Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

Yeah I’m not blowing the club up based on a 5 goal loss to an almost certain top 4 side and possible grand finalist.

We were disappointing, and it shows a few things:

1. Not a good enough depth of talent to compete with the best. SOS recruiting shown up to be more miss than hit. We need to continue to draft and trade well to get better.

2. Even with a few injuries, we can’t compete with the best.

3. Way too reliant of Cripps and Walsh.

A big problem we have is Walsh going on ball seems to have made all other mids who aren’t Cripps worse, well maybe not Ed.

Either Williams not 100% or just not good tonight.

Saad not 100% but still good.

Gov better than the very low expectations I have for him.

Defensive pressure in forward 50 laughably bad.

Our outside game was non existent for much of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Very deflating to see the difference in class, skill, system, structure and smarts is still so stark.

Thought we were in the contest until early in the third but our continual butchering of opportunities was simply atrocious.

We are just a flaky, soft and unreliable side. Tonight we had so many that weren’t even up to AFL standard. Forget finals, we are miles off.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

DesEnglish wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Port too good. Killed us in uncontested possessions. A 5 goal margin was about right in the end.

We are still a long way off the better sides, but I didn’t think it was all doom and gloom.

What I will say is that I hope Newman & Parks are back soon because Willo & SPS are not defenders. It’s wing or bust for Willo and SPS must play mid/forward. The rest of our defence was OK, but those 2 were obvious weak links back there, IMO.

Better showing by Casboult. Still not at his best, but we may not see his best again.
Stop being rational! We lost badly against a top 4 team, it's outrageous!

Having said that, our execution let us down as did having no forward line system.

But SacKTheCoaCH

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

You’re right, we should accept being shit, God knows the players do

No acceptance, but blowing the club up isn’t the answer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

Navy One wrote:
Give Port their due .... Well drilled and beat Tigers last week. No premiership but did finish top last year.

We had a shocker ..... Just wondering whether that game last week against GC took a lot out of them (and GC in their game vs Dogs). It was played in the dry in wet weather muggy conditions. Both teams looked exhausted last week.

I suspected we may struggle tonight.
I went to the game last week and it was a warm and humid night.
Tonight our skills were appalling and it is hard to find too many good players.
Our forward line doesn't appear to have any system to it.
Getting sick of it and it is hard to find the motivation to keep going to the games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:22 pm 
Serge Silvagni

“Wanting it” wins out on the day, hands down. We have the skill. But...culture will eventually kill those who “want it”. That’s why the saying “the fish rots at the head” is so critical in this situation. The top man has to lead by example. If that person ain’t got the goods, then it permeates throughout the club and we become mediocre....which is what the club currently is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

Adam Chatfield wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Port too good. Killed us in uncontested possessions. A 5 goal margin was about right in the end.

We are still a long way off the better sides, but I didn’t think it was all doom and gloom.

What I will say is that I hope Newman & Parks are back soon because Willo & SPS are not defenders. It’s wing or bust for Willo and SPS must play mid/forward. The rest of our defence was OK, but those 2 were obvious weak links back there, IMO.

Better showing by Casboult. Still not at his best, but we may not see his best again.

Having said that, our execution let us down as did having no forward line system.

But SacKTheCoaCH

What is the answer? I don’t see any answers on the ground or off it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
We can't seem to stay motivated for more than 2 games in a row. Been an issue all century.

Unless you want it badly enough it doesn't matter who is in on your list, you are always middle of the road.

Port play for premierships, Carlton play for paychecks. motivation comes from within so it's a tough one for a coach to change. That one is up to the players. Ratts is learning that at St.Kilda too.

Brilliantly summed up mate !!

Murphy has been set up for life for doing nothing and getting a pay check...

Our coaching staff is deplorable
Player development deplorable

We beat a under manned freo and gc!!

Thats it for me , I won’t be going to watch them again live..and waste my money and time

I would rather watch my sons play senior footy locally , at least they give a shit and try !!

Zak Williams needs to go back to hb until he gets his touch back and stop trying to be cute with his bullshit possesssions
SPS to be tried forward of the ball and be told no more 15 metres kicks , it’s been happening for 18 months now , or he gets dropped
Cripps if he ain’t fit, he should not be out there , it’s becoming embarrassing for everyone

The elephant In the room , is clearly what does Carlton stand for and the answer is clearly we are the st kilda of the 80s

We have the best forward in the comp in Mackay and we don’t want to kick to his advantage ...great coach8ng there

We are officially are shambles , thank you Carlton for making wake up .you don’t give a shit , you are soft , mentally weak with no Desire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

kezza wrote:
missnaut wrote:
My God I wish we could kick straight.

There is not a single player I trust with a set shot.

So true.
We were saying recently that it would be really hard to pick one of our players who you would trust to kick a goal after the siren to win the game.
I can't think of one.

Newnes?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:27 pm 
Bob Chitty

BlueJean wrote:
“Wanting it” wins out on the day, hands down. We have the skill. But...culture will eventually kill those who “want it”. That’s why the saying “the fish rots at the head” is so critical in this situation. The top man has to lead by example. If that person ain’t got the goods, then it permeates throughout the club and we become mediocre....which is what the club currently is.

If we didn’t “want it” then we wouldn’t have more inside 50’s, more clearances and more scoring shots. Your logic is flawed if you are saying we didn’t want it enough tonight.

Overall as a general concept your logic is fine.

Last edited by Crippa on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:28 pm 
Bob Chitty

aboynamedsue wrote:
kezza wrote:
missnaut wrote:
My God I wish we could kick straight.

There is not a single player I trust with a set shot.

So true.
We were saying recently that it would be really hard to pick one of our players who you would trust to kick a goal after the siren to win the game.
I can't think of one.

Newnes?

Martin is probably my pick from 40m out.
Fogerty has been very accurate albeit from a small sample size so far.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

MPH78 wrote:
Very deflating to see the difference in class, skill, system, structure and smarts is still so stark.

Thought we were in the contest until early in the third but our continual butchering of opportunities was simply atrocious.

We are just a flaky, soft and unreliable side. Tonight we had so many that weren’t even up to AFL standard. Forget finals, we are miles off.

I think it’s a combination of 3 things:

1. List is still unbalanced, some great top end picks and great gets from other clubs, but we are paying for crap drafting and finding bugger all decent players in drafts after pick 30 or rookie selections from 2015-18. (JSOS is about it)

2. Current side probably need to play more together, but still some gaping holes. Lack of small forwards, Ed is done but not much else there to play instead of him with Fisher and Martin out. Could we play Williams on a wing?

3. As a side we don’t put enough pressure on, we are too easy to play against. I think top sides know if they turn up the heat enough we will fall by the wayside

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Crippa wrote:
BlueJean wrote:

If we didn’t “want it” then we wouldn’t have more inside 50’s, more clearances and more scoring shots. Your logic is flawed if you are saying we didn’t want it enough tonight.

Inside 50s don’t mean a thing with sides switching the ball backwards. It’s almost as useless a stat as Murphy’s possessions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

DesEnglish wrote:
Adam Chatfield wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

But SacKTheCoaCH

What is the answer? I don’t see any answers on the ground or off it.

The answer is to work on what we do well and add and tinker with things.

Remember it isn’t even 2 years ago we couldn’t buy a win, we are coming from a long way back.

We need to continue to draft well, trade well and keep improving coaching and development.

Things have improved as a club over the past 5 years, but we obviously have a lot of work to do still. I don’t think anyone denies that, but a 28 point loss to one of the best sides in the comp while it has me in a non great mood, doesn’t make me think we need to trade half the list and gut everything North Melbourne style.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Our captains have become deflaters. You can back it in week in week out that Cripps will miss a sitter and Docherty will give up a goal through a basic skill error. They kill us. But that is the standard that is set and accepted.

They will cling to the stats and say we created now opportunities etc etc but it's just another shit show of goal kicking. The amount of basic set shots that we miss is obscene.

This team. This club just continues to disappoint. It's not the fact that we lose. Losing is going to happen. It's the way that we do it. We need to be a hard team. We want teams to come off knowing they had to really earn their victory against us. What do we stand for?

Marc Murphy has been paramount to this culture and I can't wait to have him out the door. It was some 2009 that he first got pegged as a down hill skier. He then got made captain and built the shit culture that we see today. I would not be disappointed in the club if they dropped him and left him short of 300. He is as responsible as anyone for the shit culture at this club.

Such a disappointing night all round. Such a disappointing club. It's getting harder and harder to keep showing up each week

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Port must've had more caffeine pills before the game.
Gold Coast game in the humidity sucked the life from Carlton.
11 injuries, 7 first 22 players missing.
New renovations at Ikon park have been disrupting
Players drank their bath water

Lack of Skills
Too slow
Lacking desire
Not strong enough

Port were playing at a different level.
We lack system

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:46 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

azzablue wrote:
jim wrote:
We can't seem to stay motivated for more than 2 games in a row. Been an issue all century.

Unless you want it badly enough it doesn't matter who is in on your list, you are always middle of the road.

Port play for premierships, Carlton play for paychecks. motivation comes from within so it's a tough one for a coach to change. That one is up to the players. Ratts is learning that at St.Kilda too.

Brilliantly summed up mate !!

Murphy has been set up for life for doing nothing and getting a pay check...

Our coaching staff is deplorable
Player development deplorable

We beat a under manned freo and gc!!

Thats it for me , I won’t be going to watch them again live..and waste my money and time

I would rather watch my sons play senior footy locally , at least they give a shit and try !!

Zak Williams needs to go back to hb until he gets his touch back and stop trying to be cute with his bullshit possesssions
SPS to be tried forward of the ball and be told no more 15 metres kicks , it’s been happening for 18 months now , or he gets dropped
Cripps if he ain’t fit, he should not be out there , it’s becoming embarrassing for everyone

The elephant In the room , is clearly what does Carlton stand for and the answer is clearly we are the st kilda of the 80s

We have the best forward in the comp in Mackay and we don’t want to kick to his advantage ...great coach8ng there

We are officially are shambles , thank you Carlton for making wake up .you don’t give a shit , you are soft , mentally weak with no Desire
Clubhouse leader..... Not in a good way

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The_Cranium wrote:
Our captains have become deflaters. You can back it in week in week out that Cripps will miss a sitter and Docherty will give up a goal through a basic skill error. They kill us. But that is the standard that is set and accepted.

This is so true.
Stood out tonight.
Unacceptable.
Questionable skills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:47 pm 
Bob Chitty

Almost 6 years into a rebuild and we’ve got Murphy, Betts, Ed and Levi all as mainstays in the team
Says a bit about our development of youth and injury list
Not good enough
Time to see Stocker - he’s in form in the 2s and at least he’ll crack in and give a stuff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:

This is so true.
Stood out tonight.
Unacceptable.
Questionable skills

I noticed my old signature reappeared at the bottom of my posts. I deleted that after the Collingwood game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

Crippa wrote:
BlueJean wrote:

Inside 50s don’t mean a thing with sides switching the ball backwards. It’s almost as useless a stat as Murphy’s possessions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next