Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2021
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm hoping the future is Mirkov 210cm and TDK 203 cm ruck-forward tandem.

But these 22yo's are going to take time...maybe 2-4 years.

maybe Chol is the guy we should be after to bridge the gap.
He turns 25yo in January, and is ahead of the 2 we have.

I think he may be better than 24yo Pitto in the ruck.
We have to address the ruck forward position now if our finals window opens 2022-3.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:18 am 
Bert Deacon

bondiblue wrote:
I'm hoping the future is Mirkov 210cm and TDK 203 cm ruck-forward tandem.

But these 22yo's are going to take time...maybe 2-4 years.

maybe Chol is the guy we should be after to bridge the gap.
He turns 25yo in January, and is ahead of the 2 we have.

I think he may be better than 24yo Pitto in the ruck.
We have to address the ruck forward position now if our finals window opens 2022-3.

I agree. Saw flashes of class from him this year. Will be a weapon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:30 am 
Rod Ashman

Not sure why they are going for long term contracts with players like George Hewett from the Sydney Swans.

4 years?

Why??

3 years is better...or 2 years even better.

Hewett wasn't in the top 10 in their best and fairest and was a bit inconsistent.

Seems a bit weird to be so desperate for him on a 4 year deal.

4 years means you could lock in on a dud like McGovern = 5 years of dud.

This in turn means when you want to get a good player you have less options.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am 
Horrie Clover

tap in 79 wrote:
Not sure why they are going for long term contracts with players like George Hewett from the Sydney Swans.

4 years?

Why??

Hewett wasn't in the top 10 in their best and fairest and was a bit inconsistent.

True enough but the way I see it, sometimes when moving interstate, players need some certainty ahead of wages. So, 4 years on X amount of dollars, might be the equivalent of 3 years on Y amount of Dollars or 2 years on Z amount of dollars.

The player is likely to accept less wages for a longer period because it takes a lot of uncertainty out of the equation and might see him happier to choose us initially. Until the deal is done though it could all be public talking up his price to get a better deal out of Sydney, so take any conversation with a grain of salt here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

thryleon wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:

4 years?

Why??

True enough but the way I see it, sometimes when moving interstate, players need some certainty ahead of wages. So, 4 years on X amount of dollars, might be the equivalent of 3 years on Y amount of Dollars or 2 years on Z amount of dollars.

The player is likely to accept less wages for a longer period because it takes a lot of uncertainty out of the equation and might see him happier to choose us initially. Until the deal is done though it could all be public talking up his price to get a better deal out of Sydney, so take any conversation with a grain of salt here.

Yeah, I get your point.... and I guess if he is on 4 years but low wages it could be worth the risk, but I doubt he has ever finished top 10 in their best and fairest.... I would think 3 years gives him enough security.

This long term contract stuff for dubious players hasn't worked with McGovern.

We don't need more fringe players.

I checked 2020 and 2021 B&F - he didn't make top 10 in either.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/826 ... -medallist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 pm 
Horrie Clover

^^ I actually think we need more consistent footballers, and Hewitt is a classic moneyball pickup. Hes averaged 20 games a year over 6 years. Something our blokes struggle with is getting on and staying the park, and he plugs a midfield hole where we have a bunch of promising but inconsistent, and lack of 4 quarter effort players.

He comes at the right age, and shouldnt cost a lot, but again, the devil in these deals is in the details.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

thryleon wrote:
^^ I actually think we need more consistent footballers, and Hewitt is a classic moneyball pickup. Hes averaged 20 games a year over 6 years. Something our blokes struggle with is getting on and staying the park, and he plugs a midfield hole where we have a bunch of promising but inconsistent, and lack of 4 quarter effort players.

He comes at the right age, and shouldnt cost a lot, but again, the devil in these deals is in the details.

Yeah, ok, that is a good counter-argument.

On those points I can see that he is worth the punt, but I still baulk at 4 year deals unless you know the player has bona fide moral capabilities. A lot of those GWS ones we picked the awful ones..
Also, the McGovern one leaves me feeling a bit dubious about doing it again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:06 pm 
Horrie Clover

tap in 79 wrote:
thryleon wrote:

On those points I can see that he is worth the punt, but I still baulk at 4 year deals unless you know the player has bona fide moral capabilities. A lot of those GWS ones we picked the awful ones..

Fair point, but I think even Mcgovern has better in him.

From his time at Adelaide I remember a high marking, straight kicking match winner.

We havent seen that, but likewise, we havent seen him on the park as much as we would like, AND our forward line has been nothing but inconsistent since he arrived.

My bigger problem with McGovern was that he didnt fill an obvious need in the team when we got him, and seemed a bit of a reach (this does look a bit like that, so understand where you are coming from here). The important point is that his teamates rate him highly as do the coaches which means hes a good team player and we definately need more of that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:10 pm 
formerly Fevola

thryleon wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
thryleon wrote:

Fair point, but I think even Mcgovern has better in him.

I think McGovern is not taking footy seriously, and having his mate Teague did not help. He needs a tougher coach to tell him how it is. Once that happens, think we will see a different McGovern.

From his time at Adelaide I remember a high marking, straight kicking match winner.

We havent seen that, but likewise, we havent seen him on the park as much as we would like, AND our forward line has been nothing but inconsistent since he arrived.

My bigger problem with McGovern was that he didnt fill an obvious need in the team when we got him, and seemed a bit of a reach (this does look a bit like that, so understand where you are coming from here). The important point is that his teamates rate him highly as do the coaches which means hes a good team player and we definately need more of that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Archie Smith from Brisbane has requested a trade.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:29 pm 
Banned

No. Attitudinal issues.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:19 am 
Bert Deacon

tap in 79 wrote:
He was runner-up in 2019.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/132016/swans-cocaptain-rampe-wins-first-bob-skilton-medal-in-a-landslide

7th in 2018 and 5th in 2017.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:32 am 
Harry Vallence

tap in 79 wrote:

4 years?

Why??

At least Hewett will bring something majority of our 22 lack and don’t know how to apply , and that’s tackling and applying pressure around the contest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:51 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

snakehips wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
He was runner-up in 2019.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/132016/swans-cocaptain-rampe-wins-first-bob-skilton-medal-in-a-landslide

7th in 2018 and 5th in 2017.

Saved me time snakehips.

He's a damn hard footballer.

He hasn't been inconsistent this year at all.

Swans had a great 2021 season and no disgrace not making the top 10.
Franklin was no. 10.

Plenty of lesser like players had huge years and deserved to be top 10 at the Swans: Florent, McInerney, Hickey, Dawson.

The usual suspects Lloyd, Parker, Heeney, Mills and Papley are fair competition for the top 10.

Hewett is a valuable player, and Swans can cover him and get value for him, to replenish their list.

I don't know how the Swans do it, but its not Academy, its the late picks they develop to become hardened skilful players who play a role.

Hewett will be good for Carlton for 4 years. I just hope Carlton can be good for Hewett.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:38 am 
Harry Vallence

I think he'll be everything we hoped Setterfield would be this year.

I also think we'll probably persist with playing him and Curnow in the same midfield rotation, let alone the same 22 for longer than we should.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

I also think we'll probably persist with playing him and Curnow in the same midfield rotation, let alone the same 22 for longer than we should.

Are you saying Hewett is a stop gap and if we give him 4 years he will be in the 22 longer than we should? or Curnow?

Hewett turns 26yo on 29th December. There's 4-5 good years in him, form permitting imo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

I'm saying him and Ed both have similar value and limitations as players (as far as how effective they are offensively and disposal by foot) which is only highlighted by the 6-6-6 changes.

I don't think you can play both in the same side. Numerous coaches have been trying to re-deploy Ed in different roles unsuccessfully since Ratten. Hewett's best value is by far as a lockdown player on the opposition's best mid - I'd hope we're not paying that sort of money for us to experiment with him as a defensive forward.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:36 pm 
Craig Bradley

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:

Therein lies the rub.

Inside mid is arguably the best-stocked position on our list. None of them are capable of rotating out of the centre/on ball to a wing or half forward role. They could rotate through half back, but they’ll need to move the co-captain, the guy we surrendered a top five pick for, and $1.5m worth of targeted recruiting out of the way first.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Agreed.

I'd rather Mitch Wallis on that sort of coin for the fact he can. But on the other hand, every Dogs game I've watched in the past 2 years shows he's not all that effective at it either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

News floating around Newnes Parks and Boyd delisted

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 76  Next