Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:16 pm 
John James

Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Kennedy, Dow, Stocker and SPS ...... that’s is all I’m saying.

SPS had a stinker.

Kennedy, Dow and Stocker were good.

SPS not one tackle.

Just too hot and cold.

You were obviously not watching the game very closely. Even I saw SPS lay some tackles on my tv screen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

Barely a mention for our captain tonight. Strange. He was cooked, don’t be surprised if he misses weeks. Played a role, did a heap of defensive work at stoppages, played CHF. Couldn’t kick on his right foot.

Dow was great, If he actually starts believing he may become a very very good player.

Reckon we are the walking wounded at the moment. Why that win was so very good.

JSOS. This bloke has to be in the leadership group next year. Will never be the most talented, but geez he gives lots.

Stocker. He is a mongrel. He likes to hurt blokes. I love it.

Walsh a star.
Harry tried hard.

Levi was shocking for first 3q, but carried the kid TDk in the last. May have won us the game to
Be honest.

Good win.

Still unsure what our best is. It wasn’t tonight. We still leave the corridor open way too much. Our effort is still patchy, but signs are ok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

All the numbers at 3 qtr time said we should be 3-4 goals behind... but credit to the boys for digging deep in the last

Walsh is a freak... our best pick1 ever
Great signs from Dow especially the first half
Kennedy and Stocker were very good
Backline did their best despite us conceding 12 more inside 50's
The King was good early and Levi's last qtr was very important

We still have massive issues with out midfield structures/setup... can't continue getting smashed in the clearances and rely on our backline to save our arse week in week out

Harry Vallence

Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

SPS had a stinker.

SPS not one tackle.

Just too hot and cold.

Well stats lie. I simple remember at least 2 tackles by SPS.
Anyhow he didn’t have a stinker and he is building. Give him time in his new position(s). Classy user.

His defending is still diabolical.

Yeah he needs to spend a week with the stoppage coach on d50. No doubt

Geoff Southby

As encouraging as the performances of Dow & Kennedy have been the last couple of weeks, they are part of a midfield that is getting smashed at the clearances. The ruck situation probably has a fair bit to do with it, but we must get better in there. Cripps was obviously sore after quarter time but he looks to be a little lost at the moment - is he playing a slightly different role?

Walsh & Weitering are guns. ‘Nuff said.

Saad has been a terrific pick up for us.

I wasn’t sold on Stocker earlier in the season, but he is coming along very nicely. I don’t agree we should put him in the midfield right now. I think we should leave him where he is while he’s finding his feet and playing well. It would also be nice to settle our back 6 or 7 and let them get some continuity.

Harry needs to protect his teammates when they have the front position. He spoilt Casboult in the first quarter and he nearly killed Owies in the third. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it’s awareness rather than selfishness….

Martin needs to nail his chances when they come or he might find himself out of the team. The difference between his best and worst is too great for an experienced player.

At the ground, SPS stood out to me as the weak link in our team defence. We need players we can trust to concentrate defensively and stick tackles when it’s their turn. If there is a pick under #30 on offer for him during trade week, I would take it.

Betts & Owies appear to enjoy playing together. I’m enjoying watching them at the moment. They have a bit of a Batman & Robin thing going.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to Jones. For all the good stuff he does, he costs us a couple of goals every week. We really don’t want him kicking the ball in our defensive 50.

Casboult was poor for 3 quarters but has to play again next week. TDK simply can’t ruck the whole game. Credit to Levi, he stood up in the last quarter when the heat was on.

Plowman seems to get smashed by the opposition, the umpires and Carlton ‘supporters’ every week. Poor bloke.

Newman & Newnes are doing enough to hold their place on the list for another year IMO.

What did people make of Williamson’s game? I reckon he did OK but I think he’ll make way for Williams next week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

david31 wrote:
Good win in the end. Thought we were in all sorts at three quarter time.
Pros:
- Young midfielders stepping up - Dow, Walsh, Kennedy
- Weitering and Jones got the job done
- JSOS very good
- Stocker great too
- Eddie crucial
Cons:
- Shocking third quarter
- Still getting pumped in the clearances
- Gave up too many inside 50s and shots on goal
All in all good win

Yep. We have our share of games where we are the dominant team but poor conversion costs us and tonight the boot was on the other foot. Inside 50 total and midfield structures were very poor. We've been fortunate the past couple of weeks that our defence is first class. 14 inside 50's to freo in the last quarter but our defenders kept repelling their advances. Dale Amos has been our best performing coach since he came across from Geelong.
I thought our team defence was better tonight but if the coaches cant come up with some decent midfield strategies, the defence will be overwhelmed by the better teams.

The frustration is we can plays excellent footy at times but we are too easily countered due to our simple, offensive game style.

At least my daughter enjoyed seeing her 2 favourite players give maximum effort as usual (JSOS and Walsh). That will keep her coming back. :thumbsup:

Last edited by Blue Vain on Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banned

aboynamedsue wrote:
As encouraging as the performances of Dow & Kennedy have been the last couple of weeks, they are part of a midfield that is getting smashed at the clearances. The ruck situation probably has a fair bit to do with it, but we must get better in there. Cripps was obviously sore after quarter time but he looks to be a little lost at the moment - is he playing a slightly different role?

Walsh & Weitering are guns. ‘Nuff said.

Saad has been a terrific pick up for us.

I wasn’t sold on Stocker earlier in the season, but he is coming along very nicely. I don’t agree we should put him in the midfield right now. I think we should leave him where he is while he’s finding his feet and playing well. It would also be nice to settle our back 6 or 7 and let them get some continuity.

Harry needs to protect his teammates when they have the front position. He spoilt Casboult in the first quarter and he nearly killed Owies in the third. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it’s awareness rather than selfishness….

Martin needs to nail his chances when they come or he might find himself out of the team. The difference between his best and worst is too great for an experienced player.

At the ground, SPS stood out to me as the weak link in our team defence. We need players we can trust to concentrate defensively and stick tackles when it’s their turn. If there is a pick under #30 on offer for him during trade week, I would take it.

Betts & Owies appear to enjoy playing together. I’m enjoying watching them at the moment. They have a bit of a Batman & Robin thing going.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to Jones. For all the good stuff he does, he costs us a couple of goals every week. We really don’t want him kicking the ball in our defensive 50.

Casboult was poor for 3 quarters but has to play again next week. TDK simply can’t ruck the whole game. Credit to Levi, he stood up in the last quarter when the heat was on.

Plowman seems to get smashed by the opposition, the umpires and Carlton ‘supporters’ every week. Poor bloke.

Newman & Newnes are doing enough to hold their place on the list for another year IMO.

What did people make of Williamson’s game? I reckon he did OK but I think he’ll make way for Williams next week.

Our clearance work is not good

Harry takes 2-3 defenders and need Charlie in the team asap.

Harry Vallence

Spare a thought for Derwayne Russell tonight.
Had his hopes raised for a Freo win then cruelly dashed in the last Qrt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

Beijing Blue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

SPS had a stinker.

SPS not one tackle.

Just too hot and cold.

You were obviously not watching the game very closely. Even I saw SPS lay some tackles on my tv screen.

Stats say zero tackles... 15 disposals tonight and looked ok early but was an average game overall imo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

With all our injuries and stuff for the Review to improve, tou can see how even the competition is.

Charlie Curnow to help Harry. Double headed monster. Leaves SOS as 3rd tall.

Williams back for Willo

Fisher to add a bit of zip...

Above will happen in our run to Finals.

Beat the Cats next week and we have entertainment to look forward to.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

Princes Park Whistler wrote:
Spare a thought for Derwayne Russell tonight.
Had his hopes raised for a Freo win then cruelly dashed in the last Qrt.

Healy wasn’t far behind. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:25 pm 
Banned

bondiblue wrote:
With all our injuries and stuff for the Review to improve, tou can see how even the competition is.

Williams back for Willo

Yeah today was a real test of our depth against a stable line up fighting for top 8.

This win can not be under estimated. Although preferred if we played more attacking football. If we are going to win flags need a point of difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

Just home from the game.
I thought we were gone at 3/4 time so it was good to see them dig deep and get the win.
Luckily Freo kicked poorly for goal, amazing what happens when you kick straight.
Levi had a shocker for most of the game but lifted when needed in the final quarter.
Cripps was courageous and battled out the game when he was clearly injured.
Dow had a really game as did JSOS.
Our backline held up well but had the usual brain fades, mainly Jones.
Walsh was quietish early but finished strongly and kicked that fantastic goal.
The crowd may have been small but it was the loudest 12,000 crowd I can remember.
It was good to have another win and a bonus that we got to go to the game.
Go blues.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Williams back for Willo

Yeah today was a real test of our depth against a stable line up fighting for top 8.

This win can not be under estimated. Although preferred if we played more attacking football. If we are going to win flags need a point of difference.

Our clearances are the issue. 2nd and 3rd quarter was diabolical. Fix that and the attack will come by nature. I thought our defensive efforts and setups were the best they have been today.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Williams back for Willo

Our clearances are the issue. 2nd and 3rd quarter was diabolical. Fix that and the attack will come by nature. I thought our defensive efforts and setups were the best they have been today.

I'm not a huge Kreuzer fan, but if GWS can get Mumford doing better than OK, then get Kreuzer back next year. Serious.
We are desperate for Levi to play. I am. Teague is. Doesn't make it good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

Pittonet would have been a better fit for Darcy. Unfortunately, TDK is currently too light to handle the bigger ruckman. TDK wasn’t jumping his normal self today as well. I was surprised Casboult didn’t get thrown into the ruck the 3rd quarter.

Good news is next week TDK won’t have a big bodied ruckman.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:07 am 
Ken Hunter

Dows first half
JSOS all game
Kennedy especially the last
Weitering and Walsh

great effort.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:10 am 
Bruce Doull

flower it was cold :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:45 am 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Pressure and ability to defend when midfield not in control. Nice to be able to win a game where you win 2 quarters.
Accuracy.
Newman, Stocker and SOJ.
Dow's 1st half, and Levi's final quarter.
Weiters, Jones and Kennedy.
Without being dominant, like the way Cripps is playing at the moment.
Fogarty and SPS were high impact.
Nice to see Williamson contributing again at senior level.

Cons:

Martin's set shots.
Again beaten in midfield.
Switkowski and his ducking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:19 am 
Bob Chitty

0.4 in the first quarter
0.1 in the last quarter

i thought that aspect was terriffic.

dow, kennedy, silvagni, stocker at different times were epic.

dont like the amout of free kicks getting paid againt harry ... needs some help ... curnow if he is fit will be a great compliment.

weitering / walsh have to be the best 1/2 in defence in the league ... unreal (once you get past the brain fade that jones is good for at least twice in a game)

tdk really could be anything ... but is light for the moment ... still worth persisting with though but he will struggle at times against the bigger rucks, thought levi did really well as releif, despite not being able to run or jump

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next