Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:57 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
malbi wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
List management priorities need to be based on how we think we're gonna play in 2022 and onwards.

With that in mind we need to decide on the following:

What our Ruck situation is going to be -
a) Do we play one ruckman with a tall utility to offer a chop-out?
b) Do we play two genuine rucks?

If a) who is that tall utility player? Do we need to trade one in? Do we think that at this stage in his career De Koning is that player and Pittonet is the no 1 ruckman?
If b) do we need another ruck on the list so that we can play the same style in the VFL, and to provide depth?

This then affects our forward set-up -
Our no. 1 and no. 2 tall forwards are set: McKay & Curnow. We then have either a resting ruckman or a tall utility-type. That's probably enough talls, so where do players like Silvagni & McGovern fit into this set-up?

An inform Casboult circa round 1-6 in 2020 was so crucial for us. The best contested mark in the AFL and at 200cm and 105kg could hole his ground in the ruck. Perfect.

If DeKoning could get his timing for marking sorted he'd be great as the 3rd tall/ruck. But, at some stage, DeKoning will be No.1 ruck and it may well be 2022 if he has a huge preseason developing his strength.

Silvagni and Gov wouldn't be needed as 3rd tall if we had a bonafide ruck-forward.

I'm an unabashed fan of 2 genuine rucks who are a threat forward too.

Silvagni is perfect as a big bodies mid imo.

I don't want Silvagni rucking...unless we have no choice due to injury.

I think the ruck position is almost our most pressing. DeKoning is 2-3 years off what we need him to be. He needs to bulk up, get fitter and get a bit of mongrel about him. He needs to have a big pre-season. Pittonet can't jump off the ground. He's not the answer. We need to find a new No 1 ruckman from somewhere. DeKoning can develop in the forward line and relieve ruck.

Spot on

Midfielders feed off rucks work. I think the hit outs to advantage that show Pitto in top 5 or 10 av hits to adv ...whatever ..I just don't see it and need a definition of what is considered hit outs to advantage.

I recall one game I followed up to see when Pitto had his 4 hit outs to advantage and the only thing I could find remotely to advantage was when Pitto hit the ball to a space ... but each time the opposition ended up swooping on it. :roll:

It’s fairly self explanatory.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:26 pm 
Robert Walls

For academic purposes, here's Melbourne's backline last night:

Harrison Petty - 197cm (21)
Jake Lever - 194 cm (25)
Steven May - 190 cm (29)
Trent Rivers - 188 cm (20)
Michael Hibberd - 186 cm (31)
Christian Salem - 185 cm (26)
Jake Bowey - 176 cm (18)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:49 am 
Banned

Backline can only be as good as the midfield same goes with forward line.

Grand final will be about two dynamic and powerful midfield groups. Other parts of the ground are not A++

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:52 am 
formerly Fevola

Yep agree on this. We need a strong midfield, otherwise there is no way we are contending. We haven’t really put any focus in the midfield for years. And when we do get a midfielder we play them back or forward with midfield stints.

I still think Fisher and SPS would made good full time midfielders. Not part time ones as its a confidence wrecker.

Post subject: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:21 am 
Wayne Johnston

Walsh wrote:
Backline can only be as good as the midfield same goes with forward line.

Grand final will be about two dynamic and powerful midfield groups. Other parts of the ground are not A++

Agree, imagine how much better Jones and Weitering would be if they had a midfield that allowed them both to play like Aliir Aliir.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Let's see how our midfield performs under a decent coach.
Instead of pushing a player back spare in defence, let's play a more balanced game style and allow our midfield to contest against equal numbers.
It's not as dire as some posters would lead you to believe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:31 am 
Banned

SPS doesn't do enough without the ball.
Fisher is unreliable and too many injuries maybe AFL is too vigorous for him.

We really only have two midfielders Walsh and Cripps and Cripps has been playing sub average.

Hopefully Cerra can become our Mcrae but still need to find a Libba-Viney and two wings.

Post subject: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:37 am 
Wayne Johnston

Walsh wrote:

We really only have two midfielders Walsh and Cripps and Cripps has been playing sub average.

Hopefully Cerra can become our Mcrae but still need to find a Libba-Viney and two wings.

Curnow is our most reliable midfielder apart from Walsh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:38 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
Instead of pushing a player back spare in defence, let's play a more balanced game style and allow our midfield to contest against equal numbers.

:thanks: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:39 am 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:

I often wonder how many people have watched Cerra play and the role he performs?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:41 am 
Banned

sinbagger wrote:
Walsh wrote:

..and that's sad. He is a machine and a good role model but kicks the ball blindly too much a turn over merchant if there ever was one and had a crap year along with Cripps.

His tackling count has halved from 2018-2019. he is basically an average player in the competition and need better quality.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:42 am 
Horrie Clover

Theyre all fine just most of them are young and inconsistent.

When you look at the better teams in the comp the thing to look at is how good their good is vs how bad their bad is.

When the gap between them is too large the main issue is usually about conditioning and experience. The younger players spend a lot of fuel tickets for minimum impact. Over time they work this out (this is what makes walsh remarkable).

The more time in the system the better they usually perform.

The gap between best and worst shrinks and you see their better footy more frequently.

The bad days can happen to anyone and eventually you run into an opposition side in red hot form at the wrong moment and wooshka.

Most of our sos draftees are still working this part of their game out, and most of them have had at least one significant set back that has pushed them back a little.

It also helps if you don't have glaring weaknesses in the tram whilst they're coming on too. For most of the last 10 years we have had significant holes in key positions and just as we've worked out our backs and forwards our ruck division has gone a bit flaky.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

sinbagger wrote:

I agree.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

Walsh wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Walsh wrote:

..and that's sad. He is a machine and a good role model but kicks the ball blindly too much a turn over merchant if there ever was one and had a crap year along with Cripps.

His tackling count has halved from 2018-2019. he is basically an average player in the competition and need better quality.

I value Curnow in our side. He is a great role model, works hard and does a good job every week. But I do agree his disposal is not always to our advantage. Usually it is because he is often under great pressure in the middle of a pack and has to rush. A savvy coach would have been able to remedy this by a game plan that had teammates running to positions to support Ed and be in a position to receive a handball.

I was really impressed with the team efforts of both prelim finals. Teammates gave the ball carrier heaps of options when in trouble. On the other hand I cannot count the number of times I screamed at my TV during the season for our players to run to positions to support our player in possession and provide options for a handball or footpass.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

NTBlue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
Walsh wrote:

I value Curnow in our side. He is a great role model, works hard and does a good job every week. But I do agree his disposal is not always to our advantage. Usually it is because he is often under great pressure in the middle of a pack and has to rush. A savvy coach would have been able to remedy this by a game plan that had teammates running to positions to support Ed and be in a position to receive a handball.

I was really impressed with the team efforts of both prelim finals. Teammates gave the ball carrier heaps of options when in trouble. On the other hand I cannot count the number of times I screamed at my TV during the season for our players to run to positions to support our player in possession and provide options for a handball or footpass.

Me too ! didn't back each other up . It was like some of those blokes didn't like each other . Like certain players ignoring each other ( e.g. Dow ) . it was like there was a team within a team ............. So yeah , i see where you are coming from .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:19 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:

Watching the Geel Melb game, I saw 3 Melb mids pretty much in their D15 helping out the backs on the last line. They didn't need to be elite... they just needed to be there offering an option, a spoil, a tackle, a smother, a shepherd, an outlet etc. etc. (stuff you teach kids in U14s)

This midfield excuse is bs. Yes, we need to bat deeper, but we need their mindset totally re-programmed so that they run up and down the field as their DEFAULT actions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:25 pm 
Bert Deacon

mids mids and quick ,run ,support ,help in defence this is why we should trade sps,setters,just plodders kennedy slow cripps slow curnow fitness fantastic but slow and disposable poor . i just hope dow and cunners can stand up 2022.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Watching the Geel Melb game, I saw 3 Melb mids pretty much in their D15 helping out the backs on the last line. They didn't need to be elite... they just needed to be there offering an option, a spoil, a tackle, a smother, a shepherd, an outlet etc. etc. (stuff you teach kids in U14s)

This midfield excuse is bs. Yes, we need to bat deeper, but we need their mindset totally re-programmed so that they run up and down the field as their DEFAULT actions

Unfortunately there has been senior players at the club for the past 15 years (no longer there) whose default actions have not been THAT and that their behaviour has been modelled and ingrained in the following playing group - going to need a very strong new coaching philosophy to get that out of our DNA.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:

It would be good to get a Jackson Macrae in the guts winning plenty of ball.
He is listed at 191 but I think he's actually 193, and is a great inside mid with great break away speed from the centre for a big boy.
Maybe Cerra can be that player.

Cerra like Dow is 187cm and both born in Oct 1999, so not small, not too young, but Cerra has really nice skills and balance and similar pace to Dow; maybe Dow maybe more explosive.
Next year, they will both be 22 going on to 23 so its time Dow stepped up, and stop teasing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jamespul65 wrote:
mids mids and quick ,run ,support ,help in defence this is why we should trade sps,setters,just plodders kennedy slow cripps slow curnow fitness fantastic but slow and disposable poor . i just hope dow and cunners can stand up 2022.

i'M 100% in agreeance with his. Not quick enough. All one paced. Disposal questionable. SPS can kick long and short though. There's never a long option for him to show it off...I know his kicking for goal was abysmal towards the end this year. Anyway, he's 50-50 as he stands right this minute. How much of that is Teague? I can't put it all on the coach.

Dow and Cunners crucial...unfortunately, Cunners not available till midseason, if rehab goes well, even then he will not be at his best.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 76  Next