Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Here is the deal particularly for you BV
Of course there won’t be 9 changes but you can put forward a reasonable argument there should be particularly if the reserve players played a practice game last week which is ridiculous that it didn’t happen

All those players who I would like dropped have been very ordinary the last fortnight

As I have asked you before do you watch other games because if you have noticed it’s changed significantly from last year. It’s quicker and the fatigue factor is much higher with longer quarters and less bench rotations
Because of this the first guy I would have in the side is Cottrell as he is the best endurance runner at the club. On form in the games he has played he warrants a game
Williamson has been woeful and Cottrell can take his spot
Mc Donald can replace Casboult. To me that’s obvious. Why that didn’t happen last week was baffling given how McDonald played against Richmond.
Owies should be given a month of footy as a permanent small forward which is what Fisher and Martin both did against the Pies
If Carroll is fit I would play him for sure
Murphy is done. Everybody except Carlton know it. If it’s true that the club want him to play 300 as a reward for staying loyal well Carlton don’t deserve to win any games. The club is bigger than the individual. Right!
So he can play reserves till he can tackle which apparently he can’t because of his shoulder so tough retire him
Play Stocker instead
So that’s 5 definite changes I would make
As for the rest
Plowman I have never liked. Parks is that player to replace him. If Parks plays well and Plowman continues to serve up the same shit then drop him

Setterfield was woefully bad last week. He doesn’t go in hard enough when in the middle. Maybe he is on a wing for a reason. He ain’t a wingman because he has very little leg speed
Paddy Dow has had plenty of chances . Fourth year. He simply doesn’t get enough ball

To summarize for too long players at this club have not been held accountable for poor performances
The game continues to evolve. Too many passengers and your screwed
On the flip side other blokes don’t seem to get a decent go.
That’s the first thing I would do as Teague
Make every player accountable
You must bring pressure and intensity every week otherwise your dropped

The culture must change in this area
Why it doesn’t happen at this club is the disturbing bit

A post I agree with keogh, except the personal references with BV.

You didn't mention SOS, The Board, Mathison, Pratt, the others and other things.

Don't fuss the penny will drop or its time, but I reckon we are on the cusp of great change...not trying to be Blueman or anything.

We have right this minute First Rounders salivating and ready to get a shot, and we are worrying about changing 6 or 7:

Stocker
Philp
OBrien
Cuningham
Kennedy
McGovern
Marchbank

Kemp will push after round 12

ALL FIRST ROUNDERS.

and 2nd rounders

Carrol
Durdin
DeKoning.

OK, you get it now. WE have a young list.
Take off Murphy Curnow Casboult, and we really shouldn't miss them, but do.
That's momentary.

IMO, 5 or 6 of the above are going to come through, and we will have 16 or so Premiership players.

Come years end, Cripps will sign, maybe as a Finals captain, and there's 2 more imports front loaded to join the Blue Renaissance.
Charlie will come back, and he's cream.

Its not to fay, and these 2 rounds were agaiunst top teams as BV says.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:27 pm 
John Nicholls

Love your optimism bondi :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

I do disagree on a lot of what BV writes
I’m sure a lot Of what I write he disagrees with me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am 
Geoff Southby

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/894298?fbclid=IwAR2JPkmhvMfMFJ-Ei_74euFkntK9CMZlU3gsCkkxbJXf2r5-ECLTLTWiGYE

Parks to debut

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11 am 
Craig Bradley

grrofunger wrote:
Out: Fisher (inj), Martin (inj)
In: Betts, Cuningham

That is all i expect.

I wouldn't mind also

Out: Casboult
In: McDonald

@#$%&! the backup ruck issue

I'd like to see SOJ and Kennedy in the team too but not yet.

I mainly want to see players played in positions that match their strengths

Murphy - Midfield
SPS - Midfield/Half Forward
Setterfield - Inside Mid
Curnow - Tag/Inside Mid

Newnes/WIlliamson can fill the wings and push back as the 7th defender
One change is certain. Teague has announced Luke Parks is playing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:26 am 
Bruce Comben

Parks for Willo?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:31 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think Parks will probably take Williamson's spot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:34 am 
Bruce Doull

Freo's injury list is even bigger than Carlton's.
Don't win this and the Teague Train will be out of steam.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:58 am 
Harry Vallence

Asp wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
As for this statistic Carlton leading the 1%ers does anyone where these 1 %ers are being applied? forward, midfield and defense?

I didnt really notice any 1%ers in the forwardline whilst I watched the opposition waltz out of there with ease...sure, game plan opened us up, as it should in the forwardline in an attempt to stretch the opposition's defense, and also hurt their ability to apply team defense. The problem I had with game plan or attitude was watching Levi and Harry going up for marks and no crumbers in sight.

We need to get this forward pressure sorted. A tackle or two extra for each forward wont go astray. I mean real tackles that stick.

Now that you have mentioned tackling note that in two games Docherty, Gibbons, Fisher and Newnes have racked up a total of one tackle each over the two games and SPS has racked up two tackles in the two games. Our defensive pressure is pathetic, particularly in the front half. Other teams waltz out of heir backline like ballerinas and we go out of ours like sumo wrestlers.

Fully agree.

I also don’t believe that the number of tackles is necessarily a great indicator anyway

Murphy could lay 5 tackles and a good chance none stick. Misleading stat.

Comes down to accountability and each member of the team having that defensive mindset which puts the other team under constant pressure. That wins you grand finals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:50 am 
Rod Ashman

Wojee wrote:
Freo's injury list is even bigger than Carlton's.
Don't win this and the Teague Train will be out of steam.

Or derailed :banghead:
But we will win.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Betts and Silvagni me thinks are the obvious ins for Fisher and Martin.

And, I'm expecting Williamson to be dropped this week. Not hoping, expecting. At a stretch, I though Parks might be a possibility.

Wouldn't be surprised if Carroll is tried and takes Dows position, if not Williamsons, and Newnes plays HB.

Looks likely my dream will come true.

23yo one sided Williamson making way for 20yo former Swans Academy player, Parks, who can kick and handball on both sides and plays taller than his size. A great intercept mark, and that will be his role I'm hoping till Marchbank gets back in the team. Then Parks can be a HB who can jump high too, like Jeremy Howe. WE can't have too many skilled players in the backline.

Jack for Martin
Betts for Fisher

Murphy will survive, but prefer to see Carroll for him.

Change is inevitable in 2021. The changing of the guard. Move on the old and replace with the new!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

WOW wrote:
Asp wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
As for this statistic Carlton leading the 1%ers does anyone where these 1 %ers are being applied? forward, midfield and defense?

I didnt really notice any 1%ers in the forwardline whilst I watched the opposition waltz out of there with ease...sure, game plan opened us up, as it should in the forwardline in an attempt to stretch the opposition's defense, and also hurt their ability to apply team defense. The problem I had with game plan or attitude was watching Levi and Harry going up for marks and no crumbers in sight.

We need to get this forward pressure sorted. A tackle or two extra for each forward wont go astray. I mean real tackles that stick.

Now that you have mentioned tackling note that in two games Docherty, Gibbons, Fisher and Newnes have racked up a total of one tackle each over the two games and SPS has racked up two tackles in the two games. Our defensive pressure is pathetic, particularly in the front half. Other teams waltz out of heir backline like ballerinas and we go out of ours like sumo wrestlers.

Fully agree.

I also don’t believe that the number of tackles is necessarily a great indicator anyway

Murphy could lay 5 tackles and a good chance none stick. Misleading stat.

Comes down to accountability and each member of the team having that defensive mindset which puts the other team under constant pressure. That wins you grand finals.

I agree, Ive watched the 2 games we've played this year, and Murphy's tackle was a third in tackle. He doesn't tackle to stop anyone.

Newnes is a hard body and does a lot of 1%ers (I don't know if they count as 1%ers on Champion Data).

For me Newnes is a top up to fill a role the kids can't. I love the way Newnes runs all day, fills holes and fights for the ball. He tries to strip the ball. I'm surprised he only had one tackle last week, but the media haven't got a clue what they are saying lumping Newnes in the list of our bottom 8. He's been good for us, and probably not in our next Premiership.

Pressure comes in all forms.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:22 pm 
Serge Silvagni

killpies wrote:

Great selection. The kid can really play. Outstanding mark for his size. But please don't sit him on the bench - play him at half back from the first bounce and move SPS up the ground to replace Fisher or Jack. Now need to bring in Stocker and another first gamer. Would be surprised if SOS2 and Eddie are available but would play both of them if they are.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mar ... 57g0b.html

Murphy set to retain spot as Carlton face must-win clash
Peter Ryan
By Peter Ryan
April 1, 2021 — 6.17pm

Out-of-form Carlton veteran Marc Murphy is set to get another chance to recapture his form in the Blues’ must-win match against Fremantle on Easter Sunday after a slow start to the season playing as a high half forward.

Injuries to Jack Martin and Zac Fisher have made it difficult for the Blues to consider wholesale changes for the game at Marvel Stadium with sources saying the club would back their former skipper in against the Dockers.

Murphy’s ball use and poise is considered a potential asset for Carlton forward of centre however his defensive pressure was below par against Collingwood after a reasonable showing against the Tigers in round one and there have been calls for David Teague to make a statement at selection.

He has played the past 29 games, kicking the winning goal in Perth against Fremantle in the second match of that run in 2019, and signed a one-year deal for 2021.

The Blues’ coach is focused on those selected playing a contested brand of football with Luke Parks to make his debut because the coach is confident the rookie selection will compete while forward Jack Silvagni is a chance to return from injury and veteran forward Eddie Betts is also in contention to play his first game for the season.

He also expects Patrick Cripps to be close to his best after being down on form in the first two matches while carrying an injury.

“Patrick is a great leader for our football club and the hard thing right now is he’s not playing the way he wants to play,” Teague said.

“He has had an injury and he’s been a bit sore, but when he gets to game day he’s been putting his hand up to play. He’s not executing to the level he would love to execute at.

“I have absolutely belief that it’ll happen this weekend: I’ll back him in. He’s someone that I’d love to run out alongside and tuck in behind him as captain of a football club.”

If the 34-year-old Betts plays on Sunday there is a chance Carlton’s team could have five players aged 30 and above against Fremantle as they look to kick start the next phase of their rebuild amidst an injury list that includes Martin, Fisher, Charlie Curnow, Caleb Marchbank and Nic Newman.

Not only are Carlton desperate for a win to keep them in the finals hunt, they face a Fremantle outfit that has been equally disrupted by injury.

Although dynamic forward Michael Walters is a chance to return, the Dockers will be without dual Brownlow medallist Nathan Fyfe after he was concussed against the Giants.

Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling, Darcy Tucker and Rory Lobb are also sidelined.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:18 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:

Its not blind optimism.

We have a lot in our favour to build a Premiership team.

Glass half full.

Carrying players who are conditional, and I'm not talking just Murphy, Williamson...ofcourse we will lose games. We have to look beyond them and call them for what they are.

If we stop looking for excuses for "our" favourite players and call them out for their weaknesses, and stop selective listening to David King & Co blaming our losses to change in rules / Teague's game plan, we will weed out all the weaknesses and replace them with untried quality to join our 10 best players.

Quote:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mick-mcguane/mick-mcguane-pressure-on-david-teague-and-his-underperforming-carlton-side/news-story/9accf5666136c97843520481e842b89a

Quote:
David Teague, the honeymoon is over.

I’m looking at you as much as the players you’re demanding more ruthlessness from. What are you going to accept?

Quote:

I’m looking at you as much as the players you’re demanding more ruthlessness from. What are you going to accept?

In labelling Carlton’s team defence as the biggest issue in the first half of last week’s defeat to Collingwood, it wasn’t the first time Teague’s used the ‘ruthless’ word.

It was also part of his post-match critique of last year’s shock loss to Adelaide in Round 17.

The time has come for there to be a sacrificial lamb to make clear there will be consequences when there are repeated breakdowns or lacking efforts.

Those easy goals, which some posters on footy forums blame on Teague's game plan, posting assertively that the easy goals the Pies scored against us, no one could defend, you need to stop listening to posters like me and read Mick Maguane's article for more.

Here's a snippet.

Quote:
And it’s not Lachie Plowman, the man who copped the brunt of the external criticism for the number of goals he conceded, even if he could’ve been far stronger in the contest.

For me, it’s Tom Williamson. Williamson can’t survive the axe after what I saw take place last Thursday night.

Quote:
A Carlton turnover in the centre – when Zac Williams slips and was caught holding the ball, having already missed a target in the same play – leads to Jordan De Goey putting through the opening goal, after a neat Jamie Elliott pass.

Again as the spare man minutes later, Williamson casually rolls into his defensive 50, but fails to go anywhere near impacting Elliott’s leading lane as the Pie marks and kicks their second goal.

Plowman, Williamson, Murphy, Cripps, they've all been called out by posters, and Saad doesn't escape Mick either (see TC Players thread).

The players have to take responsibility.

Nearly all posters have commented on the energy and defensive pressure from teams expected to finish bottom 4 in the preseason: Adeliade, Fremantle, Sydney, Gold Coast. Its proof we have more than the obvious half dozen who are playing conditional footy.

I'm not worried, because over the course of the year, these players and their type will be replaced by players like Parks (hasn't proven himself yet, but he's got a spot this week), because he's been nurtured by a better team culture, miles ahead of ours (Swans and Glenelg)....that would make keogh happy, and proves one of his points. Newman came from Sydney, and he's tough and uncompromising.

We will get another 6 good players from Trades in the next 2 years, plus the return of DeKoning and Newman, and later Charlie and Kemp.

We will come good.

Get real everybody, we have a lot of players not up to it thus far. Redemption starts this Sunday, but that's only the start. Tough, ruthless football is the standard week in week out, or go away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:20 am 
Bruce Doull

I have full confidence in our medical staff that silvagni isn't being rushed back before he's right. Yikes.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
I do disagree on a lot of what BV writes
I’m sure a lot Of what I write he disagrees with me

When you suggest 9 changes and one inclusion is a player who hasn't played football this year, yes, I would disagree with that. :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

A huge difference between the way we played Collingwood compared to the way the Lions did. They knew their ruckman wasn't going to impact so they played physical football against the Collingwood mids. Very few easy exits from stoppages and Collingwood kicked zero goals from centre square stoppages.
The other difference was the defensive intent when Collingwood were running with the ball. The Lions players applied real chase pressure instead of the mock stuff we served up last week.
It's time to play some accountable football instead of the free and easy approach Teague values. The mids need to get back to assist and the forwards have to get up the ground to provide D50 exit options. The midfield pressure is piss poor and we're consistently leaving our defenders one out with opposition midfielders providing lace out service. Forget this "stretch the ground" crap. It's time for some aggressive, contested footy. We have the 4th worst average for conceding marks inside the opposition forward 50 and we're conceding the 2nd most inside 50's a game.

Forget their injuries. The Dockers are 3rd in the AFL for contested footy and the best at reducing their opponents average contested possessions. They'll be here for the fight.

It's line in the sand time for our club.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:18 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Its not blind optimism.

We have a lot in our favour to build a Premiership team.

Glass half full.

Carrying players who are conditional, and I'm not talking just Murphy, Williamson...ofcourse we will lose games. We have to look beyond them and call them for what they are.

If we stop looking for excuses for "our" favourite players and call them out for their weaknesses, and stop selective listening to David King & Co blaming our losses to change in rules / Teague's game plan, we will weed out all the weaknesses and replace them with untried quality to join our 10 best players.

Quote:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mick-mcguane/mick-mcguane-pressure-on-david-teague-and-his-underperforming-carlton-side/news-story/9accf5666136c97843520481e842b89a

Quote:

Quote:

In labelling Carlton’s team defence as the biggest issue in the first half of last week’s defeat to Collingwood, it wasn’t the first time Teague’s used the ‘ruthless’ word.

It was also part of his post-match critique of last year’s shock loss to Adelaide in Round 17.

The time has come for there to be a sacrificial lamb to make clear there will be consequences when there are repeated breakdowns or lacking efforts.

Those easy goals, which some posters on footy forums blame on Teague's game plan, posting assertively that the easy goals the Pies scored against us, no one could defend, you need to stop listening to posters like me and read Mick Maguane's article for more.

Here's a snippet.

Quote:
And it’s not Lachie Plowman, the man who copped the brunt of the external criticism for the number of goals he conceded, even if he could’ve been far stronger in the contest.

For me, it’s Tom Williamson. Williamson can’t survive the axe after what I saw take place last Thursday night.

Quote:
A Carlton turnover in the centre – when Zac Williams slips and was caught holding the ball, having already missed a target in the same play – leads to Jordan De Goey putting through the opening goal, after a neat Jamie Elliott pass.

Again as the spare man minutes later, Williamson casually rolls into his defensive 50, but fails to go anywhere near impacting Elliott’s leading lane as the Pie marks and kicks their second goal.

Plowman, Williamson, Murphy, Cripps, they've all been called out by posters, and Saad doesn't escape Mick either (see TC Players thread).

The players have to take responsibility.

Nearly all posters have commented on the energy and defensive pressure from teams expected to finish bottom 4 in the preseason: Adeliade, Fremantle, Sydney, Gold Coast. Its proof we have more than the obvious half dozen who are playing conditional footy.

I'm not worried, because over the course of the year, these players and their type will be replaced by players like Parks (hasn't proven himself yet, but he's got a spot this week), because he's been nurtured by a better team culture, miles ahead of ours (Swans and Glenelg)....that would make keogh happy, and proves one of his points. Newman came from Sydney, and he's tough and uncompromising.

We will get another 6 good players from Trades in the next 2 years, plus the return of DeKoning and Newman, and later Charlie and Kemp.

We will come good.

Get real everybody, we have a lot of players not up to it thus far. Redemption starts this Sunday, but that's only the start. Tough, ruthless football is the standard week in week out, or go away.

I can’t disagree with any of that.
I’m also optimistic and also recognise we need to sift through a bunch of players who will just not make it.
The only point for me is to make sure of a guy like Dow who has shown a lot of promise in glimpses before we mark his papers - is that all he’s capable of or will he be able to turn that into 4quarter performances...
But overall I agree with everything BB has written above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next