walsh wrote:

If one of them turn gay then would love them all the same but prefer if they make their own choice rather than being persuaded by sick pervert media.

Quote:
One of the federal government’s most vocal critics of the ABC — who claims it is biased and pushing an increasingly “woke” agenda — has admitted he doesn’t actually watch it.

Is this you Walsh?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 58fil.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Walsh has three kids?

FMD I thought he was about 14... :lol:

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:49 am 
Harry Vallence

Walsh is one weird cat. Needs to get off the piss and stop posting on here after his 3rd bottle of plonk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next