Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

We need to get smarter and scout players from other states and "relocate" them to our zones before draft eligibility.
I'm sure other clubs already do this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/wes ... 57egr.html

West isn’t best: why Cripps looks to stay Blue
Jake Niall
By Jake Niall
March 26, 2021 — 5.46pm

Follow all the action from Friday night’s Geelong-Brisbane Lions clash with our live coverage from 7.15pm AEDT, and Saturday’s AFL from 4pm.

West Coast and Fremantle are not expected to be strong suitors for Carlton’s star free agent and Western Australian Patrick Cripps, who rival clubs think is certain to re-sign with the Blues.

While Carlton have some distance to travel in negotiations over Cripps, who is one of the game’s most valued free agents this year - along with Bulldog Marcus Bontempelli, Giant Josh Kelly and Essendon*’s Zach Merrett - the view of clubs and industry sources is that the superstar midfielder is not gettable and that it is only a question of the terms - such as the length of contract - that he reaches with the Blues.
Carlton’s Patrick Cripps in action against Collingwood on Thursday.

Carlton’s Patrick Cripps in action against Collingwood on Thursday.Credit:Getty Images

The prospect of the Carlton skipper returning to Western Australia is viewed as highly improbable, according to industry sources, in large part because Cripps wants to stay with Carlton, whose salary cap position - and prospect of bringing in further seasoned quality recruits - will hinge on the amounts they pay Cripps and key forward Harry McKay, who is also coming off contract this year.

Rising star Sam Walsh, the club’s standout player this year, is coming out of contract next year and the Blues, who have been interested in Essendon*’s Merrett, may need to find space by letting a player go if they are to pursue a major target, industry sources said.

But even if Cripps entertained the Perth clubs, West Coast and Fremantle, like many clubs, would find it difficult to find room for a player that will command the $800,000-$1millon that the Carlton skipper would command if he exercised his rights as a free agent.

The Eagles have little salary-cap room, having told their playing group that they would not bring in any expensive players unless players of similar cost left the club. The Eagles made this commitment to the players when they organised an across-the-board pay cut of seven per cent for this season only.

Industry sources say the Dockers also have a tight salary cap, in part due to the contracts paid to West Australians who returned home, such Rory Lobb, Nathan Wilson, Reece Conca and Blake Acres. Skipper Nathan Fyfe’s (pre-COVID) salary exceeds $1 million a year (an estimated $6.5 million over six years) and runs until the end of 2023.

The Dockers will have a tight salary cap again at the end of this season, sources said, but that space would open up for the 2023 and 2024 seasons. They have chosen to go to the draft over the past two post-seasons after the ill-fated acquisition of Jesse Hogan from the Demons.

The length of contract that the Blues are prepared to offer their co-skipper is the most intriguing question for the free agent’s negotiation, given the battering that the champion has taken as arguably the game’s best inside midfielder and the relative lack of support he has received.

Some observers within the game wonder whether the new rules - which open up space and could result in fewer stoppages, placing more emphasis on leg speed - will suit the Carlton superstar, although he was superb against a fleet-footed Richmond in round one.

Carlton insiders also note that Cripps hails from some distance from Perth - he comes from Northhampton, which is nearly five hours from the WA capital, so he has less incentive to “come home”.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

IMO

We need to fill the gaps in our squad of 30, with better players than what some are showing now.
Maybe they are on our list now, but they haven't reached the stage to compete effectively in Finals footy against the best.
At the moment I have 10 bonafide Finals standard uncompromising players

We need more mongrel, toughness necessary to win unsociable Grand finals, let alone win week to week consistently.
We need players who play with confidence because they have plenty of speed, stamina and class.

B: Docherty Weitering ________

HB: Saad ___CHB___ _________

C: _________ Williams _________

FOLL: DeKoning Cripps Walsh

HF: Martin McKay _________

F: _________ C.Curnow __Fwd Ruck__

IC _______ ________ ________ _______

E: ___Fwd Ruck___ _______ ________ ________

E: _________ ________ ________ _______

Have confidence some gaps will be filled by Fisher, Kemp, Carroll, Philp, Marchbank, Stocker

a couple haven't played a game, but I have a feeling they will be beauties ... even have high hopes for Parks and Honey too.

The rest of our list, for now, imo are fill ins, or developing

I expect 2 gaps to be filled by 2 more high profile players in the Trades at the end of the season

Interesting of the 10 players I've picked, other than the 2 x No 1 Draft picks (no brainers) SOS recruited 4 of them in the 5 year rebuild, and 5 of the players I think will make the standard we expect. Jury is still out on first rounders Dow, OBrien, SPS, Setterfield, Cuniungham, McGovern, Kennedy, Plowman and SOS didn't select Silvagni. That's a lot of first rounders with question marks. 12 of them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:02 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
IMO....

We need more mongrel, toughness necessary to win unsociable Grand finals, let alone win week to week consistently.

I was hoping that this would come from some of our existing players.... And the coach (posted in the Teague thread) .. Doesn't seem to be happening...

Zac Williams was rubbed out round 1, but the positive was he SHOWED SOME!

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

I’m hoping some gaps will be filled by others too but relying on Marchbank Charlie and Kemp who all have effectively been injured for 2 years is a pipe dream
We have no idea whether Kemp actually is any good
Disappointed Charlie and a Marchbank are potentially amongst our most talented tall players but never get on the park
For either to become consistent senior players after being out for 2 years is a big ask

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
I’m hoping some gaps will be filled by others too but relying on Marchbank Charlie and Kemp who all have effectively been injured for 2 years is a pipe dream
We have no idea whether Kemp actually is any good
Disappointed Charlie and a Marchbank are potentially amongst our most talented tall players but never get on the park
For either to become consistent senior players after being out for 2 years is a big ask

I'm not relying on Marchbank Charlie and Kemp.

I'd put money on Charlie to be back and star at FF

Post subject: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am 
Craig Bradley

billc3 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
IMO....

I was hoping that this would come from some of our existing players.... And the coach (posted in the Teague thread) .. Doesn't seem to be happening...

Go Blues

When our coach showed some mongrel late last year some in our “leadership” group weren’t too impressed... kinda sums up our current predicament. As Judd once said, too many players looking after their own contract rather than team success... it’s plagued us for way too long.

We’re a nowhere club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:48 am 
Craig Bradley

Bondi I hope all comd good and improve us and our performances I like them all but track record of each with injury dubious
Charlie in my view was one of the most exciting prospects we have seen since Kouta but with continual knee injuries may only be a stay at home FF at the best but could have been much more

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:54 am 
Rod Ashman

Hornet wrote:
billc3 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
IMO....

Go Blues

When our coach showed some mongrel late last year some in our “leadership” group weren’t too impressed... kinda sums up our current predicament. As Judd once said, too many players looking after their own contract rather than team success... it’s plagued us for way too long.

We’re a nowhere club

Who gives a load what the leadership group thinks. The young ones take stock from the old. Bad habits will be ingrained if not already. Get rid of them now, starting with Murphy. We have another 20 players to pick from. FFS make a stand.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:09 pm 
Bert Deacon

i used to blame wayne hughes on how he ruined the club with poor selections with early draft picks .Now i am thinking sos (forget player) has really stuffed up . Gws players, sps,dow,o'brien but his greatest pick has been out for 2 yrs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:20 pm 
Craig Bradley

I have a different view it is the development when they get there
They go to swans hawks Geelong over the last 10 years they are good come to us don’t develop in the way they should

Post subject: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hornet wrote:
billc3 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
IMO....

Go Blues

We’re a nowhere club

The Prendercast summed it up well by saying that the immediate response from Teague to that should’ve been “where do you want to be traded to?”.

The softness of our team is matched by the body language and performances.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:38 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree but not where do you wanted to be traded to you will be plying your trade at North Melbourne next year

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/561218

Quote:
CARLTON
Julian Janev
Regan Uwandu
Domanic Akuei

Compared to other teams without Academies (GCS, Bris, GWS, Swans) we are asleep at the wheel, or we have been given dud territories....keogh??? free hit.

eg....

Quote:
Essendon**
Brayden Rioli
Jason Kenneth
Mason Bowden
John Orford
Marcus Eid
Mahat Ibrahim
Xavier Saly
Stanley Tipiloura
John Tipiloura
Michael Cooper
Jordon Bourke
Zander Te Brugge
Tommy Macumber
Ramzy Tannoura
Hassan Hussien
Tyson Tipuamantameri
Breyben Tipiloura
Marcus Jackman

Quote:
HAWTHORN
Jamieson Vail
Salele Feagaimalii
Sage Tapner
Jarrod Thompson
Noah Desta
Paul Haasbroek
Zachary Cileceken
Elliot Triegaardt
Jahmain Harrison
Jobe Somerville

Quote:
RICHMOND
Abel Conners
Mesang Dang
Will Dwyer
Ethan Baxter
Liua Polata
Rhylan Thorne
Antony Miller
Grant Fuller
Jim Bellas
Achoung Agog
Jake Zerbato
Noah Handy
Moala Polata
Mackenzie Cowley
Nyawi Moore
Ty-Reece Morgan

How about the interstate teams in footy states...

Quote:
WEST COAST
Manase Mankane
Henry Alforque
Ashwin Creswell
Jack Tozawa
Jordan Kickett
Yong Deng
Petra Black
Thomas Dainton
Jacob Abrha
Jordan Berry
Jamison Ugle
Lawson Humphries
Prabhakar Basnet
Jeremy Myeong
Oliver Tough
Ethan Regan
Tyler Thomas
Saxon Gates
Jael Crisan
Bonheur Cubahiro
Sokaa Soka
Braydon Fawcett
Sidney Roberts
Levi Kelly
Daniel Hill (Robertson)
Malcolm Garlett
Richard Farmer
Toby Henry

Quote:
FREMANTLE
Chris Walker
Keanu Haddow
Riley Colborne
Tristan Jacques
Kai Holmes
Seth Connor
Dominic Dravitzki
Lyle Sibosado
Eric Benning
Richard Bartlett
Xavier Wright
Cole Agnew
Jesse Motlop

Quote:
ADELAIDE
Diing Akur
Blake Cooper
Sung Hoon Ok
Lam Simon
Aiden Holland
Kynen Adams
Ba Nah Say
Isaiah Dudley
Jacob Lochowiak
Blayne O'Loughlin
Kobe Wilson
Lowan Welch
Mani Welch

Don’t know enough to comment

Interesting watching McAdam yesterday
Had a sensational second half after a poor first one
Another example of ignore state leagues and it can bite you on the arse well and truly
And I won’t mention Mitch McGovern or picks 26 and 28 once

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:57 pm 
Garry Crane

The way it looks at the moment we will finish in the bottom 5 so we have a good chance to get some early picks we should seriously look at moving Cripps on he has massive value if we can some how manage to get 2 top 10 picks for him that we give us 3 top 10 picks we can really get some much needed talent in

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Stranger wrote:
The way it looks at the moment we will finish in the bottom 5 so we have a good chance to get some early picks we should seriously look at moving Cripps on he has massive value if we can some how manage to get 2 top 10 picks for him that we give us 3 top 10 picks we can really get some much needed talent in

Yeah,right.We are good at getting early picks right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:

Don’t know enough to comment

Interesting watching McAdam yesterday
Had a sensational second half after a poor first one
Another example of ignore state leagues and it can bite you on the arse well and truly
And I won’t mention Mitch McGovern or picks 26 and 28 once

I think of you when I watch McAdam.
Some of the stuff he has done since his 2nd year has been top shelf.
But I see signs of complacency. An attitude thing. Conditional.
When he plays with urgency, like his next contract was up for renewal, he's better than McGovern.

I hear what you're saying, but we have to wait for the careers to end before we reflect.

I've gone off Gov.
I know what he can do, and he's an amazing physical specimen at 190cm. But he's also conditional.
Jack's my boy. Gov has to earn a spot in the best 22...in doing so, Jack may still keep his spot.
Who knows? Who knows what Gov will do.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:02 pm 
Banned

No free agents but all the players coming out of contract this year

Adelaide Crows
Tom Doedee
Darcy Fogarty
Lachlan Gollant
Fisher McAsey
Lachlan Murphy
Ronin O’Connor
Paul Seedsman
Kieran Strachan

Brisbane Lions
Zac Bailey
Keidean Coleman
Tom Fullarton
Cam Rayner
Lincoln McCarthy
Hugh McCluggage
Connor McFadyen
Oscar McInerney
Jaxon Prior
Deven Robertson
Brock Smith
Brandon Starcevich

Carlton Blues
Matt Cottrell
Michael Gibbons
Josh Honey
Brodie Kemp
Harry McKay
Nic Newman
Lochie O’Brien
Luke Parks
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Marc Pittonet
Sam Ramsay
Jack Silvagni

Collingwood Magpies
Trent Bianco
Darcy Cameron
Isaac Chugg
Jack Ginnivan
Levi Greenwood
Jay Rantall
Josh Noble
Trey Ruscoe
Brayden Sier
Anton Tohill
Tom Wilson

Essendon* Bombers
Nick Bryan
Ned Cahill
Tom Cutler
Matt Guelfi
Brayden Ham
Tom Hird
Lachlan Johnson
Harrison Jones
Jayden Laverde
Cian McBride
Ross McQuillan
Irving Mosquito
Darcy Parish
Andrew Phillips
Mason Redman
Devon Smith
Will Snelling
Jake Stringer
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

Fremantle Dockers
Andrew Brayshaw
Adam Cerra
Travis Colyer
Mitchell Crowden
Taylin Duman
Minairo Frederick
Stefan Giro
Ethan Hughes
Lloyd Meek
Lachlan Schultz
Sam Switkowski
Josh Treacy
Darcy Tucker
Nathan Wilson

Geelong Cats
Tom Atkins
Charlie Constable
Francis Evans
Zach Guthrie
Jack Henry
Ben Jarvis
Josh Jenkins
Nathan Kreuger
Sam Menegola
Quinton Narkle
Stefan Okunbor
Esava Ratugolea
Gryan Miers
Rhys Stanley
Cooper Stephens
Cameron Taheny

Gold Coast Suns
Noah Anderson
Jy Farrar
Sam Flanders
Aiden Fyfe
Rhys Nicholls
Wil Powell
Malcolm Rosas
Jeremy Sharp
Luke Towey
Lachlan Weller

GWS Giants
Lachlan Ash
Callum Brown
Brent Daniels
Matthew Flynn
Tom Green
Jacob Hopper
Thomas Hutchesson
Daniel Lloyd
Jake Riccardi
Nicholas Shipley

Hawthorn Hawks
James Cousins
Will Day
Damon Greaves
Blake Hardwick
Daniel Howe
Changkuoth Jiath
Finn Maginness
Josh Morris
Conor Nash
Harry Pepper
Jack Saunders
Tom Scully
James Worpel

Melbourne Demons
Oskar Baker
Alex Neal-Bullen
Clayton Oliver
Kysaiah Pickett
Luke Jackson
Trent Rivers
Aaron Vandenberg
Sam Weideman

North Melbourne Kangaroos
Tom Campbell
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Aaron Hall
Ben McKay
Dom Tyson
Patrick Walker

Port Adelaide Power
Riley Bonner
Kane Farrell
Joel Garner
Sam Hayes
Jackson Mead
Steven Motlop
Taj Schofield

Richmond Tigers
Liam Baker
Noah Balta
Shai Bolton
Jason Castagna
Callum Coleman-Jones
Noah Cumberland
Thomson Dow
Will Martyn
Patrick Naish
Bigoa Nyuon
Dion Prestia
Hugo Ralphsmith
Daniel Rioli
Ivan Soldo
Sydney Stack

St Kilda Saints
Sam Alabakis
Dan Butler
Ryan Byrnes
Hunter Clark
Nick Coffield
Leo Connolly
Zak Jones
Dean Kent
Tim Membrey
Patrick Ryder
Jack Sinclair
Callum Wilkie

Sydney Swans
Malachy Carruthers
Jordan Dawson
Robbie Fox
Sam Gray
Colin O’Riordan
Callum Sinclair
Dylan Stephens
Chad Warner

West Coast Eagles
Jarrod Brander
Liam Duggan
Callum Jamieson
Ben Johnson
Jackson Nelson
Jack Redden
Josh Rotham
Zane Trew
Daniel Venables

Western Bulldogs
Louis Butler
Zaine Cordy
Riley Garcia
Patrick Lipinski
Ed Richards
Jordon Sweet
Laitham Vandermeer
Cody Weightman
Bailey Williams
Lewis Young

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
Stranger wrote:

Yeah,right.We are good at getting early picks right.

Its got to be players, we are trading picks and first round draftees end of the year the way its looking....for today, whilst I'm still annoyed.

What about Freo's Cerra and Serong for Cripps which was mentioned to me the other day?
Its spots in our best 22 we need to fill. We can't do that with picks....unless we hand them off for some bonafide best 22 players. Plural.

Cripps will be good again. He hasn't been that bad either, but by his standards...gotta do it for 4 quarters. Learn to share the load.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:11 pm 
Banned

Pending on what happens with Charlie by EOY we might need a Full Forward but hopefully he plays at least five games this year.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 76  Next