Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Hornet wrote:
As the home team are we allocated more tickets than the opposition like the tigers were last week?

Yes, We dictate how many tickets we allocate to the filth.

Last week there were 50,000 available to Richmond and they decided to allocate us only 2,000.

If they increase the capacity to 75,000 we should take 70,000 and give the FILTH 5,000

No we should allocate the full 75,000 to us and "Stuff the rest"

The AFL are giving us 41,300 in about ... right now!

Members start calling for your tickets.

Get 'em while they're hot

WE can offer left overs like Tigers did last week to us.

Its amazing that MCG Members and AFL Members and Corporates get their hands on just over 30,000 seats...they should offer some to Filth supporters after 73,000 Carlton Members did not get a look in last week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:06 pm 
Rod Ashman

Got my ticket, so i am good to go. To my surprise it was an easy process

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

Jez1966 wrote:
Got my ticket, so i am good to go. To my surprise it was an easy process

Same, got on to ticketek straight away and got tickets on level 2, P12.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:48 pm 
Rod Ashman

carntheblues wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Collingwood will come hard at us (obviously) - not just because they lost last week and not just because we are their biggest rivals - but because in the AFL, Carlton are recognised as the soft team that you can turn your season around and get a win if you go in hard.

For Carlton’s self respect and AFL respect we have to send a message to the rest of the AFL and not only win but win well.

I gather from this you have spoken to all the officials/coaches from all other clubs otherwise I suggest the statement should read "because in the AFL, I think Carlton are recognised as a soft team that you can turn your season around and get a win if you go in hard.

I think that all teams know that while Murphy is very damaging with ball in hand, he does not have the strength in his banged up shoulders to stick a hard tackle and therefore you can run past him.
I also think a few of our players have soft reputations (which I don't entirely agree with but that's the perception - even on this Forum, let alone amongst opposition teams).
My perception is that we have over the past few years tended to get ahead of ourselves - either during a game if we get a few goals up or if we win a couple of matches, we tend to believe our own hype that we are headed north. So, we have often won against strong opposition unexpectedly, but then followed up with a loss to a weaker team.
Also, in recent seasons it looks to me like we are sometimes thinking too much - esp under Bolton - or too little. Too much - we get the ball and fiddle with it or hold on to it too long or its like we're trying to work out what system to play. Too little - when we seem to bang it straight onto the boot without lowering our eyes, or panicking when we have more time than we think...

I also remember when Mitch Robinson made that observation about the Demons when he was 'cracking in hard' for us under Ratten.
So, at the end of the day, I think we need to harden up mentally first, and then physically.

Last week showed great improvement in our intensity and our systems.
But we still have work to do on our skills and our composure.
e.g. Against the Tigers, Riewoldt had 10 disposals, 4 marks, 9 kicks and kicked 4 goals (and 5 AFLCA votes). McKay also had 10 disposals, 6 marks, 7 kicks and but kicked 2 goals. Similar stats, 2 goal difference. Crippa had 28 disposals but only 8 of them were kicks (Dusty had 31 disposals with 19 kicks...).

We need to bring the same intensity and 'connection' against the Pies. But we need to improve our skills and composure, even just a little bit (with more improvement each week).

In: Williams, Martin, McDonald
Out: Silvagni, O'Brien, Williamson
Medical sub: Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-afl-teams-team-whispers-team-tips-ins-and-outs-afl-team-news-injuries-round-2-team-tips/news-story/6e8a7a1a3708d3598e80b10ef391d159

Matt Balmer from Foxsports suggests the following:

IN: Williams Martin McDonald
OUT: OBrien Silvagni Casboult

Intersting, and I'm guessing based on Levi looking underdone last week, assuming he's injured.
Not sure if its the opposite to that: Levi will be better for the run.

Quote:
CARLTON v COLLINGWOOD

Thursday March 25, 7.20pm at the MCG

BLUES

B: L.Plowman, L.Jones, T.Williamson

HB: S.Docherty, J.Weitering, A.Saad

C: W.Setterfield, P.Cripps, M.Murphy

HF: L.Fogarty, H.McKay, J.Newnes

F: Z.Fisher, O.McDonald, M.Gibbons

FOLL: M.Pittonet, Z.Williams, S.Walsh

I/C: S.Petrevski-Seton, J.Martin, P.Dow, E.Curnow

MAGPIES

B: B.Maynard, J.Roughead, J.Madgen

HB: J.Crisp, D.Moore, J.Howe

C: J.Noble, S.Pendlebury, T.Brown

HF: J.Elliott, B.Mihocek, W.Hoskin-Elliott

F: J.Daicos, M.Cox, J.Thomas

FOLL: B.Grundy, T.Adams, J.De Goey

I/C: S.Sidebottom, I.Quaynor, N.Murphy, B.Sier

Explanation of his selections...

Quote:
Team Tips: Carlton will have two big inclusions with Jack Martin and Zac Williams available for selection. A calf complaint kept Martin out of the season-opener but he appears all but certain to play in Thursday’s clash. Jack Silvagni (shoulder) won’t play, while Oscar McDonald (two goals) may have done enough to get ahead of Levi Casboult. With just nine touches against the Tigers, Lachie O’Brien could also fall out of the 22. Steele Sidebottom is ready to return to the Collingwood side for the blockbuster after a pre-season calf issue. Nathan Murphy’s best-on-ground display in the VFL would put him firm in line for a spot in the 23. The experience of Chris Mayne may also be needed by Nathan Buckley.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'd like to see:

Williams, Martin and Betts play in this HUGE game.

MC can work out the logistics if it is to be.

If Eddie plays, it will be his 200th Game for Carlton, and time for another BIG Milestone banner.

Not sure if this current group does well in Milestone games...if that's the case...maybe not this game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

200 for Eddie & 50 for Harry.

Couldn't think of a better bloke to be coming past for a handball when Harry inevitably finds himself pinned in the left forward pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Harry needs to just try and keep Darcy Moore away from the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Matt Balmer from Foxsports suggests the following:

IN: Williams Martin McDonald
OUT: OBrien Silvagni Casboult

Levi as sub might be ok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:27 pm 
Serge Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Asp wrote:

No time to be philosophical. He is a spud who was on the trade table last year and no one was interested. Can't understand how he even got a game. There are better players kicking down the door. We made a huge investment in Stocker, so time to give him a few games rather than wasting 4 weeks on O'Brien.
There seems to be an obsession within our club that we have to justify our high draft picks (O'Brien / Dow) to prove that we got it right, when it is better to say, "sorry - we stuffed it up" and move on. We have recruited some good kids in the last two drafts. Time to give some of them a go.

:clap:

to add to that we are nursing Murphy to 300 games. He has 14 to go.

Would Clarkson gift Murphy 14 games to reach 300. Yes, the apt word in this case is "Gift" for obvious reasons.

I tell you what, Clarkson wouldn't be toying with the idea of Murphy continuing his career in 2022. I think Murph realises that too after labouring in the chase last game. The game has gone past him. We need more than cameos.

But, out of respect we have to find another 14 of 21 games left in this season ... what a drag.

So Murphy has one bad game and needs to go on to the scrapheap ? I would rather have 14 more games of Murphy than one more of the total spuds like O'Brien and Dow. When have either of them played a good game ? How often have they ever hit double possession numbers ? How many Brownrlow
votes ? We have recruited well. Get rid of the dead wood like Dow and O'Brien and give the good new kids a go. They could not do any worse than those two losers. And I wish that people would stop making excuses for the losers, it is getting boring.. They are a total waste of space. Neither will be on our list next year. Take that to the bank ! And I said the same thing about Polson before the morons gave him a 2 year contract extension. Didn't that work out well !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:15 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Crusader wrote:
B: Docherty Jones Plowman
HB: Saad Weitering SPS
C: Williams Cripps Walsh
R: Pittonet Setterfield Curnow
HF: Newnes McKay Martin
F: Betts Casboult Fisher

I: Murphy Fogarty Dow Gibbons
23: McDonald

Not too much of a stretch to drop Murphy now that Martin & Williams are back in the wing/half forward rotation, but I think the strategy will be to drag Moore & Howe out of position & score through the smalls.

Pretty good line up. Well done . Although I would rather have one of the new kids in instead of spud waste of space Dow. How he gets a run in the midfield rotation ahead of Gibbons is mind-blowing. Replace Dow with McDonald and bring in Durdin as 23. The kid can play.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Dow's has been good this year so far

There were plenty worse than him thursday

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:00 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Asp wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Asp wrote:

No time to be philosophical. He is a spud who was on the trade table last year and no one was interested. Can't understand how he even got a game. There are better players kicking down the door. We made a huge investment in Stocker, so time to give him a few games rather than wasting 4 weeks on O'Brien.
There seems to be an obsession within our club that we have to justify our high draft picks (O'Brien / Dow) to prove that we got it right, when it is better to say, "sorry - we stuffed it up" and move on. We have recruited some good kids in the last two drafts. Time to give some of them a go.

Would Clarkson gift Murphy 14 games to reach 300. Yes, the apt word in this case is "Gift" for obvious reasons.

I tell you what, Clarkson wouldn't be toying with the idea of Murphy continuing his career in 2022. I think Murph realises that too after labouring in the chase last game. The game has gone past him. We need more than cameos.

But, out of respect we have to find another 14 of 21 games left in this season ... what a drag.

So Murphy has one bad game and needs to go on to the scrapheap ? I would rather have 14 more games of Murphy than one more of the total spuds like O'Brien and Dow. When have either of them played a good game ? How often have they ever hit double possession numbers ? How many Brownrlow
votes ? We have recruited well. Get rid of the dead wood like Dow and O'Brien and give the good new kids a go. They could not do any worse than those two losers. And I wish that people would stop making excuses for the losers, it is getting boring.. They are a total waste of space. Neither will be on our list next year. Take that to the bank ! And I said the same thing about Polson before the morons gave him a 2 year contract extension. Didn't that work out well !

I'm not interested in carrying anybody regardless of Draft Selection, Seniorirty and Past Performances. I think we have enough beauties on our list now, when fully fit, we can push for top 4. Its my opinion. Injuries curtail all well laid out plans. DeKoning is a huge out, as is Curnow. The 3 indigenous boys, Williams, Martin and Betts were missed last week. Either one of Marchbank or Newman when fit would replace Williamson, who needs to work on a few of his flaws in the VFL too: too expensive on the big stage. WE have no other choice for 7th Defender. Both SPS and Williamson may not be the right choices. I don't know, just guessing from afar.

Murphy, arguably, is past his use by date. I selected him in my Best 22 as a HFF at the beginning of the year because I thought he would add value there. He does, but on the flip side, he is also a liability with his inability/ or lack of will, to tackle and chase....from what I, and everyone else saw last Thursday. We have to rid our team of all weaknesses to become a super team. Ive explained my preference of Betts to Murphy in the forwardline.

I am not the MC, so what I think doesn't count, and they have their reasons. I have Gibbons ahead of Murphy, Dow and OBrien, and understand what the MC is trying to do with Dow, but he needs to either bring his run and carry (his weapons) to the game, or have another year developing his upper body strength and his weapon in the VFL, until needed in the seniors.

This year is the season of transition. The MC will experiment and try to find out more about the list, especially whilst injury list has been so big prior to round 1.. We have to get use to it I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:37 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:

Agreed and give the kid a few games to find his rhythm. LOB too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:52 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Asp wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Asp wrote:

I'm not interested in carrying anybody regardless of Draft Selection, Seniorirty and Past Performances. I think we have enough beauties on our list now, when fully fit, we can push for top 4. Its my opinion. Injuries curtail all well laid out plans. DeKoning is a huge out, as is Curnow. The 3 indigenous boys, Williams, Martin and Betts were missed last week. Either one of Marchbank or Newman when fit would replace Williamson, who needs to work on a few of his flaws in the VFL too: too expensive on the big stage. WE have no other choice for 7th Defender. Both SPS and Williamson may not be the right choices. I don't know, just guessing from afar.

Murphy, arguably, is past his use by date. I selected him in my Best 22 as a HFF at the beginning of the year because I thought he would add value there. He does, but on the flip side, he is also a liability with his inability/ or lack of will, to tackle and chase....from what I, and everyone else saw last Thursday. We have to rid our team of all weaknesses to become a super team. Ive explained my preference of Betts to Murphy in the forwardline.

I am not the MC, so what I think doesn't count, and they have their reasons. I have Gibbons ahead of Murphy, Dow and OBrien, and understand what the MC is trying to do with Dow, but he needs to either bring his run and carry (his weapons) to the game, or have another year developing his upper body strength and his weapon in the VFL, until needed in the seniors.

This year is the season of transition. The MC will experiment and try to find out more about the list, especially whilst injury list has been so big prior to round 1.. We have to get use to it I guess.

I would be very cautious about our expectations for TDK. He has shown promise, and his attack on the game is great. BUT, we should expect him to take some time to become a genuine top line ruckman. Tim English also has v high expectations on him but the Dogs brought in Stef Martin to provide support as he continues to develop.
I am concerned that we place high expectations on him and then tear him down prematurely when he fails to live up to those expectations. I think Dow has been a victim of this, esp after his first year showed such promise. Where his contemporaries Cerra & LDU have just recently begun to deliver on their promise, I feel like Dow's development has been stunted by a) throwing him in the thick of it too early, and then b) loss of confidence when he wasn't able to deliver at that level early on (esp from Yr2).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:14 am 
Craig Bradley

Williams for O'Brien
Martin for Murphy
McDonald for JSOS to provide another marking target

I'm hoping that Stocker puts his hand up soon to come in and play half back so we can move SPS to mid/forward

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jezzarules wrote:
sticksaftersiren87 wrote:

Agreed and give the kid a few games to find his rhythm. LOB too.

Agree re Dow, disagree re LOB.

LOB strikes me as the type of player who was probably an elite athlete as a kid, with that and a nice kick being favoured over footy smarts, ball winning ability and toughness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:16 pm 
Banned

Lachlan Sholl is the development path LOB should have taken. A few games to get a taste and given games as an opportunity to keep his spot.

They need to keep their spots when opportunity arises otherwise they are gifted games if not good enough.

Though I dont think LOB did badly just doesnt get enough of the ball and been in the system for few years to find the football.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:19 pm 
Banned

DOW is another that is not a Premiership type player as he also doesnt find enough of the football as a prime ball mover. But his tenacity and toughness around the football has improved.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
Lachlan Sholl is the development path LOB should have taken. A few games to get a taste and given games as an opportunity to keep his spot.

He should have at least been part of our Peter Dean Father/Son Academy- even though his dad didn’t get play enough games for him to be a father/son selection.

I don’t think Lachlan was ever on our radar.

He went at pick 64, I am sure we could have traded back into the draft at that stage.

Winston Churchill

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next