Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:13 am 
Banned

Two changes for me

In: Williams McGovern
Out: Dow JSOS

If McGovern plays well it could be tough for Jack coming back into the side.

Settlefield stays - has high IQ even though out of form needs to lift his tackling game which is one of his strengths.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:18 am 
Wayne Johnston

Walsh wrote:
Two changes for me

Settlefield stays - has high IQ even though out of form needs to lift his tackling game which is one of his strengths.

The Guv has shown very little in the VFL from all reports, we should leave him there until he smashes the door down with his performances. I’d rather see Oscar in the seniors, he can also replace Plowman if required.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:22 am 
Rod Ashman

sinbagger wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Two changes for me

The Guv has shown very little in the VFL from all reports, we should leave him there until he smashes the door down with his performances. I’d rather see Oscar in the seniors, he can also replace Plowman if required.

He’s kicked 6 goals in 6 quarters of footy and the club’s match report has him in our best players yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:30 am 
Geoff Southby

jezzarules wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Teague has to be more ruthless in his selections. Forget being mates with the players and pick the best team to win. Setterfield was out of form and shouldn't have walked back into the team. Kennedy showed more in 10 minutes of footy.
Beveridge dropped his vice captain this week. That's what we require. A ruthless approach.

Out Dow, Setterfield.
In Williams, Kennedy. If JSOS doesn't come up, push Kennedy forward and bring Stocker into the midfield rotation.

How do we cover Plowman? Williamson?

Plowman played the game out. I'm not expecting him to miss

Wasn’t he subbed off for Kennedy?

Kennedy came on for JSOS.
Plowman got a jab and came back on

Ah, OK thanks. Still, both Plowman & SOJ would have to be considered doubtful. Both would be big losses, IMO. If Plowman does miss, I guess it’s a choice between Williamson or the taller McDonald for his spot in defence.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:43 am 
Wayne Johnston

cecil89 wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Two changes for me

He’s kicked 6 goals in 6 quarters of footy and the club’s match report has him in our best players yesterday.

Fair enough, but 3 goals a game is hardly smashing the door down, it’s just par for the course for a guy like him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
Out JSos Dow Setterfield to Sub
In Gov Kennedy Williams

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That would be my changes also Syd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Teague has to be more ruthless in his selections. Forget being mates with the players and pick the best team to win. Setterfield was out of form and shouldn't have walked back into the team. Kennedy showed more in 10 minutes of footy.
Beveridge dropped his vice captain this week. That's what we require. A ruthless approach.

Out Dow, Setterfield.
In Williams, Kennedy. If JSOS doesn't come up, push Kennedy forward and bring Stocker into the midfield rotation.

Geez BV
I agree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

sinbagger wrote:

Fair enough, but 3 goals a game is hardly smashing the door down, it’s just par for the course for a guy like him.

Agree. Unfortunately, this is the perfect excuse (injury to JSoS) that the match committee will use, to make the call. I bet if JSoS is fit and McGov doesn’t perform this week, they won’t make the relevant change the following week.

Kennedy could quite easily do the similar job this week rotating with Crippa or even Setters deep forward/mid. IMO, This setup would assist with our current forward/midfield rotations, if we keep playing a defensive mid like Ed.

Anyway - it’s Teague’s call ......

Last edited by SurreyBlue on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Out Dow, Setterfield.

Geez BV
I agree

Exactly. Should have read this first. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:16 pm 
Serge Silvagni

missnaut wrote:
Kennedy for Dow. PLEASE.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

sinbagger wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Two changes for me

Think you're trying to justify your position. That's 3 in each game. Start kicking 3 regularly and you are doing well. Modern footy isn't big on 5 or 6 goals that often, even in the VFL. He led very well yesterday and played well. He's ready to return.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Out Dow, Setterfield.

Geez BV
I agree

Yup spot on, I agree wholeheartedly, no more Mr Nice guy just bite bullet stop the populists overtures.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:28 pm 
Ken Hands

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
Butters and duursma both def out

Rozee as well I think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

Big opportunity this game if we come switched on with Port coming off a high against Richmond a game they would have had eyes on all preseason and with the loss of a number of players.
GO BLUES!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:09 pm 
Robert Walls

We're a month in now, so I think you can start to judge players with a reasonable amount of data.

I'm not as set against Dow as some others but he's averaging 12.5 disposals across the first month, and statistically speaking, his best game was his first.
Setterfield is averaging 13.7 from three games, although that's skewed slightly by a very quiet game against Collingwood.

Every other player who mostly plays midfield is putting up better numbers in the opening month, so these two are the current 'weak links' in the midfield rotation.

From all reports the next three cabs off the rank for the midfield are Kennedy, Cunningham and Stocker.
Kennedy might make us a little slow in midfield (although against a midfield featuring Wines and Boak that might not be a huge issue).
Cunningham has pace, but doesn't really play full midfield minutes, so he's not a real replacement mid.
Stocker is a big chance.

Across the rest of the ground, you can sort-of point to moments in each game where most of the current best 22 did *something* to justify their spot (although in the case of Casboult the something is being able to ruck, and generally "working hard").

However, I don't actually expect us to make four changes to a winning team, assuming JSos is out and Plowman ends up being sore. We rarely make that many changes.

In regards to Silvagni, the obvious options are McDonald, McGovern or going smaller with Cunningham. Given how tall Port play up forward, I'd be tempted by McDonald as a swingman.

If Plowman is out, I'd play McDonald for the same reasons. Port play tall up forward with Dixon, Ladhams / Marshall and Georgiades. We probably need another tall option down back. I'd also think about playing Casboult back on Dixon, but we rarely mix things up like that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
Ah, OK thanks. Still, both Plowman & SOJ would have to be considered doubtful.

I share your concerns about Plowman, really looked in agony out there after he copped that knock. Anyway I'm sure our rehab team will manage it well :donk:

Not sure about the ins & outs at this stage - do we know if Williams was just a 1 weeker? I'm assuming Gibbons was OK after he went off last night? I'm a Mcgovern fan but not against keeping him in the 2s for another week or so. Get him primed for his return....we neglected to do that a couple of times last year.

Glad we're playing Port. They are a bloody good side & hopefully quality opposition lifts us a level or two, unlike the last 2 weeks against Freo & GC.

Pies only got 29k at the G last night. We should smash that!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:19 pm 
Ken Hands

Anyone know what estimated length of Williams injury is?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

From article about man on mark rule

He added that rather than stand the mark helplessly (unable to move unless they’re five metres from the mark), teams have increasingly chosen not to have a man on the mark at all, forcing the man with the ball to play on.

Port Adelaide, in particular, did this effectively on Friday night against the Tigers, who often kicked long to contests. “It’s already happening ... Port don’t go up the mark.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

Time to ....... "Tear them Apart"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Our moment of truth has arrived.I reckon we will stand up.....................we owe 'em actually.It too an after the siren kick by Robbie Gray to beat us last time.........we match up well on them............reckon McGovern and Williams will play and star..............we will brain these top of the ground front running show ponies.Hit 'em hard.Real hard.And keep hitting them.Put 'em right off there game.Physicality is the key for mine.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next