Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:31 am 
Ken Hunter

I am sure how this works.
If he was not offered a contract does that make him a free agent?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 am 
formerly Fevola

kezza wrote:

No Kezza. Will only be a free agent if we delist him. I dont know if he is a restricted free agent or not. If thats the case, i hear we offered him 1 year so we would at least match to force a trade.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 am 
Ken Hunter

Drewgirl wrote:
kezza wrote:

No Kezza. Will only be a free agent if we delist him. I dont know if he is a restricted free agent or not. If thats the case, i hear we offered him 1 year so we would at least match to force a trade.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

frank dardew wrote:
Agree ABNS but I’m in the SOS camp ie he was renown in dealing with other parties that he needed a bit more before he could agree to the deal
I think we need a little bit more than pick 31
I also think whilst we don’t want DODO reputation Austin does need to ensure that we have a reputation that whilst we will do a deal we won’t be a rollover merchant either

More would be good, but realistically I think #29 (#31) is all we can expect. If we can eek a future 3rd rounder as well that would be a bonus. A better outcome would be that SPS meets with the new coach and decides to stay, but I suspect that’s unlikely.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:36 pm 
Craig Bradley

I like him want him to stay but Carltons response from Lloyd seems to be happy to trade

Yes try to eke out another draft pick

I wonder if they will try to swap Brander as wc would want to keep draft picks to regenerate an old list

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:08 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

frank dardew wrote:
I like him want him to stay but Carltons response from Lloyd seems to be happy to trade

Yes try to eke out another draft pick

I wonder if they will try to swap Brander as wc would want to keep draft picks to regenerate an old list

Agree and thought it was a weak response from Lloyd.
Contrast that with Dodo last year where he used "compelling compensation" and the words Peter Bell used re Cerra.
Puts them on the front foot with negotiations. We are always seemingly on the back foot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

SOS used to drive others crazy by I just need a bit more in deals but they at least knew he wasn’t going to be done over
Having said that wasn’t considered a Dodo but would certainly want at least an equitable bargain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:37 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Exactly. Wouldn't put SOS in the same category as Dodo either and whilst I'm certainly not in the SOS was the greatest list manager in the history of the universe and was poorly dealt with camp.
I'm also not in the SOS was hopeless camp either.
I did like the fact that he generally drove a hard bargain and was prepared to stick to his guns.
Sometimes the best deal to make is to not make a deal at all. We need to learn to walk away from bad deals.
If that means SPS goes in PSD and we get nothing, so be it. Need to send a message long term that we wont be pushed around.
Not suggesting we are getting pushed around in this trade as nothing has happened so time will tell.

Last edited by rhino27 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

Agree Rhino and whilst it is the last option it wouldn’t hurt to say to WC and SPS that if we don’t get adequate compensation he can go into PSD and he can play with North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:40 pm 
formerly Fevola

Bit of noise coming out today about our players not played in their best positions.

Cripps - Said it was best SPS leaves for a fresh start to play is natural game. ie midfield

SOS - SPS was drafted as a mid forward but was put in the back line and that stifled his development.

SOS - Our midfielders are not being developed properly. Getting midfield time for a few games and then back out again. Ie Dow and Setterfield.

So So true. I just hope this issue is at the forefront of questioning to our new coach.

I think as a leader ie the Coach should make sure players are happy in the position they are most natural at and are happy with. That is how you will get the best out of them.

I know Liam Jones was an exception to the rule but as soon as he was moved to the backline he excelled so stayed there. But they didnt I would expect to try them somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

Setterfield got dropped because he’s @#$%&! hopeless.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Aidan Corr of GC delisted. 190cm fast and can play on the wing.

I know its GC but worth a rookie spot?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

Corr plays for North.

There’s an Aiden Fyfe got canned from GC.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
Agree ABNS but I’m in the SOS camp ie he was renown in dealing with other parties that he needed a bit more before he could agree to the deal
I think we need a little bit more than pick 31
I also think whilst we don’t want DODO reputation Austin does need to ensure that we have a reputation that whilst we will do a deal we won’t be a rollover merchant either

Agree he's worth more than pick 31.

And, I don't want another rollover merchant display like last year with pick 8, because I will become a fan of DODO.

I worked out points last night...

Our Pick 6 is 1751 for former pick 5 Cerra
SPS was a pick 5

WCE Pick 29 is 653 points
WCE pick 36 is 502 points
WCE pick 49 is 287 points

Pick 29 & 49 equivalent to pick 20
Pick 29 & 36 equivalent to pick 14

Total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:34 pm 
Robert Walls

I think its time to be pragmatic:

SPSs heart is not in...pack your bags, good luck and get the best we can

Teague stuffed him around with positioning but he was also gifted more games than anyone I can remember

SPSs efforts on the ground were pretty ordinary more often than not

This is why I'm warming to Voss...we need to drive elite and uncompromising standards. A player asking to go home (after 4 underwhelming years) already has the wrong mindset for my liking

Voss's assistants can help out with tactics and and game plan. That's the cherry on top. Voss will (hopefully) change the mindset in the locker rooms which changes actions on the field

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

99prelim wrote:
I think its time to be pragmatic:

SPSs heart is not in...pack your bags, good luck and get the best we can

Teague stuffed him around with positioning but he was also gifted more games than anyone I can remember

I tend to agree.

SPS lost his way under Teague (as did Dow and a few others), but it’s not all the coach’s fault. SPS has to take some responsibility for the way it worked out. We got him to 94 games very quickly when you consider his output over the four years. He often stood out as a weak link defensively and I won’t miss those dinky 20 metre kicks.

It’s very disappointing when a high draft pick turns out to be a bust. Especially when there’s a good chance he’ll go to another environment and thrive. He has talent but, as Cook says, don’t get too seduced by talent. If his heart isn’t in it at Carlton anymore, we have to move on.

I would love to think he could stay and turn it around under the new coach, but it sounds like the ship has sailed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yes he needs to take responsibility for his own career but coaching last 2 years hasn’t helped.
Don’t think he will be a star at WC because he is too inconsistent, doesn’t seem to really like the physical aspects of the game and doesn’t seem to have the tank to play as an on baller
Having said that we will see flashes of brilliance and we will be play some good games snd I might be completely wrong
His heart isn’t at Carlton so see you later Buddy

Saying all that will not be happy to give him up for pick 31 and we need to show spine here
Lloyd making the supine statement that we will work out a deal with WC is already being interpreted by the press as Carlton not putting up a fight in respect of the trade
We don’t want and cannot get that reputation if our players want to leave
WC have never done us any favours andSimpsons derogatory and dismissive view of us in the documentary the other year should be uppermost in our minds here

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:

he was also gifted more games than anyone I can remember

...and that's how I feel about it after all the excuses re Teague, development bla bla bla

Lacked that consistent desire to win the contest from afar.

I'm not going to miss him, and I don't feel we've lost a McLeod clone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:

Saying all that will not be happy to give him up for pick 31 and we need to show spine here
Lloyd making the supine statement that we will work out a deal with WC is already being interpreted by the press as Carlton not putting up a fight in respect of the trade
We don’t want and cannot get that reputation if our players want to leave
WC have never done us any favours andSimpsons derogatory and dismissive view of us in the documentary the other year should be uppermost in our minds here

We give away pick 6 and we have 25 and 61.

After picks WCE pick 29 is pick 36 ... then 49....65....

Pick 36 is too low.

If we don't accept the deal, it shows to SPS we value him, and a 1 year contract is sitting there for the taking, OR he walks to the PSD.
Lets find out about his so called love for Carlton....and let the footy world we don't just give away players.

I guess Austin will accept pick 29 and 36 and we hand them pick 49 ... or preferably 65 ... if we are lucky.

Like you said, Austin's tone suggests we try and get the best we can. There's no real desire to keep SPS, hence feels like a Tuohy low ball to get him off the list.

Even Crippa was happy for him to get a fresh start elsewhere ... maybe he feels SPS hasn't got what it takes for Blues to take the next step up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
West Coast will try to low ball Carlton in a deal for outgoing Blue Sam Petrevski-Seton, who has already been declared a contender for recruit of the year next season.

The playmaker was frustrated by his lack of opportunities through the midfield at Calton has an eye on a wing-half forward role at West Coast in 2022.

Quote:
But the Blues aren’t going to receive a high pick in return for a man who former Carlton list boss Stephen Silvagni nabbed originally nabbed with pick No. 6.

West Coast has selections N0. 10. No. 29 and No. 35 but will likely offer pick No. 49 first up when talks begin next week.

Quote:
Former Collingwood and Carlton great Dale Thomas said former teammate Petrevski-Seton loomed as one of the pick-ups of the year for the Eagles.

“I can see him being one the Carlton fans in a year’s time say ‘Geez, what are we doing letting him go, or how didn’t we keep him’ and ‘how didn’t we get the best out of him because he has unbelievable skills’,” Thomas said on Triple M.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-tackle-jon-ralphs-pre2021-grand-final-likes-and-dislikes/news-story/1d84db1dbca5624d3ff19cc8c9f4c852

Pick 49 ...yeah right.

Sounds like Simpson has already committed to SPS as a mid forward. Good.
Now that he's promised the world to SPS to get him over to them, he can save face, and pay what he's worth.
Are they suggesting to SPS he's only worth pick 49?

Would not let him go for that, for the same reasons frank dardrew outlined above.

We were prepared to give GCS a 2nd rounder for martin and they rejected that before he walked.
SPS is at least pick 29...at least.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 76  Next