Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
keogh wrote:
What should happen
INS
Cottrell Owies Stocker Carroll Parks Durdin Honey McDonald to play in starting 22 Silvangi
OUT
Plowman
Setterfield
Murphy
Williamson
Dow
Martin
Fisher
Casboult
Cripps( he is clearly injured)

Durdin be the 23 rd player
What will happen
OUT
Fisher Martin
IN
McGovern Betts
Honey is MIA
Carroll has a busted thumb

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Busted thumb?

When did that happen?
Where did you hear that?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
What should happen
INS
Cottrell Owies Stocker Carroll Parks Durdin Honey McDonald to play in starting 22 Silvangi
OUT
Plowman
Setterfield
Murphy
Williamson
Dow
Martin
Fisher
Casboult

What will happen
OUT
Fisher Martin
IN
McGovern Betts

It was a disappointing loss but 9 changes? :lol:
Give me a @#$%&! break. I'd hate to see some of you in a real crisis. We've lost to last years premiers and semi finalist. Yes I thought we should have knocked off Collingwood but let's not go totally feral.

Some of the players suggested haven't had a kick in the VFL. :grin:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/574156/after-talking-the-talk-carlton-s-suddenly-dead-last-in-this-key-stat-in-2021

More to it than that.

Quote:
According to Champion Data, Carlton is dead-last in the League for pressure factor (1.61) so far this season. It's a damning statistic, one that is compounded by the fact it also ranks second-last for tackle efficiency (54.9 percent) and last overall for tackle differential (-15.0) within the entire competition.

In essence, that means the Blues are rarely applying pressure. And it means that on the few occasions when they are applying pressure, that pressure can be described as ineffective at best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
What should happen
INS
OUT
Plowman
Setterfield
Murphy
Williamson
Dow
Martin
Fisher
Casboult

What will happen
OUT
Fisher Martin
IN
McGovern Betts

https://www.afl.com.au/news/574156/after-talking-the-talk-carlton-s-suddenly-dead-last-in-this-key-stat-in-2021

Quote:
... another reason why the club's selection committee will likely recall veteran Eddie Betts for this Sunday's pivotal clash with Fremantle. Last year, the 34-year-old ranked just outside the League's top-10 for tackles inside-50, with the Blues desperate to find more avenues to create pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:20 pm 
Bruce Doull

According to this our 2s have a praccy match against Williamstown at some stage this weekend

https://www.williamstownfc.com.au/news/ ... nnounced-2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
According to this our 2s have a praccy match against Williamstown at some stage this weekend

Thanks heaps CK. That's great news. :thumbsup:

Willy a good team too. Probably better than some of the AFL reserves teams.

Better than last week: nothing.

I hope they are locked in for another the following weekend, then the one after that too.

Our club should be letting us know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

They should.

They should be updating this too

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/matches/injury-list

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

PLAYER INJURY ESTIMATED RETURN from afl.com.au

Bailey Banfield......Ankle..........2 weeks
Brett Bewlen........Groin..........4 weeks
Mitch Crowden.......Calf...........2-3 weeks
Nat Fyfe.............Concussion....1 week
Joel Hamling..........Ankle.........3-5 weeks

Stephen Hill.........Hamstring........TBA
Rory Lobb ...............Knee ........3-4 weeks
Griffin Logue........Hamstring........1 week
Alex Pearce...........Knee............5-7 weeks
Darcy Tucker......Hamstring 3 weeks

Following possible inclusions this week

Michael Walters .....Hamstring Test
Tobe Watson.........Hamstring Test
Liam Henry.............Calf.............Test
Sam Sturt.................................available

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
What should happen
INS
OUT
Plowman
Setterfield
Murphy
Williamson
Dow
Martin
Fisher
Casboult

What will happen
OUT
Fisher Martin
IN
McGovern Betts

Give me a @#$%&! break. I'd hate to see some of you in a real crisis. We've lost to last years premiers and semi finalist. Yes I thought we should have knocked off Collingwood but let's not go totally feral.

More to it than that.

Quote:
According to Champion Data, Carlton is dead-last in the League for pressure factor (1.61) so far this season. It's a damning statistic, one that is compounded by the fact it also ranks second-last for tackle efficiency (54.9 percent) and last overall for tackle differential (-15.0) within the entire competition.

In essence, that means the Blues are rarely applying pressure. And it means that on the few occasions when they are applying pressure, that pressure can be described as ineffective at best.

Get serious. 9 changes and bringing in 2 players who haven't had a kick in the 2's. FMD. :lol:
Let's look a bit beyond the sensationalist headlines. Yes we're last for tackles but the reigning premiers who are 2nd on the ladder are 16th for tackles with 3 more per game. We're 3rd in the AFL for 1%ers but of course that's not a negative so we don't report that.

Our game style leaves us open to get smashed on the turnover. That's a coaching flaw, not a personnel flaw. Last year we were 4th in the AFL for tackles, 4th for clearances and 5th for contested possessions. As a collective, our players have never shied away from physical footy. Let's give them a game style that suits the personnel and not the highlight reel and they'll perform to their potential.

Wholesale demotions aren't the answer. Kicking the @#$%&! coaches up the arse should be the first port of call.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Its a fast dry track this week. Possibly indoors. Marking should be a feature

The Freo backline Height / Age

B: Young 189/ 20....Cox 195/22......Chapman 193/19

HB: Conca 185/28.....Ryan 186/25.......Wilson 185/28

vs

McKay 205/ 24
Levi 200 / 30 or McDonald 196/24
Silvagni 194/24

Looks like we will have a height advantage with our KPF's, but they have a few taller than the following mosquito fleet who could help double team when they can

Betts 175/ 35
Fogarty 180/23
Gibbons 175/24
Murphy 178/34

I expect plenty of goals from the above.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:55 pm 
Banned

CK95 wrote:

Hope its true Seagulls have a pretty good young squad this year... added Cam Polsen, Macreadie, Gallucci, Sam Murray and Mitch Hibberd.... players that have been in the AFL system for abit will be good for our lads.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
keogh wrote:
What should happen
INS
OUT
Plowman
Setterfield
Murphy
Williamson
Dow
Martin
Fisher
Casboult

What will happen
OUT
Fisher Martin
IN
McGovern Betts

More to it than that.

Quote:

Get serious. 9 changes and bringing in 2 players who haven't had a kick in the 2's. FMD. :lol:
Let's look a bit beyond the sensationalist headlines. Yes we're last for tackles but the reigning premiers who are 2nd on the ladder are 16th for tackles with 3 more per game. We're 3rd in the AFL for 1%ers but of course that's not a negative so we don't report that.

Our game style leaves us open to get smashed on the turnover. That's a coaching flaw, not a personnel flaw. Last year we were 4th in the AFL for tackles, 4th for clearances and 5th for contested possessions. As a collective, our players have never shied away from physical footy. Let's give them a game style that suits the personnel and not the highlight reel and they'll perform to their potential.

Wholesale demotions aren't the answer. Kicking the @#$%&! coaches up the arse should be the first port of call.

Oi. I'm just pointing out some weaknesses reported in the media. Don't ignore them. They are empirical.

You are doing a good job highlighting the areas the media have missed. That's great. Thanks for sharing.

Forget about what the other teams are doing for now. Are you ignoring the damning stats highlighted in the media? There's more than what you just mentioned. See above.

I think the problem is more than just the coaches game plan, but I'm not dismissing it. There's problems, plural. There's the players who have to take responsibility too, but you're choosing to dismiss that. That's not a balanced approach either, imo.

Have a listen to recent chats with Weitering, Cripps and some who heard about the Teague outburst and of the players' honest appraisal of each others game on Friday's review. Following that appraisal the players trained the house down. ie implies there was a appreciation of the players' shortfalls and a welcome change in players attitude on the track. Do you acknowledge that. Its important. That should tell you something. That's above and beyond the problem with the game plan, which I understand.

There's a strong possibility the players were drinking their own bath water before round 1 and again in round 2. From my tv I could see plenty of players ball watching, giving their opponent 3-4 metre distance and plenty of other player mistakes. Surely you did too. I don't know anyone who didn't.

Injuries aside. We are talking about a collective working together and committed for the whole game.

I don't believe everything the media say, but the empirical is just that. I don't think Plowman is in our bottom 8 players. If Crippa says he right to go, I believe him. Russell says 10 day break will do a world of good. Great. They are keepers. There are no magic alternatives for those 2 players.

No way would there be, nor would I want 9 changes. I want 4 changes, but expect 3 with 2 forced by injury.

Its no secret for 2 years I wanted to see Murphy retire because I'm not interested in cameos and conditional effort. I doubt he will make way for a young one. Say something about him.

I also have said I want to get past Ed, but am pragmatic to know we still need him till someone takes his spot.

I don't want Williamson in our team. I didn't like what I saw as his weaknesses last year, and its happening again this year. They can't be fixed. His weapons are also his achilles heal. Catch 22.

We need to tighten up the game plan and the players need to bring smarts and effort, and never say die attitude.

Giving up goals in red time is another issue from last year and the year before. The players giving up altogether in the last 5 minutes in the last 2 games is unacceptable. Do you know the number of red time goals kicked against us, and how many we have kicked? Its damning, but thnkfully hasn't been mentioned by the media. The players gave up the fight, just as WCE coach says about the character of our players.

All I am saying to you BV is if youre looking at the reasons for our losses you DO need to have a look at the players too. Its not just the coaching plan, which I agree with you on that.

A huge effort required by ALL 22 players playing.

Now I'm going back to see who is likely be playing, and how we can overcome this injury riddled team of youngsters from the west with a win from an improved attitude and an improved game plan that suits our personnel, whilst combating the strengths of the opposition.

Mundy worries me. I expect Walters and Henry to return and Walters worries me too because we play too loose and sometimes unaccountable in the backline of late.

Hope the 10 day break allowed us enough time to sharpen the sword.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

As for this statistic Carlton leading the 1%ers does anyone where these 1 %ers are being applied? forward, midfield and defense?

I didnt really notice any 1%ers in the forwardline whilst I watched the opposition waltz out of there with ease...sure, game plan opened us up, as it should in the forwardline in an attempt to stretch the opposition's defense, and also hurt their ability to apply team defense. The problem I had with game plan or attitude was watching Levi and Harry going up for marks and no crumbers in sight.

We need to get this forward pressure sorted. A tackle or two extra for each forward wont go astray. I mean real tackles that stick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Forget about what the other teams are doing for now. Are you ignoring the damning stats highlighted in the media? There's more than what you just mentioned. See above.

You're asking me to forget about what the other teams are doing yet the stat you're asking me to address compares us with how the other teams are doing.
All I'm saying is the media will cherry pick the stats that back up their theory. Let's look at the total picture.
I'm happy to see a couple of changes Bondi but suggestions of 9 are hysterical.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:19 pm 
Banned

2-3 changes injuries inclusive - I want to give them a chance to redeem that performance. or we will be making wholesale changes every week and that's never going to happen.
Teague needs to tighten things up and play smart tough football with good ball movement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Here is the deal particularly for you BV
Of course there won’t be 9 changes but you can put forward a reasonable argument there should be particularly if the reserve players played a practice game last week which is ridiculous that it didn’t happen

All those players who I would like dropped have been very ordinary the last fortnight

As I have asked you before do you watch other games because if you have noticed it’s changed significantly from last year. It’s quicker and the fatigue factor is much higher with longer quarters and less bench rotations
Because of this the first guy I would have in the side is Cottrell as he is the best endurance runner at the club. On form in the games he has played he warrants a game
Williamson has been woeful and Cottrell can take his spot
Mc Donald can replace Casboult. To me that’s obvious. Why that didn’t happen last week was baffling given how McDonald played against Richmond.
Owies should be given a month of footy as a permanent small forward which is what Fisher and Martin both did against the Pies
If Carroll is fit I would play him for sure
Murphy is done. Everybody except Carlton know it. If it’s true that the club want him to play 300 as a reward for staying loyal well Carlton don’t deserve to win any games. The club is bigger than the individual. Right!
So he can play reserves till he can tackle which apparently he can’t because of his shoulder so tough retire him
Play Stocker instead
So that’s 5 definite changes I would make
As for the rest
Plowman I have never liked. Parks is that player to replace him. If Parks plays well and Plowman continues to serve up the same shit then drop him

Setterfield was woefully bad last week. He doesn’t go in hard enough when in the middle. Maybe he is on a wing for a reason. He ain’t a wingman because he has very little leg speed
Paddy Dow has had plenty of chances . Fourth year. He simply doesn’t get enough ball

To summarize for too long players at this club have not been held accountable for poor performances
The game continues to evolve. Too many passengers and your screwed
On the flip side other blokes don’t seem to get a decent go.
That’s the first thing I would do as Teague
Make every player accountable
You must bring pressure and intensity every week otherwise your dropped

The culture must change in this area
Why it doesn’t happen at this club is the disturbing bit

Last edited by keogh on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Out: Fisher (inj), Martin (inj)
In: Betts, Cuningham

That is all i expect.

I wouldn't mind also

Out: Casboult
In: McDonald

@#$%&! the backup ruck issue

I'd like to see SOJ and Kennedy in the team too but not yet.

I mainly want to see players played in positions that match their strengths

Murphy - Midfield
SPS - Midfield/Half Forward
Setterfield - Inside Mid
Curnow - Tag/Inside Mid

Newnes/WIlliamson can fill the wings and push back as the 7th defender

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:28 pm 
Serge Silvagni

CK95 wrote:
Freo at docklands. Good opportunity to play a first gamer, or someone who's only played a handful. Stocker, Cottrell, Honey...please make it happen & not get stuck in a selection rut

Great call !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

You're asking me to forget about what the other teams are doing yet the stat you're asking me to address compares us with how the other teams are doing.
All I'm saying is the media will cherry pick the stats that back up their theory. Let's look at the total picture.
I'm happy to see a couple of changes Bondi but suggestions of 9 are hysterical.

Yeah, fair enough.

No one knows where we stand after 2 rounds, but wherever that is, we dont like it.
WE should beat a depleted Freo at home. But we should be prepared for some big changes over the course of the season.
All we are doing is raising red flags, from our POV

Not 9, but 7 or 6 or 4 or 3 changes doesnt make that much difference the way we are going.
Who knows. From little things big things grow. Sadly, atm, Carlton is a little thing in modern footy terms ...on field.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

We're just people on the outside of the inner sanctum with a love and maybe lust for the club.
We have an opinion. I'd like to get our house in order based on the perception for being an onlooker.

I'm glad the club is in the hands of really good people.
But its a team effort. Everyone is in and everyone has to have take some responsibility imo.

Im a Member and I demand better. But I know that demand falls on deaf ears, and hope does, cause I don't really mean everything I type. :wink: .

Its only 2 rounds in, and we can see the future unfolding.
Things will change maybe after they should have, but they will change, and right now we are gobsmacked after being intoxicated by the thought of FFFFFFFFF.

3 or 7 changes, really doesn't matter if we really believe in the 30 in our squad. OBrien included. Then we should be ruthless at the selection table.
All the kids in the twos are worth looking at.
I dont mind the current best 22 getting use to it either.
We will have to change 6 of them in the next 2 drafts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:53 pm 
Serge Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:
As for this statistic Carlton leading the 1%ers does anyone where these 1 %ers are being applied? forward, midfield and defense?

I didnt really notice any 1%ers in the forwardline whilst I watched the opposition waltz out of there with ease...sure, game plan opened us up, as it should in the forwardline in an attempt to stretch the opposition's defense, and also hurt their ability to apply team defense. The problem I had with game plan or attitude was watching Levi and Harry going up for marks and no crumbers in sight.

We need to get this forward pressure sorted. A tackle or two extra for each forward wont go astray. I mean real tackles that stick.

Now that you have mentioned tackling note that in two games Docherty, Gibbons, Fisher and Newnes have racked up a total of one tackle each over the two games and SPS has racked up two tackles in the two games. Our defensive pressure is pathetic, particularly in the front half. Other teams waltz out of heir backline like ballerinas and we go out of ours like sumo wrestlers.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next